Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1612650 04/10/19 08:51 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
As most (if not all) of you know by now, Wilson has set a deadline for the Seahawks to sign them to a new deal (this coming Monday). He said isn't planning on holding out and will play under the existing deal (this is the final year). But, I suspect it'll be a distraction all year for them. I was chatting with a friend this past weekend about the options - it was a pretty fun conversation. What would you do if you were the Seahawks?

The options I talked about were:
1) Wait until the end of the season and franchise him. With the CBA expiring after next season, it might be worth seeing what changes for the 2021 season.

2) Wait until the end of the season and determine what options to do. Similar to #1, but leaving all options on the table.

3) Knowing that the Seahawks typically offer 4 year deals to vets, offer him a 4 year deal worth 122m (30.4m/year). I come up with this number with the following logic. Tom Brady has never been more than 12.4% of the Patriots cap number. Projecting out the cap from 2020-2024 at a 5% increase (a little below average), this is 106m (26.6 m/yr) which is a nominal increase over his current deal and he'd never accept it. So I bumped it to 1/7th of the cap (14.3%). He wants to be the top paid QB in the league, but he's not the top QB in the league. I'd argue somewhere between 4 and 8 and this salary is #2 behind Rodgers. If he takes is great, if not see #1 or #2 above.

4) Trade him

My decision was #4 (#1 was my second option). Funny thing was that Peter King earlier this week proposed the same thing. I suggested calling the Raiders and offering Wilson for Carr, #24, and #27. I was told that was too much for Oakland to give up, but is it? Seattle would likely be asking for at least 2 first rounders, and Carr's value can't be more than a 2nd or 3rd at this point - so 2 late firsts and a 2nd or 3rd. Alternative deals could be Giants for #4 and #17, Miami for #13 and next year's first for example).

Maybe trading him is absurd, and maybe the suggested deal is even more absurd - but his last contract deal caused issues in the locker room, and the cap hit made them go cheap on the OL and be very pick on who they re-sign on defense. Giving him the $34m+ he wants a year would put them in cap hell for 4 more years (barring significant CBA changes increasing the cap)

What would ya'll do if you were Seattle??

And, this makes me a little nervous about Baker in a few years...

clwb419 #1612661 04/10/19 09:12 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice post.

I hate doing this, but I disagree that it is going to be a distraction. I think Russ put this out there because he doesn't want the contract discussions becoming a distraction during the season.

To answer your question..........if I were Seattle, I would try to lock Russ up long-term ASAP. Dude is a great qb.

clwb419 #1612675 04/10/19 09:28 PM
Legend
Legend
A deadline means that there's a consequence if action isn't taken by the time given. What's the consequence if he doesn't get a new deal by Monday?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
clwb419 #1612676 04/10/19 09:28 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
I meant if it isn't completed by next Monday it will be a distraction during the season. The media and fans will ensure it. I poorly worded it, but we're on the same page I think.

On your answer, even if it means $35m/year? Yes is a fine answer, but that's 16.5% of the cap for the length of the deal. It means the other 52 are combined 83.5% of the cap. Add in 2-3 other stars taking up $12-16m/year and it leaves about $2.5/year average for the other 49 players.

And a piece of info I ran across... in the last 10 years, no QB that has played in the SB has had over 12.5% of the cap.

jfanent #1612677 04/10/19 09:29 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: jfanent
A deadline means that there's a consequence if action isn't taken by the time given. What's the consequence if he doesn't get a new deal by Monday?

No negotiations until after the season. And all the distractions that will come with it.

clwb419 #1612691 04/10/19 09:58 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I'd try to sign him long-term, if I were Seattle.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Yep. I'm making sure he's a Seahawk for at least the next 2 contracts.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
clwb419 #1612745 04/11/19 01:46 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'd make Russ the highest paid QB.

