Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
So Sashi was fired because a crappy coach conned a naive owner into firing a guy doing a good job?

Sometimes I don't think you guys even hear yourselves.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
On the other side we have... Sashi was trying to be bad and was so good at it that... [the rest is the same]

Which is the much more believable option. All his moves, like not signing older vets to long term deals and punting draft picks down the road to amass more future draft picks were meant to open up options in the future.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So Sashi was fired because a crappy coach conned a naive owner into firing a guy doing a good job?

Which part of that doesn't sound believable? We've already established the crappy coach and naive owner parts.

P
Legend
Legend
P
How many teams sign older veterans to long term deals? Usually they cap those kind of signings to around 28 years old.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Which older vets did we sign where we were locked into huge amounts of cap space that we couldn't get out from under? Most of the contracts were structured in a way that we could release a guy and not have a ton of dead-money against our cap. That's why Dorsey has the kind of cap room he does today, and doesn't have to worry about any bloated albatross contracts taking up space on the roster.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That was my point. NFL teams don't do that. They don't sign older vets to long term, guaranteed contracts. That's not some great plan. That's common business practice in the NFL.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sometimes I don't think you guys even hear yourselves.

...he may have been a crappy coach, but he was a good con.

We didn't need to tear down any more. Time to use the draft capital that had been amassed. Clearly not Sashi's strong point.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
What are you talking about? NFL teams get into bad contracts all the time: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804231-the-worst-contract-on-every-nfl-roster

Heck, we got a free 2nd round pick by basically absorbing a Texans bad contract into our cap space..

Legend
Legend
Shut some critics up. Sashi helped.

Dorsey.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What Sashi did is the very definition of 'outside the box.' He did the things that a real GM would never do, because it's contrary to team building and would be professional suicide. But building isn't what Sashi was doing. He was dismantling a bad team and preparing it to be rebuilt. I could list the ways he did that, but you already have. My point remains that, while you see those moves as the hubris of a Harvard know-it-all who thought he could do better than a real football guy, I see it as him doing the nasty work himself, clearing the path for a real GM to do the rebuilding. My evidence is the 2 year conversion from worst GM job to best.

You have mentioned the bad QBs. Sashi passed several opportunities to draft a 'franchise QB.' That allowed Dorsey to come in and draft his QB, and now he's building a team around him with pieces of his choice, not left overs from a previous GM's build.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
What are you talking about? NFL teams get into bad contracts all the time: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804231-the-worst-contract-on-every-nfl-roster

Heck, we got a free 2nd round pick by basically absorbing a Texans bad contract into our cap space..

And it turned in to Nick Chubb. Worked out well for us.

U
Rookie
Rookie
U
Originally Posted By: cle23
Originally Posted By: UrbanaDawg
Well I guess if it wasn't for Sashi drafting Peppers then we couldn't trade for OBJ! Although I still wanted Hooker. No talent eyed POS flamingmad

You do realize if no Peppers, no Ward either, right?

NO. How so? Help me understand?

Legend
Legend
How many teams sign older veterans to long term deals? Usually they cap those kind of signings to around 28 years old.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26266177/giants-add-wr-tate-4-year-375m-deal

B
Legend
Legend
B
You do realize that when you lose all the time and trade down all the time that will happen, right? That when you keep punting the responsibility down the road, drafting a QB like Kizer and generally mucking things up, it's addition by subtraction more than rocket science.

Not only has Dorsey had to do well in the draft, he's honing in on replacing 40 players that were on the 53 man roster when he took over a short time ago. Do you even understand how hard you have to work at being that bad?

Again, you and a few others don't get it.

As I have said before, I am glad Dorsey is here for the rebuild.

I am glad we went through the tear down. Depo even said many can't stomach that.

My only beef is you and a few others act like Depo is some sort of simpleton who doesn't have a view of value.

I don't give a damn about Sashi. I hardly talk about the guy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Well I guess if it wasn't for Sashi drafting Peppers then we couldn't trade for OBJ! Although I still wanted Hooker. No talent eyed POS flamingmad

You do realize if no Peppers, no Ward either, right?

NO. How so? Help me understand?

The trade down with Houston netted us their 1st round pick last year, the 4th overall, which we took Ward with. If we take Hooker at 12, we don't get that pick. Instead, we got Peppers and Ward. It doesn't always work out that way, but that trade was worth it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll bet that nobody expected this thread to go a full page, much less more than one...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who?

Sashi had one job.. Find a QB. He failed.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Here's what I say to Hue, Sashi, and ultimately Jimmy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Who?

Sashi had one job.. Find a QB. He failed.

Are you sure that was his job? According to some he was supposed to screw it up on purpose! I mean if we didn't lose all the time we wouldn't have been able to dump players and draft like crap. And I mean if you actually draft good players you don't lose all the time, right?

Or was it Depo that drafted like crap?

