Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
President Donald Trump is escalating his pressure on General Motors to reopen an Ohio manufacturing plant that recently closed and put 1,700 people out of work.

Trump tweeted Monday that GM should: "Close a plant in China or Mexico, where you invested so heavily pre-Trump," and "Bring jobs home!"

Trump travels to politically important Ohio this week. Over the weekend, Trump tweeted that officials should start talks with the United Auto Workers immediately so that the Lordstown plant could be reopened or sold.

General Motors said in a statement Sunday that the future of plants scheduled to be closed "will be resolved between GM and the UAW." The automaker said that they had "opportunities available for virtually all impacted employees."

Trump’s arm-twisting came in a series of separate tweets on Saturday and Sunday . He capped his weekend rant against the GM with a tweet disclosing that he had vented his frustrations during a conversation with the company’s CEO, Mary Barra.

“I am not happy that it is closed when everything else in our Country is BOOMING,” Trump wrote. “I asked her to sell it or do something quickly. She blamed the UAW Union — I don’t care, I just want it open!”

The union is the United Automobile Workers, which represents the employees who lost their jobs in the Lordstown closure. Trump had previously told a UAW leader, David Green, to “get his act together and produce” for the Lordstown workers. Green didn’t respond to a request for comment Sunday.

General Motors said in a statement released Sunday evening that the future of plants scheduled to be closed “will be resolved between GM and the UAW.” The automaker also said that it has “opportunities available for virtually all impacted employees” at plants that are to be shuttered.

“We remain open to talking with all the affected stakeholders, but our main focus remains on our employees and offering them jobs in our plants where we have growth opportunities,” the company said.

Even as Trump said he talked to Barra, he was calling on GM to reopen its Lordstown plant or find another owner, while insisting that the Detroit automaker “must act quickly.”

He also blasted GM for letting down the U.S. and asserted “much better” automakers are coming to the country.

Trump praised Toyota for its investments in the U.S. in an apparent attempt to depict GM as being less committed to its home country than the Japan automaker.

The Lordstown closure has become a hot-button issue in an area of Ohio that is expected to be critical for Trump if he seeks re-election as promised in 2020.

Trump prevailed in Ohio in the 2016 election, a win that helped him win enough electoral votes to become president despite losing the popular vote to Hillary Clinton.

That may be one reason why Trump joined a coalition of Ohio lawmakers in efforts to get the Lordstown plant running again. The tweets marked some of his most pointed criticism of GM so far.

Trump has skewered several other U.S. companies for not doing more to help their country’s economy, but his remarks so far have been more bark than bite.

For instance, he has publicly called upon Apple to shift most of its manufacturing from China to the U.S., but the Silicon Valley company continues to make its iPhones and most other products overseas.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, a Republican, last week expressed doubts GM will reopen its Lordstown plant, but he said the automaker indicated it’s in talks with another company about using the site.

More than 16 million vehicles were made at the Lordstown plant during its 53-year history until GM closed it earlier this month as part of a massive reorganization. The company also intends to close four other North American plants by early next year.

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/trump-general-motors-twitter/2019/03/18/id/907479/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My hope is that the UAW rank and file see through Trumps fakery. I mean he's doing his best to make it easier to decertify unions, Cut SS and Cut Medicare.

Things that retired UAW workers depend on. Like my Mom and Dad, they will use the GM Retiree benefits as a supplemental plan to Medicare.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
can you MAGA hatters teach me how to negotiate with giant corporations over Twitter?

i missed that chapter in the Art of the Deal.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
I wonder how those soybean farmers feel about him today. Dude is a turd for anything to do with working people. Talks out his ass then stabs you in the back.

Tax cuts for the rich, SS and Medicare cuts for the old, poverty program defunding for the poor.

Wants to defund Planned Parenthood, PBS, and NPR. Already cut the endowment for the arts... He wants you dumb and only able to access trump state media.

