Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1608603 03/30/19 11:34 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Before the 2017 draft I had this to say about Mahomes: from Archives
====================================================

"If that is the case. I like Mahomes.

I have done a lot of work on this guy. The rap of course is off brand offense, gaudy numbers, pre-determined reads, poor footwork, lack of discipline, at times broken mechanics.

At the same time nobody denies the talent this guy has.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/13/patrick-mahomes-nfl-draft-pro-day-texas-tech

Mahomes has a bunch of people behind him that all have his best interest at heart. His family (ex pro baseball player) agents with money, mentors, coaches, QB guru's etc.

I have looked at a bunch of behind the scenes stuff about Mahomes. He has confidence. He has been around the professional scene. Played with Jeter and A-Rod as a kid. He was a big time pitching prospect. He would have been drafted very high as a baseball prospect. He was still drafted by the Tigers even though they knew he chose football.

He has been taught about what it takes and what it takes to play for a career. His father played many years in the major and minors.

In watching him he is well aware of what he has to work on to improve. He has no problem putting in the work to improve. He worked with Manziel's former qb coach. Who notes that Mahomes is a much better prospect. Bigger, stronger, much better arm.

I have looked at his field tape. His flaws are correctable.
===========================================================

Well it has gone well for Mahomes .

Now we have Baker. Baker set the mark for rookie quarterbacks.

Two young guns who will be in sharp focus this year and for years to come.

What can we expect? More of the same IMO.

Both have shown a lot in a short period of time. Both are with good teams. Hot offenses that will score.

These guys will more than likely will battle in big games. Both will put up big numbers.

They are different but yet they share common traits. Both play with supreme confidence. Both make big plays. Both like to hit the long ball. They have the arms to make any throw. Mahomes will make attempts that for most quarterbacks would be inconceivable. Both are winners and leaders.

Their careers will no doubt will be matched together. Hopefully like Peyton and Brady.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have to say it's very hard to try and compare the two. Mahomes sat the bench his rookie year. So while last year was the first year he played, he had a year learning the system and improving.

Baker on the other hand had 13 starts in his rookie year. People can use guesswork and conjecture in an attempt to compare the two at this point, but Baker hasn't even gone into his second year yet and there's no certainty he will produce better or worse than Mahomes did in his second season as an NFL player.

The jury is far from in on this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Baker better wink

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
It's tough for me to pick anyone over Mahomes at this point

I'd be more apt to compare Baker to the other QBs in his draft class ... Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Jackson

I know people say "We coulda had Mahomes!" yes, we could have ... but maybe he would have been ruined in this situation

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I have to say it's very hard to try and compare the two. Mahomes sat the bench his rookie year. So while last year was the first year he played, he had a year learning the system and improving.

Baker on the other hand had 13 starts in his rookie year. People can use guesswork and conjecture in an attempt to compare the two at this point, but Baker hasn't even gone into his second year yet and there's no certainty he will produce better or worse than Mahomes did in his second season as an NFL player.

I would add that Mahomes went to a playoff-caliber team with as solid a HC as a young QB could hope for.

Baker went to a team that had just gone 1-31 with a complete and total disaster of a HC.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The jury is still out, but my money is on Baker.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I would add that Mahomes went to a playoff-caliber team with as solid a HC as a young QB could hope for.

Baker went to a team that had just gone 1-31 with a complete and total disaster of a HC.

Good add.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

I'd be more apt to compare Baker to the other QBs in his draft class ... Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Jackson

I know people say "We coulda had Mahomes!" yes, we could have ... but maybe he would have been ruined in this situation

We could have had Mahomes, but we wouldn't have had Garrett. Garrett at 1, Mahomes at 12 was probably discussed, but I don't think trading up for Mahomes was an option at that time.

If I were to pick the QB's of the future, I'd say Mayfield, Mahomes, and Wentz. I think the Browns, Chiefs, and Eagles are going to be very good for the next decade because of their quarterback...

Legend
Legend
Well, in that case we could have had: Mahomes, then Barkley/Chubb, and Ward

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
With the talent decrease in KC, combined with a year of tape and DCs being able to plan for him, I expect Mahommes to take a minor step backwards numbers-wise.

