Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
j\c To bad that the 700 billion payback to Solyndra didn't work out .....wheres the OUTRAGE hahahahahaha

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Riley01
j\c To bad that the 700 billion payback to Solyndra didn't work out .....wheres the OUTRAGE hahahahahaha

smh

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/21/19 12:34 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Why don't you? Someone else did your work.

Now, go ahead and tell me how batteries are going to save the country, and worl................never mind.

Are you having fun? First you tried to attack based on the fact that battery storage wasn't used. Then after you were proven wrong you switched to "Well now they'll want more tax money" to... what's next arch?

So many are saying wind isn't effective or efficient even though wind turbine usage has been escalating very quickly.

It's a shame those in the power industry have no clue what they're doing while Dawg Talker posters are the experts.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

As for Trump being an idiot, he is, and he can't help it. His speeches are nothing more than meanderings of a lunatic mind driving down a road that has no guard rails

While this is true, if accepted as truth, why does everyone get so overly triggered by his mouth? I personally have accepted that almost everything that comes out of his mouth is a hyperbolic stream of consciousness with no filter. So it's slightly irritating to see people purposefully take his words as being absolute when I think that even he knows he is being hyperbolic.

He's the president of the USA.. He's words are supposed to carry weight. You can't count on anything but crap coming out of his mouth. I'm angry because for some reason, we still have people in this country that think he was brought to us by God.. Really, by God?

They believe anything that comes out of his mouth.... Reason: Because he's born again and all his lying came before that. Clearly not true, but try explaining that..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I get it. To be perfectly transparent I thought it was hilarious at first, people getting outrageously worked up about his comments. Sometimes I still get a good laugh out of it. Mostly though it's just him doubling down and things he has no reason to, which just makes me embarrassed.

But as with my laughter you would think the constant outrage would wane. Apparently not.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's kind of funny isn't it?

I mean most parents wouldn't put up with their children constantly lying, saying hateful, mean and disrespectful things to people. We tell them we are trying to raise them to be better people than that.

Then when our president acts that way people ask why it matters?

Sad....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
At this point, we just have to let it run it's course, not like any of us are going to be able to do anything about it before 2020. No sense in my blood pressure going up over it.

So I just sit back and watch the show, it's quite comical how much of a rise he gets out of people still.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's just as comical to watch those who used to say it means something suddenly act like it doesn't.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think nuclear is a responsible 'transitional' energy source (moving away from fossil fuels) as long as we commit to continue developing more long term renewable energy technology. Bottom line we need to address climate change in anyway we can, as fast as we can.

I'm not sure nuclear energy is all that responsible. It has some super nasty byproducts. Burying that material in a deep, dark hole or dumping it in the ocean is probably not the best idea.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I think nuclear is a responsible 'transitional' energy source (moving away from fossil fuels) as long as we commit to continue developing more long term renewable energy technology. Bottom line we need to address climate change in anyway we can, as fast as we can.

I'm not sure nuclear energy is all that responsible. It has some super nasty byproducts. Burying that material in a deep, dark hole or dumping it in the ocean is probably not the best idea.

Shoot it into space. It'll be at least a couple thousand years before our neighbors get upset about it and send it back.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Shoot it into space. It'll be at least a couple thousand years before our neighbors get upset about it and send it back.

I'm guessing you are saying that lightheartedly, but I'm not sure everyone will read it that way.

It's probably a good thing to keep in mind that it costs 10s of millions of dollars to launch a rocket into outer space. I'm guessing a rocket would be required to break orbit. Sadly, I can already imagine Trump building giant catapults (to go with his wall) and trying to launch barrels into space.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe he would just launch those barrels into Mexico and make Americans pay for it?

wink

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Are you having fun? First you tried to attack based on the fact that battery storage wasn't used.

Here is my first response:
Quote:

My understanding is that is NOT how it works. Like, the $750,000 wind turbine behind my house. And the wind turbine at our local school. And the ones at 2 surrounding schools. And the turbine fields around Paulding Ohio.

