Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
My wife and I see a lot of live music. Even more so now that we are empty nesters (son went to college and daughter has moved out). We were at a club just last night and saw this great funky band from Seattle, 'Down North'. They were SO GOOD, the guitarist absolutely smoked! His guitar tone reminded me of Eddie Hazel from early Funkadelic (they even did a cover of a P-Funk tune), the lead singer danced throughout the set and channeled his inner James Brown screaming & dancing (at one point he was down on the floor w/the audience singing and dancing), the drummer was phenomenal...so fast and a ball of energy and the bassist laid down the thickest, fuzziest and funkiest bass. I was by his amp and could feel it throughout my bones. Great gig!

Oh, and they will be in Cleveland on Feb 7 @ the Beachland. GO SEE THEM!

And...if you want to watch their full show at KEXP:

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Wow! I really liked the Heartbreaker piece. I've never heard of them before. It was all good, but I really loved the bass. I'm kind of rudimentary when it comes to such things. LOL

I'm going to check out more of their stuff tonight when I sit down to chill.

I like coming on here and being turned on to new stuff. I don't like all the additions, but it's cool to listen to new things and to find some new music to incorporate into your playlists. And I really enjoy just talking w/folks w/out all the bickering and drama.

Legend
Legend
amen.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm surprised we haven't seen any Phish in these threads!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
I'm surprised we haven't seen any Phish in these threads!

Are Phish "off the beaten path"? They are pretty huge within the Grateful Dead/Jam Band fan base. But, they still play & sell out massive venues.

Legend
Legend
Just slightly off the path... but sitting right in the pocket.
If you are going to cover a classic, you'd better bring game.

I'll just leave this here without saying anything else.
Enjoy.

*edit* view in fullscreen

Last edited by Clemdawg; 01/13/19 10:42 PM.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Wow! That was fun. Big, Bad, and Bold! And that solo at around the 3:00 mark was sweet.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Not sure why, but this song popped into my mind after listening to your addition.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I love both the Living Colour and Rage ATM covers with brass! Thanks Clem & Vers.

I saw a band from New Orleans years ago at the Portland blues festival called 'Bonerama'. Yeah, hilarious name and fun pun as they were/are a trombone heavy band who play originals as well as unique brass takes on rock tunes. Their take on Sabbath's 'War Pigs' blew me away! Here's a vid of them doing it...not from the Portland gig I saw, but this was essentially what they sounded like. I thought you gents might dig this!

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That was cool. I was never a Metal Head, but I still loved Sabbath and War Pigs is a great song. That was pretty amazing what those guys did w/that song.

Hey PDX, since you like Rage Against the Machine, I figured I would ask you if you like this, as well?

All Pro
All Pro
[quote=Versatile Dog]
Hey Vamint...
I have a feeling you may not have heard of her (Melody Gardot)and will enjoy her music...

...She was also hit by a SUV while riding her bike when she was 10. She suffered brain trauma and still has to often use a cane and wear shades due to the headaches light causes her. quote]

I had never heard of her before. Thankyou for sharing. I really liked it, especially "Who will comfort me." I was practicing pool in the basement and it fit in perfectly for the tempo I was trying to establish. Perfect to just get lost in and not overthink the angles.

I also like that you included some backstory. When I hear I need a break; troubles been weighing me down, it help me realize there is weight behind the words.

Have you heard this one yet:

I post the lyrics because I know you dig that.

Some Lessons
Melody Gardot
Well I'm buckled up inside
It's a miracle that I'm alive
I do not think I can survive
On bread and wine alone
To think that I could have fallen
A centimeter to the left
Would not be here to see the sunset
Or have myself a time

Well why do the hands of time
So easily unwind

Some lessons we learn the hard way
Some lessons don't come easy
That's the price we have to pay
Some lessons we learn the hard way
They don't come right off and write easy
That's why they say some lessons learned we learn the hard way

Remember the sound of the pavement
World turned upside down
City streets unlined and empty
Not a soul around
Life goes away in a flash
Right before your eyes
If I…

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
All Pro
All Pro
Listening to Melody Gardot got me in the mood for some old school acoustic blues guitar. It's a crying shame that more of their legacies weren't recorded. This song has one jammin' groove. Folks who listened to Clapton Unplugged beyond Tears in Heaven and Layla will recognize this one:

#gmstrong

All Pro
All Pro
Looking at the rest of this thread from the last week and it seems that Gardot resonates with a lot of us. Thanks to Bone for the article.

