Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend

Very good news! Has graded really well as a rusher. Thought this was a great fit.

7th highest pass rush grade in 2018 amongst Edge defenders.

Right behind his new teammate Myles Garrett!

Vernon had the *7th highest pass rush grade in 2018 amongst Edge defenders*.

So let’s not act like he can’t play or is simply above average. He’s really good.

14th highest overall grade amongst Edge defenders. Also right behind Garrett, who was 13th.

https://twitter.com/BrendanLeister/status/1104056393705930753

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
What's a Dorsey?

A huge upgrade over a Sa...... Never mind.

wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
So we now have our two edge rushers rated at #70 and #55 out of all NFL players in the league.

This sounds terrible!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Add in a Malik Jackson and things would become very intriguing along the front 4.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Man, he just throws tackles off him... what a great motor, at least on this video anyway. This could be fun to watch with Garrett working with him.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Add in a Malik Jackson and things would become very intriguing along the front 4.

I think that this could well be our first target in Free Agency. Maybe not Malik specifically, but a DT for certain.

Same as last year, we had all sorts of perceived weaknesses/holes heading into free agency that was shaping many of our views of what we should do in the Draft... and Dorsey's approach was to attack every last one of those weaknesses by way of signings or trades. I do not think this year, or any year, will be any different, as long as there are suitable players available.

So, look for a WR, DT, LB, and probably a CB to get brought aboard before the end of March.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The best possible scenario for any team is to head into the draft without a huge need to fill obvious holes. It creates a situation where a GM has to reach for needs. Dorsey seems to try and stop this situation from occurring.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I think this is a trade that helps out both teams. Sad to see Zeitler go but as any Fantasy Football player knows if you want to get a talented player you either give up a talented player or a quantity of good players.

We trade Zeitler but have Corbett waiting in the wings to take over. He's an unknown but if he plays well its even keel. With Collins gone and Ogbah underperforming we had a need for pass rush and Vernon is a proven commodity. One spot of strength still has the potential to remain strong while also upgrading a position of need. Now with that hole filled we can focus on other areas in the draft and free agency.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've got nothing bad to say about this trade other than I wish we would have squeezed a little more out of the Giants. They needed Zeitler more than we needed Vernon.

That said, Vernon is a great upgrade and more importantly has a much different style than Garrett. He is a high motor bull rusher that plays to the whistle.

Flip flopping Garrett and Vernon each play will help wear both of the opposing team's tackles out. They should be able to feed off of each other.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
This appears to be a great trade. If Corbett is ready then this is what you want to see your GM doing. I love that with this FO the moves just make sense. I’ll miss Zeitler but Corbett was a high 2nd round pick and should be very serviceable. This move shows confidence in him too. What a draft that was!

Legend
Legend
I have been thinking about this, and how about we sign Anthony Barr, Pierre Desir (since Wilks plays a fair amount of zone, and Desir is a good zone CB) and the kid from San Diego, Darius Philon.

I think that would make the defense pretty darn good all around.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The best possible scenario for any team is to head into the draft without a huge need to fill obvious holes. It creates a situation where a GM has to reach for needs. Dorsey seems to try and stop this situation from occurring.

You're right.

Last year, through trade and FA he bolstered the defensive backfield which was our biggest weakness. Didn't completely fix it, but made it so it wasn't a desperate need. Sound strategy.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do think the Giants are getting the better player but the Browns will be better because of it. Our situations are just different, we have Corbet, they have literally nothing on defense.

Traded snacks
Let Collins walk
traded Vernon

Yeah the offense should be good, but they are not a good football team.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C - I think firstly I will say - thanks Kevin.

Secondly, I trust Dorsey on this because quite frankly he has been pretty right so far. We drafted Corbett and to be frank if hes not ready to start this year then Dorsey needs to mail it in.

</possible sarc>

Vernon and Garrett. Oh my lord. Get us a 3-T and we are cooking on gas. Or a corner. Meh.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BpG
Yeah the offense should be good

Did you forget who the QB is?

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I'm a bit surprised by this trade, but it seems like a pretty good move for both teams.

The Giants OL sucks and KZ will really help them out. Moving Fowler to RG last year turned out to be a disaster.

We needed to generate more pressure on the qb w/out blitzing as much and Vernon is very strong, plays w/good leverage, and has a high motor. I also think that moving up in the draft from the 5th to 4th round is nothing to idly dismiss.

I hope that Corbett is up to the task. If he is, it's all good for us. If he isn't, this could get messy.

Regarding salaries.........I think both KZ and Vernon are highly paid so I don't think it's a big deal. I do think both are overpaid, but what can you do about that now?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Jc...Not a huge fan of the trade, but then I can some of the reason as well.

