Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
GREG ROBINSON
T, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Browns have started negotiation talks with free agent LT Greg Robinson.

Browns GM John Dorsey "hopes" that the two parties can come to a multi-year agreement, and it's likely that they will ultimately come to an agreement after Robinson expressed interest in returning to Cleveland. Robinson views the Browns as an organization that believes in him, and it showed during his mini-breakout during the last eight games in 2018.

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter
Feb 21, 2019, 9:26 PM

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
GREG ROBINSON
T, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Browns GM John Dorsey "hopes" that the two parties can come to a multi-year agreement, and it's likely that they will ultimately come to an agreement after Robinson expressed interest in returning to Cleveland. Robinson views the Browns as an organization that believes in him, and it showed during his mini-breakout during the last eight games in 2018.

This is good to see. Signing Robinson would give us some options in the draft.

He certainly has the physical skillset. I just wonder if last year was an anomaly with this guy. But, who knows, maybe he finally gets it.

Either way, it's more depth and competition at the LT spot. Whether it be him, Desmond Harrison, or some rookie LT that manages to fall to us.

I just like the idea of not having to draft for need

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
GREG ROBINSON
T, CLEVELAND BROWNS

This is good to see. Signing Robinson would give us some options in the draft.

He certainly has the physical skillset. I just wonder if last year was an anomaly with this guy. But, who knows, maybe he finally gets it.

Either way, it's more depth and competition at the LT spot. Whether it be him, Desmond Harrison, or some rookie LT that manages to fall to us.

I just like the idea of not having to draft for need

Agreed. I think we draft a tackle relatively high, but signing Robinson removes the need to. He has 5 years experience but is still only 26. He's a physical freak at 330 and still able to move. It's always been injuries, technique, and mental mistakes that hurt him in the past, not ability. Hopefully he learned dome technique from Wiley and Joe Thomas. Joe seems to think Robinson is the guy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't have a premium subscription to PFF, but I did a quick search and Robinson had a 59.6 grade, which was in the "Average" category.

He looked pretty good by my eye test, although I didn't focus on him too much. He looked good in pass pro, but got some holding calls. I didn't see him display the ability to get to the second level while run blocking, but again, I didn't study him.

A cool thing I saw was that after Week 17, the Browns had the 2nd best overall grade for offensive lines. Only the Steelers were higher.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C - I hope we can lock him up and like others have said, not make T a need. If we have a room of Robinson, Harrison and a latter round guy like Bobby Evans, I think we’d look pretty.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Coach Campen the new DL coach who came from the Packers has a long track record of putting together good lines. That should help Robinson continue his development.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't have a premium subscription to PFF, but I did a quick search and Robinson had a 59.6 grade, which was in the "Average" category.

He looked pretty good by my eye test, although I didn't focus on him too much. He looked good in pass pro, but got some holding calls. I didn't see him display the ability to get to the second level while run blocking, but again, I didn't study him.

A cool thing I saw was that after Week 17, the Browns had the 2nd best overall grade for offensive lines. Only the Steelers were higher.

Baker.

Legend
Legend
GREG ROBINSON
T, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Really happy about this move.. Hope it works out.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Like WRs, a great QB, can make o-line look good by simply playing.

L
Legend
Legend
L
he'd be good depth/start if needed..but lets not pretend hes good, he and Hubbard were in the very bottom of tackle rankings, with Robinson being worse, like 2nd to last. Quick throws and Baker's knack for navigating the pocket had alot more to do with GR looking serviceable. Maybe Campen can help him. I just hope we don't pay him top T money. Curious on the contract.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Say what you want, but once he was installed, we started playing better...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
J/c

I hope we re-sign him and he ends up the swing guy because Harrison has developed all that raw talent ... that’d be AWESOME ....

Robinson gave up zero sacks over the last 8 games but he had 6 holding penalties ...

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Under Hue and Haley he was struggling, as soon as Freddie came on you saw a distinct difference. They had Robinson engaging right away even on pass pro, they weren’t trying to make him Joe Thomas, they allowed him to get his hands on the ends immediately and his physical talent matches most defensive ends in the league.

