Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1602850 03/13/19 07:45 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Go for it and keep the stupid arguments out of good threads.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But he's not on this team...He's gone..why do you want to keep bringing this up ?

C
Legend
Legend
C
What we have built could not have been done without Sashi Brown’s contributions. We are indebted to him forever.

I will now never enter this thread again.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why?

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Sashi didn't do it alone. We can't forget the suckitude of one Hugh Jackson and it's major contribution to the situation in which we now find ourselves.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Sashi didn't do it alone. We can't forget the suckitude of one Hugh Jackson and it's major contribution to the situation in which we now find ourselves.

Great thread.....LOL

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He did his job. He's an excellent F'up.
That's not a insult either. I believe he got paid well and did a good job to take this club to the brink...of ruin.

A truly thankless job...until now.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Man, you went there?

Lol!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
E
Legend
Legend
E
It was a perfect storm of many things combining followed by one of the greatest football minds the world has ever known,...joining our team.

Even today, people still doubt us.
"They look good on paper, but winning is a different story"

This fall we will erase all doubt.

And we will be the most fun team to watch EVER.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like the idea behind this thread. But I doubt it will work.
If we can keep ALL the Sashi talk her this will be a great thread. Unfortunately, I don't believe that posters can control themselves and not talk about Sashi in the other threads.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
L
Legend
Legend
L
We weren't privy to all that went on inside the HQ in Berea and we don't know how collaborative the decisions were.

Obviously Sashi wasn't a football guy. He went full-blown, all-out rebuild.

I don't think he believed the Browns would lose so tremendously, as in 1-31.

I think someone effed up the Schwartz situation, I believe the Kizer/Kessler/Hogan experiment was a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't care now, though. He's gone, Dorsey is here and he's kicking ass.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I don't care now, though. He's gone, Dorsey is here and he's kicking ass.

And that's where the arguments start Lamp...Some say because Sashi set it up to make it happen that way..

Even Sports announcers discuss and have different opinions on this... I don't understand why some people take offense to discussing what happens from individuals to led up to someone else having success.

Who cares if the team is winning and having success..shouldn't that be the only thing that matters ?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
What we have built could not have been done without Sashi Brown’s contributions. We are indebted to him forever.

I will now never enter this thread again.

+1

U
Rookie
Rookie
U
Well I guess if it wasn't for Sashi drafting Peppers then we couldn't trade for OBJ! Although I still wanted Hooker. No talent eyed POS flamingmad

Legend
Legend
I doubt us... it's battered Browns syndrom... even last year I expected us to lose every game.....I'm ready for us to become a winning franchise...

<><

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: UrbanaDawg
Well I guess if it wasn't for Sashi drafting Peppers then we couldn't trade for OBJ! Although I still wanted Hooker. No talent eyed POS flamingmad

You do realize if no Peppers, no Ward either, right?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's hard to evaluate what Sashi put together because he was saddled with the worst coach of all time. You could have one of the best personnel guys and his players aren't going to look very good with Clueless Hue running the show. That actually happened btw.

Dorsey figured this out after 8 games.. heck, he probably figured it out after about 8 hours, but it took 8 games for a proper opportunity to arise. Then two weeks later, it's like we had a brand new team. Night and day difference.

About Sashi, he wasn't really qualified for his job, but that was more on Haslam than Sashi. That said, he did understand a lot of things, various inefficiencies in the league like how much future picks are discounted (a second in this draft is worth a first in the next one.. saywhat). Remember that Denzel Ward and Nick Chubb were once future picks, acquired by Sashi.

I like how he flubbed the McCarron deal.. probably would have cost us Chubb (from the pick) and perhaps Mayfield too. He saw that short-sighted, panicked disaster of a trade for what it was and got the Browns train back on track. Thank you Sashi.

It wasn't all good. The team often lacked toughness and grit, and it wasn't the most talented bunch. There was a lot of uninspired football.. how much you want to put that on player acquisition and how much is on the coaching is up for debate, like a lot of this stuff.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He blowed it up! He blowed it up good!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sashi'd probably make a better owner than GM. It's kind of what he was, without actually having the power. I really wonder how it worked. Who was our actual talent evaluator? Even if you look at Berry in that "GM" role, we still had the least experienced guy in the league. So, we had the least experienced GM (cap-focus) taking reports from the least experienced "head scout" and we're talking about the Super Bowl a couple short years later. It's kind of crazy.

I think Sashi gets undue flack. He can also get undue praise. I tend to have more sympathy for the latter due to the situation Sashi was in.

