Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#1580670 01/07/19 07:04 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I figured the old thread has a ton of posts and this is a pretty newsworthy way of starting off a new thread:

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
This is a shocker if you ask me.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
This is a shocker if you ask me.

Perhaps the young, offensive-mind trend drove the decision? He's been quickly rising up the ranks.

Tackles are tackles.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

B
Legend
Legend
B
The old guard is moving out. Young and fresh, more in tune to the O that colleges run.

It's a round hole, no sense pulling a square peg if you seek a smooth transition.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Shocking no one, the Browns interviewed Freddie Kitchens today.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...-for-head-coach

B
Legend
Legend
B
The frenzy will begin. Once names start to be removed, teams will start plucking the guy they want.

As great as it may sound, when you get a offer to be a head coach in the NFL or major college program, you don't turn it down because you are waiting for the Browns or some other school to call.

A old time saying, but " A bird in hand it worth two in the bush".

If any of us won a $20 mil lottery, how many would take cash and spend it all on the next lotto?

When your number is called, you answer the call.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Shocking no one, the Browns interviewed Freddie Kitchens today.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...-for-head-coach

Speaking of round holes wink

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Get them while they are hot. Too cute and you may lose. This is not the year to "settle." We need to know what we want. Afraid others might take our choice if we drag our feet.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
The old guard is moving out. Young and fresh, more in tune to the O that colleges run.

Good! I hope the NFL is beginning to steer away from the terrible re-tread hires.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
AP source: LaFleur accepts offer to become Packers coach

The Associated Press
TERESA M. WALKER (AP Sports Writer)
The Associated PressJan 7, 2019, 9:15 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers are turning to fast-rising offensive whiz Matt LaFleur to aid Aaron Rodgers and end a two-year absence from the postseason.

LaFleur accepted an offer Monday to become the next head coach of the Packers, according to a person familiar with the decision. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because neither the Packers nor the Titans had announced the decision.

The 39-year-old LaFleur spent this season as offensive coordinator for the Titans, his first calling plays in the NFL. He takes over for Mike McCarthy, who was fired during the season following a stunning home loss to Arizona on Dec. 2. Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin went 2-2 to close out the season as the Packers failed to reach the playoffs for the second straight year with a 6-9-1 record that was the second straight under .500 for the storied franchise.

He was offensive coordinator with the Los Angeles Rams in 2017, leading a group that paced the NFL in scoring and was 10th in total offense under coach Sean McVay, who called the plays on offense. LaFleur was the quarterbacks coach in Atlanta for two seasons, including when Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan was the NFL MVP in 2016. LaFleur also has coached with Washington and Houston, and was the quarterbacks coach for Notre Dame in 2014.

He will be charged with returning the Packers to the playoffs on a regular basis. McCarthy's tenure of 12-plus seasons was by and large successful, highlighted by the 2010 Super Bowl season and nine playoff appearances.

Still, the once potent offense that could make up for other deficiencies slowed in 2018, a tumultuous year that began with Rodgers leading a stirring comeback victory in the opener over the Bears. The two-time NFL MVP returned after halftime from a left knee injury that nagged him the rest of the season.

Rodgers' 62.3 percent completion rate was his lowest since 2015 (60.7) and his 25 touchdown passes were a low for a season in which he played at least 15 games, though so were his two interceptions. Injuries to Randall Cobb and Geronimo Allison forced the Packers to turn to rookies perhaps earlier than expected, though Davante Adams emerged as an elite receiver.

The relationship between LaFleur and Rodgers will be closely watched after the sometimes tenuous moments between the star QB and McCarthy. They characterized their relationship as close, but with ups and downs that come with two headstrong competitors who had worked together for more than a dozen years.

The Packers reportedly interviewed several candidates with head-coaching experience, including Philbin, Chuck Pagano, Adam Gase and Jim Caldwell. The instead opted for LaFleur, who had never called plays before this season and until now has never been in charge of an entire roster.

It is just one element of an offseason of change ahead in Green Bay.

Clay Matthews, one of the last remaining links to Green Bay's Super Bowl-winning season, is a free agent after finishing with a career-low 3+ sacks in his 10th season with the Packers but the first under the tweaked 3-4 scheme installed by first-year coordinator Mike Pettine.

Cobb is also a prominent free agent for Green Bay, and a steady, experienced target for Rodgers - if he returns.

The running game could be a strength next season behind Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones, who led the NFL in yards per carry before suffering a knee injury in mid-December. The coordinator's job could be in flux, too. Philbin is well-liked by Rodgers and the 16-year NFL coaching veteran and he won respect from players for his even-keeled and straightforward demeanor in the transition following McCarthy's firing.

Pettine's defense showed flashes in his first year on the job. First-round draft pick Jaire Alexander displayed the potential of playing like the top cornerback the Packers desperately need. Injuries struck the defensive line, which was one of the team's strengths coming into the season, and the Packers lacked a consistent rush at outside linebacker outside of surprise sacks leader Kyler Fackrell (10+).

Tennessee has changes coming, too. The Titans went 9-7 and missed the playoffs, ending the season ranked 27th in scoring and 25th in total offense while injuries took a toll. Quarterback Marcus Mariota will soon be working with his fourth offensive coordinator in five seasons.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ap-source-lafleur-accepts-offer-become-packers-coach-002707014--nfl.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm surprised by this. I thought McDaniels would end up in GB.

