Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
When Browns running back Duke Johnson didn’t show up to the first day of voluntary offseason work, it naturally fueled the talk that had already begun that he could be traded. It appears a trade is exactly what Johnson wants.

Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com reports that Johnson’s representatives have asked the Browns to trade him.

The Jets, Texans and Eagles are among the teams reportedly showing interest.

The Browns chose Johnson in the third round of the 2015 NFL draft. Less than a year ago, they signed him to a three-year, $15.6 million contract extension, and it appeared that he was in the Browns’ plans for the long run. But although he played all 16 games last season, he didn’t get a lot of involvement in the offense, carrying just 40 times for 201 yards and adding 47 catches for 429 yards. Johnson is a good receiver and could yield a draft pick in a trade with a team that wants a versatile running back. It appears his future will not be in Cleveland.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
bye

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Not a shock. It is best for his career if he is traded as ion as possible.

Legend
Legend
The writing is on the wall that he won't be needed in week 9. However, if something were to happen to Chubb, we need a solid backup until Hunt can return to the field (which is obvious).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Legend
Legend
B
The Browns like Hilliard. Nothing says we don't already have our back-up.

Backs are a dime a dozen. There will be plenty on cut lists and trade lists.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Not a surprise at all.

I have maintained from the day they signed Hunt that Duke would be gone.

Just business.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I Would Imagine He Will Get His Wish ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't blame him. He's got one more shot at decent contract.

Duke isn't going to get the touches required here to get that (possibly last) pay day.

Hope the Browns are able to get a reasonable return for him.

Legend
Legend
I hope something decent happens for us. I will miss him.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This may stretch out a while. He has value and we won't give him away. It might not happen until just before the draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Worth anything at the draft?

Legend
Legend
Dorsey will let these GMs know from the get-go. "Offer me b.s. and you'll just watch him go to another team, I'll hold him til a draft day trade if I have to. No freebies, Buddy Boy".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
Can't say I blame him.

I'll not say a bad word about Duke, he's a good player who put up with a lot of losing and didn't complain. He's a classy kid.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Any chance we can trade Duke and a late pick or two to move back into the first round of the draft to target a DE / S / CB we covet?

What sort of value do we all think he has now? Have we lost leverage now that he has requested a trade?

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FATE
Dorsey will let these GMs know from the get-go. "Offer me b.s. and you'll just watch him go to another team, I'll hold him til a draft day trade if I have to. No freebies, Buddy Boy".

Duke is a much better zone runner than gap runner but he still averaged 5 yards a carry last year. Combine that with how good of a receiver he is out of the backfield and teams that need a change of pace back should be fighting to get to the front of the line. He's only making $1.8 mil so he won't break the bank either.

The NFL as a whole doesn't value RB's that much but they will value this one. A 4th rounder is what I'm hoping for at the low end with a hope for a 3rd rounder if two teams are trying to outbid each other.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Not a surprise at all.

I have maintained from the day they signed Hunt that Duke would be gone.

Just business.

We may have determined last year that we needed to replace Duke.

I like Duke, and this is just my speculation, but it makes sense to me.

Maybe Duke was complaining to Freddie, his position coach all year long, and it got old.

Duke did it the right way. He didn't go to the news media, but if Freddie really thought that Duke should get more reps, one would think that once Freddie was OC, Duke would have if Freddie felt he should.

Maybe a draft day deal? Our 2nd and Duke for a 1st rounder......probably not...Duke and a 3rd for a decent 2nd rounder....maybe....Duke straight up for a 3rd rounder....Maybe, again.

Dorsey seems to like trading for players over picks. Trading for players in the NFL was a rare thing back in the day.....not with John.

Draft is getting close. The schedule release is getting close....I like the month of April. Baseball is in gear, The Masters, solid NFL happenings, local outdoor events are starting to hit every weekend, and it is still cool enough to enjoy things. In another month or so it is basically going to hit 92-94 degrees or better every day for 4 months.

I am at the age where where I better not wish away any of my days, but I am really looking forward to heading to Cleveland 7 times to use my season tickets. Heck, I might hit every home game depending on the schedule, but as I get older, back to back weekends can become a drag.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I was hoping he'd ride it out this season, but I can't blame the guy.

Can someone confirm if we'd save money on cap if we didn't trade him until after June 1st? Feel like I've read that somewhere on the board.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
might go to a team that needs a slot reciever... what he really wants to do anyway and he would be good at it...

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C..

Duke was a light of hope the team didn't have with a Roster that didn't have a great supporting cast.

Duke was the first back in Browns history to post 500-plus receiving yards in his first two NFL seasons.

I have to give him a big thank you for the effort he gave.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Any chance we can trade Duke and a late pick or two to move back into the first round of the draft to target a DE / S / CB we covet?

Jordan Howard, who is a good running back, just got traded for a 2020 sixth round pick. So no.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
This may stretch out a while. He has value and we won't give him away. It might not happen until just before the draft.

