Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I saw someone yesterday posted a video of Andrew Hawkins telling everyone that the Browns, not the Cowboys, are American's team. So are we? When I get into my car to go anywhere for a 5-10 minute drive, I almost always hear the local San Diego sports-talk radio guys talk about the Browns at some point. Just this morning, they ran a poll to see who "won the free agency season", and the Browns won with nearly three quarters of the vote. The one guy even said, "I'm tuning into every Browns game I can this season, they're going to be fun! I wish they were on Hard Knocks again this season."

If you think about it, unless you're a divisional rival, how could you not pull for us? It started with us going 1-31 for two season. That got us the pity vote for a large number of fans and other suffering fan bases. We then drafted a hugely popular college QB in Baker Mayfield. The state of Oklahoma nearly became Browns fans overnight. We then got picked for Hard Knocks, where the rest of the country sort of gained an affinity for the rest of the team and our cast of characters. We turned our season around half-way through and became a plucky underdog that people couldn't help but root for. And now we've had an extremely successful off-season. The bandwagon is loading up.

I do wonder how many Primetime games we'll get. This is a team that people want to watch. I just hope we don't get too many obnoxious Johnny Come'Latelys that couldn't even name a player from the 0-16 season. Any non-Ohioans seeing what I'm seeing? Everywhere I go, people are talking Browns.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The way the last couple of days have gone, it's sure looks like that could be the case.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was in a sports bar in NYC last season. We were having a good day, I forget who we were playing. Out of no where a group of Eagles fans started chanting here we go Brownies here we Go! I had non Browns fans congratulating me after games some on the street as I was walking home. People want us to win. Unless we are playing them wink. Yesterday Bayless says we are must watch football. He hates us, hates Baker, probably hates OBJ.

Joe Thomas #73
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
There's a lot of reason for optimism. The team is pretty loaded, they won some games last year, already added some really good players to the roster and the draft isn't even here yet. It's an exciting time.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I am in Aberdeen, MD temporarily for work reasons, and every channel, every day they are saying “finally the Browns are starting to look good” and “we are so happy for the fans”. I think I am seeing what you’re seeing; the spin has been definitely positive.

E
Legend
Legend
E
there are some Brits that like us too...lol laugh

No actually ever since we did that HBO series and then got Baker in the action we became the darlings of America I think...everybody I know of is rooting for us except for those Steeler fans here in NY!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure I would say we're America's Team. But I will say this.....

Everyone has complained how the media has ragged on the Browns. And that's quite true. The problem is we've deserved every bit of it. We've SUCKED! And when you suck, you'll hear about it.

But now that every indication is we've turned the corner in a very big way, there's one thing people love much more than ragging on an awful team. They love a good underdog story. That rags to riches tale. Everybody roots for the underdog and we're that story now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
In order to be "America's team", you have to have superstar players, who people almost desperately want to watch play.

We have Baker, and Landry, and OBJ, and Chubb, and Myles ..... these are all guys people are drawn to, and want to watch do their thing. We have the superstars, and we have the story. Yeah, we're America's team right now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah, I was just thinking the other day that everyone loved the Cowboys in the 90's because they had the troika of Aikman, Smith and Irving. Well, now we've got our own branched troika of Baker, Chubb/Hunt, and Beckham/Landry.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The Browns are getting a ton of love from the national media right now. It's a lot of fun.

Legend
Legend
The first debate should be, what does "Americas Team" actually mean?

Right now we are the loveable loser turn around story, flavor of the month... most people love the rags to riches story and root for the hero to achieve great success... then once they have the success for a while, people start to hate them, envy them, wish harm on them.. that's how it goes.

Right now we are being swept up in the feel-good tide and a lot of people are happy for us... if we actually achieve the level of success people are talking about, within a couple years those same people will be sick of us and trying to tear us down...

For the record, I think the notion that there really is an "America's Team" is a myth...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

Here is my theory.

We have been the franchise that everybody craped on. Poked fun at. And we obliged going 1-31 over two years.