I'm a huge supporter of giving your franchise QB max protection and an arsenal of weapons...So on a grading scale, we are giving up our best O lineman near his prime (Don't get me wrong Bitinio is elite on his own as well)

I've seen how good Zeitler was for the Bengals...and how he locked down the RG spot for us on an elite level...I still don't see nothing wrong with 12 mill a year for an elite Olineman...I had no qualms of keeping Zeitler...heck least he earns his money (Jamie Collins was a mediocre LB for a hefty what nearly 11 mill...made total sense to dump him)

This year's FA class stinks in the Oline facet (draft is a letter better this year Oline wise- nothing great though) Be interesting to see what some Olineman contracts are this year.

Nothing against Dorsey, and I understand him cutting away the expensive fat on his steak (Jamie Collins) But I don't understand when you cut away a piece of your juicy meat (Zeitler) I know our DE spot needed improving-but there's a whole FA class of DE's and a draft class right after that...But I do understand Vernon when healthy, is a really sharp DE...And I hope he plays very well for us!

Should be an interesting couple weeks here.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

You're right.

Last year, through trade and FA he bolstered the defensive backfield which was our biggest weakness. Didn't completely fix it, but made it so it wasn't a desperate need. Sound strategy.

This Dorsey Kat knows EXACTLY WHAT HE IS DOING.

Exciting times, DAWGS.

Bring on Sunday.

Diam. We need THREE Airbus A-380.

I'm telling u now. THREE.

Last edited by kwhip; 03/08/19 06:26 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'm not going to complicate this trade.

- Oliver Vernon is a high-end pass rusher who'll be plug and play. You add him with Garrett, Ogunjobi and then you add a guy like Oliver or Wilkins in the draft? Forget it. That's a nightmare DL. One of the best in the NFL... if not the best. Vernon isn't an elite player like some on the internet are building him up as, but he's damn good.

- Kevin Zeitler is an excellent guard. He's a pro-bowl level player who will be missed. But he's also a guard. I'd take a DE over a RG any day of the week - especially when that guard is immediately replaced by a young, high draft pick who has developed for a year in the NFL already.

I think it's pretty clear the Browns win this trade.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I like it, providing Corbett can do it

If not, it doesn't make it a bad trade. It makes it a bad pick. I like the trade.

We traded 1 of 3 we thought could start for a position of need.

Good trade.

If Corbett can't do it, that is on the guys looking at the tape.

I trust our process. I think we have a good group of football guys tied together with a good analytics team offering solid information.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's been practicing for a year. It's no longer on the guys that studied the tape and more on the guys that studied him in practice now.

Legend
Legend

When you look at the trades Dorsey has made.

He moved guys we had to get off the team and in return got players to address needs.

Kizer had to go. You can't develop two young quarterbacks. Plus Kizer proved he didn't learn quickly enough. In return we get Randall who really contributed last year.

Corbett was drafted to play guard. He had a year to learn behind two good ones. They know he is ready or close to it.
Zeitler was a good player but at this point he was an asset to be leveraged.

When you watch Ogbah he gets stoned at the line way to often. He just doesn't get around guys with enough regularity. He played the run ok.

Vernon was out of place in a 3-4. He is a pass rushing DE. And a upgrade over Ogbah.

You are right about exchanging a fifth for a fourth. That could end up being a much better player or better ammo in a trade.

Dorsey knows how to use all avenues to build a team.

He plans to win today but keeps an eye on the future.

Ogbah may be able to play inside but he will have to prove it or be gone.

Avery coming off a very good beginning along with Vernon and Garrett gives us an improved pass rush.

The Collins cut opens up a position. Kirksey may be able to move outside. If not we still have free agency and the draft. Dorsey wants more from our linebackers and I believe he will get it.

He most likely has his target. We will find out who.
The 2018 draft by Dorsey was about as good as we could possible imagine.

The Browns are very fortunate to have John Buddy Boy Dorsey. I have never been as confident in our GM as I am today with Dorsey.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We have SIGNIFICANTLY weakened the right side of the Oline (without question) to POTENTIALLY upgrade the DLine and ADDED to our payroll?

I guess we will see....

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
He's been practicing for a year. It's no longer on the guys that studied the tape and more on the guys that studied him in practice now.

So you are against the trade?

I think the Giants need blockers to support Barkley and the new QB they draft.

I know everyone likes when you can rape a team, but the best deals are the ones that work for both teams.

If you have a GM who is trying to clearly win trades, you aren't going to make many trades.

The thing I like is we turned one of out 5th rounders in to a 4th rounder. That is going to be huge when we start trading up in the draft.