He just rebranded NAFTA and called it his. Businesses are still leaving and he tries to bully them to stay. Wants the wall and rages against illegal immigrants, yet staffs his businesses with them.

Alienates our oldest allies, sucks up to Putin, Kim, Xi, Erdogan, and Duterte. Will not call white supremacist attacks radical terrorism, yet any muslim is a radical terrorist and needs to stay out. Treats the entire western southern hemisphere from our southern border down like everyone from there (brown people) is a rapist, murderer, cartel, or drug dealing low life.

All of this just scratches the surface, and the Trumpians love this guy... His tweet about McCain over the weekend was horrible. But he can get away with it because the GOP has no spine.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/18/19 04:22 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Big business essentially told him to his face they wouldn’t reinvest. Yet he gave them a massive tax cut... then complains when they still leave. The guy is a moron.

Watch CEOs admit they won’t actually invest more if tax reform passes...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com...ment-tax-reform

[Linked Image]
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-lo...s-idUSKCN1QZ0YT

Far-flung job offers pose tough choices for GM Ohio workers
Nick Carey, Ben Klayman
6 MIN READ

TOLEDO, Ohio (Reuters) - General Motors Co built the final Chevrolet Cruze small car at its Lordstown, Ohio, assembly plant on March 6, despite demands from President Donald Trump, Ohio political leaders and the United Auto Workers union not to close the plant and leave nearly 1,500 workers laid off.

General Motors production worker Dina Mays works on the 10-speed transmission assembly at the General Motors (GM) Powertrain Transmission plant in Toledo, Ohio, U.S. March 6, 2019. REUTERS/Rebecca Cook
Dina Mays, a 14-year veteran of Lordstown Assembly, was not at the plant for its last day. She had already moved on to her new workplace, GM’s Toledo transmission plant, where the automaker builds 10-speed transmissions for popular pickup trucks.

The U.S. auto industry is heading into a new cycle of plant closings and job cuts. Sales in the world’s second-largest vehicle market are projected to fall. Consumers shifting away from traditional sedans such as the Cruze have left GM with more workers assigned to building cars than the market can support.

But GM has the reverse problem with trucks - for now, it cannot build them fast enough. That is helping GM find new jobs for displaced sedan plant workers, and blunt attacks from the UAW and politicians.

The automaker recently announced it will add 1,000 jobs at a plant in Flint, Michigan, to build a new generation of GM’s largest pickups.

A GM spokeswoman said last week that 538 workers from a Detroit plant slated to close in 2020 and nearly 100 from Lordstown have already signed on in Flint to fill those jobs.

That and other job opportunities could cushion the blow for most of the 1,450 workers currently laid off at Lordstown. The Ohio plant is one of five North American GM plants slated to close by January 2020.

GM Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra has said the automaker expects to have 2,700 job openings by early 2020 at other thriving plants, enough to absorb nearly all of those displaced in plants in Maryland, Ohio and Michigan willing or able to uproot for work hundreds of miles away. GM said another 1,200 affected hourly workers are eligible for early retirement.

Based on a plant-by-plant count provided by GM, if every worker displaced or soon to be displaced volunteers for or accepts a new job - and those eligible to retire do so - that would potentially leave up to 500 GM workers jobless, far fewer than the thousands decried by the UAW and Trump.

Ohio is a key state for Trump’s 2020 re-election chances. In July 2017 he vowed in Youngstown, Ohio, near GM’s Lordstown plant, that those auto jobs were “all coming back.”

“Don’t move,” he told residents. “Don’t sell your house.”

On Sunday, Trump tweeted that he had spoken with Barra to demand she “do something quickly” to keep the Lordstown plant running. GM responded, “Our main focus remains on our employees and offering them jobs in our plants where we have growth opportunities. We have opportunities available for virtually all impacted employees.” The company said the ultimate fate of the plant will be decided in contract negotiations with the UAW this fall.

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump
General Motors and the UAW are going to start “talks” in September/October. Why wait, start them now! I want jobs to stay in the U.S.A. and want Lordstown (Ohio), in one of the best economies in our history, opened or sold to a company who will open it up fast! Car companies.....

