Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: eotab
Because of the suspension we might wait for the Trade Deadline. When is that cause everything I come up with just stops with SEASON STARTS..September and they don't go further.

Last year it was in October so 5-6 games into the season.

We could wait till then. Also at that time Draft picks are at its lowest value a team might be desperate because of injuries and we could get TOP draft Dollar for him at that time!!!

Then all we got to do is wait 2 more games of suspension for HUNT.

jmho

The release of 2019 schedule might be important factor. I think it's April 19th.

Legend
Legend
Funny but I asked this very same question earlier in this thread... Don't remember getting an answer.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I was reading about how the Cowboys are going to be looking for a #2 RB and I once again thought of Duke Johnson.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cowboys-going-looking-no-2-104939924.html

I think there is a good chance that Duke will be traded the night before--or during the draft--this year.

As discussed earlier, I hope it is for a player rather than a late round draft pick. I brought up Sean Lee's name earlier and I think he could be of some help for us.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm sure we will do our best to accomodate Duke's request. But I think once the season starts he will be gungho.

I can see us trading him at around the trade deadline that is when teams will have key injuries and some with their RB.
That also is when the Draft picks have their least value to a team so we can get a good deal.

Also I really think we need Duke until Hunt's suspension is over. That is why we won't dump him for nothing. If somebody offers us a trade that we cannot refuse before the draft but if you are talking back up RB...we are looking at a 5th, 6th 7th round offer.

I don't think we will dump him like that. I hope/think we will keep him and he will have the same role as last year. I think in Kitchen's first game Duke had 9 receptions.

But in this period while Hunt is suspended Duke will put up some great numbers especially in the passing game.

If he still wants to go we will get a good return for him even if its like 2 games left of the suspension.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
just me, but I'd rather hold onto him for his salary instead of getting a 5th round pick or whatever, especially whne Hunt's out

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Dukes value to the Browns is I'm sure a lot higher than any value he has in the league when it comes to trades.

With that being said, I'm sure there is a chance we trade Duke during the draft. I'd like to assume if we make a deal then, it must be a pretty good deal (better than low draft pick) for both teams involved.

If the deal isn't great, I'd keep him until the trade deadline. We may only get a 5th or 6th round pick, but he'll contribute to the teams success until then.

Again, Duke is an asset to this team. I hope we use him for as long as we have him. And personally, I'd like to hold on to him as long as possible.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I've said Duke would be a draft day trade from the time we signed Hunt. Has to be a win-win for both teams and it depends on each teams board. I see us swapping our 4th for a higher 4th or low 3rd.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
i mean we could do that, but I just don't see it from a logical standpoint ... I'd hold onto him unless we got a REALLY nice offer, which I doubt

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
once howard got traded for basically a ham sandwich, Duke because worthless in a trade. He still has value to the team..much more so than a 6th or 7th pick in a future draft.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it goes a long way to send a message to players around the league that if a player wants to be traded, that a team facilitate a trade. Sending a message to players across the NFL if you want to be traded but the Browns will hold you hostage, isn't a message you want to send.

I don't think that means you should give a player away, but you really need to work on granting him his way out of town if that's what he wants. The NFL isn't like most jobs. It's not like there's a huge pool of employees to pick from. Sending the proper message to players across the league is worth more than some may wish to acknowledge.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I was reading about how the Cowboys are going to be looking for a #2 RB and I once again thought of Duke Johnson.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cowboys-going-looking-no-2-104939924.html

I think there is a good chance that Duke will be traded the night before--or during the draft--this year.

As discussed earlier, I hope it is for a player rather than a late round draft pick. I brought up Sean Lee's name earlier and I think he could be of some help for us.

I'm not sure paying $7 million for an oft injured, 32 year old LB who had been contemplating retirement is a good return for Duke.

Sean Lee retirement talk link

I'm not completely disregarding the idea. I'm just not sure how much he has left.

I'm not sure if Dallas has anybody else we might be interested in or not.

Don't think we'd be interested in Gregory after the Gordon saga, and I'm not even sure if you can trade for a suspended player.

Not a lot of other names jump out at me.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No Pitt, I don't agree players run from failure not from being held hostage.

I certainly understand and I think even Duke would say he understands if the Browns hold on to him while waiting for Hunt to come off suspension.

The Browns IMO need to hold onto Duke and trade him when it makes sense for the Browns to do so. He will be a valuable asset until Hunt returns, then maybe not so much.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well there's certainly two ways to look at it. I don't discount the other side in the way you proposed it.

I just look at it this way. You can refuse to honor his wishes which sends a message to players across the league. IMO this may be a factor whether they wish to come to Cleveland. That may have a negative future impact. It seems to me Dorsey has tried to make Cleveland the most attractive place for players to come in the short time span he has had to work with. To me this would send the opposite message.

Or, you can look at the very short term and do what's right for the moment and not look at the big picture of the message you are sending around the league.

I think I did address the fact that I agree we just shouldn't give him away. That wouldn't be smart either. But if you can find a deal that is reasonable, the sooner the better I think would be the best conclusion to reach for a player who doesn't want to be here.

