Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's only been that way for 50 years. No need for Trump to be held to the same standard. I understand. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1591879 02/12/19 05:17 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's only been that way for 50 years. No need for Trump to be held to the same standard. I understand. wink

It's nice that you can focus on something that you can really get behind...me? I'm looking at the economy, unemployment, welfare roles declining, prison reform, energy production and foreign countries paying more for their own protection.

It's important stuff that I understand. If future Presidents get the darned job done like that, I won't care to see their tax returns either.

FWIW, I'd like to see Obama's college transcripts. I've been told that he was the smartest President ever...yet no one has seen the grades...or a diploma. Interesting.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, presidents have been releasing their college transcripts for 50 years now.

wink

Deflection will get you nowhere.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

This whole "my refund wasn't as much as last year" thing is questionable. I have not had my taxes done yet for last year, but I'll say this: I have not gotten a refund in probably 2 decades.

Why? Because I prefer to pay as close as I can to what is due, and settle up the difference in April. If I overpaid, (now, and for the last 16 years), my overpayment is applied to my first quarterly payment.

Wife used to get upset......."I have friends that are getting back $7,000. Why don't we get any back?" Because, honey, if your friends are getting back $7,000 a year, all they did is over pay by $134 a week throughout the year."

I guess for some, that works. For me, it doesn't. I'd rather have the money in MY account as opposed to letting the gov't. have it.

To each their own.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Wife used to get upset......."I have friends that are getting back $7,000. Why don't we get any back?" Because, honey, if your friends are getting back $7,000 a year, all they did is over pay by $134 a week throughout the year."
That's not necessarily true. lol.

Working in banking, I know a few that get 10K+ back and I know for a fact they were not overpaying.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It doesn't make any financial sense to allow someone to play with your money all year without paying any interest on it.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1591892 02/12/19 05:29 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
We all know the government won't pay interest, but they sure will charge you interest when you owe them. smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tax lady called, I have to go meet on Friday. I'm a little anxious tbh, I am going to freak out if I owe as much as I did last year.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
To answer your last question(s). I do not have any clients in the top 3% of earners or income. However, if they have earned income and are in that 3%, there are no magical loopholes or tax breaks that open up for them that would not open for family #2 in my example...meaning there aren't any new breaks for that group...only higher marginal tax rates.

FWIW, the rest of your last post is very reasonable and I agree with most of it...maybe all of it actually. However, my reference to obscene and/or fair circles back to my point of 'how much more paid in is enough'?

If a family that paid in $120,000 in federal taxes now pays in $105,000 due to the tax breaks, that doesn't mean they aren't still paying in an awful lot of $$$. Of my higher, taxpaying clients...far and away the majority are ok with paying more - and paying at higher rates even - but they've had enough of politicians making them out to be evil and making them out to be people who 'don't pay any (or enough) taxes'. Hence my (and their) question of how-much-is-enough?

Thanks for answering my question. I'm curious because 3%ers have more capital and ways to work around the tax law. For example, setting up tax free foundations that allow them to play some accounting games between their personal accounts and their foundations or companies, and maybe immediate family. For example, Bill Gates has donated 28 billion dollars to his and his wife's foundation since it has been established. In fact, he's bragged about how he's given away most of his yearly earnings to charity, yet every year he gets richer and richer.

There was also a story years ago of a CEO who took a dollar salary and paid for everything through loans backed by his stock interest. This not only allowed him to not pay income taxes, but to claim that he did not have any income to tax. Ofc he still has capital gains, but the reduced income tax helps.

I wasn't trying to imply that 3%ers have more tax cuts, but that they have interesting ways to get around of it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ya, I'm aware it's based on taxable income. No worries. I'm not a tax preparer but I've self prepared every return since I earned income. I use software to help automate and track but otherwise every deduction I track and scan and itemize. I didn't itemize last year as the 24000 standard was better, but I have the last few years. Now that I no longer work out of my house I can't deduct as much smile

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
*Scratching my head* What I could never figure out is that if Double-Taxation of Income is Unconstitutional. Then why do we have to pay taxes on our Social Security saywhat

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
I’m glad I didn’t lower my tax withholding. I had to change my w4 to include extra withholding per pay period to match what it was in 2017. Whew....I’d be paying Uncle Sam bigly. This year my refund is a pittance of what it was for the last 10 years. Huge Tax break for the middle class? LOL Ok.thanks trump supporters!