They are connected straight to the power grid, with a meter that monitors their electric output. Then, a credit is issued monthly based on that. No batteries involved.

https://sciencing.com/electricity-move-wind-turbine-businesses-communities-buy-it-21904.html

My understanding is solar is similar. My brother has solar panels on his house. They don't supply his house with energy, nor does he have a cache of batteries storing energy.

Now, if I'm wrong, correct me.

Milkman (I think that's his name) DID correct me.

Quote:

Then after you were proven wrong you switched to "Well now they'll want more tax money" to... what's next arch?
I was proven wrong on a tiny, tiny scale. That may/might grow. Cool.

Tax money: Our school spent $1,175,000 on a 750 kw wind turbine, back in 2010. Now, much of that was grant money.....which is? Tax money.

Okay, fine. The latest I could find was that turbine saves the school district between $60,000 and $70,000 per year. Which is good, right?

Problem is, at this time, there is no 'payback' time. Anytime there is an issue with it, you're looking at a MINIMUM of $10,000 in repair. The last incident of shut down cost around $70,000.

I have no idea what the routine maintenance costs are. However, I do know those turbines need rebuilds at some time frame. 5 years? 10 years?
Quote:

So many are saying wind isn't effective or efficient even though wind turbine usage has been escalating very quickly.

It's a shame those in the power industry have no clue what they're doing while Dawg Talker posters are the experts.

At the current time, wind power is not efficient. It very well may become efficient in the future. Effective? In some regards, and not so much in other regards.

I realize that gov't. helps to fund new things in order to offset some costs. I get that. (and yes, wind and solar, on the level needed to change anything - is currently not cost effective in the least)

That's where 'taxes' came in.

You are correct that wind turbine power is escalating very quickly. On the backs off.....?

Perhaps 15 years ago or so, I looked into getting a wind turbine - small scale, but something that would reasonably generate what we/our house uses.

$50,000. Had to be paid up front. Then, I was told by the company I was talking to about it, once it was done and functioning, I could apply for grants and tax deductions of about, somewhere around $25,000.

I was interested. Until I was told that every 3-5 years, a total rebuild of the turbine would be required, and would cost in the neighborhood of $7,000.

That was the deciding factor for me to say "Nope".

The wind turbine in the field behind my house? Dude paid (a business) $750,000 for it, and was able to get grants and what not for about $350,000.

With his/their out of pocket of $400,000, he was hoping for a payback after 5 years. With all of the downtime due to repairs, it still hasn't come close to paying for itself. And it's been about 10 years now. His best guess at this time, with rebuilds scheduled and what not, is another 10 years, IF.

I don't have a problem with wind power, or solar power. I just know a country/city, even a business can't, at this time, be run, cost effectively, on that alone.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You do realize that Trump is trying to "bring back coal" which is one of the least efficient, most dirty energy sources on the planet and I haven't heard you say a peep against it though, right?

Yes, you can store both wind and solar in battery storage units. Solar is becoming more and more efficient all the time. And just like anything else that's considered new technology, it's always more expensive when it first comes out and less expensive and even more advanced as time goes on.

You sound like a person who claimed man would never be able to fly because many of the first aircraft's created failed. I'm glad people didn't give up on the airplane as fast as you've given up on renewable energy.

Both wind and solar are getting more efficient and solar is becoming much cheaper as time has gone on. As with anything,if America decides to address a problem, they can and will.

You are focusing on a wind turbine built over 10 years ago. Technology changes.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Okay. Glad you can read. Comprehension comes next. But, keep on keeping on. Thanks for your insight.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, comprehension doesn't work well with someone who views everything in a rear view mirror.

#gmstrong
U
Rookie
Rookie
U

Sorry but Chernobyl , 3 Mile Island, and Fukushima disasters proved to me that nuclear power is the worst out there. Even worse than Climate Change in itself IMHO.

Last edited by UrbanaDawg; 03/21/19 06:00 PM.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

I'm guessing you are saying that lightheartedly, but I'm not sure everyone will read it that way.

