Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I imagine not too many of you have heard of Skye. She is mainly a back-up singer, but has some songs. I like this cover a lot.

Legend
Legend

I love to hear different styles of music so I appreciate this post. I never heard them before.

I have strong jazz roots and have always loved the blended sound of sax and trumpet. Getz and Gilberto back in the day blended the South American beat and sound with the tenor sax of Stan Getz to create some magic.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Something old skool sounding... something a little funky...
Tahuna Breaks...

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I like Gorillaz and the song and this cover brings new light to that song.

It has always interested me how some covers work.

If you have a stylist who brings it to a great song sometimes it works better than the original.

I am a Dylan fan. His lyrics are simply amazing. Sometimes I prefer his version. But then you hear Hendrix do All Along The Watchtower and it blows your mind.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Funking up your Saturday morning... bring the horns, bring the keys, bring the bass, and bring the heat... add in a good message and you got...
The Motet

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
The video doesn't look great, but the song is.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kKdVIY4Bk

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Say this guy opening for Social Distortion, and fell in love with his music, dude has great passion for his songs.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Do you like jazz? Soul? Acid influences? Funk? Haunting vocals? Orchestras?

Well, you can enjoy them all if you listen to Portishead. Check it out:

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think some of you may have heard of her, but probably most have not.

I am not a musical expert, but Mazzy Starr combined several unique elements. Folksy. Druggy. Mystical. Shy. Reclusive. Mesmerizing.

I have seen her live...as Mazzy Star twice, once in the 90s and again a few years ago when they released a new album. Also seen her solo three times (Hope Sandoval & the New Bavairans). She is beautiful, but painfully shy and apparently suffers extreme stage fright. All 5 times I have seen her the club is almost entirely black with maybe just a soft blue light on her. She barely moves, rarely talks to the crowd and often covers her face with her long hair. It is awkward, yet strangely mysterious and alluring. On record, however, she is phenomenal. That said, they all sound very similar in that dreamy, folky, droney, psychedelic way (even her solo records do).

My wife and I just saw these dudes....new band out of Seattle and they were amazing! They have one album out and it is a killer! We have played it often since seeing them!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Do you like jazz? Soul? Acid influences? Funk? Haunting vocals? Orchestras?

Well, you can enjoy them all if you listen to Portishead.

Not as haunting as Portishead, but England had a lot of this jazzy, trip hop/lounge bands in the 90s/early 00's. Massive Attack and Morcheeba are a couple others who are well worth checking out. However, I love the first couple Zero 7 albums. Very soothing, hypnotic and rather gorgeous to the ears:

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Always good to read your takes on music. Welcome back.

All Pro
All Pro
How did this thread slip by me? Great topic! I've been in a rut listening to the same stuff lately. Looks like the little woman and I will have quite the YouTube playlist, while we hang out tonight. Good times a comin.

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This is a cover of Pink Floyd's "Shine On" done by Christy Moore.
Although he is not well known stateside,he was a member of the group Planxty with Paul Brady and Donal Lunny.That would equate to a super group of tradional Irish musicians.

Christy Moore Shine On

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Erika Hughes and the Well Mannered.
A Columbus based band. Some very good friends of my brother in law. He plays in band with Erika’s husband.
Enjoy...

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
Had to bring out the laptop for this, so if my syntax is sinful it's my own darn fault and not the autocorrect on my kids tablet. Grandma took all the grandkids so we ended up with my brothers in law over tonight. I was forced to share the music selections. The southern fried variants went over well with the group and DAMN I really liked that Motet, Portland. Nobody else did, but it had me goin.

The fam pooped out early, but I'm still standing, which brings me to my first contribution. You all read The Giving Tree, Light in the Attic, or Where the Sidewalk Ends when you were little? Me too. Always loved that stuff. It's not okay to say you smoke down yet, but Shel Silverstein never cared. Beware of being the roller when there's nothing left to roll.

#gmstrong

All Pro
All Pro
Got to reminiscing tonight. Got me thinking bout the good old days:

#gmstrong

All Pro
All Pro
This isn't new, but it was new to me. Brother played it tonight and I think he's got his finger on the pulse of you country rockers.

