Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
The defensive depth of this draft is exceptional. Two more players deserving of consideration. Needham, DB. Hill, DT.

Nik Needham
Trysten Hill

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Just off the cuff, I'm looking at DBs. I think some of these guys fall into the BBC mould who may be able to play outside but would have good ball skils and could also play safety. I always look for guys who can play instinctively, and look for words like ball skils, ball hawk, instincts, etc. I just try and assimilate as much info from different sources as I can and try and watch tape where available.

Montre Hartage (Northwestern) | 6-0 | 195
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/02/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-montre-hartage/

I'm intrigued by Hartage and will be digging around.

From walterfootball -
Quote:

2/9/19: In 2018, Hartage recorded 51 tackles with 13 passes broken up and two interceptions. He is a smart defender who has quality instincts and technique. Hartage also is a physical defender and a good tackler, but he could lack the speed and athleticism to cover in the NFL. Moving to safety might be the best plan for him. Hartage had a solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine.

8/29/18: According to NFL preseason data, Hartage checks in at 5-foot-11, 191-pounds and runs the 40-yard dash in 4.50 seconds. He has 31.5-inch arms, nine-inch hands, and a wing span of 75.13 inches.

In 2017, Hartage totaled 57 tackles with seven passes broken up, one forced fumble and three interceptions. That came on the heels of an even-better season in 2016, when Hartage recorded 60 tackles with nine passes broken up and five interceptions. He is a solid corner who is steady and reliable in coverage.

Another guy I like -

Clifton Duck (Appalachian St) | 5-10 | 175. Again projected as potentially an UDFA but the words ball hawk , instincts keep re-appearing on him. Undersized (apparently) at 5-10 but I will keep digging on him as what I've found on initial looks is encouraging:

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/01/clifton-duck/

From Walterfootball:
Quote:

2/9/19: Duck totaled 51 tackles with five passes broken up and an interception in 2018.

8/29/18: If Duck were larger, he would be rated higher due to his tremendous ball skills with impressive instincts. As a sophomore, he totaled six interceptions, 50 tackles and six passes broken up. Duck recorded five picks, eight breakups and 57 tackles during the previous season.

Couple of others -

Sean Bunting (Central Michigan)
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/09/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-sean-bunting/

Xavier Crawford (Central Michigan) - may even be a UDFA
https://twitter.com/pff_college/status/1070531534590013440?lang=en

Interesting link I found whilst trawling -

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/sleeper-spotlight/

E
Legend
Legend
E
Avery...I'm sure Dorsey has more up his sleeves.
We do have 11 picks and 6 in the last 3 rounds.

We have the opportunity for making a choice considered a "Sleeper"

Who knows cause after about 20 picks it goes all over the place on who picks who.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Good post, drobs. I'm aware of most of those prospects. I have an unfounded bias to get some size into the corner position. I can't recall the heights and weights for Bunting and Crawford. But Hartage is a player whose measurables approximates what I'd like to see. Plus I've seen some Northwestern games this year and I like his game. As EO pointed out in his post, Avery is an example of Dorsey finding guys who haven't received a lot of media recognition. Tyreek Hill was a Dorsey find that wasn't widely known either. There are guys at multiple positions that could make a roster who aren't household names.

Derrick Willies was a UDFA find for the Browns who has potential also. Hoping to see him come back and compete this season.

Let me turn my attention to the DT, Trysten Hill for a moment. I watched several UCF videos. BTW, UCF has been a good defense for a few years. A couple of things that were impressive to me where his first step/get off. He didn't stop his feet when he got stoned or double teamed by OL. The dude pursues to the whistle and will run across the field to make a play. This is a +300 lbs player.

Last edited by guard dawg; 02/17/19 11:42 AM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
If Dorsey only uses 6-7 picks and hits like he did last year we will be set for a while. I just hope he hits again and it wasn't a fluke. If he hit's we should make him our Ozzie until he retires.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I prefer driving day cabs

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: kingodawg
I prefer driving day cabs

That’s semi clever what you did there.

