Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
excellent player to have at least quality depth,
I also look for him to become a jumbo fb against teams that are weak up front against the run he had some of the highest graded run blocks of the year

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

It seems obvious to me that once Freddie adjusted the O to quicker pass plays and schemed to best use the skills his players possessed, it made it much easier on the OL and Baker to execute the plays being called.

The familiarity Baker gained as the season went on with his WR's helped too. The combination of Baker and Freddie made everyone look better. IMO that's why Freddie got the job.

Isn't that the way a coach is supposed to operate? Shula was good at that as I remember. Noll seemed to feel you had to fit a mold. Strange,, both successful

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
In general, Joe Thomas' opinions carry little weight with me. He has been wrong sooooo many times.

An awesome player does not equal awesome commentary.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Or he is not as smart as people think but a great LT.

Has anyone else paid close enough attention to know why Memphis is dogging Joe Thomas?

No, I haven’t

Getting too personal rather than talking football. Counter-productive and does nothing in advancing the board...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
GREG ROBINSON
T, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Browns have started negotiation talks with free agent LT Greg Robinson.

Browns GM John Dorsey "hopes" that the two parties can come to a multi-year agreement, and it's likely that they will ultimately come to an agreement after Robinson expressed interest in returning to Cleveland. Robinson views the Browns as an organization that believes in him, and it showed during his mini-breakout during the last eight games in 2018.

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter
Feb 21, 2019, 9:26 PM

It's great to hear that Robinson wants to repay the Browns faith in him. It is pretty incredible to see a bust player join the Browns and show up as one of the steals of the offseason. He's clearly worked hard and he deserves the reward.

I don't see it being a contract that leaves him uncontested at the position, but he'd be a great option to have.

I'm very interested in what will happens with Desmond Harrison. He was one of the stars of camp, and his beginning to the season was very impressive until he fell off a cliff. Everyone spoke highly of Harrison in his ascension to starter, but it remains to be seen if he was more a Hue Jackson guy or indeed he was liked by everyone. It's hard to tell with Kitchens, but Dorsey seemed genuine in his early praise of Harrison.

Those two guys are going to be key in determining what selections are used for what.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Harrison should have never seen the field. He was not physically strong enough and it was ultimately exposed. It was a red shirt year..

I still have hope for him, but was we saw was not the final product.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
Legend
Legend
E
btw, Schwartz is a Pro Bowl RT. that was a total mistake on our part to let him go. hmmm oh wait it was Dorsey that picked him up I think...lol

I see a couple of really good OTs in this FA Market. I don't think Robinson does well at RT he was given up on quickly at LT and then moved to RT and did not do well.

But there are a couple of FA's I would love to get. Hubbard was "OK" but the kid from the Patriots would be a beast for us at RT.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

It seems obvious to me that once Freddie adjusted the O to quicker pass plays and schemed to best use the skills his players possessed, it made it much easier on the OL and Baker to execute the plays being called.

The familiarity Baker gained as the season went on with his WR's helped too. The combination of Baker and Freddie made everyone look better. IMO that's why Freddie got the job.

Isn't that the way a coach is supposed to operate? Shula was good at that as I remember. Noll seemed to feel you had to fit a mold. Strange,, both successful

That's actually the point I was making. When you actually have a running game and the coach calls plays that use his players strengths, it shows. It wasn't simply magic that things made a sudden turn for the better once Freddie took over.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Harrison should have never seen the field. He was not physically strong enough and it was ultimately exposed. It was a red shirt year..

Agreed. Nice to have a developing player. I'm more worried about RT, to be honest. Chris Hubbard, for a 5 year $36M contract, was a little underwhelming.

He improved as the season progressed, but I'd like to see some more competition at the spot.

Legend
Legend
Remember last year when we were worried about fielding a competent OL after Joe retired?

I think that we have a better than competent OL right now, and solid+ depth in Harrison and Corbett. I expect that we'll grab another OL in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round this year for developmental purposes, and really start a talent pipeline up front.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: BDU

Agreed. Nice to have a developing player. I'm more worried about RT, to be honest. Chris Hubbard, for a 5 year $36M contract, was a little underwhelming.

He improved as the season progressed, but I'd like to see some more competition at the spot.