It's probably a good thing to keep in mind that it costs 10s of millions of dollars to launch a rocket into outer space. I'm guessing a rocket would be required to break orbit. Sadly, I can already imagine Trump building giant catapults (to go with his wall) and trying to launch barrels into space.

It used to be to expensive to contemplate, but since Elon developed his rocket system I think sending it into the sun makes good sense. Small tax on electric generated would pay for that. Spent rods that is, cooling water is a different story.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/21/19 06:19 PM.

Legend
Legend
and you said Trump was dumb. rolleyes

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
and you said Trump was dumb. rolleyes

The idea is on a BB website and just chatter. No feasibility study, cost analysis, or in depth thought whatsoever. Just that the sun would burn it like it was nothing. You want to compare that to Trump? Then you are as smart as he is.

Trump is POTUS, and very DUMB.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/21/19 06:34 PM.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Amazing what I am reading.

Shoot nuclear waste into space? Extreme cost, plus what happens if a rocket blows up? Would make Fukushima look like a tea party.

Pit thinks he proved something with batteries? A few experimental installations, with no cost numbers, in California no less, do not mean this can be nationwide. Wind turbines do require regular maintenance, and are expensive to build. Also, where the heck are the bird people complaining?

Solar panels are what we should be concentrating on, long-term payoff but they can last hundreds of years and only need occasional dusting. Still too expensive, currently.

Energy storage on a national scale is going to continue to be a problem, we still need to turn the lights on in the dark. We have nowhere near a feasible solution in batteries or any other storage medium at this time.

The examples listed are small-scale experiments and their total costs are not yet known. To call these an answer is typical liberal pie-in-the-sky dreaming, and now I will have to look up the origin of THAT phrase.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Nelson37
Amazing what I am reading.

Shoot nuclear waste into space? Extreme cost, plus what happens if a rocket blows up? Would make Fukushima look like a tea party.

Pit thinks he proved something with batteries? A few experimental installations, with no cost numbers, in California no less, do not mean this can be nationwide. Wind turbines do require regular maintenance, and are expensive to build. Also, where the heck are the bird people complaining?

Solar panels are what we should be concentrating on, long-term payoff but they can last hundreds of years and only need occasional dusting. Still too expensive, currently.

Energy storage on a national scale is going to continue to be a problem, we still need to turn the lights on in the dark. We have nowhere near a feasible solution in batteries or any other storage medium at this time.

The examples listed are small-scale experiments and their total costs are not yet known. To call these an answer is typical liberal pie-in-the-sky dreaming, and now I will have to look up the origin of THAT phrase.

Here comes the comic book scientist. Space is full of radioactive material and stars are basically super reactors. So tell me how a miniscule amount of 'spent rods' would destroy space. smh.

Legend
Legend
Unbelievable. rolleyes

The rocket explodes on takeoff and you just killed everyone in Miami.

And you call others dumb. rolleyes

I got better things to do than read this junk.
Time to trim my toenails.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 03/21/19 06:51 PM.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Unbelievable. rolleyes

The rocket explodes on takeoff and you just killed everyone in Miami.

And you call others dumb. rolleyes

I got better things to do than read this junk.
Time to trim my toenails.

Well since it was a quick thought, that you GOPers are trolling me into a rabbit hole with, I'll have to admit I didn't think of that. But it would be like a big ass dirty bomb going off.

But hey, for what it is I'm not ashamed. And you comparing me to trumps level of idiocy is as laughable as you are on the daily.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Back to the topic of nuclear as a transition. Yes you have to deal with the waste but it beats destroying the planet with carbon emissions. But hey, you old FOX NEWSers won't be around when my grandkids are wearing radiation suits and fighting over scraps of food and water. At least y'all had yours.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Your post includes part and parcel of why people love Donald Trump, and those who don't just don't get it.

So, some could just continue, or they could try and figure out just why it's so true, and the left just doesn't get it.

( ya, Trump " mimicked a man telling his wife turn off the television because the wind doesn't blow")

That right there ^ in a nutshell is the difference between the left, and repbulicans!