Eve, I would like to apologize for my poor choice of wording in my response to you. Of course I am aware that you are a woman, I did not consider your gender when I began my response with "dude." I know from similar mistakes with my wife and sister that girls do not like to be called dude. I was reminded today of the power our words possess and I didn't mean for my words to hurt you. I will do my best not to make the same mistake again. Except regarding my sister, I like to give her a rough time.

#gmstrong

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Glad you enjoyed Miss Gardot, Kong. I haven't heard Some Lessons yet. Thanks for sharing. Good stuff!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Hey PDX, since you like Rage Against the Machine, I figured I would ask you if you like this, as well?

I too am not into metal. Although, my first record was Kiss Alive! and I had a brief period in my early teens where I liked a lot of those bands, but I was never an angry teen so a lot of that stuff didn't do much for me and it was a brief phase in my life. However, I do greatly respect Sabbath and I did love RATM's 1st album when it came out as it spoke with a brutal honesty and it's anger felt so authentic compared to the cheesy theatrics of a lot of metal (goofy Norse or Tolkien imagery, wizards, death etc.). The power of RATM just sliced through that other crap and kicked serious butt and put it all to shame. I still own it and occasionally play it when I want to clear the cobwebs.

Regarding Tool, again, a name I am familiar with but I don't believe I have ever knowingly listened to them. Saying that...I dig brass with a bit of edge and the above tune is pretty cool. I am fairly confident when I say that I would probably prefer it over the original.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I feel pretty much the same way. I liked what the sax player was doing in this version and the singer was a bit more edgy/angry.

I can only take this type of music in small doses if you know what I mean. LOL

Legend
Legend

I have kinda immersed myself into Melody.

Headset on watching live performances. There is not much that I don't find moving.

She is a rare talent. Her songs grab you. Her versions of songs that she covers add a new dimension to the song.

Because - the Beatles
Over the Rainbow.
La Vie en Rose

"Some Lessons" is an amazing piece.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Have you listened to Sweet Memory? Here is a link if you haven't.

Legend
Legend

I have heard the song. But in a different way.

I have noticed that she will sing the same song in many different versions. She did a song acapella with just finger cymbals and her high heel. Totally cool.

Legend
Legend

Clem. Curious about your take on Melody Gardot.

The live AVO Sessions give a real feel for being there live. Watch and listen with headphones.

Legend
Legend
I'm a fan.

In fact, Vers & I have discussed her in PM's.

From one of our PM's (apologies, Vers- but I figured you wouldn't mind):

Quote:
Thanks.
These are very nice. Very nice indeed.

Every year in Spring, we get a questionnaire: what pieces would you like to see performed? What guest artists would you like us to invite? That sort of thing. It's how I got to meet Al Jarreau years ago.

I've liked this gal since you first dropped her name.

I'll certainly add her name to the questionnaire.

#GMStong
Legend
Legend

Although I never played an instrument I have been around music and musicians most of my life.

I have always listened to music. It is a huge part of who I am.

I was exposed to jazz early in life. Best friends brother went to Boston Berklee School of Music. He played baritone sax with Buddy Rich. So I got to know a bunch of jazz musicians in my early teens. Got to hang out with older guys who we thought were way too cool.

It really left a impression on me. I never lost interest. Just migrated to all kinds of music.

I have listened to all the great female vocalists.

Melody is right there. She has rare talent.

Legend
Legend
Jazz is The S#izznitt

It can be as simple as 12-bar Blues, and as sophisticated as works by Ornette Coleman and Paul/Carla Bley.

Listening to Jazz no doubt opened your ears to most anything else out there, no matter how exotic or off-the-path. It is my art form of choice when seeking my own pastime.

Got a private student who just began his grad studies at Berklee/BostCon. He's intimidated a little bit. but totally geeked to be there. Just talked to him yesterday. I've known him since hewas 11 years old. Very satisfying to see them fly successfully from the nest.

thumbsup

#GMStong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Speaking of jazz and musicians off the beaten path, here Matthew Shipp is very interesting. He makes a comment about jazz is becoming very academic and that people need more wisdom and less knowledge, which in and of itself is brilliant. I think this guy somewhat embodies improvisational jazz. Most of his videos are longer, but this one is fairly short. Have a listen.

Shoot. I thought this one was only 7 min. It's longer. Sorry. Maybe just check out the first part?

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 01/14/19 08:44 PM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Man, check out these guys. I clicked on them because they were on the same YouTube page as the Shipp video and I decided to give them a try. This is very good.

