Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1602020 03/12/19 08:56 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
With Peppers headed to NY, we seem to have a spot to fill.

What players do you guys like?

Adderly is the name that comes to mind, but not sure he makes it to our first pick now (it being mid-2nd).

Haven't dug very deep into this safety class yet.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
We still have $40-50 Mil go get EARL THOMAS!!!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Hmm I was always looking for a backup FS for Randall (Since at the time we had two SS with peppers and kindred) I have not looked at much of any of the SS prospects...Hopefully we address it in FA.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Earl is a FS, ditto with Randall

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

With pass happy offenses some defenses are moving towards hybrid safeties (KC for example). Maybe Wilks will do the same.

Legend
Legend
I have always liked Kindred.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: clwb419

With pass happy offenses some defenses are moving towards hybrid safeties (KC for example). Maybe Wilks will do the same.

True, I know Wilks played Budda out at CB at times...And moved Patrick Peterson around some (to his displeasure) Maybe we are looking at Tre Boston out of Zona

I just wouldn't waste Earl Thomas in a different role than his norm center field spot...Would love him if we kept Peppers and traded Randall...Just don't see him coming here to play a split box role...but who knows...Love his speed and talent

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
As long as Wilks doesn't play Kindred over top as a CB, he got taken to lunch all day in that role last year....He's better when he's a typical SS, but def. going to need some competition there.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Pastor, you may be right hahahaha

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Working on a 3 year deal with Earl Thomas according to several twitter reports. Still a rumor.

The extra benefit is this would buy us some leverage in case Randall can't be re-signed next offseason.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Working on a 3 year deal with Earl Thomas according to several twitter reports. Still a rumor.

The extra benefit is this would buy us some leverage in case Randall can't be re-signed next offseason.

Agreed..And Thomas has such natural instincts, will, and pure speed...I hope this deal becomes concrete!

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

A SS is about the easiest position in the NFL to replace. There are a ton of in-the-box safeties. Guys like TJ Ward, Landon Collins, Peppers, etc are a dime a dozen. We can find a guy like that easily.

What's interesting are the reports of us inquiring about Early Thomas. That changes everything!

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/12/19 11:10 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
With Peppers headed to NY, we seem to have a spot to fill.

What players do you guys like?

Even with Peppers in NY, he would have been close enough to the LOS to play safety for the Browns under Gregg Williams.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C

True, I know Wilks played Budda out at CB at times...And moved Patrick Peterson around some (to his displeasure) Maybe we are looking at Tre Boston out of Zona

I just wouldn't waste Earl Thomas in a different role than his norm center field spot...Would love him if we kept Peppers and traded Randall...Just don't see him coming here to play a split box role...but who knows...Love his speed and talent

Tre Boston makes a ton of sense.

Earl Thomas makes sense because of Damarious Randall's versatility, but it's not a perfect fit. In the end you sign the talented player if you can though.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Re: ...So...Safeties

Yeah, we'll get a lot of them with the D-Line we're putting together.

Legend
Legend
Well, with the events of Tuesday, I guess Safety becomes a priority. Dline seems ready, Slight concern over who takes Zietlers spot but we have folks to look at.

So that leaves Linebackers and Safeties and maybe another DB to concern outselves with in the draft..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

There are only a handful of us who supported Kindred. Last offseason, I was very adamant that fans shouldn't just assume that Peppers will start just because he was drafted high. Kindred could compete with Peppers no problem.

Now that Peppers is gone, I'd like to think that Kindred starts, but Dorsey will likely bring in his own guy. I expect to draft a Safety, or if not sign one in free agency.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The FA Market is full of good to great Safeties. I'm pretty sure we will dip into the bucket for one or possibly more.

I still think we need depth at OL.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
FA Boston makes a lot of sense.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

We may or may not get another safety. I think in the box safeties like Peppers are a dime a dozen. They are easy to replace. Getting a FS is the hard part.