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
A little bit more on Hill - he looks like a very intriguing prospect -

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/21/sleeper-alert-mid-round-defensive-tackles-you-want/

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I agree drobs, as a rookie I'd expect him to be up and down but with some NFL coaching, he has a foundation of skills to build on. His effort on the field suggests he has the mentality to get the most from his talent so I think he'd put in the work.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Another guy I've been looking at - Sean Bunting out of Central Michigan.

Had very good combine numbers (4.42 40, 41" vertical, 126 broad)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/sean-bunting

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/sean-bunting?id=32194255-4e57-1021-66ef-1efc8a34ff51

Latter round pick but I woulnd't mind seeing us use one on him as a developmental guy. Seems to fit the scheme Wilks wants to run and has skills.

I also still like Clifton Duck out of App. State...

EDIT - found this:

https://cmuchippewas.com/news/2019/3/14/football-chippewas-show-their-strengths-on-pro-day.aspx

Seems like Bunting is rising....

Last edited by drobs; 03/24/19 05:24 AM.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Living in a MAC town and getting to many Rocket games, I missed the game when CMU came to town. I've been hearing some buzz about Bunting and CMU has another corner that is also getting some attention, Xavier Crawford.

I like what I've heard. I didn't realize he was a taller prospect or that he ran so well at the combine.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Both Crawford and Bunting will be good players IMHO. Crawford reportedly ran a sub 4.4 at his pro-day.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
These guys seem to fit the mold of Dorey late rounders, don't they? I like Crawford's size. I want some length back there.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I agree. However, there were no Browns reps reported to be at the CMU pro day. Not sure how much you can read into that to be honest.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Draftanalyst.com, run by Tony Pauline has Crawford ranked as the #6 CB. Ahead of Deandre Baker who he has at #8 and Justin Layne at #12.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

Get him in the 5th round, like we did Avery, just saying...

P
Legend
Legend
P
From that film he isn't in Avery's class not even close ... JMHO tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
That's fine, but he's also an inside linebacker.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Now I do, but earlier in life, I liked them frisky all night.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I read that article. If we go in another direction at #49 then we might have to consider him in round 3 to have a shot at drafting him. If there is a run on corners and he's available in the 3rd. That's a bit higher than I would like but I could see it.

Hopefully, some of the other players mentioned might be targets as priority UDFAs.

Other CBs I like if they are still on the board in rounds 3 or 4: Jordan Brown, Isaiah Johnson, Jamel Deen, Corey Ballentine, Xavier Crawford and Mark Fields.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C - I'd love us to pick up Bunting. I'd be surprised if he falls past us in the 3rd to be honest.

I also think the guy Guard mentioned - Trysten Hill - would be a great mid round pick up.

I'm also still pimping Clifton Duck - he may be a day 3 or even UDFA but I think the guy can play. Undersized, but terrific ball skills. new link:

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/01/29/raiders-2019-draft-prospect-cb-clifton-duck/

Last edited by drobs; 03/30/19 12:17 PM.
Legend
Legend
I really want Sean Bunting! His ability to play the ball in the air is amazing. Its like things slow down for him and he makes things looks so simple.

Because he's a riser, its hard to say where he'll get drafted. I'm hoping we can get him in the 4th.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Drobs, I've taken a look at Duck. His only limitation appears to be size. He makes up for it with twitch and speed. I like him. He could make a living as a slot DB. Dude is a fearless tackler too. In a zone he has noticeable ability to break on the ball. If we take two corners he'd be the second corner I would draft.

What really puts him ahead of a lot of other prospects is his kick return ability. Combined that with what he can do as part of the secondary makes him very attractive.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Drobs, I've taken a look at Duck. His only limitation appears to be size. He makes up for it with twitch and speed. I like him. He could make a living as a slot DB. Dude is a fearless tackler too. In a zone he has noticeable ability to break on the ball. If we take two corners he'd be the second corner I would draft.

What really puts him ahead of a lot of other prospects is his kick return ability. Combined that with what he can do as part of the secondary makes him very attractive.

Thanks for taking a look Guard. I agree - it's not the size of the dog in the fight necessarily laugh I think he's going to make whoever drafts him very happy. Fantastic slot / zone CB with plus PR skills as you say.

