Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Came across this on YouTube and thought you would enjoy it. It's a nice recap of the season. It's long, but if it doesn't give you chills you should probably check your pulse.

A couple things really stand out like Chubb's shiftiness & vision, Baker's passion, escapability, and playmaking ability, and his ability to fit the ball into tight holes. Duke, Peppers, Ward, Garrett, Juice, Njoku, Fells, Parrinman & Callaway all pop as serious playmakers.

There were some really heart breaking moments too, especially early on.

So excited for next season.

Enjoy!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
One thing I noticed was that our playmakers made more plays with Baker, especially later in the year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
It leaves me with what could have been.

However, in the big picture it all seems like some kind of preordained destiny. Like we had to go this season in order to get to where we need to go.

It has been so long since I have the Browns make plays like the plays we made this past season.

At the same time I can see clearly what has to happen.

We have to get better defensively.

We have to be more consistent on defense. I am confident that the decision on Freddie will help us. That offensively we will be dynamic.

What I want now is for the defense to become dominate.

If we can move into a top ten defense the sky is the limit.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
it all seems like some kind of preordained destiny. Like we had to go this season in order to get to where we need to go.

This is a reoccurring theme in the NFL. We see it over and over. A team has to learn how to win. It has to become a brotherhood. And it has to learn to execute to near perfection in order to win consistently.

I've felt all year we were about 3-4 players shy of a dominant D. My wish list is a dominant, runs stuffing, pass rushing DL, a pair of aggressive, smart LBs (OLB & ILB). and a complimentary CB.

Amazing too how the season hinged on the kicker. Refs too, and hopefully we overcome that type of BS crap next year, but the kicker. Man, that's a crap shoot. I hope we get to the point where we don't have to depend on that position nearly as much.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
One thing I noticed was that our playmakers made more plays with Baker, especially later in the year

He's clearly the better QB. But man, TT had us in those games against pit & the Saints. We should've won them.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't lay all the blame on TT. But difference was night and day after we went through The Change or whatever. BM going forward please.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Long? It wasn't long enough!

I come away really impressed by Callaway. Not only does he make big catches, but you see him blocking his butt off on nearly every game clip.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
but the kicker.

The most frustrating thing about the 2018 season was that..

To this day the Gonzales groin injury scenario is one that will keep me ticked off... I want to put this so far under a rock that it never comes up again...

The Refs...I want them on the under side of the Rock holding onto it tightly so it never surfaces..

Then the emergence of Baker...the appointing of Freddie as OC... Freddie sure had the Offense in the THICK of things..

From that point on the "18" season became fun to watch...It actually brought pride back to being a Fan...

But the New " 19" (Bernie Kosar) Season is Rearing it's head and is getting ready to bring some new and exciting games for this Team and Fan Base...

"Come on Boys, Time to get Dangerous"

P
Legend
Legend
P
Remember 1989 was the last year the Browns won their division ... 30 years later thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Cal, Thanks a million for dropping this on us.. Damn that was fun.

Couple of things:

you know how some say, hey don't get excited, we beat teams that weren't very good.. That's true, but isn't that really step one in moving up to beat teams we shouldn't?

These guys were having fun after Hue and Todd were bounced,, Lots of fun.

Our young play makers were the real deal.. Couple that with finding a LT out of the rubbish, trading for a WR that was as good for the youngins off the field as he was on the field. Finding another WR that again, was in the rubbish and somehow, he's played very very well..

All In ALL this was fun to watch.. As much fun as the season was to watch....

Again, thanks Cal

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
If only we had fired Hue 2 seasons ago....

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Beating the teams you are supposed to beat is the first step.

The next real step will be owning our home games. Win 6 at home and split on the road is 10 wins. 10 wins can win the division many time, and surely gets you in to the playoffs..

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
If only we had fired Hue 2 seasons ago....

We’d not have Garrett or Baker... or likely Ward, Chubb... etc.
Hue was good for us in the grand scheme.

[Linked Image]
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
cal, what impressed me about Chubb was once he broke thru he did not often get caught from behind. seems like some evaluations said he lacked breakaway speed but he showed that was not true at all. just a great find at 35.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
cal, what impressed me about Chubb was once he broke thru he did not often get caught from behind. seems like some evaluations said he lacked breakaway speed but he showed that was not true at all. just a great find at 35.

Now Dorsey needs to take our Josh Gordon pick and go find another Tyreek Hill.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I agree. Beating the teams you are supposed to beat is the first step.

The next real step will be owning our home games. Win 6 at home and split on the road is 10 wins. 10 wins can win the division many time, and surely gets you in to the playoffs..

That's how I see it also,,, Hope it works out that way..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
We had a lot of people who did well this past season, but I would also add WR coach Adam Henry to that list. I was glad that we retained him.