I also think that Kindred and Peppers are very similar players, so there isn't a true need to spend a high pick or make an expensive signing in FA for a SS.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

There are only a handful of us who supported Kindred. Last offseason, I was very adamant that fans shouldn't just assume that Peppers will start just because he was drafted high. Kindred could compete with Peppers no problem.

Now that Peppers is gone, I'd like to think that Kindred starts, but Dorsey will likely bring in his own guy. I expect to draft a Safety, or if not sign one in free agency.

I think I was the first one to bring up Kindred on the boards before we drafted him. I am a fan. But, my biggest like was his toughness. It looks like we should be playing with the lead more and higher scoring overall, so pass coverage becomes much more of a focus.

I'm still glad we have him, but think we'll mainly use him situationally and on special teams.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Upon further consideration, with our improved pass rush, quick passes may be more of a concern than deep throws. The threat of getting crushed across the middle does provide some value. I need to let the idea of Kindred starting percolate. The thought of a healthy Earl Thomas had me a little starry eyed.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Upon further consideration, with our improved pass rush, quick passes may be more of a concern than deep throws. The threat of getting crushed across the middle does provide some value. I need to let the idea of Kindred starting percolate. The thought of a healthy Earl Thomas had me a little starry eyed.

We need to consider fast, rangy LBers that can cover.... oh, wait - we have two** smile

** I still want to find a way to land Devin White

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
FA Boston makes a lot of sense.

I think that we can find a better option for SS. PFF gave Kindred a below average grade.

Around 42 iirc.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
We need to consider fast, rangy LBers that can cover.... oh, wait - we have two** smile

Better start trying to hack his phone and hope you get some weed videos.

All Pro
All Pro
Devin White may be a bit of an "ask" at this point.

Our 2019 2nd and third with or 2020 2nd would net us around Minnesota's pick at 18 this year, though smile

Kidding... time to watch more safety film.

Round 3, pick 80) Germaine Pratt, OLB, NC State (he started college as a safety, does that count?)

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RedBaron

Our 2019 2nd and third with or 2020 2nd would net us around Minnesota's pick at 18 this year, though smile

and if you threw in Duke?

I think that you're now in the 8-14 range, maybe wink

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

All Pro
All Pro
Let's see...

Adderley
Rapp
Abram
Thornhill
Gardner-Johnson...

Welp...of the the tube of You...

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
All Pro
All Pro
lol, Duke AND Ogbah might get us to Miami at 13.

That would be some early 90's Jimmy Johnson level trading, though.

All Pro
All Pro
BTW, anyone know if the Browns are looking for the FS-SS split or a 2-safety set up?

I suppose a 2 safety set up would have made Peppers more expendable as he was the in-the-box strong safety.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

That would be monumental. If we could do that, then we definitely win the offseason. We may lap some teams.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C - I love Adderley out of Delaware but he is definitely a free safety - very similar to Randall actually. Darnell Savage also had a very good combine, don't know much about him.

Last edited by drobs; 03/13/19 05:27 PM.
All Pro
All Pro
Welp, Thornhill and Abram are out. smile

Rapp gets a nod over Adderley for now... On to Gardner-Johnson...

All Pro
All Pro
Soooo...why are Thornhill and Abram commonly rated over Gardner-Johnson again?

CGJ has some crazy athletic movement. I've never seen a college safety man cover this much. Though he is also a bit aggressive.

He destroyed Michigan.

So Far...
D Thompson,
T Rapp
C Gardner-Johnson or N Adderley

Those are 4 guys who should not go outside of the top 50. Man...Thornhill was painful to watch.

Thornhill has some of the stiffest hips I've ever seen and his back-pedal in man is ugly as sin.

Abram apparently only spears people.

I've only watched 3-4 7ish minute game cut ups of them, but still.