#gmstrong

All Pro
All Pro
If I was stuck on a deserted island and could only pick one album side worth of music to listen to on repeat this would make the cut. Have to rebuy this, but can't find it.

#gmstrong

All Pro
All Pro
This dude can play! He gets on that groove and I feel like my chest is gonna burst. Guess he always played, but lacked confidence. Decided to play covers at a local pizza joint gradually working in his own tunes as he bent favorable ears.

#gmstrong

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: VarmintKong
Had to bring out the laptop for this, so if my syntax is sinful it's my own darn fault and not the autocorrect on my kids tablet. Grandma took all the grandkids so we ended up with my brothers in law over tonight. I was forced to share the music selections. The southern fried variants went over well with the group and DAMN I really liked that Motet, Portland. Nobody else did, but it had me goin.

The fam pooped out early, but I'm still standing, which brings me to my first contribution. You all read The Giving Tree, Light in the Attic, or Where the Sidewalk Ends when you were little? Me too. Always loved that stuff. It's not okay to say you smoke down yet, but Shel Silverstein never cared. Beware of being the roller when there's nothing left to roll.

Glad you liked that Motet track. Not sure what’s not to like. If you’ve got any soul you have to like funk. Check out their album Totem. They picked up a new vocalist and added a new keys player around then. Changed their sound significantly. Took a step up from their previous stuff for sure.
Glad you dug it. Sure you’ll enjoy Totem too. Let the haters hate. wink

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Any McKee’s take in Toto’s Africa is insane.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’ve seen Leftover Salmon a bunch over the years. Met them all back in the mid 90’s backstage at the Newport. RIP Mark Vaughn. Man that kid could play a banjo. Their original bass player, Tye North, is an acquaintance of mine now here in Portland all these years later. Vince Herman still plays a festival that I work out here just about every year.
Super talented group of kids they were.

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
This is one of my recent discoveries. Well, w/in the last 3 months. It reminds me of some of the stuff from the '20s and I like the upbeat tempo. My dogs and I dance to this every time it comes on the kitchen Bose on one of my Pandora stations.

Give it a listen and tell me you aren't tapping your feet. LOL

Didn't get to this last night, but I sure wish I did. I don't know what you look like Vers, but I imagine what I imagine you look like doing dancing dishes in an assembly line where you dogs dries.

this has me beboppin round the house, while cleaning up before the kids got home this morning. However my boxer wouldn't dance, he wouldn't even hold the trash bag for me the lazy mutt.

#gmstrong

E
Legend
Legend
E

Mongolian heavy metal band with weird instruments and throat music. This is awesome in so many ways.

https://youtu.be/jM8dCGIm6yc

This is totally a primal, tribalistic sports anthem.

No Craps Given
All Pro
All Pro
Dude?! How did you even find this. It's certainly off the beaten path, those Mongolian bikers just made their own on the grassy expanse of the steppe. I actually found myself enjoying this though. I feel like this could be played at the stadium on Sundays with some minor modifications, but still keeping the throaty singer. Picture the stadium packed, as the team is about to be introduced the heirs of Chinggis Khan begin:

When Bengal come we rumble like thunder,
Raven come we strike like lightning,
Steeler come we crush and obliterate,
Cleveland Browns bring the wrath of heaven.

At this point, instead of Mongolian bikers chanting Hu Hu Hu, 70,000+ Woof Woof Woof as the team bursts onto the field. The few visiting fans either capitulate and assimilate by donning Orange and Brown or they are engulfed and consumed.

#gmstrong

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Eve is a woman.

Legend
Legend

listen to that progression! listen to how the music literally flows with the singers vocals. its methodical, its peaceful, its make you feel like you're floating through the milky way.

will we remain?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I love the music threads. We don't argue very often on these threads and that is cool. I tend to not listen to the songs one by one, but listen to several in a row when I am not posting.

I love hearing new things from other posters. It's all pretty cool.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: VarmintKong
Dude?! How did you even find this. It's certainly off the beaten path, those Mongolian bikers just made their own on the grassy expanse of the steppe. I actually found myself enjoying this though. I feel like this could be played at the stadium on Sundays with some minor modifications, but still keeping the throaty singer. Picture the stadium packed, as the team is about to be introduced the heirs of Chinggis Khan begin:

When Bengal come we rumble like thunder,
Raven come we strike like lightning,
Steeler come we crush and obliterate,
Cleveland Browns bring the wrath of heaven.