Look at our WR corps. They started out as a mostly young group. They struggled at first. Balls were dropped. However, in the 2nd half, I really struggle to remember a single drop. I'm sure there were some, but there weren't many.

We redeemed Perriman from the scrap heap, and made him a productive weapon. Higgins developed into a weapon. So did Callaway. Ratley and Willies each had moments. So we had one seasoned veteran who had issues in Miami, a recycled bust, a guy who had hung around here after having been cut last year, and a trio of rookies. Somehow they became a real receiving corps. That was in large part due to Henry. and I think that he also deserves recognition, as he often gets lost behind the players, and Freddie.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
You're right, YTown, our WR corps went from being a liability to a real strength. Probably the best "no-name" WR corps in the league.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Thanks for posting. Very enjoyable.

As painful as it might be - I'd love to see a 5-7 minute recap of every single season, even the 0-16 season under Hue. Knowing we are on the right path and have the QB of the future makes that a lot easier to say!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just a couple of thoughts...

We had 4 OT games in the first 7 weeks of the season. Seems unprecedented. All 4 ended with less than 2 minutes on the clock. One ended in a tie, and the win vs Baltimore with just 2 seconds remaining! One was lost by 59 yd FG. What a crazy beginning to the season. We win those and we are in the playoffs.

I should add that the Saints game could have gone to OT if we make the kick at the end of regulation.

Also...
One of my favorite plays was Callaway directing Chubb on his long run vs Atlanta.

Last edited by devicedawg; 01/21/19 01:27 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Also...
One of my favorite plays was Callaway directing Chubb on his long run vs Atlanta.

me too.

never gets old, you know? wink

thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And I still like it better in Spanish; not that I understood it, it's just that "Hasta la vista baby!" is so much better than "Chubba, lubba, hubb."

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

I can honestly say I was never down on the Chubb pick. I saw the comments about his speed.

He came back strong his final year with the Bulldogs and showed he was almost always able to be as fast as he needed to be to stay a step ahead.

If Nick could run a timed 40, with somebody chasing him, he might run a 10th or two faster.

More on point, I think he runs faster in pads then do other players.

If I was in charge of the combine, I'd make players run in full pads. Why not? That is what they will be running in on Sundays. Pads impact some players more than others. I don't care how fast they run in their underwear.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
And I still like it better in Spanish; not that I understood it, it's just that "Hasta la vista baby!" is so much better than "Chubba, lubba, hubb."

I agree.
I posted the Spanish language version all over my fb feed. I only posted the Donovan clip because he's such a fan fave here.

That call was an instant classic.
Thanks for adding it here.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If I was in charge of the combine, I'd make players run in full pads. Why not? That is what they will be running in on Sundays. Pads impact some players more than others. I don't care how fast they run in their underwear.

Man, I really loved seeing this in print.
It makes too much sense to ever become policy, however.

Good call.

thumbsup

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

Man, I really loved seeing this in print.
It makes too much sense to ever become policy, however.

Good call.

thumbsup

I also agree with this point.

However there is already a way to see a player run a 40 with someone chasing them in full pads... game tape.

Only sucker GMs get swayed to draft combine freaks that don't have the game tape to back it up.

Legend
Legend
I agree with that, too.

Nonetheless, I think it would be a great development/new wrinkle to evaluate players in no pads/with pads at the combines.

Personally, I'd love to see some of these Big Boys' numbers on just one a/b measurable alone: vertical leap. That would be a great metric to add into the eval mix. I'd love a big, long-armed DT who could get off his feet and get his hand up in the throwing lane if he can't get to the opposing QB with his initial rush.

College game tape is no doubt a great resource. I still think it would be beneficial to see these prospects perform in real time.

I think pads should become a substantial and permanent feature of the combine eval process.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I agree.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Someone should send Donovan a link to beginners Spanish.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I do also,, That was so much fun to hear...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E

If I was in charge of the combine, I'd make players run in full pads.

Good point his game time speed is amazing.

Combine...I've been saying that for years that all the stuff, vertical leap, broad jump, 40, shuttle, etc. all should be done in pads and helmet! Not this in shorts stuff.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Someone should send Donovan a link to beginners Spanish.

Funny his last great call on a RB's TD run was against Atlanta in 2002 "RUN WILLIAM RUN"

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I've been saying the same thing for a very long time Peen.

The first season after recovering from his injury he certainly didn't look the same. But for those who watched, in his second year back he became stronger and faster as time went on. He looked like he was close to being back to his former self. This year he seemed to be all the way back.

The injury he suffered was severe. And your comment about running in shorts. It's all too true and it amazes me how fixated some fans are about it. Unless you're drafting a WR to run nothing but post routes, straight line speed, especially in shorts, means next to nothing in the NFL.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Looking Back - The 2018 Season

Link Copied to Clipboard