Last edited by drobs; 03/31/19 12:48 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kerrith Whyte, Devin Singletary's backup at FAU, is kind of interesting.

Probably only a late rounder or PFA, but has speed (4.36 Pro Day 40) and some kick return experience. Agility numbers not the greatest, but explosion stuff look awesome:

Quote:
Whyte performed 21 bench press reps, leaped 11 feet in the broad jump, and recorded a 42-inch vertical jump in front of scouts from the NFL, CFL and AAF. Twenty-nine of the NFL’s 32 teams attended, an FAU spokesperson said.

link

Highlights show a lot of open field, so hard to get a great read on some of the finer points of being a RB. Speed is evident, though. Showed good contact balance once he was moving a few times.

Pass blocking could use work.

Didn't really see any of his hands. Had 10 catches with 2 TDs and a 16 ypc average, though. Not bad for a back up on paper.

While never being "the man" is somewhat a negative, it does mean he has less wear and tear.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone know anything about Tim Ward? He's the DE opposite Oshane Ximines at ODU.

Seems to be a great athlete, but awareness and strength at the point of attack are somewhat lacking. Speed to power flashes at times.

Could only find tape of him by watching games of Ximines, and he wasn't in all of them. Trying to track down why.

Looks like he could be a nice developmental guy to me.

KC hosted him for a top 30 visit.

Sidenote: In the all time great football names, an inaccurate QB from Liberty named "Buckshot," who often plays out of shotgun, might be the winner. (Upon further investigation, Buckshot is only his nickname, still a pretty good one. Real name: Stephen Calvert)

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Now I do, but earlier in life, I liked them frisky all night.

thumbsup

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I'm not sure that you can be a sleeper coming out of Nebraska but with all of the uncertainty about Duke's future in Cleveland, there seems to be some interest in Devine Ozigbo. He has a visit scheduled with the Browns

Last edited by guard dawg; 04/02/19 03:25 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That breakdown kind of makes him sound like Trent Richardson.

I need to watch more of him. I've heard/read good things elsewhere.

If I'd only been exposed to that summation, I'd be a little wary of him.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I'm surprised we're having him in, at all. We're kinda stacked at RB.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Sadly, I expect the team will be moving Duke, maybe by draft day.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, but we have Chubb and Hunt. Hilliard can be the backup for the first 8 and then be the 3rd back. I wouldn't draft a RB unless it was really late. Hell, you can find good RBs as UDFA's.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I'm not advocating for Ozigb, I'm just informing the board that the team is looking at him.

Even with that, I think it would a completely avoidable mistake to trade Duke, have Chubb miss time for any reason and rely on Hilliard to be our primary RB. I can't see Dorsey making that gamble. If Duke gets moved I expect the team to add a RB, be it by the draft or UDFA.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't criticizing you. I was expressing my opinion that I would not draft a RB before the 6th or 7th round. It's simply an opinion. I can voice it, right?

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Absolutely your right. I do agree that no RB should be taken before round 6. I'm fine with a UDFA also, just add something to the pile.

Last edited by guard dawg; 04/02/19 08:35 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I'm surprised we're having him in, at all. We're kinda stacked at RB.

Possibly a late rounder especially if he can play ST. 5th round and later looking for ST players who can possibly work their way into a backup/starting role.

So anything can happen after the 4th round. Just being thorough and BPA the kid is raw and has explosive power. With RBs you never know their length of service. btw no similarities to Duke at all. More a Chubb like RB.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Donnie Lewis Jr, CB, Tulane is another guy we're bringing in. Don't know much about him. Only saw him vs. Wake Forest after a quick search. Had a nice looking INT, but nothing really stood out for good or ill as far as physical traits.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Saw that, too. He looks interesting. Mirrored well and stayed in hip pockets out of press against App. State (2017). Need to find something against better competition and from the most recent season, though to get a better feel.

Saw he was visiting several other team, too.

Fiercely Independent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season 2019 NFL Draft I love sleepers...don't you?

Link Copied to Clipboard