7:37 AM - Mar 18, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
17.4K people are talking about this

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump
....are all coming back to the U.S. So is everyone else. We now have the best Economy in the World, the envy of all. Get that big, beautiful plant in Ohio open now. Close a plant in China or Mexico, where you invested so heavily pre-Trump, but not in the U.S.A. Bring jobs home!

7:45 AM - Mar 18, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
20.3K people are talking about this
ADVERTISEMENT

NOMADIC LIFESTYLE
Mays and other veteran GM factory workers have been pushed into nomadic lives before. Mays is on her third GM factory in 15 years. In 2005, she moved to Lordstown in northeastern Ohio after being laid off at a GM plant in Baltimore, Maryland.

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it. It’s rough,” Mays said.

Her eldest son is at college and a 12-year-old son remains with relatives near Lordstown. “But I have to be able to support myself and my kids.”

Slideshow (4 Images)
After 25 years with GM, she has five years until retirement, so transferring “was the best decision I could make.”

For those who move, GM offers a $30,000 cash package to offset costs. If the company has jobs for laid-off workers elsewhere and they refuse them, they lose their supplemental pay and are eligible to hire on again only at their “home plant” - in this case, Lordstown.

SCANT OPTIONS
For Joe Stanton, 55, transferring 160 miles (260 km) to Toledo from Lordstown made sense.

With 25 years at GM, he also has five years to go before he can retire. He rents an apartment with Mays just outside Toledo to cut costs. He moved from Pittsburgh to Lordstown in 2006 when his GM plant there closed. He owns two homes, one near Lordstown and one in Pennsylvania.

Stanton misses his adult son in Pittsburgh and girlfriend near Lordstown but said he is lucky not to have small children or sick parents to care for so he could move to Toledo.

If the UAW renegotiates a new product for Lordstown, retooling the plant would take years, Stanton said.

“That’s a gamble I wasn’t willing to take,” he said.

For those left behind, the outlook is bleak.

Tod Porter, chair of Youngstown State University’s economics department, estimated Lordstown’s closure could cost more than 8,000 jobs including at auto suppliers and service providers, in an area still affected by steel mill closures decades ago.

Dave Green, president of UAW Local 1112, which represents workers at Lordstown, said he is fighting for the plant to reopen but added unemployed GM workers have scant options.

“If you don’t want a job flipping burgers for minimum wage, you got to get the hell out of here,” he said.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
My dad retired with 41 years here, my father in law with 35.

My first job in engineering was as a contract engineer at a division of GM-I spent almost 10 years working a couple different positions.

My first big job when i went into construction was helping out when we were helping to build the paint shop at Lordstown.

Our congressman and Senator Brown have been all over social media for months talking about trying to get to talk to Mary Barra, other congress folks and the president to save Lordstown. The UAW Rep has sent a couple letters to Trump-I assume from his tweet about Green he never opened them to read them.

In this area, the GM plant has been in the news or paper almost every day for months.

In the end, I think that there will be another product at this plant-it may or may not be a GM product.
It definitely will be way, way up on the list come bargaining time. And if GM wants to put another product back in there, i think that there will be more concessions from the union and there will be subsidies from the state/government.

Privatize profit and subsidize loss

There almost has to be. Trump was at the airport and said don't sell your house I am going to bring the jobs back and now the place is mothballed in maybe one of the most important areas in the country for his re-election

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Maybe trump should buy it and start making his cheap ties here.... but we all know that’ll never happen.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Time out. hold on, I have a huge problem with GM Lordstown workers here. They have had it good for a hell of a ,ot of years in this area while many folks didn't. I am on their side right now with the shutdown of Lordstown.HOWEVER I am at odds or even war with the idiots who are crying right now about being shut down.