Long into short, they schemed him into good spots to maximize what he does well. I don’t see a lot of 7 step drops in our future.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Not letting players you want to keep get to the open market is always a good idea. Robinson shouldn’t be too expensive and he played well. With that said, we should have a backup plan in case Robinson regresses. The other free agent options aren’t great and would be very expensive (like Nate Solder last year). Re-signing Robinson takes a need off the table.

Legend
Legend

If Dorsey liked him enough to try and resign him; I am all in.

Harrison hopefully will put in the work to improve.

Robinson has the pedigree. With him it seems to be about consistent effort. Doing everything possible to improve ones craft.

I think we will be ok on the OL. If we can find a good value in the draft that would not hurt as well.

E
Legend
Legend
E
GREG ROBINSON
T, CLEVELAND BROWNS

thumbsup

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Not letting players you want to keep get to the open market is always a good idea. Robinson shouldn’t be too expensive and he played well. With that said, we should have a backup plan in case Robinson regresses. The other free agent options aren’t great and would be very expensive (like Nate Solder last year). Re-signing Robinson takes a need off the table.

That says it all in a nutshell... thumbsup

Last edited by bbrowns32; 02/22/19 11:48 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Get 'er done! thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Baker.

And Freddie.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Taylor Lewan is the highest paid LT in the NFL according to www.overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/ at $16 Mil. per year So how much per year and how many years should we go for a LT like Robinson? He made $790, 000 last season ...

Last edited by PastorMarc; 02/22/19 12:53 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Give him whatever works out to about $5MM to $6MM/year in guaranteed on a four year deal. That gives us a solid, viable LT while Harrison develops. We end up with a year or two of overlap in contracts by the time Harrison is up for a new deal, if he pans out... but it also gives us time to find a longer term solution if Robinson doesn't stick around beyond that. If Harrison studs out, one of the two can slide over to RT or be the swing man (or be trade bait).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Taylor Lewan is the highest paid LT in the NFL according to www.overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/ at $16 Mil. per year So how much per year and how many years should we go for a LT like Robinson? He made $790, 000 last season ...

If he is middle of the pack or slightly below. I'd say 6mm-8mm should do it, the more money he wants the shorter the deal is for.

Legend
Legend

Thomas and fellow former Browns offensive lineman Shaun O’Hara believe Robinson can hold down the left tackle job.

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 02/22/19 06:24 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
good news

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
In general, Joe Thomas' opinions carry little weight with me. He has been wrong sooooo many times.

An awesome player does not equal awesome commentary.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I am a FA football player and the Browns are calling, I am listening.

What a difference a year makes....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Excellent news.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
E
Legend
Legend
E
thumbsdown

Do you actually listen to what he says. You got to read past the HOMERISM and get the football. He was pretty descriptive of what he thought about Robinson. The fact you hold little weight to what he says, is not a positive on your part.

He's a homer so he gets to the most possible positives of this team. You got to read through that and listen and digest the nitty gritty, especially about the OL.

Don't confuse Rah Rah from Football.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

It seems obvious to me that once Freddie adjusted the O to quicker pass plays and schemed to best use the skills his players possessed, it made it much easier on the OL and Baker to execute the plays being called.

The familiarity Baker gained as the season went on with his WR's helped too. The combination of Baker and Freddie made everyone look better. IMO that's why Freddie got the job.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Robinson has the pedigree. With him it seems to be about consistent effort. Doing everything possible to improve ones craft.

I think we will be ok on the OL. If we can find a good value in the draft that would not hurt as well.

' Here's a thought.
Maybe the Browns should stop trying to fill the offensive line through the draft, they have a "bad" track record at it.

Even the good guys they get, (maybe 30%, if top picks are considered) don't necessarily stay on the team.

I'm going back to Fowler and whats his name at Center, both before Alex Mack, and then the .. Schwartz, Mitchell Schwartz.
ONeil Cousins, the most recent 1st round tackle 4 years ago.

