C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
This thread is to discuss defensive tackles. It's a very deep class and deserves in-depth discussion of all prospects, not just the guys we think will go in round 1. So who do ya'll like? I'm fairly partial to Dre'Mont Jones as a penetrating DT.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm pondering if Zach Allen (BC) should/could transition inside. Shows a quick first step and high IQ and motor, but not a bender.

Armon Watts (Arkansas) is another guy I find interesting who hasn't had as much hype. Low mileage, Late bloomer. Has nice flashes. Needs consistency.

I'm not as high on Dre'Mont as I thought I'd be. Between Mariotti and Larry Johnson, he's probably fairly close to maxed out. 3rd round, sure. 2nd round, maybe. Round 1, no thanks.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think DreMont Jones is being underrated, I would draft him over almost every DT on the board with the exception of Quinnan Williams and Christian Wilkens, DreMont was a beast for the Buckeyes.

Jones was excellent throughout the 2018 season, including a hot start with huge plays to help lead Ohio State to wins over Oregon State and TCU. He totaled 8.5 sacks, 40 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, two passes batted, one forced fumble and a 28-yard pick-six on the year. In 2017, Jones recorded 20 tackles with five for a loss, one sack and two passes broken up. The 6-foot-2, 281-pounder was very disruptive for Ohio State. He earned a starting job as a redshirt freshman in 2016 and totaled 52 tackles.

Jones has ton of physical talent with speed at the point of attack. He is very fast with an excellent burst off the snap to fire his gap and cause disruption in the backfield. In the NFL, he would be a great fit as a three-technique in a 4-3.

Here are his Stats for 2018: Games 14 Solo Tackles 26 Assist 17 Total Tackles 43 Tackles for loss 13.0 Sacks 8.5 Ints. 1 FF 1

Last edited by PastorMarc; 03/11/19 12:38 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At 281 pounds he's gonna get swallowed up in the run game and it doesn't make sense to use a 1st rnd pick on a part time player.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Legend
Legend
P
He is a 3 down player and he is very good against the run ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Besides Ed Oliver is 275 and most have him as a top 10 pick????

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

He's also slipping because he was billed at 300 lbs at Houston.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ed Oliver is a physical freak and didn't have 7 other 5* recruits on the same DL drawing attention.

Fiercely Independent.
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: dawg66
At 281 pounds he's gonna get swallowed up in the run game and it doesn't make sense to use a 1st rnd pick on a part time player.

Exactly why I mentioned him, because he's not likely to be a first round pick. The topic about the 17th pick is full of discussions about 1st round DTs. This thread was partially made for discussion about the other guys.

P
Legend
Legend
P
lol I guess we all have our opinions but I watched every game he played and he showed up up every game, he may not be taken in the 1st yet again maybe he will, and I'm just saying whoever takes him is getting and every down DT that can both Rush the passer and stop the run ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

Ed Oliver is a physical freak and didn't have 7 other 5* recruits on the same DL drawing attention.

Maybe not but he played against one of the weaker schedules you will find ... RICE ARIZONA TEXAS TECH TEXAS SOUTHERN TULSA ECU NAVY USF SMU TEMPLE TULANE MEMPHIS ... Unlike Dre'Mont Jones smile

Last edited by PastorMarc; 03/11/19 01:55 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He weighed 287 lbs.

[Linked Image]

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
I also think he'll be good. Which is why he is the DT I chose to mention. But it takes more than good to be a first round pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think DreMont Jones is being underrated, I would draft him over almost every DT on the board with the exception of Quinnan Williams and Christian Wilkens, DreMont was a beast for the Buckeyes.

Jones was excellent throughout the 2018 season, including a hot start with huge plays to help lead Ohio State to wins over Oregon State and TCU. He totaled 8.5 sacks, 40 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, two passes batted, one forced fumble and a 28-yard pick-six on the year. In 2017, Jones recorded 20 tackles with five for a loss, one sack and two passes broken up. The 6-foot-2, 281-pounder was very disruptive for Ohio State. He earned a starting job as a redshirt freshman in 2016 and totaled 52 tackles.