I'd about guarantee that he is with another team by April 26th.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I'll predict we trade Duke and #189 (6th round) for Houston's #161 (5th round) - the equivalent of trading him for #200 overall a mid/late 6th rounder. Philly would be another great fit for him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's going to be tough to get much for Duke. Jordan Howard, who has averaged over a 1,000 yards a season in his first 3 seasons was traded for a 6th round draft choice that might escalate into a 5th. Duke has never come close to those numbers.

I'm hoping we trade Duke for another player. I think we would get more value by doing that rather than trading for a draft pick.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Good call.

Just found this proposal on nj.com. I'd do it, but would inquire with them about Daeshon Hall first.

Eagles get: RB Duke Johnson, Browns 2019 fifth-round pick (No. 170)

Browns get: RB Corey Clement, Eagles’ 2019 fifth-round pick (No. 163) and a 2020 seventh-round pick (via Buccaneers)

Last edited by clwb419; 04/01/19 08:09 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
If all we can get for Duke Jonson is a 5th or 6th round pick, I'd rather the Browns just tell him he's here until they say he isn't. We need him until Kareem is active. Trade him at the deadline, or next off season. He has a role as a change of pace back / 3rd down back / punt returner, and possibly as our feature back if Chubb gets hurt while Hunt is suspended. Use him until we don't need him anymore. If he does his job, it will work out best for both the Browns and Duke.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Dave
If all we can get for Duke Jonson is a 5th or 6th round pick, I'd rather the Browns just tell him he's here until they say he isn't. We need him until Kareem is active. Trade him at the deadline, or next off season. He has a role as a change of pace back / 3rd down back / punt returner, and possibly as our feature back if Chubb gets hurt while Hunt is suspended. Use him until we don't need him anymore. If he does his job, it will work out best for both the Browns and Duke.

That's the way I prefer it as well

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you, but it's tough having guys in the locker room who might end up being disruptive. I think Dorsey is really focused on getting everyone on the same page.

I really like Duke as a player and a person. However, when we were debating back and forth on whether we should trade him or not, I always brought up that he isn't going to like being 3rd string. That is not an insult. I get it. I played the damn position and no way would I be happy being 3rd freaking string.

Again, I hope we trade him for a player. Hopefully a defensive player like a safety or corner. Maybe even a LBer

What do you guys think of trading Duke to Dallas for Sean Lee? He's the odd man out w/those two studs they have at LBer. He gets injured too much, but he is an excellent LBer who can cover and is extremely intelligent.

Two teams trading their positional excess away. Makes sense to me. It's a lot better than a 7th round draft choice.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sean Lee would fit Collin's spot pretty well if he could stay healthy. He's also from PA so he would be closer to home.

I heard that TB was interested in Duke a while back, maybe we could trade Duke for McCoy as well.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Sean Lee just restructured his contract to stay with Dallas.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Sean Lee just restructured his contract to stay with Dallas.

Or he just restructured it to be traded. brownie

V
Legend
Legend
V
Does that mean they won't trade him? I think Dallas makes some sense for Duke. They need a back-up for Zeke. I know Rod Smith was a FA, but I don't know if he is staying or not? They are going to kill Zeke and he needs some plays off.

With all of that said..........I don't think that trade will happen. LOL. I was just throwing it out there as an example of trading for a player rather than getting a 6th or 7th round draft choice who almost certainly won't make the team. I kind of like Dep's suggestion of McCoy as well........provided he would take a significant decrease in salary.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
overated RB that caught alot of passes on checkdowns in a offense that was putrid.
hes really a dime a dozen RB.
not a end zone threat.
gets caught from behind alot
rarely makes tacklers miss in space

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree with you, we could use a guy like Lee on our LB core...injuries have hurt him and now he is the odd man out.

I like Duke, think we are playing with the injury fire by depleting our depth, but think Lee would be a good trade given the circumstances.

Legend
Legend

Anything less than a 4th and I definitely hold him til the draft. I'm with Vers, trade him for a player.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm okay with trading Duke for a player when we're in the clear - or close to in the clear - with regards to having a feature back in Hunt's absence. I'm just not impressed with accumulating 5th or 6th round picks.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Neither am I.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
The Browns like Hilliard. Nothing says we don't already have our back-up.

Backs are a dime a dozen. There will be plenty on cut lists and trade lists.

Yes, folks ask me last year who would be a suprise to make the roster ... My answer was Hilliard.

We will be okay @ RB if we trade DJ.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It's going to be tough to get much for Duke. Jordan Howard, who has averaged over a 1,000 yards a season in his first 3 seasons was traded for a 6th round draft choice that might escalate into a 5th. Duke has never come close to those numbers.

I'm hoping we trade Duke for another player. I think we would get more value by doing that rather than trading for a draft pick.

I agree we need to get a player for player.

Not that it amounts to a hill of beans, but
Dallas fans are in love with adding DJ.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
I'm okay with trading Duke for a player when we're in the clear - or close to in the clear - with regards to having a feature back in Hunt's absence. I'm just not impressed with accumulating 5th or 6th round picks.

I'm in agreement here.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Duke Johnson asks to be traded

Link Copied to Clipboard