Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
And why do you think Beckham would be treated differently?

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
C
Legend
Legend
C
Baker thrives off the attention too. It’s a symbiotic relationship.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think that is a fair response. Just to be clear.......I do not think what Baker said is a big deal. I just think he needs to mature in this area a bit. Not a big deal. I do think that the reaction would be made into a big deal had OBJ said it.

I point these things out so that a certain faction of our population realize not all of us are like that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: bringbackbernie
And why do you think Beckham would be treated differently?

Guess.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

Off topic, but couple things....

If OBJ would have commented to Cowherd like Baker did I would have loved it.

I don't think Baker thrives off attention. I think he feeds off people telling him he can't or won't. I also think he likes to have fun.

However, I think when you're told as many times as Baker has been told that you're not good enough, you get an edge. Baker has an edge and plays off that edge.

I don't consider him commenting on social media as being immature. It's just how the world communicates today as opposed to yesteryear. I'm not going to win this argument because people will say he's immature his entire career. It's all relative.

I think people have stereotyped boisterous people as being immature and egotistical. I really don't think of Baker being either. Deep down I think he's a really humble guy.

People are going to tell Baker to "cool it" for his entire career, including some of his own fans, and he's just going to keep being Baker.

His personality is what makes him a super star. Not everyone is going to like it. And not everyone is going to care. If you don't embrace him, you will never like him. We could win a dozen super bowls with him and some fans will still wish he would change.

I've dreamt of having a quarterback who could walk the talk. We finally have one that's even better.

Legend
Legend
sooo.. yea.. Morgan Burnett..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hard to evaluate at this point in time.

He has negatives:

--Didn't play very well in Pittsburgh last year.
--Getting older and maybe has slipped a bit.

Positives:

--Has performed well in the past.
--Good in-the-box.
--Good tackler.

Miscellaneous:
--Played out of position a lot last year.

Summary:

An upgrade over Kindred, but not a long-term solution. Might be used in combination w/Murray because the latter is better in pass coverage at this point in time. We'll probably be looking for a SS in the draft or in FA next year.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
According to Cowherd, Dorsey has no plan.

Cowherd spent a whole segment recently trashing the Browns. Haslam is a control freak, Dorsey is a control freak, his as good as sources get source telling him OBJ isn't happy, Baker is a baby. A couple clicks on YouTube and you can find it. Pretty sure it aired yesterday.

But pdawg was right. The quote I mentioned wasn't Cowherd but an anonymous exec that Cowherd quoted on the air.

Cowherd maybe right on all of it. The only thing the Browns can do is win. If they win, Cowherd will dig in and find a way to discredit the wins. It's what he does, but it will be hollow and people will see right through it. I read a good analogy on a another board that he's playing the heel role of a professional wrestler.

If the Browns lose, he will spend alot of time on his show reveling in it.

Is this the guy that Baker faced on his show and basically shut him up? I think it is..

Baker made him look like a fool

Believe your own eyes and ears. Haslam doesn't act like or appear like a control freak.. Neither does Dorsey. Baker isn't a little baby and if I'm any good at all reading people, OBJ was probably stunned at the trade, but seems to be happy after some thought.

That's what my eyes and ears tell me. I don't need a guy like this trying to tell me anything.

He says he has a source in the Browns.. So do I,,,,Well, really I don't, but I can say that if I wanna and you can't tell me that I don't.

When he names his source and that source can be questioned, then and only then can what this guy says be taken seriously.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Hard to evaluate at this point in time.

He has negatives:

--Didn't play very well in Pittsburgh last year.
--Getting older and maybe has slipped a bit.

Positives:

--Has performed well in the past.
--Good in-the-box.
--Good tackler.

Miscellaneous:
--Played out of position a lot last year.

Summary:

An upgrade over Kindred, but not a long-term solution. Might be used in combination w/Murray because the latter is better in pass coverage at this point in time. We'll probably be looking for a SS in the draft or in FA next year.

I agree with most of what you're saying. I kind of think that one point deserves a closer look, though.

Did he really play out of position?

It looked a lot like the same way he was used in Green Bay to me. They used him almost as an Urlacher-style cover-2 mike at times up there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we used him in that role, too.

I think he was more hurt by the injury and lack of PT than the way he was used. Pitt did draft a rookie early that fit the same role and was younger, faster, and cheaper. We might actually be taking a similar path with him, but he could hold him off longer with some luck on the injury front.

If healthy and hasn't lost too much athleticism, Burnett should be a solid player for us. His veteran savvy is something that gives him an edge in many situations. He might not make a ton of highlight plays, but he should give us a lot of smart, unselfish plays.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I have to question whether Cowherd has any sources at all. Would anyone with a lick of sense tell this guy anything so he can put his BS spin on it?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
According to Cowherd, Dorsey has no plan.

Cowherd is like the king of Bozos...really about as know nothing as you get and I think he gets a kick out of riling up Browns fans and probably it spikes his gig.

Dorsey definitely has a plan.

So from what I get is that Burnett is a pretty big upgrade on Kindred.

He doesn't have the dynamic skill sets of Peppers but he is more consistent and disciplined than Peppers.