And don't count the 2nd round picks, sigh, and then, Corbitt, a finesse project if ever you'd seen one on draft day, (has since done ???, very little)

The icing on the cake that it was a bad pick?, the immediate following 2 piocks after Corbett were 2 players at his exact position, each with better highlight vids, and looked tougher in their photos.

Don't pass on real players? Just don't draft O linemen, (or get em later in the mid rounds) Ehhh! every year team situations are different.

Such a track record, If the Browns "do" draft an O lineman early, I'm just gonna write him off and wait to be wrong, because the team hasn't done well in finding Olinemen in the draft,

they've done better finding them in FA, and as a position they're hard to find in FA.

Maybe they should just bring back Greg(g) Robinson and look for other "impact" players early in the draft.

CAN they get another tight end! Can they get a top notch TE and a FS, players who can change games, maybe put you over the top, in tough games.
Momentum Changers.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Going one step further, I am relieved to be able not to draft in a panic or a crisis. Locking this up would help us in draft and FA considerably. But I would still consider a big FA at LT as well.
Just too huge a position with BM having success. But I don't think we need to be in panic mode just yet. Dorsey has more than enough assets to make this happen.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

It seems obvious to me that once Freddie adjusted the O to quicker pass plays and schemed to best use the skills his players possessed, it made it much easier on the OL and Baker to execute the plays being called.

The familiarity Baker gained as the season went on with his WR's helped too. The combination of Baker and Freddie made everyone look better. IMO that's why Freddie got the job.

Quicker pass plays? Hmmmm. Mayfield was throwing the ball all over the field weekly. Everywhere.

Deeper. Outside. Inside. Deep middle. Seams. Everywhere.

Rarely a Screen.

Was it Kitchens or more OL calls by a QB who had the "Lights Come On"?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Or he is not as smart as people think but a great LT.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: bonefish

' Here's a thought.
Maybe the Browns should stop trying to fill the offensive line through the draft, they have a "bad" track record at it.

Even the good guys they get, (maybe 30%, if top picks are considered) don't necessarily stay on the team.

I'm going back to Fowler and whats his name at Center, both before Alex Mack, and then the .. Schwartz, Mitchell Schwartz.
ONeil Cousins, the most recent 1st round tackle 4 years ago.

And don't count the 2nd round picks, sigh, and then, Corbitt, a finesse project if ever you'd seen one on draft day, (has since done ???, very little)

The icing on the cake that it was a bad pick?, the immediate following 2 piocks after Corbett were 2 players at his exact position, each with better highlight vids, and looked tougher in their photos.

Don't pass on real players? Just don't draft O linemen, (or get em later in the mid rounds) Ehhh! every year team situations are different.

Such a track record, If the Browns "do" draft an O lineman early, I'm just gonna write him off and wait to be wrong, because the team hasn't done well in finding Olinemen in the draft,

they've done better finding them in FA, and as a position they're hard to find in FA.

Maybe they should just bring back Greg(g) Robinson and look for other "impact" players early in the draft.

CAN they get another tight end! Can they get a top notch TE and a FS, players who can change games, maybe put you over the top, in tough games.
Momentum Changers.

????

Joe Thomas?
Mack?
Schwartz?
Bitonio?

I think we've actually done pretty good drafting o line and that hasn't been easy for any NFL team for quite a while.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Relax, he's rolling.

[/obscure Animal House reference]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Joe Thomas?
Mack?
Schwartz?
Bitonio?

I think we've actually done pretty good drafting o line and that hasn't been easy for any NFL team for quite a while.

Precisely.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
In general, Joe Thomas' opinions carry little weight with me. He has been wrong sooooo many times.

Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Has anyone else paid close enough attention to know why Memphis is dogging Joe Thomas?

L
Legend
Legend
L
not really, no.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll PM you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Has anyone else paid close enough attention to know why Memphis is dogging Joe Thomas?

No, I haven’t

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns start negotiations with G. Robinson

Link Copied to Clipboard