Baker will be interesting - with OBJ we have more talent on the offense, but there's tape on Baker now and defenses can plan for him as well. If the OL, playcalling, and running game can continue with what we saw the last half of the season, I'd hope he'd at least be on par with last season. Will success get to their heads? Will there be a sophomore slump? How will things change on O? How will the improved (presumably) defense impact what we do on offense? Based on 2018 records, we have the 10th easiest schedule this season (according to CBS), will an "easier" schedule lead to better numbers? Lots of questions.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I don't know that Mahomes will take a step back. I fully expect Baker and Mahomes to be 1-2 in the AFC passing.

Legend
Legend
Based on pure arm talent, mahomes is better. He had Rodgers kind of talent where it’s like he’s breaking the laws of physics.

But I’ve seen better pocket awareness, mobility, and in some cases better ball placement in mayfield.

I also think mahomes had the benefit of sitting a year, having a better head coach, and better offensive talent.

But I’m glad we have mayfield and I rather have him than mahomes.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1608682 03/30/19 02:18 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
One point I'd add to that... I think Mahomes needed to sit a year and benefited from it. I think Mayfield needed to play and benefited from it. Not everyone is the same.

If we had drafted Mahomes and played him year one, things could have been drastically different for him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree that QB's are different and there's not a one size fits all approach that works for all of them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: clwb419
With the talent decrease in KC, combined with a year of tape and DCs being able to plan for him, I expect Mahommes to take a minor step backwards numbers-wise.

Baker will be interesting - with OBJ we have more talent on the offense, but there's tape on Baker now and defenses can plan for him as well. If the OL, playcalling, and running game can continue with what we saw the last half of the season, I'd hope he'd at least be on par with last season. Will success get to their heads? Will there be a sophomore slump? How will things change on O? How will the improved (presumably) defense impact what we do on offense? Based on 2018 records, we have the 10th easiest schedule this season (according to CBS), will an "easier" schedule lead to better numbers? Lots of questions.

If YOU are a DC. What "Tendency " did you see in Mayfield?

kwhip #1608712 03/30/19 03:38 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's the thing I think that gives Mayfield the advantage in "the difficulty factor" as it pertains to defenses playing against him. He tends to spread the ball around. I'm not saying there won't be tendencies that will eventually be recognized by opposing DC's, but when a QB throws the ball in different directions, to different WR's, it makes it much harder to focus on any given weapon that offense has.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend

This season will be a lot different. Baker is going in as the starter. Full OTA's, camp, and pre-season working with the first unit.

And of course the full unit will be something.

Don't want to overlook Callaway starting his second year. He should be make that jump from rookie to second year pro.

I don't put Mahomes and Baker into a contest as who is better. I simply see them as new up and coming young quarterbacks who could become the new generation of quarterbacks.

Brady, Brees, Ben, Rivers, Eli, are all near their end.

Rodgers is still; well Rodgers. Matt Ryan is good. Cam? I don't know about Cam? Luck is back and I expect him to be very good. Garappolo should do well. Goff is improving. And then there is Russell Wilson who will break the piggy bank soon.

Wentz will come back strong IMO.

And we will see how Darnold, Allen, Watson, and Trubisky progress.

Legend
Legend
Sleep on Carr if y’all want to.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Legend
Legend
T
There are a lot of young Qb's to like, Trubisky, Wentz, Foles, Watson among them, and Goff, and others, it's near impossible to remember them all on the fly.

Mahommes comes across as spoiled bratishly over confidently arrogant, but he's really really good.

Baker, ---

One of these guys is a Cleveland Brown sooo, Even so, Baker sometimes looks like the consomate professional.
" A pretty good young quarterback" <-- understatement

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

I love Baker but I'm with ya on this one too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I think Mahomes is a terrific young QB. I will add that an awful lot of his "best" highlights are in plays that had broken-down and the scramble-drill was in play. Also, many of his pocket throws on that video were either long bombs when coverage went sideways or throws to a well-covered, stud TE who simply beat the defender on a very good throw. I don't know how many guys Baker played with last year who would have been able to make some of those broken plays work.