Jones has ton of physical talent with speed at the point of attack. He is very fast with an excellent burst off the snap to fire his gap and cause disruption in the backfield. In the NFL, he would be a great fit as a three-technique in a 4-3.

Here are his Stats for 2018: Games 14 Solo Tackles 26 Assist 17 Total Tackles 43 Tackles for loss 13.0 Sacks 8.5 Ints. 1 FF 1

I don't think Jones is being underrated at all. He is the opitimy of a tweener. Too light for a DT at the next level, and too slow with little natural bend for DE in a 43, and he is not a two gap 34 5t DE either.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Some DT prospect I would consider selecting after the 1st round.

--Armon Watts, Arkansas

-- Isaiah Buggs, Alabama
(Played DE, but projects to DT in the 43.)

-- Renell Wren, Arizona St.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Byron Cowart (Maryland) is another interesting later round guy. Another DE to DT prospect. Film habits are/were a concern, but he may have figured the mental work required component out finally after having relied on athleticism as a former top recruit.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Tillery for everything except the questions about dedication. His concentration on football came secondary to his missionary work for 2 years at ND. His senior year he was focused on FB, but the knock was already established and could be a legitimate concern. If he's all in on FB, he could be a 2nd round steal.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I like Tillery for everything except the questions about dedication. His concentration on football came secondary to his missionary work for 2 years at ND. His senior year he was focused on FB, but the knock was already established and could be a legitimate concern. If he's all in on FB, he could be a 2nd round steal.

Tillery is as good a pass rusher as any DT in this years Draft, so I might consider him in the first round, if like you say he is totally committed to doing what it takes to be the best he can be. Only our FO can make that determination.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

Tillery is as good a pass rusher as any DT in this years Draft, so I might consider him in the first round, if like you say he is totally committed to doing what it takes to be the best he can be. Only our FO can make that determination.

2nd round I agree. 1st round, nope.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
Ed Oliver is 6'2"; 287lbs; Jones is 6'3"; 281lbs.

That boby type will typically run about 7 lbs per inch, so, in theory, Jones' girth is about 13lbs short of Oliver's.

That said, if we don't take Wilkins in the 1st (I don't expect Oliver to be there), I still want to trade up to grab Simmons near the top of round 2. Seriously, he is my 2nd favorite DT after Williams and I am willing to wait a year.

My DT Rankings (regardless of injury) smile

Q Williams- Alabama
J Simmons- Mississippi St
E Oliver- Houston
C Wilkins- Clemson
R Gary- Michigan (though probably a base end)
D Lawrence- Clemson (at Nose)
J Tillery- Notre Dame (3-4 End?)
D Jones- Ohio State

The top 6 I consider 1st round talents (though Simmons ACL makes him a prime candidate for a fall to day 2 and Tillery's size and mobility make him a prime candidate to go to a 3-4 team earlier than expected).

Or are we here to discuss later round guys?

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I think talking about the draft can be a lot of fun. It's cool to disagree on players and pine for your guy.

What's gotten tiresome on this board is how some talk about opinions and projections as if they are facts. They are not facts. They are opinions and projections. That superior tone is more than annoying.

I think it might be better to say things like I wonder if he can play here or I question his size for one position and his burst for another instead of saying things like "he can't" or "he is too...."

None of us know for sure.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If I understand the idea of the thread it's about guys not expected to go early, right?

Of that group, these are some that I like quite a bit,

Ranell Wren, I think he's still improving as a player.

Kahlen Saunders, comes with low pad level as standard equipment, lol. Very athletic for a 320 lbs. 1 Tech

Trysten Hill, you can see the first step explosion but his hand usage and rush plan need to be developed. I think he could develop like Ogunjobi.

Charles Omenihu, a 3 Tech in a DE's body. His length compensates for his slight build, 6"5", 275 lbs. By yr two, 295 lbs

Terry Beckner, maybe more of a stout gap controller.

Maybe Daniel Wise, honestly read more about him than watched him. (KU) a lot of nice things said about his game.