Legend
Legend
I would keep him, if possible. Solid contract, multiple year if he goes uninjured this year. I think this is in front of people now. Serving notice, but this deadline is pretty short tether. Should be less distracting, but the media mites go looking for issues to gin up controversy.

I agree he is a solid QB. He may leverage more in trade for his team. But he is being open and up front about it.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
clwb419 #1612764 04/11/19 08:16 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

If you add up the last three years of their careers, Russ has more wins, yards, and TD than Aaron Rogers. Think about that. We call AR the best QB in the league, yet Russ is quietly outplaying him, every season.

I think RW deserves to be the highest paid QB in the league, and I think he will be

clwb419 #1612765 04/11/19 08:18 AM
Legend
Legend
What's the "or what" part. I mean, sign me by april 15 or else?

Is he saying, I'll leave if you don't? He's a great QB and all and if I were the team owner, I'd not want him go to. But geez?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
clwb419 #1612769 04/11/19 08:30 AM
Legend
Legend
Or else he doesn't resign with the team. He's locked in for this year, but..

Leveon Bell has already set the marker that sitting out a year can be done, and he's a running back.

Imagine a QB doing that.

Pay the man. If i were a team, i'd rather pay now than later. Price tag is only gonna get higher.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Is he saying, I'll leave if you don't? He's a great QB and all and if I were the team owner, I'd not want him go to. But geez?

As I explained earlier in the thread, I think he is simply saying that he doesn't want to negotiate during the season because it would be a distraction to the team. The issue for Seattle is that negotiating after the season isn't the best scenario for them.

Russell Wilson gets a lot of pub, but I still think he might be one of the most underrated players in the entire league. He isn't just a "solid" qb. He is one of the very best. will mentioned the stats of him and Rodgers. Take Russ away from Seattle and that team is going to be picking in the top 5 of the draft.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

If you add up the last three years of their careers, Russ has more wins, yards, and TD than Aaron Rogers. Think about that. We call AR the best QB in the league, yet Russ is quietly outplaying him, every season.

I think RW deserves to be the highest paid QB in the league, and I think he will be

He's too short, didn't you get the memo?

#GMSTRONG
clwb419 #1612788 04/11/19 09:37 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

I pulled the comparassions from 16-19 for Russ and Aaron.. . .wow.

Games: Russell Wilson 48 Aaron Rodgers 39
Wins: Russell Wilson 29 Aaron Rodgers 20
Win percentage: Russell Wilson .972 Aaron Rodgers .927
Pass Att: Russell Wilson 1526 Aaron Rodgers 1445
Completion % : Russell Wilson 63.7 Aaron Rodgers 64.2
Passing Yards: Russell Wilson 11,650 Aaron Rodgers 10,545
TD's : Russell Wilson 90 Aaron Rodgers 81
Game winning drives : Russell Wilson 9 Aaron Rodgers 7

I think Russell Wilson is one of the most underrated players in football HISTORY. And I will admit, I underrated him myself. Until I started looking at these stats maybe a couple weeks ago, I never really let what he was actually doing SINK in. I follow the entire league, but Rodgers gets all the press as far as the NFL is concerned.

I think the NFL and fans have done Russ a disservice. We are have the ability to watch GREATNESS. I am definitely going to make a habbit to tune into more SEA games this year when the browns are not playing.

Legend
Legend
J/C

I think Russell Wilson is one of the most underrated players in football HISTORY. And I will admit, I underrated him myself. Until I started looking at these stats maybe a couple weeks ago, I never really let what he was actually doing SINK in. I follow the entire league, but Rodgers gets all the press as far as the NFL is concerned.

I think the NFL and fans have done Russ a disservice. We are have the ability to watch GREATNESS. I am definitely going to make a habbit to tune into more SEA games this year when the browns are not playing.

Not sure where the stats are from, but nobody in the history of the NFL has a +900 win percentage.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
clwb419 #1612797 04/11/19 10:03 AM
Legend
Legend
He's a very good QB, but the dude might be crazy. He claims God spoke to him and that his nanobubble water heals people.

