Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1614369 04/16/19 08:00 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Brian Burns is a name that seems to be falling a bit lately. He has great highlights, but also some lowlights. If he falls enough, I think he might be an interesting fit for us.

His troubles mainly come from being overpowered. However, he looked really fluid in the movement drills at the combine and Florida State played him as a stand up LB at times in goal line situations.

I could see us using him similarly to how we used Avery last season.

There might be an adjustment period in coverage, but he showed good hands and has the length to tighten throwing windows. Maybe trying to bulk him up isn't the way to go.

In some ways he reminds me of Mingo, if Mingo was actually a good pass rusher. We started using him as more of a coverage guy the longer he was here.

Being able to send Burns' speed and bend off the edge in spots could be nice.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1614402 04/16/19 10:06 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that Burns best fit will be as a 34 edge. I haven't seen where he seems to be falling ... PFFs' head to head mock Draft has him going to Miami @ pick 13.

I don't see him as a good fit in our scheme, where he would offer little else besides being a PRS. With that said I think that he is going to be a good player in the right scheme.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1614433 04/16/19 11:10 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
I think that Burns best fit will be as a 34 edge. I haven't seen where he seems to be falling ... PFFs' head to head mock Draft has him going to Miami @ pick 13.

I don't see him as a good fit in our scheme, where he would offer little else besides being a PRS. With that said I think that he is going to be a good player in the right scheme.

3-4 could be a good fit. I kind of like him behind 4 down linemen to keep the big bodies off him, though.

I think he could possibly be a good matchup in coverage for bigger TE's. His movement skills looked really good at the combine.

Speed rush would definitely be his signature skill.

I'm thinking possibly he and Avery at OLB in base D with Schobert in the middle. We wouldn't necessarily be in it a ton, so we could somewhat bring him along slowly. Letting him focus on what he does best early.

Both he and Avery are guys you can move around to try to exploit matchups.

Some of the "falling" may be wishful thinking on my part. I've been seeing more looks at his negatives recently.

That 13 pick is kind of what I was looking at. Would you start thinking about it there? I've seen us tied to the Dolphins potentially, at least in theory. Some people had him just behind Bosa for awhile as far as edges. Now he seems to be fading a bit behind Sweat, Allen, etc. I just saw him at 16 on Walterfootball and they had a blurb about some teams having him as a day 2 guy. Not an ironclad source, but I could see that being within the realm of possibility.

The QBs are the wild cards. They could push guys down. Cardinals, Raiders, Giants, Broncos, Bengals, Dolphins could all have QB in play.

There also aren't a ton of 3-4 teams in the top half of the draft that have an obvious need at rusher. Green Bay just gave a couple big contracts. His size might concern 4-3 teams enough for them to go with more traditional profiles.

Just my recent wistful thinking. Been thinking about our LBs more. Not seeing a ton of players there I'm that interested in this draft. There are some nice ILB's but they'll go early and we have Schobert. If you're looking for 4-3 OLBs, pickings are kind of slim.

There is a lot of projection there with Burns, but he has a pretty unique skillset. Being "off the ball" would mitigate some of his size concerns, and it's always nice to get more pass rush on the field.

I kind of wonder if football might head the way of basketball and move towards a more "positionless" future.

If teams try to spread us out to exploit him in space he could still slide down to end.

A lot of this speculation would rely on us putting him through more LB work. The combine gave me the idea that he could do it. He'd have to make Dorsey think that he actually can. In my mind, he could possibly be an ideal modern day SAM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1614440 04/16/19 11:27 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Place I use a lot has Burns ear marked at #24 rank in the draft. They will make a final ranking day before the draft and are pretty good. Especially their top 50.

jmho don't really know the kid right now I don't think we have too many edge guys on the look out for our team.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Bull_Dawg #1614620 04/16/19 09:23 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

3-4 could be a good fit. I kind of like him behind 4 down linemen to keep the big bodies off him, though.

I think he could possibly be a good matchup in coverage for bigger TE's. His movement skills looked really good at the combine.

Speed rush would definitely be his signature skill.

I'm thinking possibly he and Avery at OLB in base D with Schobert in the middle. We wouldn't necessarily be in it a ton, so we could somewhat bring him along slowly. Letting him focus on what he does best early.

Both he and Avery are guys you can move around to try to exploit matchups.

Some of the "falling" may be wishful thinking on my part. I've been seeing more looks at his negatives recently.

That 13 pick is kind of what I was looking at. Would you start thinking about it there? I've seen us tied to the Dolphins potentially, at least in theory. Some people had him just behind Bosa for awhile as far as edges. Now he seems to be fading a bit behind Sweat, Allen, etc. I just saw him at 16 on Walterfootball and they had a blurb about some teams having him as a day 2 guy. Not an ironclad source, but I could see that being within the realm of possibility.

The QBs are the wild cards. They could push guys down. Cardinals, Raiders, Giants, Broncos, Bengals, Dolphins could all have QB in play.

There also aren't a ton of 3-4 teams in the top half of the draft that have an obvious need at rusher. Green Bay just gave a couple big contracts. His size might concern 4-3 teams enough for them to go with more traditional profiles.

Just my recent wistful thinking. Been thinking about our LBs more. Not seeing a ton of players there I'm that interested in this draft. There are some nice ILB's but they'll go early and we have Schobert. If you're looking for 4-3 OLBs, pickings are kind of slim.

There is a lot of projection there with Burns, but he has a pretty unique skillset. Being "off the ball" would mitigate some of his size concerns, and it's always nice to get more pass rush on the field.

I kind of wonder if football might head the way of basketball and move towards a more "positionless" future.

If teams try to spread us out to exploit him in space he could still slide down to end.

A lot of this speculation would rely on us putting him through more LB work. The combine gave me the idea that he could do it. He'd have to make Dorsey think that he actually can. In my mind, he could possibly be an ideal modern day SAM.

Anything is possible, but I don't see Burns falling passed the Giants @17.

He would be a good replacement for Oliver Vernon imo ... And is probably a better fit for their 34 defense.
The Redskins might be another team looking for an edge @15 too.

The Steelers @20?

As of today we have but 7 LBs' on the roster and a few of them might not make the final roster, so I will be surprised if we did not try and address the need (for a WILL imo) in the Draft.

[Linked Image]

Bull_Dawg #1614648 04/17/19 05:10 AM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C - I think one of the 3-4 teams will pick him up.

He's 6-5, 249 - he still has some room to grow. He ran a 4.53 40 at the combine, plus a 129 broad jump, 36" vert and a 7.01 3 cone drill.

I think he could add 15 lbs and STILL be as explosive off the edge as he has demonstrated.

I agree that whilst at this point in time he will solely be a PRS on passing downs, he could end up being the best pure edge rusher in the class, either as 4-3 end or a 3-4 OLB - I think his ceiling is that high. Sure, he needs to add some weight to anchor and seal but that can be trained up. His twitch and explosion are elite IMHO.

If we somehow picked him up, he could play snaps this year behind Oliver and Garrett. I think looking next year and beyond - Garrett and Burns - man, that would be a crazy pass rush duo. I'd love to pick him up but I don't see him falling past Pitt.

Last edited by drobs; 04/17/19 05:17 AM.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season 2019 NFL Draft Brian Burns

Link Copied to Clipboard