Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend
We need a bagful of hammers on defense and this is one. The kid hits. The larger half of tackling is wanting to. He seems to want to get after it. I don't remember seeing him play.

raises the bar for intensity; plus motor?

Last edited by Bard Dawg; 04/27/19 03:54 AM.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
What is that?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

A guy that Depo and staff would like. A case of the metrics and tape matching?

It looks like we drafted him early, but Wolfe said he was the highest rated player on our board. Something had to put him so high on our board. Who knows, maybe we drafted him a pick or two ahead of some other team who had him that high.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I watched the presser where Wolf talked about Takitaki, and he specifically mentioned being wowed by his game against Wisconsin. Here's a cutup of that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xT3Acc3E_k

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
I remember watching the Wisconsin game...Takitaki and the big DE for BYU dismantled the Wisconsin offense.

Only time I've seen him play, but I do remember him.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am getting ready to go for my 6 mile Saturday walk, so I can't watch any of the tape, but your personal testimonials are encouraging.

I fell asleep before the 3rd round pick and woke up around 2:30. Checked my phone and saw we drafted the kid. My thought was What is that? LOL. Now reading about him I am encouraged as the scouting on him seems solid and the metrics are solid.

I will trust our scouting and metrics guys and hope the guy becomes a stud.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Oh, after re-watching the tape, he wasn't too great that game...he did have some splash plays.

That #90 DE for BYU was dominant though; I remember that.

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 04/27/19 07:58 AM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Eliot Wolf...speaking of S.Tak..."he plays with violence"...

I like that...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
One reason to be poor at shedding blocks: the guy blocking has a hundred pounds on you. Am I making too much of his size? Especially his weight?

Kaluka Maiavia, remember him, was in the 230's I believe.

somebodys got some explaining.

A tuff pill to swallow, A tuff pill to swallow at #80 overall.

trying to hold my tongue.

tuff pill to swallow.

Devin white, the #5 pick, us the same size. Not comparing their play, but his size is fine.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Does that 6 mile walk involve a little white ball?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

With the 80th overall selection in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns selected linebacker, Sione Takitaki. Sione addressed the media immediately following his selection.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Didn't EO mention that he might be a SS candidate? That got me to thinking, doesn't Wilks use a hybrid SS/LB position? The position that Burnett didn't want to play in Pittspuke.

Could this be the player the team has identified to fill that role?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He actually kind of reminds me of Avery. Can do a little bit of everything.

He was an undersized DE until this season, so he should only get better at LB. He seems to have progressed over the season and capped it off with 19 tackles in his bowl game.

Takitaki also played some fullback at BYU.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gives a good interview. Hard to judge sincerity in text, though.

draftwire: prospect interview Sione Takitaki, BYU

Quote:
If your favorite team is looking for a steal of a linebacker in the 2019 NFL draft, BYU’s Sione Takitaki might just be your man.

A versatile prospect with a well-rounded skill set, Takitaki recently spoke exclusively with Draft Wire about his unique journey at BYU, why his passion for the game and help from his wife helped keep him on the path to success, and what kind of skill set he brings to the next level.

ZH: I read that you were recruited by a ton of schools that included Wisconsin, Washington State, and Utah. Why did you end up choosing BYU?

ST: I grew up LDS, I grew up a Mormon kid, so BYU was always one of the schools that I was always looking at, because my mom and my family wanted me to go there. So that was the main reason why I decided to attend BYU.

ZH: You struggled a bit early in your career with some off-field issues, but really turned that around the last two seasons. What was the key to really turning your life around?

ST: I just really loved the game. I really loved football, I met my wife on that journey, and you know from a maturity standpoint, I got my head on right and like I said, I want to be a football player. I know I have a big opportunity and it was all in my hands, so I finally just screwed my head on right and attacked it.

ZH: How difficult was it to manage your time between your marriage, schoolwork, and football those last few years at BYU?

ST: It was difficult. BYU is a great university and you really have to prepare for the schoolwork and all that stuff. It’s all about priorities you know and managing your time. Once I leave the facility, I can leave football there, and like I said, it’s all about time management.

ZH: That turnaround was evident when you were named team captain in 2018. What did it mean to you to receive that honor after all you’ve been through?

