Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26587040/sources-clark-dealt-chiefs-1055m-deal

The Kansas City Chiefs added a significant piece to their defensive rebuild on Tuesday by trading a pair of draft picks to the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for defensive end Frank Clark, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

Clark, who had yet to sign the $17.128 million franchise tag given to him by the Seahawks, has agreed to a five-year, $105.5 million deal that includes $63.5 million guaranteed, sources told Schefter.

The Chiefs parted with their 2019 first-round draft choice, which is 29th overall, and will send the lower of their two 2020 second-round draft picks to the Seahawks, sources told ESPN. The teams also will exchange third-round picks this year, sources told ESPN.

2019 NFL DRAFT

When: Thursday-Saturday
Where: Nashville, Tennessee
How to watch: ABC/ESPN/ESPN App
• McShay's draft buzz: What he's hearing »
• Kiper vs. McShay three-round mock »
• Complete draft order: Picks 1-254 »
• In-depth stories on the top prospects »
• Picking best NFL fits for the top QBs »
• More NFL draft coverage »

Now that an agreement on a long-term deal is in place, Clark will fly to Kansas City to take a physical and finalize the trade, sources told ESPN.

Clark has 35 sacks in his four NFL seasons, including a team-high 13 with the Seahawks last season.

The Chiefs had one of the NFL's worst defenses last season, and that liability kept them from the franchise's first Super Bowl in 49 years. The Chiefs lost 37-31 in overtime in the AFC Championship Game to New England after losing the coin flip to begin the extra time and failing to stop the Patriots from driving for the winning touchdown.

The Chiefs started their defensive rebuild shortly afterward by replacing most of their defensive staff, including longtime coordinator Bob Sutton. He was replaced by Steve Spagnuolo, who changed the base defensive system from to a 4-3 from a 3-4.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Chiefs cleared out three of their best defensive players in safety Eric Berry and linebackers Justin Houston and Dee Ford, who was designated with the franchise tag and then traded to the San Francisco 49ers for a second-round pick in 2020. The Chiefs then signed or traded for five new starters, most notably Clark and safety Tyrann Mathieu.

Before the trade, the Seahawks had a league-low four picks in this year's draft.

Clark also had four forced fumbles and an interception last season, and he added another sack in a wild-card playoff loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

His 33 sacks since 2016 ranks ninth in the league, and his 2,045 defensive snaps in that span are fewer than the eight players ahead of him, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. Of the 21 players with at least 25 sacks since 2016, Clark's average of a sack every 63.9 snaps ranks seventh.

The Seahawks recently added defensive ends Cassius Marsh and Nate Orchard in free agency. Dion Jordan, who spent the past two seasons with Seattle, remains unsigned.

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson became the highest-paid player in the NFL when he signed a four-year, $140 million contract extension with the team last week.

ESPN's Brady Henderson contributed to this report.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
C
Legend
Legend
C
This seems to be a great deal for the Seahawks. They get to try and build some depth with cheap contracts alongside Russell Wilson's big deal. The Chiefs are all the way in, they better hope Tyreek Hill can play.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
that's just crazy amount of draft picks for one player and throw in his contract... ouch

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
boy did the Chiefs overpay.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let's see the structure but man, I get it Frank Clark is better than Dee Ford, but is he this much better? Very questionable decision.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Swapping DE for DE (2nd Rd.) and a #1 Pick superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just goes to show how much they were virtue signaling by cutting Kareem Hunt.

Have not even talked about Tyreke Hill and traded for Frank Clark. lol

Legend
Legend
So the Seahawks got pick #29 overall, pick # 63, and #92, for Clark on a long term deal, and pick # 84.

I don't see that as some ridiculously bad deal for the Chiefs.

In the end, they got a pass rusher they feel will better suit their defense, and they have up the above pick, and get back a 2020 2nd as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
get back a 2020 2nd as well.

The only thing they are getting back is a third round pick swap.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
that's just crazy amount of draft picks for one player and throw in his contract... ouch

Yet another "Good 4 Us".

They best hope this Kat stays clean.

Legend
Legend
Maybe I wasn't clear, I was taking about the whole situation, including the Ford trade.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
...That week 6 game is looking a little easier for us.

Who do the Seahawks have on D any more?

No Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, Bennett, and now Clark.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The best Middle Linebacker in football.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG
The best Middle Linebacker in football.

Apparently, they also have a thing for our castoffs: Meder, Mingo, Kendricks, Currie (I think it's the same guy), Orchard, and Simeon Thomas.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
has agreed to a five-year, $105.5 million deal that includes $63.5 million guaranteed

My only question is whether he signed that with Seattle before the trade or with KC after.

If before, that's a bit of a win for KC as any signing bonus money is on the Seahawks.
If after, KC just robbed themselves, unless they somehow see him as the thing that finishes off their defense, which is unlikely given they just tore apart and revamped their front 7 due to switching scheme.

Pure Craziness.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Quote:
has agreed to a five-year, $105.5 million deal that includes $63.5 million guaranteed

My only question is whether he signed that with Seattle before the trade or with KC after.

If before, that's a bit of a win for KC as any signing bonus money is on the Seahawks.
If after, KC just robbed themselves, unless they somehow see him as the thing that finishes off their defense, which is unlikely given they just tore apart and revamped their front 7 due to switching scheme.

Pure Craziness.

Pretty sure it was "as part" of the trade, and KC is on the hook.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seahawks were only 10 mil under the cap before Wilson signed his deal. It's one of the reasons that they traded Clark. He signed after.

Legend
Legend
Dorsey would never have made that deal.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Dorsey would never have made that deal.

A top 10 DE in his prime for basically 2 second rounders? I think he'd have considered it.