For over 30 years the folks who worked there could give a crap about the folks who sold their product. They looked at as as less than human while they pranced around like they were better than everybody else. I head on a daily basis how they would sit around for 2,3 or 4 hours a day waiting for somebody to come and change a light bulb. How they would nap for 2, 3 or 4 hours a day while they should have been working. Those of us at dealerships had to hear how GM charged to much for their cars while they goofed off half the day and still collected 100,000 per year or it. They went and bout Fords, Hondas, and every other brand of car while they ignored GM products.

They can look in the mirror and see where the problem is. They came into GM dealers and demanded discounts far beyond what they were allowed, Things like WHAT I don't get my discount and FREE bedliners, sunroofs, and 5 years free maintance. Many of them acted like they deserved everything and the dealers were worthless piles of crap.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
This is an opinion piece from the Vindicator yesterday. I posted the whole article-I was more concerned about the top half of the article and the fact-not the opinion piece at the bottom

So I would think that this would need some further investigation. If this turns out to be correct, you are working on an order for fleet sales to basically help keep two shifts running for 5 years and as CEO-you turn down a very large deal

https://www.vindy.com/news/2019/mar/17/did-gm-nix-huge-deal-for-cruzes/

Did GM nix huge deal for Cruzes?

Opinion: By Bertram de Souza | March 17, 2019 at 12:05a.m.

Related Stories
Trump to GM: Reopen Lordstown car plant
Mar. 17, 2019
A highly respected businessman from Cleveland who owns a string of dealerships that sells vehicles from Rolls Royce and Mercedes-Benz models to GMCs and Buicks reportedly offered to buy thousands of Chevrolet Cruzes a year for five years from General Motors. The only proviso: The Cruzes had to be built at the company’s Lordstown plant.

But individuals familiar with the proposal tell this writer that GM CEO Mary Barra was not willing to change the company’s plans to idle the Lordstown plant March 6.

That day, the last Cruze, once the best-selling model in GM’s fleet, rolled off the assembly line. The idling of the plant brought to an end the last shift of 1,500 workers. Not so long ago, the 53-year-old assembly complex ran three shifts with a total of 4,500 workers.

Had GM agreed to the deal from businessman Bernie Moreno, two shifts would have been retained.

Dave Green, president of UAW Local 1112, when contacted by this writer with details of the proposal, acknowledged he had met with Moreno and had watched a PowerPoint presentation.

The highly regarded Clevelander’s goal was to form a company to provide an Uber-style car hire service, but under strict regulations and oversight.

The company would own the cars and have the drivers on staff.

Green was told about the financials, including arrangements with banks and the participation of a major automotive company.

The UAW Local 1112 president and other union officials believed General Motors was presented with a great opportunity to keep the Lordstown complex operating.

It should be noted that Moreno was contacted by The Vindicator and asked about his proposal. He told a reporter that he had signed a nondisclosure agreement and, therefore, could not say anything.

The following email was sent to Daniel Flores, GM Corporate spokesman:

“I’m working on a column for Sunday regarding an offer reportedly made to General Motors by a nationally renowned exotic car dealer from Cleveland to purchase a large number of Chevrolet Cruze sedans built in the Lords-town plant. I am told by two reliable sources that the order for the vehicles would have lasted for five years. I’m sure you aren’t surprised by my interest in the story given the company’s decision to stop production of the Cruze and to “idle” the Lordstown facility.

“Could you shed any light on this?”

Flores called to say he was not familiar with Moreno’s proposal but would inquire with higher-ups in Detroit.

After an hour or so, Flores issued the following statement from the company via email:

“GM leadership took into consideration a variety of market factors when we made the product and manufacturing-related decisions announced last November 26th. The decision to discontinue the Cruze was made in response to market-related declines in customer demand for passenger cars. We don’t believe this segment is viable for us.

“These were very difficult decisions because we know they impact people, families and communities. We’ve been successful with offering job opportunities for Lordstown employees at other U.S. plants that build products in growing market segments.

“The long-term disposition of the Lordstown facility will be determined in the UAW/GM contract negotiations later this year.”