I’d be better off if I just retired stopped paying taxes. Start collecting my SS intitements that I earned. Moved to Panama where I can spend all your American dollars. Start a tour bus biz and take all your American dollars. And donate 90% of the profit to fight for immigration rights in your America.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Huge Tax break for the middle class? LOL Ok.thanks trump supporters!

Here's the real disconnect. People were told that, "the average family will save $4000 dollars."

That's not what the vast majority are seeing. They simply weren't taking into account that this would be an average of ALL families. That includes families that make millions and billions. Those aren't "average families". But it was a nice play on words to sell an idea.

So they were sold a bill of goods and are just now figuring it out.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1592122 02/13/19 10:03 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Huge Tax break for the middle class? LOL Ok.thanks trump supporters!

Here's the real disconnect. People were told that, "the average family will save $4000 dollars."

That's not what the vast majority are seeing. They simply weren't taking into account that this would be an average of ALL families. That includes families that make millions and billions. Those aren't "average families". But it was a nice play on words to sell an idea.

So they were sold a bill of goods and are just now figuring it out.

I see you've not learned a thing in this thread.

GMdawg #1592125 02/13/19 10:08 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
*Scratching my head* What I could never figure out is that if Double-Taxation of Income is Unconstitutional. Then why do we have to pay taxes on our Social Security saywhat

It is so because our Congressmen and Women - who don't pay into social security - voted it to be that way. Odd how that works. It's a little piggy bank for them.

GMdawg #1592127 02/13/19 10:12 AM
Legend
Legend

Ding Ding... you win the best question of the day

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
I see you haven't either. It's rather obvious that when one family saves $100,000 dollars there's not going to be $4000 for another family.

Are you trying to tell me that when those at the top save so much, there will be that $4000 for the average family?

The average per family includes all families, not the average family.

As of 2014, the average family income was $73,298. Now you're the tax expert. Explain to me how they are going to save $4000 dollars.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
@PitDawg...I think he might be referring to the debate of straight tax-refund numbers versus additional pay-check earnings + tax refund, which better represents the tax liability spread through the year.

I have heard a couple people complain they have received $1000+/- less than last year. But I also know what they saw for in increase in their weekly paycheck, and if they did the math they were about even or possibly ahead, but when I asked about the extra weekly earnings, the looked completely lost.

Last edited by FloridaFan; 02/13/19 11:15 AM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And I understand exactly what he was saying. When you have less taxes deducted weekly, even with a tax cut your refund may still be smaller while still paying less total taxes for the year. That makes perfect sense to me.

My supposition was that what people were told may be where the confusion is. When people are told that the average family will save $4000 on their taxes, it's easy to see where they would feel that means an average family income would receive that amount of a total tax break. However, if you take into account that millionaires and even billionaires will receive huge tax cuts, that will not allow a family with an "average income" to receive a $4000 dollar tax break.

That's where I think people feel they may have been deceived by the way the tax breaks were represented.

I just don't think he understood the point I was trying to make.

#gmstrong
GMdawg #1592142 02/13/19 11:38 AM
Legend
Legend

Because that money was never taxed when you earned it?

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, the days of having tax advantages for owning a home are over. There is now a $10K cap on how much you can deduct for mortgage interest and property taxes COMBINED.

This really sucks because those 2 numbers combined are always WAY more than $10K for me. Now, my deductions are seriously lower, which makes my Adjusted Gross Income much higher and therefore my tax liability seriously higher.

This little trick is going to cost me thousands of dollars. Awesome.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
DIEHARD #1592220 02/13/19 12:56 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's the thing about a tax package. Often times the devil is in the details.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The GOP should drop the elephant mascot/emblem and adopt a Big ole Screw with a bunch of nuts as their new one...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
DIEHARD #1592246 02/13/19 01:47 PM
N
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
N
I saw yesterday about a high earner single woman (made upper 6 figures per year) who was complaining about her taxes-and she was told her tax rate went down.
All she replied back was-my mortgage and salt are limited to 10k and last year they were 288,000. Now that is a hit.

DCDAWGFAN #1592259 02/13/19 02:08 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Exactly. I think the idea was that they would withhold SS benefits and not add that as part of your taxable income, but you would get it back in your retirement years, where it would be your entire income, and that would get taxed at a much lower earnings rate.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
@PitDawg...I think he might be referring to the debate of straight tax-refund numbers versus additional pay-check earnings + tax refund, which better represents the tax liability spread through the year.