I never even heard of this LeFleur dude.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agree
Agree
Me neither

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Get them while they are hot. Too cute and you may lose. This is not the year to "settle." We need to know what we want. Afraid others might take our choice if we drag our feet.

I am not saying we "settle". I am just saying it pays to settle early.

It's not like we didn't know we would be looking to hire a coach.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
surprised with LaFleur

I'm guessing Kingsbury ends up in NYJ and Munchak in Denver

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
surprised with LaFleur

McCarthy to the Jets
Kingsbury to the Cardinals
Munchak to Denver
Arians to the Bucs

L
Legend
Legend
L
surprised with LaFleur

McCarthy to the Jets
Munchak to Denver
Arians to the Bucs

whos your money for Browns on

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
surprised with LaFleur

McCarthy to the Jets
Munchak to Denver
Arians to the Bucs

whos your money for Browns on

Kitchens. Eberflus a close second.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Will be surprised if Kitchens doesn't get the nod.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes Kitchens will be our next HC IMO and I will ok with that thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

I am not saying we "settle". I am just saying it pays to settle early.

It's not like we didn't know we would be looking to hire a coach.

Well, as it stands, the Browns haven't exactly let any grass grow under their feet.. They've interviewed a good/fair number of guys and they did it quickly.

I expect an answer quickly now.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There's no rush if you know your guy and your guy knows he's the guy!

Legend
Legend
Wow, this is kinda nuts. The Steelers moved on from Bell, and really didn't miss a beat.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is it wrong to enjoy this? Too bad.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Wow, this is kinda nuts. The Steelers moved on from Bell, and really didn't miss a beat.

Unless the reason Bell wouldn't come in was because of him.... But I have my doubts of that..

Odd... Really odd

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Jameis kidnapped that whole franchise. They fired Lovie Smith because they thought Dirk Koetter was going to leave. They hire Koetter because he works well with Jameis. Jameis regresses, and is an idiot off the field, and they fire Koetter. Now they bring in Arians, who just left the Cardinals because he didn’t want to do a rebuild and for health reasons, to fix Jameis. If Jameis isn’t good they’ll have to start and over and they’ll have a front office who is tied to Jameis and a coach who doesn’t want to do a rebuild stuck in a rebuild.

Legend
Legend
Jameis kidnapped that whole franchise. They fired Lovie Smith because they thought Dirk Koetter was going to leave. They hire Koetter because he works well with Jameis. Jameis regresses, and is an idiot off the field, and they fire Koetter. Now they bring in Arians, who just left the Cardinals because he didn’t want to do a rebuild and for health reasons, to fix Jameis. If Jameis isn’t good they’ll have to start and over and they’ll have a front office who is tied to Jameis and a coach who doesn’t want to do a rebuild stuck in a rebuild.

Yeah, doesn't sound like a good deal to me

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I think our top 3 choices:

Kithcens
Campbell
Ebeflus

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
At this point, I don't see how we select any other coordinator over Kitchens for the HC job.

The only exception to that is bringing on a DC as head coach, but give Kitchens a special title, but it allows him to focus on just the offense, and not everything else.

I still think our current situation is a good one. Williams as HC, and Kitchens as OC.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I like Kitchens but I have some concerns. If he is named head coach who will take the roll of offensive coordinator? Or will Kitchens continue that role as well calling plays? That's alot to take on managing the game as head coach and running the offense, especially for a guy who has never been more than a positions coach half a season ago. I think he has done a great job, just seems a bit much too fast.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Todd Bowles - C - Free Agent

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Jets coach Todd Bowles is the "top choice" to be Bruce Arians' defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay.

Related: Buccaneers, Redskins

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jan 8 - 1:00 PM

L
Legend
Legend
L
We're getting to the point now we need to make a decision so the HC could build his staff. Unless the HC is Kitchens or GW then that won't matter as much

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

I still think our current situation is a good one. Williams as HC, and Kitchens as OC.

As I have posted previously, that is my preferred choice...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

As I have posted previously, that is my preferred choice...

I'm wondering if that is the choice as well. It's possible that Dorsey is feeling out other teams. If Kitchens gets a HC interview with another team, then maybe he gives the job to Kitchens himself to preserve the status quo. If he doesn't, then there's no need to promote him too soon, and he keeps GW as the top guy for now.

He could also be looking for someone to blow him away in an interview. If not, Plan B is about as good as a Plan B as you can have. Marty went 4-4 as an interim Head Coach, and that turned out okay. Williams went 5-3.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Knight
I like Kitchens but I have some concerns. If he is named head coach who will take the roll of offensive coordinator? Or will Kitchens continue that role as well calling plays? That's alot to take on managing the game as head coach and running the offense, especially for a guy who has never been more than a positions coach half a season ago. I think he has done a great job, just seems a bit much too fast.

I suspect that Kitchens would call plays, and might promote Ryan Lindley to OC. The play designs and calls would be Kitchens's, but the install would be done with help from Lindley.

I would hope that he would keep Henry and Wylie as assistants.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Knight

I suspect that Kitchens would call plays, and might promote Ryan Lindley to OC. The play designs and calls would be Kitchens's, but the install would be done with help from Lindley.

I would hope that he would keep Henry and Wylie as assistants.

I bet Lindley becomes QB coach with Zampese being gone.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL Coaching news II

Link Copied to Clipboard