It is noteworthy that GM did not ridicule the inquiry about Moreno, nor did the company tell this writer that it was way too early for him to start drinking.

It may be reading too much into Flores’ statement, but it is revealing that he did not dismiss the inquiry as some conspiracy theory.

It certainly sounds like someone in corporate was aware of the proposal.

This writer also contacted the UAW International in Detroit to find what, if anything, the union intended to do about GM supposedly rejecting a deal that would have kept the Lordstown plant operating.

Brian Rothenberg, head of public relations and former Ohio resident, said the international had not heard about the Moreno offer, but pointed out that UAW International President Gary Jones has said the union is “committed to leaving no stone unturned.”

Read that to mean the Moreno proposal may well be raised when the union and the company begin contract talks this summer.

Meanwhile, here’s a question for President Donald Trump, who has berated GM CEO Barra for idling American plants while expanding those abroad: Why are you avoiding the Mahoning Valley?

The question is prompted by Trump’s absence during the crucial weeks leading up to the March 6 idling of the Lordstown complex.

While his supporters in the Valley are willing to give him a pass and blame everyone else for the end of car production, the fact remains that the president of the United States was nowhere to be found when the autoworkers who voted for him in 2016 walked out of that plant for the last time.

Well, many of them are now free to travel to Lima and Canton on Wednesday to see the man who promised to “Make America Great Again.”

Trump is scheduled to tour the General Dynamics tank manufacturing plant in Lima to tout his huge increase in defense spending, and then is expected to attend a private fundraiser in Canton for his 2020 re-election campaign.

According to Cleveland.com, the Plain Dealer’s online edition, tickets for the fundraiser start at $2,800 for entry to a reception; a photo opportunity with Trump costs $15,000, and dinner costs $50,000 per person or $70,000 per couple.

Will the closing of a major manufacturing plant in the shadow of the country club in Canton – Ok, perhaps not shadow, but driving distance – be a topic of conversation as the well-heeled Trump supporters nibble on tiny canapes?

Get real. The Republican president of the United States does not want to be reminded that the Lordstown plant closed under his watch – after it had been kept open by former Democratic President Barack Obama.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Didn't know anyone still bought cars from GM? Government Motors won't be getting my money anytime soon.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
A
Legend
Legend
A
I could tell stories too......like, the guy I met at the dealership, early, since he worked nights. And how he was drunk, after coming straight from work.

I didn't let him take a test drive.

We talked numbers, and I asked him how he could be drunk after having just left work. Hie reply? "Well, I have a a'heavy lifting' job, so me and another guy are supposed to swap off. 2 hours working, 2 hours in the break room. It's not a hard job, so what we do is clock in, and I'll work 1 night while he sits in the break room, and he'll work the next night while I sit in the break room. He worked last night, so I drank."

That's just 1, of many, stories.

I do believe it has changed since then, though.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
arch...who's fault was it that this POC worker got away with gaming his job requirements that allowed him to get drunk while on the clock?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
I could tell stories too......like, the guy I met at the dealership, early, since he worked nights. And how he was drunk, after coming straight from work.

I didn't let him take a test drive.

We talked numbers, and I asked him how he could be drunk after having just left work. Hie reply? "Well, I have a a'heavy lifting' job, so me and another guy are supposed to swap off. 2 hours working, 2 hours in the break room. It's not a hard job, so what we do is clock in, and I'll work 1 night while he sits in the break room, and he'll work the next night while I sit in the break room. He worked last night, so I drank."

That's just 1, of many, stories.

I do believe it has changed since then, though.

There are lots of similar stories from heavily unionized industries in England from the 70's/80's before Thatcher broke up the Unions .... While our comments might be 100% accurate it doesn't deflect or take anything away from the moronic way Trump talks and acts about manufacturing jobs in the US and how he "negotiates" ...

To Mac's point - whoever else might need to review how and why the system was being abused .... the worker and every co-worker that was aware of the abuse is also on the line and totally at fault also.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
can you MAGA hatters teach me how to negotiate with giant corporations over Twitter?

i missed that chapter in the Art of the Deal.