I made that exact same comment the last time the two QBs were "compared" in a thread. They are both terrific young QBs...but I'd rather have Baker. I like Baker's pocket-awareness better...Baker isn't as tall...but he looks thicker. They both have very strong NFL arms. Admittedly, if Mahomes was a Brown, I'd probably find a way to like him better as well.

P
Legend
Legend
P
These 2 will be playing against one another for a few Super Bowl appearances ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
These 2 will be playing against one another for a few Super Bowl appearances ...

Here's to hoping he wont become our next Elway... willynilly

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

From your lips to God's ears Pastor..

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Swish #1608752 03/30/19 07:02 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
Sleep on Carr if y’all want to.

What is his OL gonna look like?

He might have a couple of good games against the Chiefs D, but the Chargers and Broncos will likely be bloodbaths and not in his favor. Bosa and Ingram, Von and Chubb in the division?

Trent Brown might have been "good" during a contract year with Scarnecchia (and Brady's quick release), but now after getting paid a monster contract with Cable as his OL coach? I'm a little skeptical. Kolton Miller was just not a good OT.

Antonio Brown will probably get tired of playing games on a baseball field, with a QB constantly on his back, real quick. I'm not sure Tyrell Williams will have time to get open. AB should still be able to, but, again, Carr under pressure hasn't been pretty.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Mahommes comes across as spoiled bratishly over confidently arrogant, but he's really really good.

This was said during a comparison between Mahomes and Baker. Utterly amazing.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/30/19 07:11 PM.
Legend
Legend
I hope that comes to fruition, but I also don't want to put our cart in front of the horse here. Baker was superb last year, but let's hope he continues to progress and work and stay healthy

C
Legend
Legend
C
I love Baker.

Mahomes just threw for 50 TDs and won the MVP in his second season. As of right now this is not even a discussion. Mahomes in a landslide.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I love Baker.

Mahomes just threw for 50 TDs and won the MVP in his second season. As of right now this is not even a discussion. Mahomes in a landslide.

Until next year wink

Joe Thomas #73
Swish #1608772 03/30/19 08:09 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Carr, I just forgot in some ways I see him like Matt Stafford. Good solid players.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

From your lips to God's ears Pastor..

I just don't want Kosar/Elway again. Please .. no "The Drive," no "The Fumble."

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Carr, I just forgot in some ways I see him like Matt Stafford. Good solid players.

I see those two guys as different players.

Stafford is a tough player. Carr is not. Carr is the more polished player while Stafford is more reckless. Stafford is more mobile. Both have plus arms, but Stafford has one of the truly elite arms in the league.

I will agree that both are somewhat disappointing given their talent.

Legend
OP Online
Legend

I didn't mean similar in game play but careers.

They both have talent but the results in wins? Not too hot.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Got it.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Mahomes is a special QB but at the end of last year it seemed Defenses were starting to catch up to him...but he is amazing!

Baker, he did things no other rookie QB has done. But lets hope he is kept clean and we don't damage him. As teams will start trying to put him away to beat us.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
F
Legend
Legend
F
Well, in that case we could have had: Mahomes, then Barkley/Chubb, and Ward

Probably not. Mahomes would have probably won a couple games and pushed us down a bit in the draft.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I just put this information in another thread, but it should have went here. It's a bit confusing because there are 3 active Baker threads, but here goes:

Yards: Baker was 17th. Mahomes was 2nd.

TDs: Baker was 11th. Mahomes was 1st.

Interceptions: Baker was tied for 27th. Mahomes was tied for 20th.

I didn't realize this until I looked-up their stats, but Baker is actually 5 months older than Mahomes.

QBR: Baker was 23rd. Mahomes was 1st.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/31/19 09:37 AM. Reason: More info
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm ready to see how those numbers change with both entrenched as starters for a full season. Should be fun to watch regardless of the outcome.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
The cool thing is that both rosters are loaded w/offensive talent. Amazingly, other than TE, I actually think the Browns have more talent on offense going into next season. Both QBs should put up monster numbers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker vs Mahomes

Link Copied to Clipboard