John and Paul have a plan.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
We have SIGNIFICANTLY weakened the right side of the Oline (without question) to POTENTIALLY upgrade the DLine and ADDED to our payroll?

I guess we will see....

Potentially upgrade the DL? C'mon now. I've been one of the board's most vocal supporters of Emmanuel Ogbah, but Vernon is a clear and significant upgrade.

And that is important, because having a pair of incredible pass rushing defensive ends is an incredible boost to the Browns prospects of having playoff success.

There is no doubt we've weakened our OL, but don't undersell the upgrade.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns Scribbles: Key to big trade with N.Y. Giants is Austin Corbett – Terry Pluto
Updated 2:54 PM; Today 12:51 PM

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my Cleveland Browns notebook as GM John Dorsey makes a big trade – guard Kevin Zeitler to the New York Giants for pass rusher Olivier Vernon. The two teams also exchanged middle-round draft picks.

1. My first thought about the deal was hating the idea of dealing Zeitler. I know he’s not an elite guard. But he’s a very good guard, a very durable guard. He has not missed a game in the last four seasons. The Browns offensive line bloomed in the final eight games, allowing only five sacks.

2. Zeitler was a big part of the improved line performance. I didn’t want anything to change on a line that found out how to protect rookie QB Baker Mayfield.

3. But I also trust Dorsey. The Browns GM has made a gutsy deal, because he’s counting on Austin Corbett. Dorsey took Corbett at the top of the second round in 2018. He was a left tackle at Nevada, but scouts projected him as a guard. He played very little for the Browns, stuck behind Pro Bowl guard Joel Bitonio and Zeitler.

4. Dorsey is counting on Corbett to take over for Zeitler at right guard and continue to give the Browns excellent run blocking and pass protection. We won’t know if he can do it until Corbett sees regular action. Dorsey is showing faith in the young man in the strongest possible terms: opening the door to start.

5. Money also was a factor. Zeitler was signed by the Sashi Brown front office to a 5-year, $60 million deal in 2017. I thought it was a wise move then, and I still do. Zeitler has three years and $32 million left on his contract.

6. The other huge part of the deal is Vernon, who can be a disruptive pass rusher when healthy. Vernon suffered a high ankle sprain right before the 2018 season opener. He sat out the first five games and didn’t seem healthy when he returned.

7. Vernon had only one sack in his first six games. In his final five, he seemed to be finding his old form with six sacks. In his final game of the season, he had 2.5 sacks and six – that’s right, SIX – quarterback hits against Dallas. That’s the player the Browns hope will be coming to Cleveland.

8. The trade also shows how the Browns want depth at the other defensive end from Myles Garrett. And they aren’t totally sold on Emmanuel Ogbah, who had been starting at that position.

9. The 28-year-old Vernon has two years left on his contract at $15.2 million annually, according to Overthecap. So the Browns are adding $3 million to their salary cap total. That means they have a lot of confidence in Vernon’s ability to bring more quarterback pressures to the defense.

10. New defensive coordinator Steve Wilks probably had some influence on this decision. Wilks loves to blitz and has the goal of upgrading the Browns pass rush.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/03...erry-pluto.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

How many of us would consider a move like this?

I did question what the Browns were going to do with their guard situation? I pictured a scenario where Corbett would continue as a backup OG and be worked at RT.

Obviously the Browns think Corbett is ready to start but needed a position. The Browns also need to beef up their defensive line..in one deal, both situations are addressed.

I'm not going to attempt to grade this deal until I see performances on the field..after next season.

How the Browns come out with the draft pick, moving up 23 picks could add value to the trade for the Browns...we shall see.

Last edited by mac; 03/08/19 07:52 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

Not quite sure how you can say significantly.

Corbett was drafted in the second round by Dorsey. Most of his picks have proven to be very good selections.

Corbett was not going to play last year behind Bitonio or Zeitler. Both are highly paid for guards.

He has had a year to learn. He has to be given the chance to play. They know what he is after watching him for year.

Ogbah has not done much. If he had this deal would not have been considered. Vernon has graded way higher at the position.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

So you are against the trade?

I think the Giants need blockers to support Barkley and the new QB they draft.

I know everyone likes when you can rape a team, but the best deals are the ones that work for both teams.

If you have a GM who is trying to clearly win trades, you aren't going to make many trades.

The thing I like is we turned one of out 5th rounders in to a 4th rounder. That is going to be huge when we start trading up in the draft.

John and Paul have a plan.

Nope, I like the trade but it's more of a semantics thing. If Corbett was a bad pick, we would have known it last year. I'm certain John picked up the phone and asked Freddie about Corbett as soon as Zeitler's name came up in trade talks. He specifically asked if Corbett is ready to step up. Freddie might have consulted others before answering.