The Democrats, want to be all up in your business, tell you what you Can and Can't do INSIDE YOUR OWN HOUSE, when you are there, or not there, they just want to control EVERYTHING, ... because they are totalitarian dictators if you boil it down to the core.

While! Repulicans, ... can laugh at whatever nonsense this or that president does, because, hey, at least they aren't trying to (mess) with us today.
with a capital blank.

like the democrats would. But hey, that's just how I see it.

.. Hilary Clinton, way back in 1992, wanted to set up 40,000 or similar medical court judges to divvy out any and all healthcare to anyone in the usa, ...
and she wanted them alllll to be appointed by the president, when her Hubby was president,
so much for freedom, and elections, and will of the people, and representative government.

That's just, the deomcrats are off the rails, I don't know how they have any, 40% of the population duped,
but I'm willing to listen.

somebody tell me how the democrats aren't trying to mess with American life, and they'd be better for me to have freedom and get out from under the thumb of this government always trying to come down hard on regular people.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I'd like to reply because you said a lot, but other than 'dems bad' and you would listen, I just didn't get what you were trying to say.

T
Legend
Legend
T
You can't strap a windmill on the front of a tank.

But harness the power of overhead power lines? maybe.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
You can't strap a windmill on the front of a tank.

But harness the power of overhead power lines? maybe.

Tanks could run on biodiesel or possibly electric. But I like how you bring up that we can't power the war machines in the save the planet thread. Just saying.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Back to the topic of nuclear as a transition. Yes you have to deal with the waste but it beats destroying the planet with carbon emissions. But hey, you old FOX NEWSers won't be around when my grandkids are wearing radiation suits and fighting over scraps of food and water. At least y'all had yours.

1. We are not desroying the planet. It was "the coming ice age", then global warming, now climate change. It's always been a crock.

2. For someone so concerned about the planet, you should realize that radioactive waste is far more dangerous than carbon. Carbon feeds plants and is reabsorbed. Nuclear waste takes 10s of thousands of years to degrade.

3. That "shoot it into space" idea always sounds good until you start looking at the logistics. Leaving the large dirty bomb aside, the cheapest we can launch cargo into space is still $1000 per pound, and that's just into low earth orbit with a Musk rocket, and he just recently had a spectacular launch accident. Nasa rates are still around $10,000 per pound, to completely launch our waste out of orbit.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Where is my link? I don't have a link to what Hilary and Bill wanted to do, just my memories of the Presidential State of the Union address, their first year, circa 1992.

They also said how they wanted to come in and control everybody's thermostat for their indoor temperature, let the federal control what you set your thermostat on, for everybody across the entire U.S.of A. (for the first time)

in the same address. Inundat wonderful? No!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Read a cool article this morning. All the talk of batteries for renewable energy storage...then there’s this...
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/08/s...20Video%20Blogs

Thinking outside the box is what’s going to get us away from carbon based energy. Not grumpy old men with defeatist mindsets and the feckless leaders they vote in.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
I get it. To be perfectly transparent I thought it was hilarious at first, people getting outrageously worked up about his comments. Sometimes I still get a good laugh out of it. Mostly though it's just him doubling down and things he has no reason to, which just makes me embarrassed.

But as with my laughter you would think the constant outrage would wane. Apparently not.

my anger at Trump won't wane until he's in prison or at least out of office.... Then I'll stand down

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's kind of funny isn't it?

I mean most parents wouldn't put up with their children constantly lying, saying hateful, mean and disrespectful things to people. We tell them we are trying to raise them to be better people than that.

Then when our president acts that way people ask why it matters?

Sad....

Exactly,,, IT MATTERS... What the president of the USA says MATTERS...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Read a cool article this morning. All the talk of batteries for renewable energy storage...then there’s this...
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/08/s...20Video%20Blogs

Thinking outside the box is what’s going to get us away from carbon based energy. Not grumpy old men with defeatist mindsets and the feckless leaders they vote in.