Maybe the contract, but statistically Hubbard is alot better than Robinson. There are 65 Tackles in the NFL(starters) Robinson was ranked 63 by PFF, Hubbard was ranked 50th

The line looked better because of our guards and center getting good push, allowing a space for mayfield to step up and move around into..not because of our tackles.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
That Pat tackle, IIRC, standing in the huddle appeared to be taller than players near him. My wife remarked on it. Is he a big beast like that noticeably bigger? I am all in for a huge tackle or two up front.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I think that we have a better than competent OL right now, and solid+ depth in Harrison and Corbett.

I'd take it up a notch and suggest we have a more than competent OL, but a excellent one, particularly on the interior. I don't, however, see how we can include Harrison and Corbett as solid depth. Harrison sucked last year and Corbett only played in 14 snaps. That's not to say both cannot improve but I saw nothing that would qualify them at good depth up to this point, IMO. That said, I think the offensive line depth for awhile now has been lacking.

I think our offensive line depth is VERY questionable at this point and I hope, and expect, Dorsey addresses it somehow.

Tackles are tackles.
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Originally Posted By: BDU

Maybe the contract, but statistically Hubbard is alot better than Robinson. There are 65 Tackles in the NFL(starters) Robinson was ranked 63 by PFF, Hubbard was ranked 50th

The line looked better because of our guards and center getting good push, allowing a space for mayfield to step up and move around into..not because of our tackles.

Not to mention that Mayfield gets the ball out like lightning so the tackles didn't have to block for too long regardless.

I agree on the interior. They were incredible. I was a little disappointed with Zietler following his first season in Cleveland, so to see him come back and destroy everything in his path was fantastic. That's not to suggest he's ever been bad, but the first season just wasn't dominant.

I think Nick Chubb deserves a nod, too. He was impressive considering most rookie running backs struggle greatly with blocking.

I do, however, think PFF's grade of Robinson is a little too far, in my opinion. He's not a solidified starter, but he's certainly solid. Again, though, both spots could do with some competition.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Not to mention that Mayfield gets the ball out like lightning so the tackles didn't have to block for too long regardless.

I think there were times when Baker got rid of the ball quick. That occurred when his first read was open. However, he ranked 17th in the league in Time to Throw, which I guess is about average.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#yards

P
Legend
Legend
P
I wonder how it would break down if we saw the stat between the first half of the season verses the last half of the season?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good question. I was thinking the same thing.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I think there were times when Baker got rid of the ball quick. That occurred when his first read was open. However, he ranked 17th in the league in Time to Throw, which I guess is about average.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#yards

Hmm. Pit does make a going point regarding post-Jackson play. I think the ball was definitely coming out then.

Hard to know why he's so low. Admittedly, this is another season where lower TTT directly correlated with mobility, frequency of deep passing, strength of OL and an outlier or two of ball holders.

Mayfield isn't a scrambler like some of 'em, but he's excellent at extending the play both inside and outside the pocket. I wonder if it just feels like he gets it out quicker because he's so controlled.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Interesting that it's a one-year deal.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Browns re-sign OL Greg Robinson

The Cleveland Browns have re-signed OL Greg Robinson.

Robinson joined the Browns last season and appeared in all 16 games, starting the final eight at left tackle. Cleveland surrendered just five sacks during the second half of the season -- the lowest of any team in the league -- compared to 33 in the first half. Robinson protected for QB Baker Mayfield, who set an NFL rookie record with 27 touchdown passes, and opened holes for RB Nick Chubb, who set a Browns rookie record with 996 rushing yards.

Originally selected by the Rams with the second overall pick in 2014, Robinson has started 56 of his 68 career games with the Rams (2014-16), Lions (2017) and Browns (2018). He is a native of Thibodaux, La. and attended Auburn.

In addition, the team has waived WR Daniel Williams. Williams spent the final four weeks of the season on the club’s practice squad.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...medium=referral

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Maybe he wanted more money and the Browns said no, but we'll pay you well on a one year Show Me Deal and then, if you produce, we can make it a very lucrative long term deal.