Only other guy I can think of in the 1st 2 days is Amani Hooker, so back to it, I suppose.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not necessarily draft related but applicable to the title of the thread

The Browns need a strong safety to replace Jabrill Peppers: 6 options still available
By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com | Posted March 13, 2019 at 12:48 PM | Updated March 13, 2019 at 06:59 PM

Jabrill Peppers is off to New York to play for the Giants. That leaves the Browns searching for his replacement at strong safety. (Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com)

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Browns have a shiny new wide receiver in Odell Beckham Jr. But the trade that brings him to Cleveland leaves a question mark at strong safety.
Who will replace Jabrill Peppers?

Peppers, a 2017 first-round draft pick, was sent to the Giants as part of the Beckham deal. He was a two-year starter for the Browns who also handled most of the punt and kick return duties. (But we’ll just focus on strong safety here.)

The Browns have options in free agency and don't have a pick until the second round of the draft.
WIth that in mind, here are six options for replacing Peppers.

Cardinals defensive back Tre Boston walks off the field after a 2018 game against the Green Bay Packers. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Phelps)

FREE AGENCY

Tre Boston
Boston has spent the majority of his career at free safety, but was used by the Cardinals last season as part of a three-safety scheme. He has eight interceptions over the last two seasons and has had back-to-back seasons with 79 tackles (the same total Peppers had for the Browns last season). He was ranked 24th by PFF last season.

Johnathan Cyprien
Cyprien spent the first four years of his career in Jacksonville before signing a four-year deal with the Titans prior to the 2017 season. He missed last season with a torn ACL, and was informed by the Titans that he will be released soon (the team plans to sign free agent Kenny Vaccaro). Cyprien has had more than 100 tackles in four of his five seasons.

Eric Berry
The longtime Chiefs strong safety has played just three games over the past two seasons. An ACL injury ended his 2017 season, and a heel injury ended last season. This was after becoming the highest-paid safety in the NFL in 2017. But the Chiefs announced Wednesday that they have released Berry, who is 30 years old. Browns GM John Dorsey is obviously very familiar with the five-time Pro Bowler from his time in Kansas City.

Andrew Sendejo
The Vikings decided not to exercise the option on Sendejo’s contract, sending him to free agency after eight seasons in Minnesota. Sendejo was limited to five games last season by a groin injury that landed him on IR. He will turn 32 in September.

ON THE ROSTER

Derrick Kindred
Once upon a time, Kindred was the team’s starting strong safety. Actually, it was just two seasons ago, 2017, when Kindred started 10 games, with Peppers playing behind him – way behind him – at free safety.

But when Damarious Randall arrived last year via trade, Peppers moved to strong safety and Kindred was moved to a backup role. The result was going from 690 defensive snaps in 2017 to 497 last season.

THE DRAFT

Taylor Rapp
The Washington junior might be the top strong safety prospect in the draft. And he’s projected as a second-round pick. That’s good news for the Browns, who no longer have a first-round pick. Rapp is known for his physical play and tackling ability, and was moved between linebacker, strong safety and free safety for the Huskies.

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2...-available.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Tre Boston is extremely physical. He gets some penalties for his viscous hits, but he might be a guy worth looking at if we don't want to stick w/Kindred.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Another option @49 might be ...
AMANI HOOKER Big 10 DB of the year.

[Linked Image]

All Pro
All Pro
Honestly, I wasn't overly impressed with Hooker's tape. He looked like a 4th rounder.

That was a strange afternoon and evening.

But as it stands, I like 4 possible guys (though I don't see a reality where Thompson is there at 49).

So three I guess.

All Pro
All Pro
Then again, I still have faint hopes of Simmons at 49 (what would a 5th get us up to, like 45?)

Oh well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Honestly, I wasn't overly impressed with Hooker's tape. He looked like a 4th rounder.

That was a strange afternoon and evening.

But as it stands, I like 4 possible guys (though I don't see a reality where Thompson is there at 49).

So three I guess.

You only have two SSs' on your list.

Rapp then Hooker.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season 2019 NFL Draft ...So...Safeties

Link Copied to Clipboard