The 1st rounder is pick 29 this year. Next year's 2nd could be pick 64. They actually moved up in the 3rd, right? I'm still kind of wrapping my head around it.

The contract is the part I'm not sure of. Since we have Myles (who we'll have to pay) and Vernon (who we are paying,) fitting that contract might not make sense.

I'm not a fan of his off the field stuff, but that doesn't seem to scare Dorsey away.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
They get to try and build some depth with cheap contracts alongside Russell Wilson's big deal.

That's one of the big problems with giving a QB a huge contract. I hope the Browns use Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, and Matthew Stafford as examples when Baker's contract comes up in a few years. Contrast those contracts to guys like Rivers and Brady. "You can either get paid, or get wins. Pick one."

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
They get to try and build some depth with cheap contracts alongside Russell Wilson's big deal.

That's one of the big problems with giving a QB a huge contract. I hope the Browns use Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, and Matthew Stafford as examples when Baker's contract comes up in a few years. Contrast those contracts to guys like Rivers and Brady. "You can either get paid, or get wins. Pick one."

And then what happens if he says get paid? Let him walk and go back into the QB wilderness?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And then what happens if he says get paid? Let him walk and go back into the QB wilderness?

Plan C

Wait till he wakes up feeling generous.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Plan C

Wait till he wakes up feeling generous.

And hope in the meantime he doesn’t wake up feeling contagious.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Obviously, you pay him. It's just about making him self-aware of his decision. That way he can't exactly come back in two seasons and complain about the team around him.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
j/c

Dorsey would have never done that deal.

it makes the Dee Ford trade look REALLY bad.

Clark has a history of domestic violence issues and telling reporters they suck and will end up without a job and cleaning their fish tank.

They gave up a 1st, 2nd, and $20 mil in cap, for 9 sacks a year.

You could have drafted a DE and had him at 2-3 mil a year for 5 years. vs 20 mill for 5 years.

KC missing John Dorsey Right now.

Look at what we gave up for one of the top 3 receivers in the NFL.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26587040/sources-clark-dealt-chiefs-1055m-deal

The Kansas City Chiefs added a significant piece to their defensive rebuild on Tuesday by trading a pair of draft picks to the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for defensive end Frank Clark, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

Clark, who had yet to sign the $17.128 million franchise tag given to him by the Seahawks, has agreed to a five-year, $105.5 million deal that includes $63.5 million guaranteed, sources told Schefter.

The Chiefs parted with their 2019 first-round draft choice, which is 29th overall, and will send the lower of their two 2020 second-round draft picks to the Seahawks, sources told ESPN. The teams also will exchange third-round picks this year, sources told ESPN.

2019 NFL DRAFT

When: Thursday-Saturday
Where: Nashville, Tennessee
How to watch: ABC/ESPN/ESPN App
• McShay's draft buzz: What he's hearing »
• Kiper vs. McShay three-round mock »
• Complete draft order: Picks 1-254 »
• In-depth stories on the top prospects »
• Picking best NFL fits for the top QBs »
• More NFL draft coverage »

Now that an agreement on a long-term deal is in place, Clark will fly to Kansas City to take a physical and finalize the trade, sources told ESPN.

Clark has 35 sacks in his four NFL seasons, including a team-high 13 with the Seahawks last season.

The Chiefs had one of the NFL's worst defenses last season, and that liability kept them from the franchise's first Super Bowl in 49 years. The Chiefs lost 37-31 in overtime in the AFC Championship Game to New England after losing the coin flip to begin the extra time and failing to stop the Patriots from driving for the winning touchdown.

The Chiefs started their defensive rebuild shortly afterward by replacing most of their defensive staff, including longtime coordinator Bob Sutton. He was replaced by Steve Spagnuolo, who changed the base defensive system from to a 4-3 from a 3-4.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Chiefs cleared out three of their best defensive players in safety Eric Berry and linebackers Justin Houston and Dee Ford, who was designated with the franchise tag and then traded to the San Francisco 49ers for a second-round pick in 2020. The Chiefs then signed or traded for five new starters, most notably Clark and safety Tyrann Mathieu.

Before the trade, the Seahawks had a league-low four picks in this year's draft.

Clark also had four forced fumbles and an interception last season, and he added another sack in a wild-card playoff loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

His 33 sacks since 2016 ranks ninth in the league, and his 2,045 defensive snaps in that span are fewer than the eight players ahead of him, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. Of the 21 players with at least 25 sacks since 2016, Clark's average of a sack every 63.9 snaps ranks seventh.

The Seahawks recently added defensive ends Cassius Marsh and Nate Orchard in free agency. Dion Jordan, who spent the past two seasons with Seattle, remains unsigned.

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson became the highest-paid player in the NFL when he signed a four-year, $140 million contract extension with the team last week.

ESPN's Brady Henderson contributed to this report.

These are the type of deals you have to make when you pay your QB big money. Thank god Dorsey realizes this, and is loading up the roster around Baker before we sell the farm for him after his rookie contract.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. The time to build your roster is when your good young qb is on his rookie contract, even if some don't agree.

Btw-------this trade makes the OBJ trade even more appealing.

Legend
Legend
Incredible amount. Way more in picks/money than he is worth IMO. Good for him, but the value you need to find in something overpriced is hard to sort out for me.

I was astonished at the guarantee especially. Hats off to the agent.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
that's a hefty price

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
they could have kept Ford and Houston for about the same amount of money and kept their draft picks in their pockets.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Winner!

And I commend you on your use of "could have" instead of "could of."

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sources: Clark dealt to Chiefs, has $105.5M deal

Link Copied to Clipboard