I'm not sure I understand your "rum from failure" comment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
First let me say that I love Duke and would love to keep him, but I feel Dorsey like's Hilliard a lot and of course Hunt comes back in week 9, so IMO Duke will get traded just before the draft or as a chip to move up in the late 1st early 2nd if the player Dorsey wants is there. Nevertheless Duke will be traded … JMHO

Last edited by PastorMarc; 04/18/19 11:33 AM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Duke's value is probably a conditional 5th to 7th rounder

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Duke's value is probably a conditional 5th to 7th rounder

And that is why a player for player trade would make much more sense.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Based on your thoughts that the Cowboys could be in play for Duke, I would agree a player for player might be in the mix. I don't think Dallas has a lot of picks this year. I know they already traded their 1st rounder.

I also don't think we signed Duke to be traded for a 7th rd pick. If it happens to be for a pick, I'd have to think the minimum would at least be a 5th. Duke may warrant a new contract upon trading, but he's still under contract for the next 3 years. I think that holds some value... getting a RB with little wear and tear for 3 years might be worth more than a 7th, or at least should be (but I'm not an expert).

I can see a trade come draft time if for some reason the player we want (I suspect safety, but could be anyone) ends up being drafted before we can get to him. And we trade away Duke to add that position of need instead of drafting.

If we do trade Duke for a pick, I'd imagine it would be something like Duke and a 6th for a 4th rd pick, which in essence is just trading Duke to move up. Dorsey seems to do this a lot.

Legend
Legend

Lost in all that surrounds Duke is how Dorsey and the staff view Hilliard?

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/04/18/whats-right-about-the-cleveland-browns-dontrell-hilliard/

I fully expect Duke to be traded between now and the end of the draft.

I think it will be part of a package to either move up or for a another player. Moving Duke for a late round pick serves no purpose. Keeping him is worth more.

If he is retained after the draft. It is because the right deal could not be made.

Then it makes sense to keep him till week eight. During that time it is close to 100 percent that some back will get injured and Duke's value in trade will become important.

Legend
Legend
John Dorsey calls Duke Johnson 'vital part' of Browns offense, no push to trade the RB
https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/...o-trade-the-rb/

One of the more pressing questions around the 2019 Cleveland Browns is the fate of running back Duke Johnson. The team’s top receiver in 2017 and a fan favorite, Johnson saw his workload decline precipitously under Freddie Kitchens once the now-head coach took control of the Browns offense midway through 2018. He’s firmly behind Nick Chubb on the depth chart, and once Kareem Hunt returns from his suspension he will vault Johnson as well.

Johnson has asked the team for a trade, but for the second time in as many months Browns GM John Dorsey reiterated that he sees no reason why he should dump Duke. Dorsey addressed it again in his pre-draft press conference on Thursday.

“No, when you sit down with Freddie (Kitchens) and the coaching staff, they see him as a vital part of this offense moving forward,” Dorsey responded when asked if he was ready to part ways with Johnson. “He’s a good playmaker.”

Dorsey later acknowledged he has had some discussion with other teams about possible trades but doesn’t see any rush to move on.

“He understands the role that he’s going to play within this offense, and that’s what’s important because Duke, everybody knows, is a very talented playmaker, and I look forward to seeing him on the field on Sundays,” Dorsey said. “He’s really good and he’s going to help this offense move forward.”

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Dorsey is certainly saying all the right things.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
John Dorsey calls Duke Johnson 'vital part' of Browns offense, no push to trade the RB
https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/...o-trade-the-rb/

John's playing chess, not checkers. He may have plans to trade him or not, but he isn't going to give any hints to that right now.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, Duke put Dorsey in a tough spot when he asked for a trade. Keeping a disgruntled veteran on a team that has a losing tradition and is looking to make giant strides is not ideal.

Yet, Duke effectively diminished his trade value when he said he wanted to be traded.

I have seen posters saying we should keep Duke until the trade deadline. I think that would be good because of Hunt's situation. I do have a question though:

Does anyone know if teams receiver more or less compensation if they trade a guy at the trade deadline as opposed to trading a guy on draft day?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Dorsey is certainly saying all the right things.

I agree. Trying to build value. Letting teams know this isn't a fire sale.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I have seen posters saying we should keep Duke until the trade deadline. I think that would be good because of Hunt's situation. I do have a question though:

Does anyone know if teams receiver more or less compensation if they trade a guy at the trade deadline as opposed to trading a guy on draft day?

My first thought is less. However, if a team is desperate due to injury and/or thinking they are one play-maker away, a team may give a little more.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Those were my thoughts, as well. But, I don't really follow those types of things and didn't want to put out false information.

Excuse my manners............Thank you.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 04/18/19 09:02 PM. Reason: Manners
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

My first thought is less. However, if a team is desperate due to injury and/or thinking they are one play-maker away, a team may give a little more.

It is usually more, because of the reasons that you mentioned, but sometimes it winds up as a cut because nobody is interested. RB's are already undervalued by the league, so the risk of getting nothing is greater.
Personally because of Hunt's suspension, I would take the risk. Duke will give us production that we can't buy elsewhere and if we aren't getting good offers, we aren't risking a big loss.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That makes sense.

