~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/01/sunday-review/blood-plasma-industry.html

Quote:
Desperate people can make $30 donating plasma, up to 104 times a year, in this $20 billion industry.

CSL Plasma, a blood plasma collection center, in the Olney neighborhood of Philadelphia.
Credit
Michelle Gustafson for The New York Times

CSL Plasma, a blood plasma collection center, in the Olney neighborhood of Philadelphia.CreditCreditMichelle Gustafson for The New York Times
Zoe Greenberg
By Zoe Greenberg
Ms. Greenberg is on the editorial staff of the Opinion section.

Feb. 1, 2019

PHILADELPHIA — Jacqueline Watson needed money. Her son had called her that morning from prison, where he is serving a life sentence, to ask her to make a deposit in his phone account. She didn’t have cash, but she did have something she could sell quickly and legally — her blood.

So, on a crisp Monday morning in November, she traveled 40 minutes by bus to CSL Plasma, a blood plasma collection center wedged between a Dollar Tree and a Wells Fargo bank in a strip mall in North Philadelphia.

“What always brings me here is money,” Ms. Watson, 46, said, as she waited in line to get her vitals taken. “I’m doing it for him, I guess you could say.” She earns about $30 each time she donates.

The plasma business is booming in the United States, with the number of collection centers like this one more than doubling since 2005, and global sales roughly quadrupling since 2000 to be more than $21 billion in 2017. Many developed countries have banned paying people for their blood, but not the United States. Blood products made up 1.9 percent of all American exports in 2016, more than soybeans, more than computers.

Plasma — the golden liquid that transports red and white blood cells and proteins through our bodies — is something of an elixir. It’s used to create lifesaving medicines for people with hemophilia, immune disorders, burns and other painful conditions, and it cannot be replicated in a lab.

The market for those medicines is “projected to grow radiantly by 2023,” according to a report from Market Research Future. But there is an underside to all that growth: The industry depends on the blood of the very poor.

Ethicists, sociologists, business executives and “plassers” themselves, as the donors are sometimes called, are increasingly asking: Is the business exploitative, taking advantage of desperate people? Or is it beneficial, offering much-needed income to those who have few avenues to make money? Should we encourage people to sell their lifeblood so frequently, or make it harder to do so?

The Plasma Protein Therapeutics Association, a trade group, disputes the idea that the industry depends on desperate people.

“When I go to centers, what I see in those centers is people of all walks of life. You see mothers, you see students, you see employed people, you see unemployed people,” said Jan Bult, the group’s president and chief executive.

Editors’ Picks

‘A Pumping Conspiracy’: Why Workers Smuggled Breast Pumps Into Prison

Can a Church Founded in 1677 Survive the 21st Century?

How Does Your State Make Electricity?
But plasma companies locate their collection centers disproportionately in destitute neighborhoods, according to Heather Olsen, who, as a graduate student researcher at Case Western Reserve University, examined 40 years of data on collection centers across the country. “They’re surgically placing these,” she said.

Healthy people can donate plasma twice a week, up to 104 times a year. The plasma industry says that most people do not donate so frequently and that there are minimal health risks involved, but other researchers disagree. One 2010 study found that paid donors who sell their plasma frequently have fewer proteins in their blood, which some experts say could put them at risk for infections and liver and kidney disorders. In the short term, plassers have reported fatigue, tingling sensations, anemia and blacking out.

Nonetheless, many are grateful for the opportunity. The money that comes from it can be the only form of cash income for families living in extreme poverty, as Luke Shaefer and Kathryn Edin note in their book “$2 a Day.”

A number of people at the CSL collection center in North Philadelphia last November confirmed that the money they received there was their only income; they were putting it toward food, rent and bus fare. Some, like Kevin Hayway, were veteran plasma sellers; he estimated that he had sold his plasma more than 100 times a year for the past three years. Robert Jenkins said he had learned about the center when he was living at a homeless shelter; residents there recommended it as a good place to make fast cash. He planned to spend the money on food, starting at a McDonald’s across the parking lot. First-time donors like Mr. Jenkins are paid the most, around $50; after five donations, payment is based on body weight, plus bonuses.