ST: It meant a lot just because I stuck it out with them at BYU. I had a lot of friends and coaches that have helped me, so when I got that team captain, it kind of felt good because I was close with my teammates in the locker room. I felt like it was just a big step for my final year, and I thank God for all of that.

ZH: On the field, you made the transition from defensive end to linebacker this past year. Was that position change difficult for you?

ST: Prior to 2017, I played 3-4 outside linebacker, so that’s where coaches got to putting me at DE because I was rushing quite a bit, so I made the switch. And then in 2018, I went back to stack linebacker, middle linebacker/outside backer. To answer your question, though, it wasn’t too difficult at all. I’ve always rushed and known how to play physical, so I learned a lot from both positions, and I’m happy that I played DE and linebacker.

ZH: After that great senior season, you were invited to the East-West Shrine Game. How was that experience for you?
ST: It was awesome, man. I met a lot of good athletes there. I was able to meet a lot of scouts and do a lot of testing that the NFL wants, and I just feel like it was a great learning week. Learning a new scheme and things like that, but I had a great time down there. I went there and put my best foot forward and dominated a lot of the drills and practices.

ZH: Following the Shrine Game, you were also a late add to the Senior Bowl roster. How were those two events different for you?

ST: It was just different because I really did a lot of the testing and met a lot of the scouts at the East-West game the week before. I thought it was a good thing though. It was kind of tiring, doing the back-to-back where you stay up late nights, where you get minimum sleep, and they ask you to perform at a high level in practice. I flew back to California from Florida and then I got the call, so I think that was the most difficult thing, having to fly from the East coast to the West coast then back to the East coast in that little time in three days.

ZH: Who in the NFL do you compare your game to most/ model your game after?

ST: I don’t really have anyone to compare myself to, but I do watch a lot of film on guys in the NFL right now. Guys like Bobby Wagner, Luke Kuechly, Von Miller. All of the greats, I definitely watch all kinds of film on them.

ZH: What is my team getting if I spend a draft pick on Sione Takitaki?

ST: First and foremost, you are going to get a guy who loves football. I’m doing this because I love this game. You are going to get a hard worker and also a guy who has never been hurt. There are a lot of players who are good but they have had like 5 surgeries. I haven’t had one surgery, I’m healthy as an ox, and I’m ready to play special teams or defense or wherever you need me. I’m ready to go.

You are also getting a locker room guy. I’m cool with all walks of life and backgrounds. I’m comfortable with everyone and I let the coaches coach. I think those key things are really important for me and what you’d be getting with me.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
Does that 6 mile walk involve a little white ball?

No. Just my morning walk. I usually start around 5:30 to beat the heat...not that it is that hot now...been hitting upper 70's low 80's for a few weeks now. Another 3-4 weeks and it is 90's through mid Sept. I wake early and just got in the habit of walking early. Got a little later start this morning because I had to read up a little longer on the draft news. To be honest, I wanted to read a bit more before I head head to an event that starts at 11, so I cut the walk this morning to 4 miles. I walk at the club some. We have a full caddy program. You have to walk a minimum number of times a year using a caddy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Looking at the various highlight films / game tape - you can see some good things but not very consistently. I think this has to be a 'watch this space' sort of pick. I do like the way he picks a path through the line on blitzes, he seems to have a knack for flowing to the ball with a little patience. Also seemed pretty disciplined. One of the ings I like best is that he turned his life/attitude around and went from troubled individual to a Captain on D. I think that's great.

Dorsey has to miss on some picks ... no idea if this is it or not, but bottom line is I am not going to second guess the man.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns have a bad history, shortterm history with players selected in this range. 2nd or 3rd round picks that are real headscratchers.

Legend
Legend
seems like a tough kid and quick/fast

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The Browns have a bad history, shortterm history with players selected in this range. 2nd or 3rd round picks that are real headscratchers.

Agree, we have a tendency to get too cute and outsmart ourselves...praying to god it works this time, because I'm skeptical as well.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Well good job that it was Dorsey's pick and he has a somewhat stellar track record. Seriously - whatever happened under previous regimes has zero to do with Dorsey and his picks.... and while I am not giving the keys of the city to Dorsey on a lifetime basis - he's certainly earned a lot of latitude and slack on any pick he wants to make. Let's wait and see.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Well good job that it was Dorsey's pick and he has a somewhat stellar track record. Seriously - whatever happened under previous regimes has zero to do with Dorsey and his picks.... and while I am not giving the keys of the city to Dorsey on a lifetime basis - he's certainly earned a lot of latitude and slack on any pick he wants to make. Let's wait and see.