I'm not sure they can make up their minds. wink

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've presented my case. I'm not going to continue going over the same things trying to convince you. As long as you continue to view Sashi as a GM, and to refuse to think 'outside the box' of conventional FB wisdom, you will never see that Sashi wasn't a screw up, he succeeded in what he was trying to do, attract the best available GM candidate.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, that was his job......

rofl

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His job was to tear down a team that had a lot of high priced talent that wasn't producing anything in the win column.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's one thing I've totally agreed with all along. He certainly knew how to tear down a team.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
That's one thing I've totally agreed with all along. He certainly knew how to tear down a team.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I don't know if anyone listens to the Thomahawk Show with Andrew Hawkins and Joe Thomas but they did a show last Friday after the free agency and trades. At one point they got to talking about Sashi Brown. Both agreed that his strategy was the best strategy for the team and their future but that it was also extremely hard for anybody on the team to go through. Joe commented that he had been through the other rebuilds but that he thought Brown's strategy was best, but especially hard on the veterans. So it was hard for players, but in the best interest of the team in the long run.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sashi was always going to be the sacrificial lamb for a designed and executed TANK job. The reason we traded out of high picks was because they weren’t high enough. We needed superstars and we were tanking until we got them. Drafting guys like Corey Coleman and Jabrill Pepper only proved this point further…..mid round picks have a high bust rate.

I genuinely believe that Hue was IN on the tank all along but when he couldn’t control his own coaching staff they knew he was out.

Sashi didn’t “do” much other than let the analytics guys tank and take the blame for it. I’m sure he was well compensated and will go back to being a lawyer with some diversity on his resume. This was a purposeful tank and it worked perfectly.

Legend
Legend
Love Sashi. They should bring him back.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Will never say anything bad about Sashi, he set us up to be the best team in the NFL for at least the next 10 years thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P

Rocket science at its finest.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Love Sashi. They should bring him back.

fingerscrossed

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
... in the best interest of the team in the long run.

And this is where (IMO) Sashi excelled - getting us in the direction for long term success. Unfortunately, team ownership couldn't withstand the stress until Sashi's plan began to bear fruit...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know if anyone listens to the Thomahawk Show with Andrew Hawkins and Joe Thomas but they did a show last Friday after the free agency and trades. At one point they got to talking about Sashi Brown. Both agreed that his strategy was the best strategy for the team and their future but that it was also extremely hard for anybody on the team to go through. Joe commented that he had been through the other rebuilds but that he thought Brown's strategy was best, but especially hard on the veterans. So it was hard for players, but in the best interest of the team in the long run.
They basically said the same thing I've been saying, they even used the same 'blank canvas' metaphor. Thanks cle23.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, thank God Haslam knew going into this process that Dorsey would be sitting there unemployed two years later. He must have consulted a psychic.

I mean we all know that's the easy part. That's why everyone who has been here has blown top draft picks and we didn't have a QB for almost 20 years.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. And Dorsey being available at just the right time was luck. Not a part of some grand plan.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Of course Haslam couldn't know who was going to be available 2 years in, but what was obvious was that nobody with any reputation for ability was going to take the job. We were going to get 1) a failed GM looking for another chance, or 2) someone untested and unproven who wasn't hired by better club. There was no way in H E double hockey sticks that someone with the abilities or credentials of Dorsey would ever consider the job. But 2 years later the job sold itself, because Sashi made the job attractive. Dorsey just happened to be available, and yes Haslam and the Browns were lucky that he was.

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 03/21/19 11:57 AM. Reason: wording

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
I just wonder if you can name three GM's in all of football who could rebuild this team in less than two years the way Dorsey has? Even with the assets at hand.

Sure there's 32 GM's in the NFL and some of them are decent. But how many have actually taken a team from rags to riches in less than two years? I certainly can't think of any.

Timing is everything and the timing had more to do with our turnaround than any plan.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I completely agree with most everything you just said. My point remains that Dorsey would never have considered the job had Sashi not turned the job from the least attractive GM job in the NFL to the most attractive job. And that it was not accidental, it was what Sashi was trying to do.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
And I'll remain with my point that it was 100% luck that Dorsey just so happened to be available at the perfect time. And that there isn't a chance in hell any other GM in the NFL could have pulled off what Dorsey has.

I would also like to point out something else. People said that Hue should have won some games in 2017. Many said at least a hand full of games. That would have put the Giants and Colts ahead of us in the 2018 draft. We both know the Colts would not have drafted a QB. But would the Giants have drafted Mayfield instead of Barkley if he was still on the board?

Should we be thanking Hue for Mayfield because Hue sucked so bad? I mean if we're going to hand out a participation trophy to Sashi for sucking so bad and reaching for reasons to reward his sucktitude, shouldn't we do the same for Hue?

wink

Food for thought.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And I'll remain with my point that it was 100% luck that Dorsey just so happened to be available at the perfect time. And that there isn't a chance in hell any other GM in the NFL could have pulled off what Dorsey has.
We are in complete agreement on this, and have been all along.

Where we disagree, and apparently will never agree, is in what Sashi was trying to do.

I believe he was trying to build the GM job. He did that by accumulating picks and salary cap space, by clearing the roster of burdensome contracts, and by avoiding drafting centerpiece players who might not fit with a new GM's plan. Most of these moves were counter to what a GM would have done. He turned the Browns GM job into a blank canvas with all the tools necessary for a GM to build his team. I don't believe he could have accomplished this by accident, he had to actively try.

That the team played so badly as to get the #1 pick was in part luck (bad or good depending on your point of view), but also could be because Hue would have had to be at least aware of the plan, if not actively participating by trying to lose games, without being obvious or losing the team. That could be why he started last season as HC in spite of all the losing.

Everything worked out perfectly; the GM job was the best available when the best possible candidate came along. Part luck, but there is an old saying, luck favors the prepared.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
So no credit for Hue sucking so bad we were able to draft Mayfield at #1? wink

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Sashi Brown: Discuss Here

Link Copied to Clipboard