The one thing to consider that might make one change their mind is that a disgruntled player who loved his usage under Hue and is not being used as much by the new coach could prove to be disruptive. That carries more weight on a young team.

Not saying that will happen, but it could.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep,that's always a risk, but I don't think Duke is that type of guy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He doesn't seem to be, but the request for a trade is something to consider.

And Dep, I am not disagreeing w/you. Just trying to sort things out by looking at things from different angles. You made solid points.

Legend
Legend
Totally agree.... unless we get great value for him during the draft I don't trade him until the deadline...And again only if we get a good deal.... no need to trade him unles he's acting like a cancer in the locker room... which he's shown no signs that he would

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly agree with you. I just wonder what the difference may be in what the league and Dorsey consider a good deal verses what the fan base sees as a good deal? They may be vastly different.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah I know I wanted Lee as a mentor to our LB staff and be in that LB room as well as a good player for a game or so or possibly in the playoffs getting more reps. But if he's going to retire. Maybe give a 7th round pick for him and if he retires we get the pick back.

But I see value in him as a field general or a mentor to make Schobert the best there is as well as helping Kirksey and Avery. or any rookies we add.

Dukes value has to be before the trade deadline, he is going to have some good stats in Receptions and TDs as we spread the field giving him a lot of room to do his thing. The value for draft picks at that time is not as important as improving your team and if we get the right team who has an injured go to RB he can bring a lot more in return with a draft pick. If we can get a 3rd round pick for him that would be a good trade and as mentioned we need him as we wait for the Hunt suspension to pass. Also got to figure a week or two before he is at game mode 100%.

So waiting for the Trade deadline we might get a trade partner who has a little desperation and we would be closer to the suspension period being over so that we would only have to go with Hilliard in that role or a rookie for just a few games.

If we trade Duke now for Draft picks...6th round is about what you can expect.

As Vers said probably the best bet is Player for Player...I doubt we get something like Randall for Kizer but we can get somebody that is worth more than a 6th round pick.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
That makes sense.

The one thing to consider that might make one change their mind is that a disgruntled player who loved his usage under Hue and is not being used as much by the new coach could prove to be disruptive. That carries more weight on a young team.

I might be mistaken, but Duke started complaining when Hue was still the coach. Yes his carries were down with Freddie, but his disenchantment started before Hue was fired.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually the reports came out early this spring not long after the Browns signed Hunt.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Let's count the times Hue said they need to get the ball to Duke more....

Legend
Legend
So, Duke with us until half-season or so, assuming Chubb is healthy. I was glad to read Dorsey showed DJ in a complimentary light. He is a playmaker. Judging him much by Huey's failure metrics can't be accurate.

Hope to see us find a way to use him. if he has to go, get something decent for him.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He doesn't seem to be, but the request for a trade is something to consider.

And Dep, I am not disagreeing w/you. Just trying to sort things out by looking at things from different angles. You made solid points.

I think we are pretty close on this. Anyone speculating on whether or not he'll raise a stink is just guessing at this point.

If right now all we can get is a 6th or 7th rounder, I'll take that risk. If he raises a stink, then we can just cut him.

I'd rather try to get some games out of him and then trade him to a team more desperate.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

WP
"Going into the 2018 season, Johnson shared the backfield with Carlos Hyde and rookie Nick Chubb. Through the first six games, Johnson retained his familiar role as a runner and catcher totaling 111 rushing yards and 14 receptions for 164 receiving yards. Before Week 7, Hyde was traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

--^Hue Jackson\Todd Haley era

In Week 9, against the Kansas City Chiefs, he had nine receptions for 78 yards and two touchdowns in the 37–21 loss. Overall, he finished the 2018 season with 201 rushing yards to go along with 47 receptions for 429 yards and three touchdowns."

Johnson had his best game of the year in Freddie's first game as OC.

So I don't follow the logic of him being less involved in 2018, then before Hue Jackson was fired.

The trend begins with us acquiring more Playmakers.

With the Draft upcoming ... working on a trade for DJ is probably not on the to do list for the FO.

If we can not do a player for player trade, then the best we could expect would be a 6th round 2020 selection after the draft.

On the other hand ... The Browns might be forced into drafting a RB where they might have otherwise not considered one on their board.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/19/19 05:24 PM.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
That makes sense.

I might be mistaken, but Duke started complaining when Hue was still the coach. Yes his carries were down with Freddie, but his disenchantment started before Hue was fired.

I probably wasn't clear. I was talking about when Hue called the plays in the two previous years. Duke had a high usage rate in those two years when you compare him to backs w/a similar skill set. As I accurately predicted, Duke's usage decreased once Haley was in charge of the offense and for the most part continued under Freddie.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
then the best we could expect would be a 6th round 2020 selection after the draft.

a dramatically lesser FO managed to get a 1st for Trent Richardson.

Never low-ball your own value.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Duke Johnson asks to be traded

Link Copied to Clipboard