Mr. Shaefer, the poverty scholar, said the solution was not to ban the practice, but instead for policymakers to have a real debate about the risks. He suggested they might consider enforcing a minimum wage for plasma sellers.

“Ideally,” he said, “I’d like to have a good discussion about what a fair price is.”

His idea has some precedent: Selling whole blood used to be reputable, with professional blood sellers living in collective boardinghouses and even forming a union in the 1930s, according to Rose George’s book “Nine Pints.” During World War II, a biochemist figured out how to separate plasma, which can be dried, from whole blood, which was perishable and difficult to ship to the front. Soon after, the plasma industry was born.

Selling blood in an Atlanta laboratory in 1974.
Credit
Joe Holloway Jr./Associated Press

Selling blood in an Atlanta laboratory in 1974.CreditJoe Holloway Jr./Associated Press
In the decades after the war, a growing body of research suggested that the blood supply would be healthier and safer if people voluntarily donated. In the 1970s, the Food and Drug Administration began requiring that whole blood be labeled either a voluntary or paid donation. Blood that had been paid for came to be seen as both morally and physically tainted, according to Ms. George; today, the Red Cross will not use it. The F.D.A. requirement never applied to plasma, perhaps because it is broken down and processed before entering another person’s body.

The medicines manufactured from plasma do save lives. Seth Kaufman, a 44-year-old marketing executive and volunteer for the Immune Deficiency Foundation, had been sick most of his life, in and out of the hospital with relentless ear and sinus infections.

Finally, when Mr. Kaufman was 36, his condition was diagnosed as an immunoglobulin deficiency, meaning his blood lacked crucial antibodies, and he was prescribed a medicine derived from human plasma. Now he can work and travel and play with his children without fear of contracting a debilitating lung infection.

“When I tell you that this changed my life, it’s a massive understatement,” Mr. Kaufman said.

I wanted to see exactly what type of screening donors went through to provide the plasma for people like Mr. Kaufman, so I donated plasma at a CSL Plasma clinic in Linden, N.J., in a strip mall next to a shuttered Pay Half store.

I watched a 23-minute safety video; my finger was pricked and my temperature was taken; I answered 63 questions, from whether I had lived with someone with hepatitis in the past 12 months to whether I had ever received money for sex; and my arms and ankles were examined for needle sticks.

This screening is robust but not fail-proof: In a survey of plasma donors at a CSL Plasma clinic in Ohio, Ms. Olsen found that 13 percent reported they had misled clinic workers about their health in order to donate.

For three hours of my time and 689 mL of my plasma, I made $50, which was given to me on a prepaid debit card that charges a small fee when used.

It made me wonder: Why, if money was changing hands, do plasma collection centers still use the language of donation?

Harriet Washington, a bioethics lecturer at Columbia and the author of the book “Medical Apartheid,” said the semantics can mask the more troubling realities of the industry.

“It’s really important to understand that the profit motive has sometimes been shown to outweigh concern for people’s health,” Ms. Washington said. “The problem with using words like ‘donors’ is that it creates the assumption of beneficence.”

Mr. Hayway, who donates twice weekly, said he originally came for the money, but he liked that his plasma was helping people, too. He’s just not sure he’s getting a fair shake.

A donation of plasma, for which he will be paid about $30, will yield roughly $300 worth of wholesale immunoglobulin, according to Roger Kobayashi, a clinical professor at the UCLA School of Medicine.

“I know they get a lot of money,” Mr. Hayway said of the companies that run the plasma centers. “I would say they should pay more, but that’s just my opinion.”

Zoe Greenberg is on the editorial staff of the Opinion section.

The Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the editor. We’d like to hear what you think about this or any of our articles. Here are some tips. And here’s our email: letters@nytimes.com.