I have heard a couple people complain they have received $1000+/- less than last year. But I also know what they saw for in increase in their weekly paycheck, and if they did the math they were about even or possibly ahead, but when I asked about the extra weekly earnings, the looked completely lost.

What extra weekly earnings? I had the same weekly earnings exactly as the year before and I’m getting less than half the refund I did for 2017 taxes. Pfft. Ripped off by the trump supporters. Thanks.

– Jackie Robinson
DIEHARD #1592349 02/13/19 05:21 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DIEHARD
Well, the days of having tax advantages for owning a home are over. There is now a $10K cap on how much you can deduct for mortgage interest and property taxes COMBINED.

This really sucks because those 2 numbers combined are always WAY more than $10K for me. Now, my deductions are seriously lower, which makes my Adjusted Gross Income much higher and therefore my tax liability seriously higher.

This little trick is going to cost me thousands of dollars. Awesome.

Also as it stands you can’t deduct mortgage or home property insurance premiums anymore so only those who can afford to pay cash for property never had to worry about that so the trump supporters pulled off another dirty little trick on the middle class.

– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A
Well, I would guess you've gone from the 12% bracket to the 25% bracket to the 30% bracket?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
The GOP should drop the elephant mascot/emblem and adopt a Big ole Screw with a bunch of nuts as their new one...

That should be used by BOTH sides.

DCDAWGFAN #1592353 02/13/19 05:30 PM
Legend
Legend

Did we not pay that tax based on our income? Were we not FORCED to pay that tax with the promise of SS? and I may be wrong but we pay 6.2 percent of our income into SS and we have already paid taxes on our total income.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Well, I would guess you've gone from the 12% bracket to the 25% bracket to the 30% bracket?

rofl It’s not a bracket.

Next you and willit will be saying “we never liked tax brackets nor do we still like tax brackets.

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
Just finished my tax returns. They are less than half of what I got in previous years. Trump's tax cut has given me a marginal net benefit - or it may even be a marginal net loss. Basically it's a joke as far as I can see - it was a way for Trump to give a lot of money to the uber wealthy.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
GMdawg #1592356 02/13/19 05:36 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A

Did we not pay that tax based on our income? Were we not FORCED to pay that tax with the promise of SS? and I may be wrong but we pay 6.2 percent of our income into SS and we have already paid taxes on our total income.

Double taxation? What about the estate tax, or inheritance tax as some call it?

That money was taxed when earned, yet somehow the government thinks they should get more when someone dies?

A
Legend
Legend
A

rofl It’s not a bracket.

Next you and willit will be saying “we never liked tax brackets nor do we still like tax brackets.

Cool.

You said you went from 12% to 25%. More than doubling your taxes, last year. Yet never accounted for how that happened.

F
Legend
Legend
F

That money was taxed when earned, yet somehow the government thinks they should get more when someone dies?

I thought that too, until I realized the estate tax is taxed because the person inheriting it did not pay tax on it.
While I disagree with it, especially the amount at which it is taxed, I kind of can understand the reasoning.

Legend
Legend

We get screwed all the way around on taxes. People don't even notice all the taxes we pay. Gas tax per gallon, property tax, sales tax, the taxes we pay on everything using sugar, imported shoes, etc, etc, etc lord the list goes on for days.

GMdawg #1592364 02/13/19 05:43 PM
Legend
Legend

Dude really? You really going to pay those taxes in full? The POS in the WH doesn’t pay any? Our government is so disfunctional it shuts down and holds the entire country hostage costing $6 billion dollars to middle class tax payers. If I owed taxes in retirement I’d go on the payment plan and tell them I can only afford a dollar or two a week.

– Jackie Robinson
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

I thought that too, until I realized the estate tax is taxed because the person inheriting it did not pay tax on it.
While I disagree with it, especially the amount at which it is taxed, I kind of can understand the reasoning.
Money that is earned is taxed. Money left to you that a thoughtful caring person already paid earned tax on, should not be taxed again.

Legend
Legend

Dude really? You really going to pay those taxes in full? The POS in the WH doesn’t pay any? Our government is so disfunctional it shuts down and holds the entire country hostage costing $6 billion dollars to middle class tax payers. If I owed taxes in retirement I’d go on the payment plan and tell them I can only afford a dollar or two a week.

Let me know which prison you end up in. I will stop by and visit you brownie

A
Legend
Legend
A

Democrat much?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Its Tax Time

Link Copied to Clipboard