All Pro
All Pro
Considering the free agent insanity that is occurring, we may be better off trading a pick for a DT. smile

I'm still dumbfounded how guys who a team wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for are making 6 million a year...

Who's on the trade block?

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey guard, I thought Wren stood out at the Combine. Also, there was a dude from Arkansas that caught my eye.

I know you like Simmons a lot. I watched some stuff on him after you spoke highly about him. I liked what I saw. Do you think he could last until our second round pick?

V
Legend
Legend
V
You make a lot of good posts, Red. I like reading your stuff.

All Pro
All Pro
Thank you, Vers.

Though I've fallen into a depression suddenly with the realization that I likely won't make 2 million in my lifetime. In my lifetime smile

6 million a year for a TE who can't stay on the field... I give up.

Back to the cannonball run of Free Agency tweets!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Vers, I don't think he'll last to 49 where we pick in round 2. I think he's worth moving up in the second to get him. That additional 4th rounder we got in the Vernon deal might do it. There's also talk about Ogbah or Duke that might get us additional draft capital. Personally, I don't want to move from either guy but you never know with Dorsey.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Back to the cannonball run of Free Agency tweets!

Yes, an escape from reality...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks guard.

I think we have some assets w/a lot of draft picks and guys like Duke who can help us move up in spots.

I'm a fan of moving up in rounds 2,3, and 4. I was a fan of moving down in round 1 when things were normal, but we've done enough of that and I hope we don't move down in round one this year. I really don't want us to move up, either.

Of course, that line of thinking could change depending on the way in which the draft unfolds.

Legend
Legend

Normally I would be all over the draft.

This draft just poked around a little bit and looked at guys that caught my eye.

The case with Simmons presents an interesting dilemma.

We need help at DT this year. Simmons is for sure a top talent in this draft of deep talent on the DL.

Simmons tore his ACL. He will drop. How far? Unknown.

If we were to say sign a guy like Richardson for a year with an option year and go after Simmons if he makes it to round two. That could address now while planning for the future with a top eight pick.

That would make sense to me.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I like that line of thinking.

Legend
Legend
If we were to get Richardson and Mosley are front seven will be vastly improved.

Having Simmons in the oven for year that is good planning.

I am big on Mosley. I think he would really help the Browns. He is good all around player who set the defense.

He would open up defensive options.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

This draft just poked around a little bit and looked at guys that caught my eye.

We need help at DT this year. Simmons is for sure a top talent in this draft of deep talent on the DL.

If we were to say sign a guy like Richardson for a year with an option year and go after Simmons if he makes it to round two. That could address now while planning for the future with a top eight pick.

Move back in to the 1st round to get Simmons...say late 20's. Our second, a 3rd, and 5th should do it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Move back in to the 1st round to get Simmons...say late 20's. Our second, a 3rd, and 5th should do it.

No way would Dorsey consider doing that.
he is not worth giving up so much.

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don’t know bro ... we got lots of draft picks ... 10 rookies aren’t making this team ...

Not sure it would cost that much either ...

Still wouldn’t shock me if we take one at 17 ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I don’t know bro ... we got lots of draft picks ... 10 rookies aren’t making this team ...

Except that Simmons is not as good as this board thinks that he is.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Except that Simmons is not as good as this board thinks that he is.

You keep forgetting to add "in my opinion."

Legend
Legend

Just curious why do say that?

Have you watched a lot of his games?

If so what did you see?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think Simmons has some top talent but his bum knee scares me away from him at pick #17, if we took him in the 2nd I wouldn't have as big of a problem with him, we need #17 to play and contribute this year ...

E
Legend
Legend
E

I was going to post his name and ask DIAM a Notre Dame enthusiast about him. He is 295 and one of the quickest/fastest DTs in this draft. His 6'6.5" Frame says to me that he can add more Muscle to him and get even quicker.
I don't know if 34.25" length of arms is a lot but seems to be pretty long arms.

Interview would be important. I would like to know if we set up a visit with him that would be key on our interests!

jmho - Diam what is your take on this kid?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season 2019 NFL Draft Defensive Tackle

Link Copied to Clipboard