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook, Twitter (@NYTopinion) and Instagram.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I donated plasma quite a few times back in my Grateful Dead chasing days. They paid $30 back then too. Only $30 back in the early 1990’s could fill a gas tank two plus times. $30 now... not so much. But like everything else in Murika, profits go up for those on top. The rest of us get the scraps.
I’m glad my days of needing such extra revenue streams is past me.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
i remember a ton of us soldiers doing that during lunch break or after work when i first joined. i always thought it was for extra beer money or car parts, until i slowly realized a ton of them were doing it to help pay bills.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
I donated several times in the 80s while in the Navy. I think it was $30 then... maybe 25. I know you got extra money for bringing in a friend who had never donated before.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And I've been giving it away for free a few times a year since I donated bone marrow.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Happy Birthday!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
thanks.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
So you posted this without commentary... Are you advocating for a solution? As I see it, there are only 2 possible solutions..

1. Make it mandatory for wealthier people to donate plasma as well.
2. Force companies to pay more to the donors because the mark-up is so high..

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Pharmaceutical company raises price of low cost drug to $375,000

https://kfor.com/2019/02/04/pharmaceutical-company-raises-price-of-low-cost-drug-to-375000/

We lack the fortitude and morals to hold those in power to any level of accountability. I mean it's not like they're comedians or something.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I made about $50 a pop in grad school but was giving it to a research project at Harvard....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Pharmaceutical company raises price of low cost drug to $375,000

https://kfor.com/2019/02/04/pharmaceutical-company-raises-price-of-low-cost-drug-to-375000/

We lack the fortitude and morals to hold those in power to any level of accountability. I mean it's not like they're comedians or something.

Fear and greed rule the day where the Buffalo roamed.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I give mine for free at the red cross. Now I am re-evaluating why the hell I'm not getting paid for this. frown

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
So you posted this without commentary... Are you advocating for a solution? As I see it, there are only 2 possible solutions..

As much as I'd like to imagine I have all the answers in life, I've been made painfully aware by many ex-girlfriends that I don't know crap. I posted this for awareness and because I thought it was interesting. There's also thirty or so different topics brought up in the piece, so as far as finding a solution, we'd need to know the problems in its entirety. I thought the most interesting thing was that blood plasma composed 2% of all of the US's exports. Then there is the whole language issue, between donation vs payment, whole blood vs plasma. We have a few people who said they've given blood plasma for free, but in my experience, which I've made very brief, the Red Cross primarily deals with whole blood more than plasma. Quite frankly, I couldn't even tell the differences. There's a lot going on before we even get to the concept of what a fair deal between donors and blood banks look like.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well you used that dirty word fair again.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

As much as I'd like to imagine I have all the answers in life, I've been made painfully aware by many ex-girlfriends that I don't know crap. I posted this for awareness and because I thought it was interesting. There's also thirty or so different topics brought up in the piece, so as far as finding a solution, we'd need to know the problems in its entirety. I thought the most interesting thing was that blood plasma composed 2% of all of the US's exports. Then there is the whole language issue, between donation vs payment, whole blood vs plasma. We have a few people who said they've given blood plasma for free, but in my experience, which I've made very brief, the Red Cross primarily deals with whole blood more than plasma. Quite frankly, I couldn't even tell the differences. There's a lot going on before we even get to the concept of what a fair deal between donors and blood banks look like.

Fair enough and I think I see what happened.. I read the article you posted but didn't click the link, didn't think I had to since you had posted the entire article..

Your title, "What is the Blood of a Poor Peron Worth?" doesn't appear in your copy/paste so I thought you were politically editorializing.. but without comment. When I click the link, I see that you were just giving the thread the same title as the article.. so my apologies for thinking YOU were the one suggesting something you may not have been.

yebat' Putin
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
thumbsup All fair. I'll start copying the title into the article as well in the future.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus What Is the Blood of a Poor Person Worth?

Link Copied to Clipboard