It's called Bullying.. Or attempted bullying.

Trump isn't actually trying to change things, he's trying to make his base feel like he's trying to change things.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
That's interesting. Hadn't heard that.. Oh well.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
In the second article i posted, it talks about the Cleveland businessman that wanted to buy enough Cruzes from Lordstown only to keep 2 shifts running for 5 years-but supposedly GM leadership said no

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think we need a term for how Trump tries to dictate to businesses how they operate. So far he's done this to Harley Davidson, Amazon, GM, FOX News and I'm sure many others I've missed.

Twitter Diplomacy

There's nothing really diplomatic about it but that's the best I could come up with on the spur of the moment.

It's funny how so many people claim the government should keep its hands off of business due to us living in a free market system, seem to have no problem with Trump trying to dictate to them how to run their businesses.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: mac
arch...who's fault was it that this POC worker got away with gaming his job requirements that allowed him to get drunk while on the clock?

Well, that was discussed a bit as well. His comment was basically "I can't be fired, I'm in the union."

Again, this was a while back. I'm sure it's changed, for the better.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really do think he thought he could bully companies into staying. lol, what a dolt.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I find it much funnier how so many people say the government shouldn't interfere with business until Trump gets on Twitter.

I've always said that people complain about the national debt unless it's being spent by the party that spends it on what they want is in power. It looks like the same holds true for people in interfering in business.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Well, that was discussed a bit as well. His comment was basically "I can't be fired, I'm in the union."

Again, this was a while back. I'm sure it's changed, for the better.

arch...it is the job of management to know where their workforce is stationed and what they are doing. If someone in management walks up to someone and smells booze on that workers breath, it is management's job to find out what is going on and hand out punishment according to the contract language that was ratified by Union and Company representatives.

The example you sited, I've never seen anything like that in any union shop I worked worked at. Never saw a job structured so the individual worked 2 hours then spent 2 hours on break. It sounds like this drunk fella was feeding you a line of BS.

I've worked in Union shops that had good management that got along well with their Union workers and vice versa. I've worked with some very hard working people who gave the company more than a fair days work for a fair days pay.

Arch, I would guess that you have sold more vehicles to hard working people than this individual you described above.

jmho...mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The truth is the unions went too far. Just like employers did which caused unions to be formed in the first place. There's no balance in anything anymore.

The unions are no better or worse than companies who forced unions to be formed in the first place. Acting like either side are the saints and the other side are the sinners is silly.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
You don't need to believe me. That's fine. Many other stories as well.

Again, this was early 2000's. Rampant abuse was going on. And the standard reply was "they can't fire me, I'm union."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

arch...it is the job of management to know where their workforce is stationed and what they are doing. If someone in management walks up to someone and smells booze on that workers breath, it is management's job to find out what is going on and hand out punishment according to the contract language that was ratified by Union and Company representatives.

The example you sited, I've never seen anything like that in any union shop I worked worked at. Never saw a job structured so the individual worked 2 hours then spent 2 hours on break. It sounds like this drunk fella was feeding you a line of BS.

I've worked in Union shops that had good management that got along well with their Union workers and vice versa. I've worked with some very hard working people who gave the company more than a fair days work for a fair days pay.
Not referring directly to Arch but people tend to take the Big Auto Maufacturers and the horror stories from these places(which many of the stories are legit) and tranfer that to ALL unions and umiom jobs. People who have never worked in or been involved in unions hear stories and feel they think they know about working in a union shop.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
j/c

A new article from Politico

Brown: Trump 'finally woke up and acts like he wants to do something' about GM plant closure
By CAITLIN OPRYSKO 03/19/2019 09:42 AM EDT

Sen. Sherrod Brown said Tuesday that President Donald Trump "finally woke up and acts like he wants to do something" regarding the closure of an automotive plant in Ohio, accusing the president of doing little to save the jobs lost by the facility's closure.

