Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Good point, but right now, the only people regularly parking at charging stations are people who don’t have EVs looking for a closer parking spot by the stores, or the assholes in their pickup trucks parking in EV spots for no other reason than to troll.

Tesla are in the process of doubling up their supercharing network, which alresdy has a decent amount right now. And if you’re on the east coast, they’re one of the best road trip cars because ports are everywhere, and if you have a model S, X, or performance 3, charging is free.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE

I don't see myself switching until we're a little closer to "critical mass" with price, reliability and infrastructure.

^This. Right here.^

Thanks.
You just saved me a whole buncha keyboard-bangin'.

thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think one day, filling stations will just be a battery swap.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
What will make you switch? What features do you need to see transfer from ICE cars (internal combustion engine) to full EVs!

I'm on-board with FATE.... cost, reliability, infrastructure.

If I had the money to have one for daily use without giving up my other car, I'd have one now.

What is maintenance on one? How often, how much does it cost? What is the biggest risk that could kill the motor?

And I'm all for some planning on my trips, but if I'm going out of town, I don't want to have to map out where I need to stop to recharge

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
To be fair, the ones Swish posted are high end.

Most people who want an EV probably dont need a 600 HP Porsche.
Those are for enthusiasts.

There are lots of way less expensive brands. That I know nothing about.

No Craps Given
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: FATE

I know this probably seems a bit glum, but one of the biggest things helping to keep motorcycling safe (in my eyes) was the noise. I imagine accident rates will go up when you can't hear them coming or going.
loud pipes save lives. Its a proven fact, the louder the bike, the more noticeable you are on the road, the better chance a driver will hear you coming when they cant SEE you coming.

Its the first thing you learn in a motorcycle safety course.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
To be fair, the ones Swish posted are high end.

Most people who want an EV probably dont need a 600 HP Porsche.
Those are for enthusiasts.

There are lots of way less expensive brands. That I know nothing about.
There are, but they are all small, and go 0-60 in about 12.8 seconds. lol

I drove my cousins prius once I thought I felt it was unsafe trying to get on a highway.

I heard the volt, etc has more power, but never drove one.

For me personally, its going to take for me to get what I can HP and Torque wise for the same money I am now, along with getting 300-400 miles a charge, with a recharge of about 5 minutes.

I drive a lot, about 15K miles a year on the LOW end close to 20K on the higher end. Sometimes we take long road trips, im not going to have to drive a couple hundred miles, then have to wait an hour to recharge my car, to drive another 300 miles. JMO.

F
Legend
Legend
F
There are drawbacks to EVs for those that travel, but 90%+ of people aren't taking long road trips or driving more than 200-300 miles in an average day.

Gas and hybrid options will still exist until the issue of long travel is solved.

I imagine if EV is the future, then at some point the freeways will be fitted with wireless charging, that charge WHILE you drive, to give additional mileage.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Electric cars are stealing from other drivers.

The fuel taxes paid on gasoline by regular drivers fund roads & repairs. Electric car owners don't contribute to this in any way.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://buildyour.jaguar.com/jag2/r/mode...5784-6462596524

here's the build for the jaguar i-pace. some cool configurations, definitely can get up there in price with options.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

The fuel taxes paid on gasoline by regular drivers fund roads & repairs. Electric car owners don't contribute to this in any way.

That's why most jurisdictions are considering a tax by the mile driven as opposed to by the gallon of gas used. Revenues are already down because fuel efficiency has improved so much.

Everybody complains about switching to a miles-driven model for taxing... everybody also complains that roads are in crappy shape... something has to give.

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
Jaguar <3 (I'm biased)

They have amazing interior options.

Mine has a normal dash computer, and a computer in the steering wheel for the ..uh.. whatever its called where the speedometer is... bunches of displays with different stats and diagnostics , heads up display, etc. I dont even know half the stuff my car can do.

No Craps Given
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i guess short of teleportation and flight, its pretty much capable of all kind of crap.

so Land Rover has been doing this for a while now, but Jag finally did the same with the SUV's and offers the sports activity band.

its such a cool feature. put the band on like a watch, and you can go on runs and everything while leaving your keys in the car, and just unlock it by the door handle like you was paying with apple pay.

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yes I have an app on my phone that gps locates my jag, tells me all the current stats about, what is locked/open/whatever and I can make it remotely lock/alarm/beep etc.

Its really cool.

One time I had to leave the Jag at the dealership overnight to put a new tire on, and they gave me a LandRover as a loaner.

Very cool suv. I dont like their exterior much, but they handle exceptionally well for a Suv and have a very strong engine. The interior is similar to Jag, but they are made by the same company so....

No Craps Given
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Elon Musk: New Tesla Roadster will use thrusters to float above the ground

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-m...&yptr=yahoo

when i die, make sure to bury me next to the tree i wrapped around.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Elon Musk: New Tesla Roadster will use thrusters to float above the ground

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-m...&yptr=yahoo

when i die, make sure to bury me next to the tree i wrapped around.

Well, at least we know he inhales lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Wow

<><

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
This is not real life.

This is Star Wars.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yep pretty much.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
And then there’s this.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes....terrifying/amp/

...weird, but who knows what the future holds.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

True. I would imaging there will be a tax imposed as more hit the road. They wear down roads just like any other vehicle.

How that tax would be imposed would be the question.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Some people seem to have a need to fight change, technology and innovation. Sure EV’s need constant improvements to battery storage and charging.

Loved how willit said loud pipes saves lives, which IMO is very true. But what’s really going to save lives is driverless EV’s

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

True. I would imaging there will be a tax imposed as more hit the road. They wear down roads just like any other vehicle.