If I were the Seachickens, I'd probably want to extend him now because the CBA will probably change a lot in favor of the players. Lock him up under the current rules (assuming those carry forward until the new rules kick in).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
He's a very good QB, but the dude might be crazy. He claims God spoke to him and that his nanobubble water heals people.

If hearing from God makes a person crazy then call me crazy superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
clwb419 #1612813 04/11/19 10:47 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Russell Wilson is the type of guy you just give whatever he wants. I don’t understand why the Seahawks are messing around.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

That depends on what you mean by "hearing". If you're telling me you actually hear God's voice, literally in your brain or through your ears, then yes, you're probably crazy.

This was RW's quote, "The play happens, and they pick the ball off. And I take three steps, and on the third step God says to me, 'I'm using you ... I want to see how you respond. But most importantly, I want them to see how you respond.'"

If RW said something like, "I think that interception is God's way of testing my response", sure I get that. He'd be interpreting what just happened as a sign or message from God. But literally hearing God's voice and about a football play? Come on.

Trillions of people throughout history search for meaning and want to speak to God, but God chose a football player to break his silence regarding an interception? Sorry, not buying it.

Look, I'm not denying God's existence. I see God's work every day, some I agree with and some I don't. And I can understand someone getting an idea and then saying, "...that idea I just had must have come from God." But it's a HUGE leap from that to having God speak to that person with words, in English.

Last edited by Punchsmack; 04/11/19 11:36 AM.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
M
Legend
Legend
M

Crazy.

Tackles are tackles.
clwb419 #1612833 04/11/19 11:39 AM
Legend
Legend
Sorry, need to stay on topic. My intention wasn't to turn this into a "Does God talk to people?" thread. Seattle should be trying their hardest to extend him. As for the fake deadline, you telling me if they call the day after and offer $200M guaranteed over 5 years he's going to refuse? Please.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

As I explained earlier in the thread, I think he is simply saying that he doesn't want to negotiate during the season because it would be a distraction to the team. The issue for Seattle is that negotiating after the season isn't the best scenario for them.

Russell Wilson gets a lot of pub, but I still think he might be one of the most underrated players in the entire league. He isn't just a "solid" qb. He is one of the very best. will mentioned the stats of him and Rodgers. Take Russ away from Seattle and that team is going to be picking in the top 5 of the draft.

1. Because you explained it as you see it, doesn't make it so. I read your post,,

but:

2. What I was asking is what is the "or what"? there isn't really much he can do.

They can franchise him and then he either agrees or sits out.

That's not a big threat!

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/11/19 12:25 PM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, I have been informed that are we not to talk about race, religion, and politics in the football forums.

Russell Wilson is a very good qb and the Seahawks should properly compensate him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I apologize for trying to answer your question.

Legend
Legend

Me too.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I see it more as the deadline with which he wishes to discuss his contract. I don't feel it's intended as a threat at all. It plainly states in the OP that he doesn't plan to hold out and will play under the existing deal.

Some players actually have a team first mentality. I think that's the case here. I mean why would anyone see it as a threat when he says he is willing to play under his current contract? It seems from every indication he wants to do a deal by this coming Monday "or" wait until next off season.

I mean the way the story is given to us it does make one have to draw their own conclusion. But based on the information given I just feel he doesn't want to be distraction to the team. Thus the time constraints given.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
clwb419 #1612891 04/11/19 01:11 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Interesting comments. I see I'm the only one on the pursue a trade side of things.

For those that want to pay the man. What is too much? For example $35m/year will be about 16.5% of the cap for the length of the deal (based on current CBA and 5% increases in cap/year). If you were to have only 3 other players in the 12m-16m/year range, you'll have almost 40% of your cap allocated to 4 players. That'd leave about 2.5m average for the other 49 players, assuming there is no dead cap space and the full amount is used every year.