The Ohio Democrat, who recently ruled out a run for president in 2020, ripped Trump in an interview on CNN’s “New Day” for failing to heed his warnings about the General Motors plant in Lordstown, Ohio, that began laying off workers in 2016 before shutting down last week, arguing that there’s no way Trump could claim ignorance about the plant being in danger.

“We just finally woke him up. I mean, I've been talking to him about this plant for over a year,” Brown said. “He, I assume, gets briefings about a major auto layoff in a major state. He should know that.”

Brown said that Trump’s defenses for letting the plant close — despite successfully campaigning in the Midwest to revive the region's declining manufacturing sector — are evidence that the president will continue to pass off blame and refuse to accept any responsibility while he keeps railing against the plant’s closure on Twitter.

Trump over the weekend demanded that GM and local union leaders work to reopen the plant, even if that meant selling it. GM last year announced that it would shutter a handful of plants in the U.S. and Canada because of a lack of demand for the Chevrolet Cruze sedans made at the plants.

At the time, the president threatened to withhold government subsidies from GM and implored CEO Mary Barra to reconsider.

“I wish it had come earlier,” Brown said of the president’s support for the plant. He said with all of the attention it’s receiving, Trump “finally woke up and acts like he wants to do something.”

“The president, he attacks everybody,” Brown said when asked about Trump’s attacks on the Democratic auto workers union leader there. “When plant closed initially, when the second shift lay off last summer, the president attacked Democrats for that, even though it's a Republican president, a Republican Congress, a Republican governor. That's what he does because it's never his fault.”

The senator said he told Trump that a provision in the 2017 GOP tax code overhaul amounted to a “50 percent off coupon” for corporations and encouraged them to go overseas. He said when he asked Trump to get rid of the provision, the president seemed receptive.

“I've asked him to do that and he said, ‘That's a good idea, senator, to get rid of that,’ and the next day, he changed his mind. And so we've got to keep the pressure on him,” Brown said.

Brown also accused Trump of lying about his conversations with Barra when he announced that Barra was blaming the layoffs on union workers, noting that GM considered its Lordstown plant among the most efficient in the country.

“The workers are efficient. It's a management issue and it’s a tax policy issue brought to us by the president of the United States who’s betrayed workers throughout the industrial Midwest,” he said.

Brown suggested that the president has attempted to intervene now in order to save face and that he isn’t truly invested in the issue.

“Not especially,” he said when asked if he trusted Trump to handle issues like the Lordstwon plant. “I don't think the president follows it much. His judgment has been so bad. He's only now getting engaged when he thinks he has to. It's not a question of trust, it’s a question of getting him to focus and do the right things.”

"it’s a question of getting him to focus and do the right things.”
-Sherrod Brown

"Relax- Trump got this."
40YEARSWAITING

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
too little, too late.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Time out. hold on, I have a huge problem with GM Lordstown workers here. They have had it good for a hell of a ,ot of years in this area while many folks didn't. I am on their side right now with the shutdown of Lordstown.HOWEVER I am at odds or even war with the idiots who are crying right now about being shut down.

For over 30 years the folks who worked there could give a crap about the folks who sold their product. They looked at as as less than human while they pranced around like they were better than everybody else. I head on a daily basis how they would sit around for 2,3 or 4 hours a day waiting for somebody to come and change a light bulb. How they would nap for 2, 3 or 4 hours a day while they should have been working. Those of us at dealerships had to hear how GM charged to much for their cars while they goofed off half the day and still collected 100,000 per year or it. They went and bout Fords, Hondas, and every other brand of car while they ignored GM products.

They can look in the mirror and see where the problem is. They came into GM dealers and demanded discounts far beyond what they were allowed, Things like WHAT I don't get my discount and FREE bedliners, sunroofs, and 5 years free maintance. Many of them acted like they deserved everything and the dealers were worthless piles of crap.

You will ALWAYS find some that act like children (trump).