EV’s in general are half the weight of most fossil fuel vehicles and taxes will most likely be imposed like any other fueling station by local state and federal sales taxes at the charging stations like the gas stations do today.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Some people seem to have a need to fight change, technology and innovation. Sure EV’s need constant improvements to battery storage and charging.

Loved how willit said loud pipes saves lives, which IMO is very true. But what’s really going to save lives is driverless EV’s

HINT: They are called conservatives.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

EV’s in general are half the weight of most fossil fuel vehicles and taxes will most likely be imposed like any other fueling station by local state and federal sales taxes at the charging stations like the gas stations do today.

Not true, a Prius weighs around 3k, so does a standard honda accord. A Model S Tesla is around 4.5-4.9k, my Audi A8L is around 4.2k. The batteries are very heavy.

Last edited by columbusdawg; 01/11/19 12:03 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg

Not true, a Prius weighs around 3k, so does a standard honda accord. A Model S Tesla is around 4.5-4.9k, my Audi A8L is around 4.2k. The batteries are very heavy.

Battery packs in EVs are up to three times the weight of many ICEs! It's crazy. Batteries are one of those things people take for granted in this day and age, mostly because they never talk back and just do their job, but we're one huge breakthrough away from them changing the world... especially in the automotive world.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
so, just to let everyone know the style of chassis that the EVs are using.

its basically called a skateboard platform. what this means is that the batteries sit inbetween the front and rear axle. this is why even the EV suv's have such a low center of gravity. but its also why they are really heavy.

my M6 weights about 4400 LBS. The Tesla model S weights about the same, and thats due to the batteries. even the nissan leaf and chevy bolt's have a decent amount of weight.

its also why its difficult to make a proper sports car out of EV's, due to the platform and weight. sport and weight when it comes to cars isn't ideal, which is why high end car makers focus so much on weight reduction.

now, the upside to batteries is that they don't have to be made the same way, and you can find different places to place them around the shell of the car. the issue though is again, finding the right curb weight and design to not sacrifice performance for batter placement.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
and taxes will most likely be imposed like any other fueling station by local state and federal sales taxes at the charging stations like the gas stations do today.

How will they tax you for charging it at home?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
and taxes will most likely be imposed like any other fueling station by local state and federal sales taxes at the charging stations like the gas stations do today.

The only sensible thing is for you to pay a road tax on all electricity consumed in the home if you have an EV registered at that address.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

The only sensible thing is for you to pay a road tax on all electricity consumed in the home if you have an EV registered at that address.

Or just more toll roads, so everybody that uses the road pays for upkeep.

Then you only pay for what you actually use.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Milage based, car registration fees.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Quote:

Milage based, car registration fees.

Knowing what I know of politicians, they will impose some kind of a mileage tax as EVs become more popular.. but not give back the gas tax. Most states run in the $.25-.40 per gallon range.. they will find some other reason that they "need" to keep that in place.. you watch.

yebat' Putin
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

pretty long review, but man this ride is sweeeeeeeeeet! the gadgets in this EV is nuts! German car reviewer showing off the Audi E Tron SUV in dubai

- Theodore Roosevelt
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Before you buy one, do some research on cell IR and thermal runaway, invest in a halon fire suppression system for your garage, check your smoke detectors and emergency evacuation procedures for your home, upgrade your fire insurance, and seriously examine a detached parking location far from your home.

Then consider battery replacement cost, because they will not last the life of the vehicle.

Find out why Lithium Titanate is one of the safest and longest-lasting choices, and also why almost no one is using it. See if you can figure out the single reason for both of these things.

However, if you think the thruster thing is a practical idea that will really become a consumer product, then never mind.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The cars running on gasoline would still need to pay a gas tax. Why would, or should the gas tax go away?

If you stopped using gasoline in a car, for most people you might only use 8 gallons a year to fire up the lawn mower and blower.. sure, you still have boats, chain saws, etc. but you get the point.

The interest will be to keep the revenue stream the same.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
The cars running on gasoline would still need to pay a gas tax. Why would, or should the gas tax go away?

Because it seems unnecessarily difficult to tax ICE drivers and EV drivers differently for the same thing when the purpose of the tax is to pay for roads. You either tax the fuel source or you tax the mileage.

Quote:
If you stopped using gasoline in a car, for most people you might only use 8 gallons a year to fire up the lawn mower and blower.. sure, you still have boats, chain saws, etc. but you get the point.

None of which really impacts the roads, so if the tax is for roads and road maintenance, why tax the gas?

Quote:

Maybe I don't think like a politician but the interest will be to increase the revenue stream... and I would think they would want to do it in the simplest way possible.

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F

I think he meant that if they choose to tax mileage, then they need to stop taxing the gas, because then those using gas would be being double taxed.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

I think he meant that if they choose to tax mileage, then they need to stop taxing the gas, because then those using gas would be being double taxed.

Yes, that is what I meant. And I assume they would have to account for the vehicle? Right now larger heavier vehicles (that create more wear on the roads) pay more in taxes because they use more gas... going to a mileage based tax, I assume there would be a different rate for somebody who had 15K miles on a 7500 lb truck vs the person who had the same mileage on a 4000 lb car?

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F

Yes, that is what I meant. And I assume they would have to account for the vehicle? Right now larger heavier vehicles (that create more wear on the roads) pay more in taxes because they use more gas... going to a mileage based tax, I assume there would be a different rate for somebody who had 15K miles on a 7500 lb truck vs the person who had the same mileage on a 4000 lb car?

Well, around here if they taxed on how far your trailer hitch sticks out the back of your truck, or how much you stick out of the parking space (This goes for cars that don't pull all the way up as well), we could "free" national healthcare. smile

B
Legend
Legend
B

I didn't read it that way, but if so , I agree.

Anyway you cut it, the tax income is going to have to be the same because w

We give away a lot of freebie.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Electric Vehicles are the Future

Link Copied to Clipboard