Everyone loves a "Rocky" story. "Seabiscuit".

Now we rise up with Baker Mayfield. Baker brings that edge. We get Landry another guy with an edge. And now we get Landry's partner OBJ.

We have become must see TV.

I lived in Atlanta a long time. In 1990 the Braves ended up in last place. In 1991 they won the first of 14 straight divisions championships and went to xtra innings of the seventh game of the World Series.

The town went bonkers.

The Browns story is made for Hollywood. "Draft Day".

Now with all that has happened people want to see us. Sure put us back on Hard Knocks.

If we were to win the Super Bowl.

Forget about it. We would be the toast of the NFL.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

WHEN we win the Super Bowl.

Forget about it. We WILL be the toast of the NFL.

Fixed it for you wink

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
one of the announcers has been saying it since week 12 of last season. Can't remember his name. He was pretty much... spot on.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
The Browns are getting a ton of love from the national media right now. It's a lot of fun.

It is, but it's a little concerning. Can't let it go to our heads. Still need to stay hungry.

No reason not to enjoy it for a bit, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Walked by a monitor at the gym and ESPN is showing "Baker Mayfield's top throws". I love all the national attention, but can we please revoke ESPN's team credentials after all of their crapping on us for so many years?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most fans jump on the bandwagon kinda late. When we start putting 50 points a game on the board, then we'll suddenly be America's team.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Legend
Legend
Even if we went 19-0 we wouldn't be "America's team". If the Patriots haven't taken control of that nickname after winning all those Super Bowls, we won't be after one awesome single season run.

Now, if the term is really saying every city will be rooting for us 2nd behind their own team, I can maybe see that, but that will only last until we beat a few of them and they won't like us dancing around in the endzone.

We're a nice offseason story, but we're still "Cleveland" to most of them. Heck, how many non-Cleveland fans were rooting for the Cavaliers after 2016? Maybe a few were on our side because they were sick of the Warriors, but they were also sick of us dominating the East too.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Most fans jump on the bandwagon kinda late. When we start putting 50 points a game on the board, then we'll suddenly be America's team.

I don't know that we are going to put up 50 points very often....probably none, but we will get a few crappy night games that aren't on Sunday.

I don't like Thursday and Monday night games.

Sunday is the NFL gameday. I like games on Sunday. To me, waking up on Sunday is gameday.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hate Thursday Night games because they usually suck and Most Monday Night games because I usually have to watch them on ESPN, but a Browns Monday Night game I can watch local. brownie

Legend
Legend
we're going to be a MAJOR talking point all year ... let's hope we can stay above water and keep swimming with the wave

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Dave

I LOVE IT.

Here We Go, Brown's, Here We Go!!!!!

I can't wait to hear from Kosar's. He's gotta be STOKED.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I was out yesterday with my Browns hat on. A worker at Chick-fil-A asked if he should jump on the bandwagon. That has never happened to me before. This is going to be weird.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

This has all the feel of loading up an OU-type offense, with Baker at the controls of a high powered machine that's capable of "hanging half a hundred" any given game.

"America's Team" started with the Cowboy's "Dandy" Don Meredith, "Cowboy" Walt Garrison, and "Bullet" Bob Hayes. Roger Staubach enhanced the term with his Naval Academy roots. But when Jerry Jones booted Tom Landry it was not such a romantic notion anymore...despite Aikman, Irving, and Smith.

The nation IS starved for ITS team to rise...again. Go Browns!

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 03/14/19 07:03 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave

He didn't once mention Kareem Hunt.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Lots of love until the comeback story gets a little old and worn out. then you're just another schmuck on the schedule. I promise you, If we win a lot this season and get into the playoffs, everyone will love the story for this season. The second the season is over, we might as well be the Paducah Pirates to any other fan base. I mean, how much are you rooting for those scrappy underdog Packers after their years of futility from the 70's thru the early 90's?