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
GM to invest $2.7 billion in Sao Paulo, Brazil factories over five years

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/general-motors-invest-2-7-billion-brazils-sao-153723673--finance.html

talk about a slap in the face.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Except it’s not a slap in the face. It’s what they all said they’d (big business) do from day one. trump and his klan gave them tax cuts anyway.

Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Big business essentially told him to his face they wouldn’t reinvest. Yet he gave them a massive tax cut... then complains when they still leave. The guy is a moron.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Good times. The systematic elimination of American labor. Billion dollar plants being built all over the world while a greedy corporation cries foul because profit margins aren't high enough using labor in the US of A.

That's fine - just waive a carrot in our faces and we'll all trek cross country hoping the next plant has a little staying power. We'll leave our homes and families, scrap our plans, sell our property.

The Lordstown built Cruze was doomed to fail... sabotaged... so the corp could get more of these over-paid Americans off their books. Lordstown workers built a high-quality product at an unparalleled efficiency. Yet, even when an offer is on the table for 150,000 vehicles, enough to keep the plant running for years, the profit margins wouldn't be quite high enough.

No big deal, it's just the little things - I'll sell my business, leave my kids and toddler grandchildren, sell my season tickets after waiting decades to field a team worth watching. Pack up my crap, "Missouri or Bust". My wife isn't prepared to give away 17 years of hard work and seniority.

What a joke, Trump's a cartoon character, corporation and union leaders not much better. Everybody can joke, point fingers, analyze from the outside. I have the ringside seat - watching people who've worked together for decades getting shipped all over the country. Families being separated so kids can finish high school. People not willing to sacrifice everything they've worked for while others call them "spoiled" and "fat" and "unskilled labor".

Good times indeed.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Except it’s not a slap in the face. It’s what they all said they’d (big business) do from day one. trump and his klan gave them tax cuts anyway.

Wait, Trump and his minions knew they'd do that, but the american people, at least those that follow Trump thought that it meant that more jobs would remain here and a Large number of them would return...

That was a lie..

But for some, if that's not a slap in the face, nothing is.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Wait, Trump and his minions knew they'd do that, but the american people, at least those that follow Trump thought that it meant that more jobs would remain here and a Large number of them would return...

That was a lie..

But for some, if that's not a slap in the face, nothing is.

Nope. We, those that saw trump for the con man he is, warned everyone he was a lying snake. They didn’t listen. They slapped their own faces.

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Move across the country to follow jobs? Don't do that! Trump told you not to move because great jobs were coming to Ohio! Don't you believe him? wink

https://www.axios.com/trump-told-ohio-fa...6650904d28.html

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
All I’m saying is that if I buy a bmw suv, it’s more American that a GM product.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Hey, buy what you want. I don't hold that against anyone.

But I think you may wish to consider my situation first. Many of my family members spent their adult life working at GM, retiring from GM and receiving benefits from GM. Not many of that generation of my family is still alive anymore. But they escaped poverty by moving to Ohio for good jobs in the 50's. I'm just not one of those people who easily forgets those things.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I feel you for sure.

For me, I grew up just watching everybody still struggling in the aftermath. Steel mills closed, plants closing, etc.

Then I’m 19/20/21 years old watching the same corporations begging for a bailout from the same Americans they just raped with no KY. And now they got the nerve to bolt again for overseas spots. It’s a slap in the face to the people that saved their asses.

I’m Not saying I won’t buy their products. I’d love to get a Vette on day. But that’s about it.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Hey, buy what you want. I don't hold that against anyone.

But I think you may wish to consider my situation first. Many of my family members spent their adult life working at GM, retiring from GM and receiving benefits from GM. Not many of that generation of my family is still alive anymore. But they escaped poverty by moving to Ohio for good jobs in the 50's. I'm just not one of those people who easily forgets those things.

My father retired from GM also so I know of what you speak

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump to GM: Reopen Ohio Plant, Close One in Mexico or China

Link Copied to Clipboard