Legend
Legend

When the mood hits I love to watch:

Jazz. The Ken Burns documentary. I love to listen to those who played behind Billie describe the time.

Love to hear Wynton Marsalis talk about Louis Armstrong.

The stories behind Bird. Some of the film of the greats in that documentary. I go crazy for that all that. There is a deep richness to the quality.

I can not count even to myself the number of times I have listened to Kind of Blue. I still have an original vinyl.

When the Beatles and Stones first arrived and all the great music that followed I moved away from jazz. And then came back many years later.

Now with the digital format and availability from Spotify and other sources I am all over the place. It is so cool to able to think of a song and there it is to listen too.

I have found myself going back to musicians that I not have listened to in ages. Guys like Jimmy Smith, Brother Jack McDuff, and Horace Silver.

Accessibility is a great thing.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
There’s a funk/acid jazz band called Galactic. Been around for awhile. Great live show.
They’re about to drop a new album and are priming the pump by ‘leaking’ a couple tracks. This is a collaborative effort with a different vocalist. Pretty different sounding from their past efforts but I dig it.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Another Galactic. I’m digging this one more.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
So it’s friday. I’m in the mood to share more music. Not like the browns are playing this weekend. So...

This is Odesza. Generally on the ‘girly’ side for my daily listening but they’ve got a few songs that have heart and some have a beat I can get behind. This one is more heart than beat.
I caught them at a festival this past summer. They put on a good live show. The girls in our group sang along to most of the songs. As were most of the other girls in the crowd. It was a fun night.

This is a good video of them live... background singers, string section, horns, etc.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Another Shel Silverstein fan, I see.

Take a moment, and look up his poem "The Devil and Billy Markham."

Published in 1979, it first appeared in Playboy magazine.

Classic Shel: funny, pithy, homespun... and with a great ending.

I'd link it here, but then I'd probably spend some time in 'banned camp.' Because: Shel, you know?
wink

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
I have never heard of this guy.

He was on the side of what I was listening too.

But his dude can play guitar.

Legend
Legend

Ry Cooder has been around a long time. Most of that time he was a studio slide guitar player. I have no idea of who knows him. But he played with everybody. Stones, Dylan, and on and on. He also has always just done his own thing.

Here our two songs one from early and one now.

Legend
Legend
Ry Cooder today still doing it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

T-Bone Burnett

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

nrtu

I got this mixtape at a Jurassic 5 show many years ago.....they only pressed like 6000 copies initially...

There were 2 sides, but I couldn't find both on youtube, so I just posted the full length video....nearly an hour of awesome sampling work.....

This was literally the prize of my music collection for years....If you're into DJ Shadow or Cut Chemist, definitely take the time to listen to this all the way through, its long, I know.....but just an incredible production....plz take the time to cheick it out....

-TD

ps.....you're welcome......to anyone who gets it, digs it,,and thinks damn.....how have I never heard of this before....

And if you don't think its your kind of thing.....just give it ten minutes of your time.....

Last edited by Tyler_Derden; 01/23/19 11:24 PM.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
There’s a funk/acid jazz band called Galactic. Been around for awhile. Great live show.
They’re about to drop a new album and are priming the pump by ‘leaking’ a couple tracks. This is a collaborative effort with a different vocalist. Pretty different sounding from their past efforts but I dig it.

When I was working at that venue back in the early 2000's, Galactic was a band that came through at least twice a year...….it was always a great show.....Another cool band that I'm pretty sure hails from the same city; JJ Grey and the Mofro's, my gf turned me onto them awhile back.....

Here's another group off the beaten path that I dig.....Lucero....

Legend
Legend
Of course everyone knows Jerry Garcia from the Dead. But Jerry also collaborated with others inclusing a great mandolin player named David Grisman.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Every Garcia Grisman album is amazing. My favorite being the self tiled one the song you posted is on. Great album. There’s some breath taking playing on that album. The song, Arabia, is 16 minutes of jaw dropping talent on display.

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
When it comes to the dead, I can only get into their live stuff....dicks picks....and my favorite dbl disc Europe 72

Legend
Legend
I heard a interview with Jerry about Arabia.

He said it was hard for him because it was a very structured disciplined composition.

But those around him said David Grisman was his soul brother. It is easy to understand that because of Jerry's roots.

One thing is clear though great musicians can find that groove with others and Jerry and David were made to play together.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Musicians: Off the Beaten Path

Link Copied to Clipboard