I agree he's a good QB, top 4-8 for sure as I said. I also agree he's at least on par or better than Rodgers. But, for one guy to take up that much cap space just to be the highest paid player is dangerous. Look at what Seattle has done since he signed his last deal - they've won 2 fewer games on average per year than his rookie deal. Why? Because they couldn't afford to re-sign good players. My point is that there's a number that makes any one player too expensive. For QB, I'm going to say 12.5% of the cap (or roughly 26.6m/year the next 4 years) based on the existing CBA and cap increasing 5%/year.

clwb419 #1612896 04/11/19 01:20 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree with the thought process involved of too much of the percentage of cap space going to the QB position. I don't disagree with the way you arrived at your 26.6 mil. salary.

But the fact is none of that is relevant. He's going to get a 30 mil per year contract. The market combined with supply in demand is what will set his fair market value. And in the end that's all that will matter.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
clwb419 #1612904 04/11/19 01:26 PM
Legend
Legend

This a no brainer.

You negotiate a long term deal. Make so that in later years he can help the team by some kind of reductions.

But he is a franchise quarterback and a deal must be made.

PitDAWG #1612906 04/11/19 01:27 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Pit my friend, you're exactly right. He will, thus why I'd consider trading him for a kings ransom. Huge gamble, and maybe a stupid one.

Not every player is Tom Brady, in the sense that he took less (or adjusted his salary often) for the sake of the team. It is almost unbelievable that he never has had more than 12.4% of his team's cap as clearly the best QB in the last 20 years. (BTW, that plus 12.4% is also the highest percentage of cap a QB has had for a superbowl team in the last 10 years)

Legend
Legend
Quote:
This was RW's quote, "The play happens, and they pick the ball off. And I take three steps, and on the third step God says to me, 'I'm using you ... I want to see how you respond. But most importantly, I want them to see how you respond.'"

I wonder if God sounds like Pete Carroll in his headset? tongue

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I wonder if God sounds like Pete Carroll in his headset? tongue

I'd say so. Maybe Wilson thinks Pete Carrol is god!?

#gmstrong
FATE #1613004 04/11/19 03:07 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: FATE
J/C

Not sure where the stats are from, but nobody in the history of the NFL has a +900 win percentage.

typo on my part

pass completions not winning percentage

winning percentage is .615 RW vs .526 AR.

clwb419 #1613111 04/11/19 06:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I might be the only guy so far that agrees with you but if I'm the Seahawks, I'd pull the trigger on that trade.

1) Most of the Seahawks' main talent is getting long in the tooth.
2) They only have about $10 mil of cap space this year.
3) While they have a ton of cap space next year, they also only have 27 guys under contract. It's going to be a blow-up year anyway.
4) Russel Wilson is 31 years old and he won't be making $30 mil a year, he'll be making $35+ mil a year. This is probably his last contract and I'd be looking for 5 yrs - $200 mil with a lot of guaranteed money if I were his agent.
5) Derek Carr is making $25 mil a year through 2023.
6) They don't have the talent this year to go far in the playoffs.
7) God blew their last Superbowl chance when he didn't call the running play with Lynch.

clwb419 #1613127 04/11/19 06:49 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would pay the man.

I can hardly believe that Wilson has played seven years already ... Boy does time fly.

He is a franchise QB with another 5 years or so left , and imo that is plenty of time to rebuild a SB contending roster around him.

[Linked Image]

C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
I've read 5 years 180m with 100m guaranteed. That being said, Seattle doesn't offer 5 year deals to vets typically, so whatever the 4 year version is.

FATE #1613229 04/12/19 06:01 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FATE
J/C

Apparently, according to those stats, Russel Wilson and Aaron Rodgers did.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Oh for crying out loud, sometimes you are so childish

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:
Apparently, according to those stats, Russel Wilson and Aaron Rodgers did.

He corrected his mistake. No harm done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Russell Wilson

Link Copied to Clipboard