Maybe.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

I really like that it was a short term deal, I did not want Robinson long term...His work ethic comes into question, and if you listen to the last time Bitinio spoke, you can pick on some of the language that Greg actually was applying himself and he seems to need a lot of pushing imo...FO knows it, and why a short deal was worked imho...I just think he would be the type to once again report out of shape and be lazy with a long deal imo.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
JC...

I really like that it was a short term deal, I did not want Robinson long term...His work ethic comes into question, and if you listen to the last time Bitinio spoke, you can pick on some of the language that Greg actually was applying himself and he seems to need a lot of pushing imo...FO knows it, and why a short deal was worked imho...I just think he would be the type to once again report out of shape and be lazy with a long deal imo.

Interesting. I was wondering why the short term deal. Hopefully playing year-to-year keeps him motivated. I also see us drafting a LT whereas I didn't really think we would before if we resigned Greg.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Agreed.

L
Legend
Legend
L
probably because he's plan B or C depending on Harrison. Dorsey plans on addressing in draft of FA/trade

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Agreed.

Not really.

We also have Harrison, and he could be the future. There are no guarantees with Robinson, but if he continues to show progress, he could also be the future. I would be willing to bet that the Browns and Robinson's people were far apart on a longer term deal, and this was the compromise, giving Robinson the chance to show the Browns he deserves a long term deal.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Perfect. We can have him in the mix for 2019 and if he stinks, replace him in 2020. There is no such thing as a bad one year deal.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Agreed.

Not really.

We also have Harrison, and he could be the future. There are no guarantees with Robinson, but if he continues to show progress, he could also be the future. I would be willing to bet that the Browns and Robinson's people were far apart on a longer term deal, and this was the compromise, giving Robinson the chance to show the Browns he deserves a long term deal.

While Desmond Harrison has less experience, he is nearly the same age as Greg Robinson. Harrison was born October 8, 1993, Robinson October 21, 1992. Harrison lost a lot of developmental time due to his problems off the field.

Legend
Legend

The one year deal assures that if they see a guy in the draft that they like; they will most likely draft him.

I am unsure about Robinson being a long term solution.

Harrison has to come to camp with the attitude that he needs to win that LT spot.

I still see the tackle positions as open for competition.

Not that Robinson and Hubbard are bad but they need to fight to keep the starter role.

If there is a perceived upgrade early or a guy they feel will develop then they should draft them.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Left tackle seems to be a pretty deep position in the draft this year too. We might be able to snag a high quality player at 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I am not ready to speculate what the one-year deal means, but I am glad that Dorsey got Robinson signed. I bet Baker is, too.

Legend
Legend
I thought he'd at least get 2 years... I am glad we got him for another year though. I'll take it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I thought he'd at least get 2 years... I am glad we got him for another year though. I'll take it.

Greg Robinson has been one of the worst players in the league (aside from the games he started for us last year). One year is the perfect length for a contract for him.

Legend
Legend
good news, and a good deal for us IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's a good contract for both the player and the team.

8 games isn't going to get the player a big 4 year deal.

This way the player doesn't sign a low deal for 3-4 years, and the team isn't strapped in to a big deal for a player who isn't worth it..

Play the year, then the big deal follows, or it doesn't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Agreed.

Not really.

I was more surprised that Robinson was willing to take a one year deal rather than test FA. Betting on himself for one year.

It's a great deal for the Browns. Lots of flexibility.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I was more surprised that Robinson was willing to take a one year deal rather than test FA.

I agree w/this. Not saying we are right to think so, but I was somewhat surprised that Robinson agreed to the one-year deal this early in the process.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 02/25/19 08:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I was more surprised that Robinson was willing to take a one year deal rather than test FA.

I agree w/this. Not saying we are right to think so, but I was somewhat surprised that Robinson agreed to the one-year deal this early in the process.

I guess we'll find out, but it had to be a pretty fair 1 year deal. That, and maybe he sees a team on the rise and he wants to be here.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Quote:

I guess we'll find out, but it had to be a pretty fair 1 year deal. That, and maybe he sees a team on the rise and he wants to be here.

Robinson has more value to the Browns than any other team. To the rest of the league he is probably still the horrible player he was pre-Kitchens. That limits his market a ton.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns start negotiations with G. Robinson

Link Copied to Clipboard