At this point, instead of Mongolian bikers chanting Hu Hu Hu, 70,000+ Woof Woof Woof as the team bursts onto the field. The few visiting fans either capitulate and assimilate by donning Orange and Brown or they are engulfed and consumed.

I totally feel that as a stadium song! Somebody make a deal with them! I could listen to that all day.

I randomly found an article about that band today and got hooked. Its absolutely going in my youtube favorites.

No Craps Given
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Something a little different.

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Hey Vamint.............I love your posts, enthusiasm, and contributions.

I am not sure if this girl is completely "off the beaten path," but I have a feeling you may not have heard of her and will enjoy her music.

I'll play two. I apologize f you already have listened to her.

Bro, she's sweet, smooth, sultry, sophisticated, and sexy. That's an alliteration. LOL

She was also hit by a SUV while riding her bike when she was 10. She suffered brain trauma and still has to often use a cane and wear shades due to the headaches light causes her.

If you like those two, check out some of her other stuff. She's incredibly awesome and one of my top three listens right now.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Not to hog the thread.............but, here is another interesting piece from Miss Gardot.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
This guy sings his guts out.
All heart. Tyler Childers...

Since Portland beat me to it w/ my man Tyler Childers, I will offer up two other bands I am digging right now.

The Budos Band (Instrumental funk w/ an Ethiopian style twist) . . .

Goat (Rockin' world music) . . .

And one more Tyler Childers tune . . .

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

Goat (Rockin' world music) . . .

I saw GOAT live in Portland several years ago. I am torn on them...in terms of performance...the gig was without a doubt a spectacle. The band were all wearing African style masks, pounding witchcraft and shamen sticks, female singers with feathery tribal headdresses and batik dresses in the front dancing in a ritualistic tribal way and the music had tribal rhythms, chants and manic percussion, but overlaid on top was an ultra cool 'Shaft' style psychedelic wah and tremolo drenched fuzz guitar. On the surface, I admit it was pretty damn cool.

Why am I torn then? The band are, or at least they were when I saw them, all white hailing from Sweden. Most/all in the audience were white and some in the audience were also wearing tribal inspired masks. It was, without a doubt, the most over the top and blatantly obvious/textbook example of cultural appropriation I have ever seen and it made me feel very odd witnessing it as an audience member.

Legend
Legend

Listened to the first cut and liked it a bunch.

Will definitely check her out.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I figured you would like Melody Gardot. She is one special singer/songwriter. I know you like jazz and her takes on it are rather special.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I like jazz, but it is a genre that has always intimidated me as it's hard to know where to start. That said, Eddie Harris is one of my favorites. Hell, he may actually be my favorite jazz artist.

His early/mid 60s stuff is fairly traditional and his LP 'Exodus to Jazz' is an absolute beauty and you can still find original copies for about $5-10. He is also probably best known for his 1969 Swiss Jazz Fest gig and LP with Les McCann ('Swiss Movement').

HOWEVER, in the 70s he recorded a handful of killer, jazz funk albums, which are bit more difficult to find. The cover art would make most record buyers flip past them rather than pick them up, but underneath the gawdy, kitsch artwork are some infectious grooves and this one, in particular, is probably my all time favorite jazz song, ever.

Brings tears to my eyes and floors me everytime I hear it. One of those songs that makes you stop what you are doing, sit down and....listen.

Glorious.

Legend
Legend
She is really good.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Nick Drake.

Jesse Marchant.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
Nick Drake.

I love all three of Drake's albums. There is nobody who can pick the guitar quite like him.
And, what sounds so simple is actually highly complex. I guess that is part of his charm & beauty. There is also a great biography by Patrick Humphries that is well worth reading. It definitely gives insight into this gentle, haunted, introspective and lonely English folkie who barely sold any records during his life, but has since become highly respected and a huge influence.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Musicians: Off the Beaten Path

Link Copied to Clipboard