Good stuff! thumbsup

Somebody will be along shortly to tell you it will never work.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Hey now whats wrong with us grumpy old men. It was my idea to have them hire me to fart in front of the wind turbines. I can supply enough energy to run the state for months on end.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
If any one of you "comic-book scientists" want to know why the Energy Vault will not be a great success, read the article and look at their target cost per KWh, then look at the pipe-dream number they hope to one day in the far future to be able to achieve, based on absolutely nothing other than good feelings and positive wishes.

Note also the cost numbers, and limited lifetimes, for battery storage systems given.

Next, get out your electric bill and look at the cost per KWh that you are currently paying.

If you are either unable to do the math, or unable to complete the logical thought process necessary to come to a conclusion, as many leftists have repeatedly demonstrated, come back and say so. I will then complete the process for you, and demonstrate the total absurdity involved.

There are solid, easily understood, mechanical and physical reasons why pumping water uphill is the best current and likely future energy storage method available. Positive thoughts, and daffodils and rainbows, have as little bearing on factual, accurate information as idiotic, egotistical, personal attacks and insults do.

Just like shooting nuclear waste into space, this is a stupid idea and has been known to be a stupid idea for decades. I knew this when I was in Elementary school.

There are a whole bunch of people here who need to have Somebody yank backwards on their shoulders until they hear the pop and can see the sunshine.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Firstly - you replied to OCD, I didn't see him posting an article. Maybe you were referring to Portland's article?

I guess we should have given up on Solar Power long ago - why didn't anyone warn them?

https://news.energysage.com/solar-panel-efficiency-cost-over-time/

Computer memory another non starter....

https://jcmit.net/memoryprice.htm
https://hblok.net/blog/posts/2017/12/17/historical-cost-of-computer-memory-and-storage-4/

Yes - we should stick with abacuses and coal. Right On!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
MG, he's just had the comic book scientist comment stuck in his craw for a day or two and thought this was his opportunity to strike back. But again he's just not that smart because he fails to understand that many people test things like this before looking for way to improve the technology and make it feasible for common use. He doesn't understand innovation.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
MGH - Did YOU, specifically, FAIL to read my comments on solar panels, IN THIS THREAD, or did YOU, specifically, FAIL TO UNDERSTAND the meanings of the words involved?

If you would like to discuss the clear and obvious differences in scalability over time with memory architecture and physical means of storing energy on a large scale, I am perfectly capable of having that discussion in depth and in detail. YOU, however, are not. Did you cover magnetic bubble storage in your grasping at headlines?

OCD, people test lots of idiotic, stupid ideas every single day, the vast majority of them waste a lot of other people's money demonstrating that their idea was both stupid and idiotic, just like the dumbass suggestion you made about shooting nuclear waste into space, because you have not spent the slightest time, effort, or energy doing any research or reading or accessing in any way the thoughts of those far smarter than your minimal level who have determined, repeatedly, for over 50 years and in many, many published papers, that this in not only not remotely cost-effective, much less even possible, but that it also demonstrates a severe risk of causing fatal levels of radiation poisoning to MILLIONS of people and making huge areas of land uninhabitable for THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

Since you do not think, or seek out accurate information in any recognizable way, you have probably not even conceived the concept that just shooting this crap beyond Earth orbit is NOT SUFFICIENT, it would require a dedicated monitoring team DECADES to manage the multiple, slingshot orbital paths necessary to get this crap out of the freaking solar system, a feat which humanity has only recently accomplished and which task covered almost half a century.

It takes a truly remarkable level of chutzpah to try and tell me I don't know what I am talking about when you clearly have no clue on issues I had detailed knowledge of in the third grade.

Do you have the guts to discuss the cost numbers given in the article? No, you don't. You kvetch, and whine, and moan, and throw insults and names like a small child. I have no interest in the total waste of time you represent. Grow up, and make an effort to at least resemble somebody who just might, with diagrams and pictures, have some faint idea of what a clue might be.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump mocks wind power: 'When the wind doesn't blow, just turn off the television'

Link Copied to Clipboard