I think he will be a perfect MENTOR to our #49 pick if he is a safety and or at #80. Obviously 2 years is about all we want him for.

I'm so happy the Steelers were playing him out of position and he chose the Browns. As was mentioned he was the top FA Safety in 2018.

this also eliminates any NEED coming into the draft.

I like the pick up. We have a DYNAMIC front 4 against the pass. Having a disciplined safety and leader is a good fit.

jmho and as mentioned will be a good example for the new kids we will draft!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
I have to question whether Cowherd has any sources at all. Would anyone with a lick of sense tell this guy anything so he can put his BS spin on it?

"Word IS" his source is Roger Brown wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
[quote=Versatile Dog]Hard to evaluate at this point in time.

Did he really play out of position?

It looked a lot like the same way he was used in Green Bay to me. They used him almost as an Urlacher-style cover-2 mike at times up there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we used him in that role, too.

I think he was more hurt by the injury and lack of PT than the way he was used. Pitt did draft a rookie early that fit the same role and was younger, faster, and cheaper. We might actually be taking a similar path with him, but he could hold him off longer with some luck on the injury front.

If healthy and hasn't lost too much athleticism, Burnett should be a solid player for us. His veteran savvy is something that gives him an edge in many situations. He might not make a ton of highlight plays, but he should give us a lot of smart, unselfish plays.

I can only go by what is said in the media. If that's true I hope we didn't sign this guy under deceptive pretext. He clearly said that he wants to play the safety position. If we don't intend to use him in that role, if we misled him to believe that we would do so, that's a problem.

I don't have any reason to believe that Dorsey operates that way.

So, I think he'll have an opportunity to play safety. I think it's possible that we don't take a safety particularly high in the draft. Yes, I think we draft one but possibly later than we would have before signing Burnett. I think we address corner before safety.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cowherd makes his living off of getting people to listen to him. So when a lot of people are getting on the Browns bandwagon and predicting good things for the team, he says the opposite. This attracts attention. If he said the Browns will win the AFCN then he is just another guy saying what a lot of others are saying.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Cowherd makes his living off of getting people to listen to him. So when a lot of people are getting on the Browns bandwagon and predicting good things for the team, he says the opposite. This attracts attention. If he said the Browns will win the AFCN then he is just another guy saying what a lot of others are saying.

Exactly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

I can only go by what is said in the media. If that's true I hope we didn't sign this guy under deceptive pretext. He clearly said that he wants to play the safety position. If we don't intend to use him in that role, if we misled him to believe that we would do so, that's a problem.

I don't have any reason to believe that Dorsey operates that way.

So, I think he'll have an opportunity to play safety. I think it's possible that we don't take a safety particularly high in the draft. Yes, I think we draft one but possibly later than we would have before signing Burnett. I think we address corner before safety.

Oh, I think we'll use Burnett at Safety, too. Just that we'll use him in the same spots those other teams did as well.

As far as CB or safety first, I tend to see it the other way. The CB class looks deeper. Depends who is on the board, though.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
PFF tracks those stats.

And yes, Burnett played a higher % @LB, than he did lined up @SS in 2018.

I think that we are looking for a more traditional cover 3 SS.

If a player is unhappy in the role he is being used, then it only stands to reason imo, that you will probably not be getting the best out of that player.

The only reason (imo) why the accusation of Burnett is not a slam dunk! ... is due to his age, but what he might have lost in speed, he makes up for with his instincts and experiance.

I would have liked to have kept Peppers, because of his upside in that he is just coming into his own, but for the immediate future Morgan Burnett will crevice and he will not be a liability to our defense.
He is just not a long term solution ... If there is such a thing @SS today.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think Cowherd actually really likes / respects Baker. Maybe not initially but after Baker owned him on his own show after the draft last year and then broke the rookie TD record, how could he not?

They both know that their feud is good for their respective brands.

Cowherd is just taking a contrarian angle on a hot NFL topic (The Browns ). It's a pure ratings play. Both Baker and Cowherd know that.

Baker is asserting himself as a leader by coming at Cowherd. He HAS to.

You think Odell doesn't respect that? You think Eli would have done that for Odell?

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Crappy report.

I do not trust his sentiment; he has always had snarky and snide Browns commentary; media cheap shots. I don't know his source, if one exists, so I don't trust it any more than MKC. And if he had a source, I do not trust his judgment. Just seems like ginned up artificial controversy for the sake of hearing yourself at length, right or wrong, while you mansplain loudly to the audience you insult as you lord it over them. About as good as his network can do apparently. Beats covering real stories. Can this nonsense.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
I think Cowherd actually really likes / respects Baker. Maybe not initially but after Baker owned him on his own show after the draft last year and then broke the rookie TD record, how could he not?

They both know that their feud is good for their respective brands.

Cowherd is just taking a contrarian angle on a hot NFL topic (The Browns ). It's a pure ratings play. Both Baker and Cowherd know that.

Baker is asserting himself as a leader by coming at Cowherd. He HAS to.

You think Odell doesn't respect that? You think Eli would have done that for Odell?