The big markets will always have silly titles like "America's Team". Never seemed to matter much to anyone but Cowboys fans.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
Lots of love until the comeback story gets a little old and worn out. then you're just another schmuck on the schedule. I promise you, If we win a lot this season and get into the playoffs, everyone will love the story for this season. The second the season is over, we might as well be the Paducah Pirates to any other fan base. I mean, how much are you rooting for those scrappy underdog Packers after their years of futility from the 70's thru the early 90's?

The big markets will always have silly titles like "America's Team". Never seemed to matter much to anyone but Cowboys fans.

Don't Pee-Pee in our Cheerios.

CAP. Give this Dawg a Cocktail.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Walked by a monitor at the gym and ESPN is showing "Baker Mayfield's top throws". I love all the national attention, but can we please revoke ESPN's team credentials after all of their crapping on us for so many years?

Why? The Browns sucked and deserved the negative press. Dorey has changed all of that and the media recognizes that fact.

I think it is crazy to not be excited about the praise due to all grudges that were deserved.

This is fun. Let's enjoy it!

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Loved my Yanks beating those Braves teams in the WS.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
In the Metro Detroit area they are comparing the Browns and Lions since both had 0-16 seasons. Lions fans and talk radio sports hosts are mad and envious about what the Browns are doing.

They are saying the Browns have done more to build a championship team in 2 yrs. than the Lions have done in 10. They are mad that the Browns are now a legit SB contender while their team remains a laughingstock.

Many want to join the Metro Detroit Browns Backers fan club.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The Detroit fans are right. The Browns have done more in two years than the Lions have done in 10.

Hell, they've done more in two years than the rest of the decision makers have done since the rebirth of the Browns.

All Hail, John Dorsey!!!

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Some locals here in Cincy asked me if I was going to go to the Superbowl..
I told them a Home Playoff Game was the first thing on my list!

Legend
Legend

Your lucky you are far away.

Legend
Legend

You go Jim Rome.

Please Jim call in to the puke Colon Coward.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No Virginia, the Browns are not Americas team, but that does not mean that fans of other teams will not be cheering for the Browns.

America team is not geographically limited, it is easy now, more difficult than in the era before the internet.

Dallas became America's team, partially because of scheduling and the fact that they were one of the few NFC teams that played at 4 pm. Most of the AFC teams, San Diego, Oakland, Denver, and Kansas City split the geography and battled it out on NBC. On CBS you had the Cowboys and the NFC East... San Francisco and the Rams were not relevant and for the most part too far away to pay attention too.

And they were entertaining as all to watch.

There is Browns Battlement Syndrome as we call it, so bad for so long, that other teams fans cannot help but hope for a changing of the guard. For Gods sake, how many friggin rings does Brady and Bellicheck need... Yuck.....

I have received 4 unsolicited best wishes for the latest move. While other fans will remain loyal, they are watching the Browns as well and hoping them well...

It's been a long time, you deserve a few wins is the sentiment.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess

Don't Pee-Pee in our Cheerios.

CAP. Give this Dawg a Cocktail.

You got it, stop on by. We’re always open, and it’s always Happy Hour.

For Steeler fans we actually do pee-pee in some Cheerios.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just came back from Starbucks with a buddy, and we were talking football. One of the baristas was closing up the place and overheard us and asked us who our teams were. My buddy is like, "I like the Jets, he's a Browns guy", and she immediately perked up and was like, "Oh the Browns! They're going to the Super Bowl this year, I'm rooting for them now!"

V
Legend
Legend
V
Last week, my daughter and I attended a concert in Charleston, SC and spent the day there because it's such a cool city. We were having drinks at a local pub and met a couple from Cincinnati. The conversation morphed into football and we were discussing how bad the Browns have been in the past and how loyal their fans are. They both agreed the team's fortunes had changed and that we were the team to beat in the division. This happened before the trade and the FA signings.

The Brown's buzz is alive.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Are we, dare I say it, American's (new) Team?

Link Copied to Clipboard