I feel like he helped to improve our systems and structure. Yes, his picks were often terrible, but what do you expect from him? He'd never been a scout. He was working off reports from people who were supposedly good at doing that scouting. Most are gone now. Hue didn't seem to really know what he wanted, or at least how to attach what he wanted to reality and what was possible. The players that ended up being picked didn't work, but from a cap perspective (which he was actually trained in) the moves made sense and left us the future flexibility to be in the position we are now.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
People keep judging Sashi as a GM. I've said it before, he wasn't the GM. The GM position was vacant while he was the VP of Football Operations. He did the tasks normally handled by a GM. He understood that no worthwhile GM candidate would want the cluster&^*k that was the Browns GM position in 2016. His goal was to make the position desirable by building up the draft and salary cap capital. Part of that was letting popular players leave for the the comp picks. As for managing personnel, he did the best he could, which wasn't very good at all. He added some good pieces, but mostly he missed. But again, performing the tasks of the GM while there wasn't one was secondary to building up the position to attract someone like Dorsey.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
So he was the man in charge of a rudderless ship that had no captain. Mmmmm, hmmmmm....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So he was the man in charge of a rudderless ship that had no captain. Mmmmm, hmmmmm....
Rudderless while he installed a new rudder, yes.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
He may have uninstalled the rudder that was here when he got here. That's how you create a rudderless ship. But he didn't "install" anything. So far the vast majority of everything he installed is already gone.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There, by correcting me you have illustrated my point. He took the least attractive GM job in the NFL and turned it into the most attractive in 2 years, a blank canvas with all the tools needed to rebuild. Do you think that was an accidental consequence of his ineptitude? or is there a possibility it was his objective all along.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't really know cutting players and trading down in drafts was a huge skill set. But to hear it told, I guess it is. Kind of like drafting Kizer huh?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Again, you are focusing on Sashi as GM. I freely admit he did a terrible job at acquiring talent. But I don't believe that was his main goal. His goal, in my opinion, was to attract the kind of GM that could do the job right, and that is exactly what happened. And again, there is no way in heck that Dorsey (had he been available) would have taken the job in 2016.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
He may have uninstalled the rudder that was here when he got here. That's how you create a rudderless ship. But he didn't "install" anything. So far the vast majority of everything he installed is already gone.

In this hypothetical, Sashi took the rudder off that had been repaired 25 times and needed replaced for years. He finally pulled it out of service to be fully replaced.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Demolition takes far less skill than construction.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B

Except all the picks we have been using last year and to be used this year, but you and a few others can't see to see that.

Not my fault.

Carry on, I am out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
You do realize that when you lose all the time and trade down all the time that will happen, right? That when you keep punting the responsibility down the road, drafting a QB like Kizer and generally mucking things up, it's addition by subtraction more than rocket science.

Not only has Dorsey had to do well in the draft, he's honing in on replacing 40 players that were on the 53 man roster when he took over a short time ago. Do you even understand how hard you have to work at being that bad?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Demolition takes far less skill than construction.
Agreed. I'm giving the credit of construction to Dorsey, 100%. But I'm giving credit to Sashi for demolishing in a way that made Dorsey say, "That's the job I want."

How many times in the last 20 years have the Browns done a half-bassed job of rebuilding, trying to piece together mis-matched parts? What Sashi did was complete the unskilled portion of the tear down so the Dorsey could do the skilled portion of the rebuild. He provided Dorsey with a blank canvas and all the tools he needed to build his masterpiece. Dorsey gets the credit for the masterpiece.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
You de realize that by shipping your better players down the road you gain cap space, right?

And that by trading down in the draft you acquire picks, right?

And that by drafting a QB like Kizer you're going to lose even more games and have more high draft picks, right? And when RG3 and Cody Kessler is your QB room you basically pooped the bed, right?

I mean surely people can't see all of that as some grand master plan can they?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know you're saying all that cynically, but that's absolutely right. Oh, and shipping the better players down the road also netted compensatory picks.

They didn't set out to draft Kizer. But in the middle of the 2nd round, he was still there, so they took a shot. I'm not convinced doing so was wrong. Throwing him into the fire without letting him learn and grow first was absolutely wrong.

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 03/14/19 02:34 PM.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well he's been doing so well since.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It all comes down to 1 thing; the job of GM of the Cleveland Browns went from the least attractive in the NFL in 2016, to the most attractive in 2018. That's no simple thing. Did that happen by accident? or by design?

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, Sashi was setting the ground work for his firing.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You're right, that wasn't part of the plan. But that was likely Haslam's impatience. They were already searching for a GM at that time.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
So who do you think was here that had the ability to build the Browns? You see impatience and I see need. NOBODY that was hre had the ability to build an NFL team. Dorsey had already proven he knew how in Kansas City.

Haslam could see the dysfunction those at the top had trying to build an actual NFL roster. Dorsey saw it too and stated as much when he got here.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is arguably the most entertaining argument I've ever seen...

On one side we have... Sashi was trying to be good but was so bad at it that he caused us to fall so far that the person who took over after him was actually in a good position..

On the other side we have... Sashi was trying to be bad and was so good at it that... [the rest is the same]

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
So who do you think was here that had the ability to build the Browns? You see impatience and I see need. NOBODY that was hre had the ability to build an NFL team. Dorsey had already proven he knew how in Kansas City.

Haslam could see the dysfunction those at the top had trying to build an actual NFL roster. Dorsey saw it too and stated as much when he got here.

I'd argue that if the whole trade debacle with McCarron never happened, then Sashi might just still be employed here. He was never meant to be the guy to build the Browns up. As people have endlessly pointed out to you, he was here to scrap the roster down, and essentially set the team up to tank for several seasons to amass draft capital and cap space for years down the road. You might think that's "easy", but it's a path that few GMs are willing to take. When we had reached rock bottom, the McCarron thing happened, Hue got into Haslam's ear about it, and Haslam got impatient and fired Sashi. Dorsey was in the wings anyway, as we basically hired him the same day. But the main reason that Dorsey took the job was because the cap room and draft picks were already there to make it work. No way does Dorsey take this job in 2016.

And in no way is that a slight to Dorsey. What he's done since has been amazing.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Sashi Brown: Discuss Here

Link Copied to Clipboard