Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Exactly.... if baker goes down we're screwed... no back up is taking us to the playoffs.... I still think we stick with some staton and get a mid round draft qb... would be a little surprised if we bring in another vet but maybe we will...

<><

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Only in hindsight, and even then I don't think it was a bad decision.

At the time we needed a vet QB, and while TT struggled a lot in the first three games, he's not a terrible QB.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
A bridge QB is not worth a third rounder, especially in the same year the 3rd rounder could have been used.

Sorry. The price it took to acquire Tyrod Taylor was a fail.

It is what it is, or was what it was.

It's easy to look back and call something a bad decision once it looks that way. At the time it was a move we had to make.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
If he ends up being a long-term starter, then it would be a great trade deal. If it's just a one-year bridge, it's very expensive IMO. I'm guessing Dorsey doesn't look at Taylor as the answer to the QB position long-term.

My take on Taylor once the trade was made. This seems like a mild response compared to others I've made.

3/12/18 is the date of the post.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Kaepernick is available.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
He is a list of the QB's set to be free agents....some are RFA.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Just noticed how many of them are former Browns LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
J/C...

I cannot remember FA to ever be the stockpile to acquire a legitimate QB.

That being said. Since it might be a year or two before a Backup is actually needed as I see Iron man stuff coming from Baker.

Also one who has no problems taking a chance on somebody, I can see Dorsey putting down some money (NOT MUCH) For Teddy Bridgewater. It might be a couple of years untouched (sitting) before he heals up but if we are patient then we could have a guy who could step in 2-3 games if necessary and WIN GAMES for us.

No controversy stuff but healed up a quality backup with youth still there.

So If we took a shot at a FA backup, I would hope that it would be Bridgewater.

Rypien and McSorely (Penn State) are 2 in the draft that would not cost much in investment.

??? I forgot who said that it would be wise to draft a late rounder QB every season as a rule of course missing a year here and there.

Especially as our Roster gets better and better, the odds of these later rounders making our Roster is getting less and less. So why not, if not for the kicking game, might as well take one on a QB that you like.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
It does appear that Baker is a tough guy, but tough guys get hurt like any one else....

So for me, it's still pretty darn important to have a back up that can take over and be decent.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Never suggested to not have a viable backup. Just stating a fact. Regarding Baker, as noted seen him take on some hits and he was ok, of course now a days with Concussion rules it might not be avoided.

the kid has that Iron man stuff written all over him (MY Opinoin of course)

Back up important, of course! just stating that for me odds are we won't have to be using one often.

As far as urgent to be decent...man you just saw us for 20 years try to get a DECENT Starter. I'm not holding out too much for Decent backup to start.

But as I stated my choice would be Bridgewater for just that...patiently get him healthy to be that DECENT Starter and if Baker is truly Iron man and the Investment has paid off we could get a pretty penny for Bridgewater as we groom another.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Foles - Jags
Flacco - Redskins
Bridgewater - Dolphins

Fitz and TT are the only QBs on that list that would be worthy of signing as a backup in my opinion.

Gardner Minshew in the 5th round. Perfect backup for Baker.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I wouldn't mind seeing Fitz here. He has already showing he can light it up in Monken's offense

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Stanton staying on board as the mentor "emergency" QB is fine. Late round draft QB or super cheap veteran FA in the mix as well. Least of our worries. If Baker goes down, so does the whole plan.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Tymaster
Stanton staying on board as the mentor "emergency" QB is fine. Late round draft QB or super cheap veteran FA in the mix as well. Least of our worries. If Baker goes down, so does the whole plan.

What if he goes down for one game near the end of the season that you need to win? I say you need a guy that has at least a 50-50 chance of winning the game. Obviously, if Mayfield tears an ACL and is out for the year, you're probably toast.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
One game end of a winning season and I'm fine with Stanton.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
He is a list of the QB's set to be free agents....some are RFA.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

That's an inspiring list ..... crazy

Makes Stanton look almost decent.

No it doesn’t. I don’t think people realize how bad Stanton is.

I don't think you realize that if a QB like baker goes down, you are pretty much screwed no matter who you have at back-up money.

Who on that list I provided gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling?

Sure, if we can keep TT, do that. I doubt we can.

I am not saying we don't do better than Drew. I just don't think this is the year we can do that. That may change if some QB's get released.

It's easy to keep saying Stanton is a bad QB. It's another to get someone better.

Who?

We are not screwed if Baker goes down, for only a couple games, if we have a competent backup. Stanton is not competent. Drew Stanton has a 51% completion rate for his career. That is Tebow level horrible.

I would basically take any available backup calibur QB over Stanton (even the dreaded Brock Osweiler). The only one who I would probably say is worse for sure is Mark Sanchez. Give me Matt Schaub, Matt Cassel, Josh McCown, Geno Smith, Brandon Weeden, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Trevor Siemian, Sam Bradford, or basically anyone else.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Ok, cool.

We can leave it at that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Stats...pretty much assumptions on quality are trying to be made from stats on a very small DATA BASE.

I wish I could evaluate him correctly but I haven't seen him play enough. I do know that the ENVIRONMENT with Zona was terrible and that most of his reps came from them.

Lions??? backing up Stafford?

You tell me he was THE GUY named from day one and how would he fair. Would he be better than Kizer?

Would he be better than Hoyer?

All I do know is that he has been a stable variable in our QB room this season and helped Baker a lot in his transition.

I do not know how he would perform if called upon from this team with this talent on a short term (couple of games basis) Again terrible QB? I don't know to say for sure.

I've stated already that I wish to make an investment 4th round or beyond from the draft. For me Teddy Bridgewater would be my FA guy if I had to have one.

But to put a stamp of terrible on him, I could not do so which doesn't mean he is not terrible. Just I would not know and find it hard for anyone to be sure.

What I do know it would not be remotely equal to Baker.

For me we could survive a short hiatus but a lot would be determined by how dominate our Defense would be and how good our running game would be.

Could Stanton be "serviceable"??? Well his QB football intelligence seems to be up there to carry that out.

Point blank...I really don't wish to find out.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Tyrod Taylor Headed to Free Agency

Link Copied to Clipboard