I've only ever heard Cowherd trash Baker - even when BM was doing great. I think Cowherd is a talentless turd who has more intellect and vocabulary than Skip Bayless - but is the same contrived hack who simply tries to get reactions based on 'alternative' takes. Like Skip I simply switch Colin off since to listen to him and react is all that he wants.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All of what I've read has been that Dorsey is not willing to throw long term money at any of the remaining FA's. This is likely why Boston is still a FA, him and his agent are delusional. From what I've read, Boston has had many offers and keep turning them down.

Legend
Legend
Sentence two is why sentence one doesn't matter.
Cowherd may actually really like Baker, but you aren't likely to hear that when the microphones are turned off because that doesn't trigger people; that doesn't get people talking about him, his show, his opinions.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cowherd knows how popular Baker is, he is a shock jock.

With that said, Cowherd isn’t wrong to speculate “What if” this all blows up…..let’s not act like that is beyond the realm of possibility. OBJ’s antics born from frustration out of losing are the REASON he is in Cleveland.

P
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BpG
Cowherd knows how popular Baker is, he is a shock jock.

With that said, Cowherd isn’t wrong to speculate “What if” this all blows up…..let’s not act like that is beyond the realm of possibility. OBJ’s antics born from frustration out of losing are the REASON he is in Cleveland.

I would guess 80% to 20% chance this will not blow up with all the talent on this team especially at QB!!! Baker is as good a leader as I have ever seen ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Short term positives from being a shock jock but long term he is ruining whatever credibility he has as a Sports analysts. In a couple of years he will be a drunk telling people how he was a NFL Analyst that actually had a show. Then falls off the stool and pees on himself... rofl

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

On Bakers comments about CC - Baker had two options, 1. He could have stayed quite, and possibly let OBJ say something making it more than it would have been, IMO, or 2. He could be a leader and step up right away, showing OBJ that Baker will have his back.

I don't think some realize that the team LOVES BAKER. Remember that no call late hit last year, when Jarvis went crazy and then instantly other browns ran over to get baker and have HIS back. This is why that happened. They know Baker has THEIR back.

As far as Burnett, I think Kindred was a better player and younger. This baffles me we would let him go and sign Burnett.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It amazes me how these days that engaging in smack talk has become a sign of leadership.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It amazes me how these days that engaging in smack talk has become a sign of leadership.

There have always been different kinds of leadership.

Based on early results, Baker might be the kind we needed.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really have a problem with him doing it so much as people really need to understand that smack talking back and forth with CC isn't providing your team with leadership.

There's no doubt that Baker is the leader of this team. That our players will go above and beyond for him. He's certainly the QB this team needed.

But I'd bet any amount of money that whether he smack talks with Cowherd would have zero impact on that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

There have always been different kinds of leadership.

Based on early results, Baker might be the kind we needed.

I don't know that I would consider it "smack." I would probably put it more under the "sticking up for a teammate" file.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't really have a problem with him doing it so much as people really need to understand that smack talking back and forth with CC isn't providing your team with leadership.

There's no doubt that Baker is the leader of this team. That our players will go above and beyond for him. He's certainly the QB this team needed.

But I'd bet any amount of money that whether he smack talks with Cowherd would have zero impact on that.

While Colin Cowherd doesn't wear Orange and Brown, and, thus, doesn't matter, OBJ does. Baker's a guy who speaks his mind and will stick up for his guys. I don't think Baker wasted a lot of time thinking/worrying about it.

If he feels the need for more fuel at some point, Baker might reflect on Cowherd later, briefly.

In a "Twitter world", not dealing with things like this only leads to more distractions as Cowherd's BS "stories grow legs." Say your piece and move on is more or less what Baker did, I think.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Would you agree that "smack talk" vs a national media figure in the offseason and "smack talk" with an opposing player on next weeks schedule are two totally different things?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes. In one case it's pretty much limited between the two cities of the opposing teams. In the other case it gets coverage on a much larger scale.

Cowherd is a talking head. A wannabe Jim Rome. When Baker makes comments towards him he's playing right into Cowherd's hands. He's feeding Cowherd's audience and Cowherds ability to make himself look important.

He's helping Cowherd and gains nothing in return.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Its not "smack talk". Coward attacked a teammate and baker responded showing how he had his back.

Maybe next time they should just "stay off my lawn"

P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe the next time Baker shouldn't feed the troll.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Im curious, how many of his teammates feel that way, or feel he had OBJ's back. I pretty sure their opinion is what matters, not yours.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe you should go to training camp and take a poll and get back to me. Like they would say anything negative about it even if they disagreed.

You see, the QB is the leader of your team. He leads by example. The example here? Any time someone says something negative about you or your team mates, attack. Draw attention away from the game and to social media and the media in general. Feed the media trolls.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I'm indifferent.

The Cowherd/Baker saga reminds me of some of the posts you make because you're just trying to solicit a response. Shame on me because I keep feeding you, I reckon.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c;

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
and THAT is all that matters.

We all have our thoughts and opinions, but in the end it is THEIR thoughts and opinions that matters. Ours do not.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign S Morgan Burnett

Link Copied to Clipboard