So semantically if Corbett didn't work out, it could turn out to be a bad trade, but it would most likely be a coach or personnel guy's fault more than John's unless John ignored someone's advice not to trade Zeitler.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Ogbah has not done much. If he had this deal would not have been considered. Vernon has graded way higher at the position.

Agreed.

Kimberly Jones, NFL Network, tweeted out that next gen stats say Vernon pressured the QB on 15.9% of his 3rd down rushes (8th in the NFL) and had 33 pressures after the Giants' week 9 bye, which was that 3rd most in the NFL.

Ogbah is solid depth who can be relied upon if he needs to step up. Vernon is a clear starter and might just well be the most threatening thing in the AFC North that isn't wearing 95 on the same damn team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,
I have yet to comment on this trade, but this is going to benefit MG more than most will think. So imo this trade is a two fold upgrade. Forget about Ogbah. This trade will benefit our best defensive player.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not looking to blame any one person.

I think everybody from coach to analytics person thought it was a good move to make. At least I hope it was.

My hope it the coaches said Corbett was ready to fill in and the strategy folks said it made sense in strengthening the roster.

In the military some generals are strategists. Some are tacticians.

Ike set the strategy. Patton figured out how to carry out the plan on the battlefield.

Two different skill sets.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
The swap of draft picks definitely helps this deal from our side. We move from 155 to 132, per NFL.com.

It's still not much. Moving 23 spots that late in the draft doesn't amount to much value.
I disagree. 23 picks is 3/4 of a round. That is the difference between getting the player you want(perhaps a player that slides) and having someone beat you to him.

I'm glad we did this. We needed a bookend pass rusher for Garrett. The way the draft is looking, a LOT of DL players will be taken way before 17. We needed a pass rusher. He got us one. Now Dorsey can let the draft come to him. We USED to do this way back when we were a good team. If we had a need we tried to fill it before the draft so that we could always take BPA. Now we pretty much can. Regardless of position Dorsey can take the best player on his board(within reason of course... I don't see him taking a QB) or he can move up a few spots to get the player he really wants if necessary. I will, of course, miss Z. He played very well for us. But he was making a lot and we just drafted a guard. We could always draft another smile What is more important? A guard or a pass rusher? If Vernon gives us 10 sacks and Garrett gives us 15 that is 25 from two players. A very good start.

When it comes to building a team I trust Dorsey. He's done well so far. Not sure about his staff picking yet. Jury is still out. But I like the teaam he is building. I really don't think he's done. He could make more trades before all is said and done...

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
j/c,
I have yet to comment on this trade, but this is going to benefit MG more than most will think. So imo this trade is a two fold upgrade. Forget about Ogbah. This trade will benefit our best defensive player.

Not to mention what it will do for the secondary to have two phenomenal pass rushers coming from both edges.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
We needed a bookend pass rusher for Garrett.

I have read most of this thread and the consensus seems that he will replace (supplement) Ogbah. Is this indeed factual? While I do understand that guys move around some, to me it appears that someone is going to be seriously out of position. Input please...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 03/08/19 08:42 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
The swap of draft picks definitely helps this deal from our side. We move from 155 to 132, per NFL.com.

It's still not much. Moving 23 spots that late in the draft doesn't amount to much value.
I disagree. 23 picks is 3/4 of a round. That is the difference between getting the player you want(perhaps a player that slides) and having someone beat you to him.

I'm glad we did this. We needed a bookend pass rusher for Garrett. The way the draft is looking, a LOT of DL players will be taken way before 17. We needed a pass rusher. He got us one. Now Dorsey can let the draft come to him. We USED to do this way back when we were a good team. If we had a need we tried to fill it before the draft so that we could always take BPA. Now we pretty much can. Regardless of position Dorsey can take the best player on his board(within reason of course... I don't see him taking a QB) or he can move up a few spots to get the player he really wants if necessary. I will, of course, miss Z. He played very well for us. But he was making a lot and we just drafted a guard. We could always draft another smile What is more important? A guard or a pass rusher? If Vernon gives us 10 sacks and Garrett gives us 15 that is 25 from two players. A very good start.

When it comes to building a team I trust Dorsey. He's done well so far. Not sure about his staff picking yet. Jury is still out. But I like the teaam he is building. I really don't think he's done. He could make more trades before all is said and done...

I agree it makes a BIG difference. Some people see a 4th rounder. Some people like us see have two 3rd rounders three 4th rounders turning in the 2nd and 3rd round picks. Maybe an additional 2nd or 1st.

We aren't going to use all of these picks to select the same number of players. We are going to combine some to move up and hopefully select better players.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns trade Kevin Zeitler for Olivier Vernon

Link Copied to Clipboard