Absolutely.

His 1st draft was special. Let's see how his 2nd one turns out before we bury him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Gotta love new players,

Nothing against the player, the team (probably) is in love with his explosiveness,

I'tll be up to new DC Wilkes to show how this player's use helps the team this year.

Even if we've all seen a laundry list of players who fit this mold and have come in and, and and, and if we want a longterm upside player at #80 overall,
We need to give this player a chance, and see what kind of plans the team has for them,

It may have been a questionable use of the slotted pick but the player deserves a chance to show what he's got.

Maybe he's a special teams ace, and a, situational pass rushing GEM, and fits other schemes in other situations,

May end up being a really good player.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Other than D line this is the type of player I thought we would draft with our second round pick. Someone who I think can be extremely effective freelancing a bit and be real good when plays break down or dont go as planned. He has speed and like to hit.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If I"m reading these two charts correctly, Wilson is stronger in pass rush, Takitaki is stronger as a run stopper. Their coverage abilities are in the same neighborhood. Takitaki's rate of production is higher. Right?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NFL.COM

Strengths
Matured from self-described "knucklehead" to team captain
Averaged almost 100 tackles, four sacks and 11.5 TFLs since 2017

Plays every play like it could be his last
Pursuit bursts with energy
Usually plays with a proactive demeanor vs run
Leveled up as block-slipper this season
Once he hits the gas, he's all in
Plays faster than timed speed
Short-area burst rushes him into place
Good reaction quickness to tackle from zone
Ready-made demeanor for special teams

Just what we needed a bit of a wild man on the field.

Joe Thomas #73
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I watched one of his games today (Umass)....he looked good-very good at times, however very suspect at times too. I can see where he tends to be in on a lot of the tackles...He however has a lot of issues too...Gap control, a lot of false steps, pursuit angles, gets washed away really easy...Made a nice play right at the 2 minute warning in the first half...Made another good play in the second half, and looked pretty good in pass coverage...Him and Mack Wilson definitely to work on tackling, gap integrity, and pursuit angles/steps....Both tackle rather high and try to whip you down, that's a lot more of a risky tackle in the NFL.

Perhaps it was just an off day, which just happens...He also looks smaller than his weigh/size listed. I think he will be a great addition on special teams and sub pacakges, until he learns the game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the honest analysis, tru. I can always count on you for fair takes.

Sounds like he should be very valuable on our special team's units. I think both Dorsey and Freddie are placing more importance on those units than Sashi and Hue did.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Thanks for the honest analysis, tru. I can always count on you for fair takes.

Sounds like he should be very valuable on our special team's units. I think both Dorsey and Freddie are placing more importance on those units than Sashi and Hue did.

Always welcome my friend, and I agree all the way. Seems the past couple years we weren't constructing those special teams correctly. And point to notice, we got some young guys to plug in there along with Adarius Taylor to help on those coverage units...I still wonder who our returner will be? But I really like the focus and emphasis of placing a high effort to rebuild that unit. Seems like constantly opposing teams had nice field placement after we allowed them to wiggle downfield on returns.

Not going to lie, I was disappointed with the selection of Takitaki...But I would be lying if I said he didn't have a place on this team...Both him and Wilson look like special team studs, which fresh hungry blood is needed...I don't think Dorsey is going to let another Richardo Louis trot out there to perform a half arse tackle lol He went out and got some high octane guys whom love to mix it up.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Tru, you have no idea how irate I used to get at Ricardo Louis. Dude would be in perfect position and whiff on a tackle. I come on here and folks are saying our ST's coach sucked. Unreal!

Do you think Callaway could be our returner. He seems like he has the requisite skills, but I'm not sure we trusted him last year.

I think he could be dynamic as a returner, but I'm not sure if he will be reliable. What are your thoughts?

Legend
Legend
Callaway did a nice job as the returner in the final game of the season against the Ravens.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
If I"m reading these two charts correctly, Wilson is stronger in pass rush, Takitaki is stronger as a run stopper. Their coverage abilities are in the same neighborhood. Takitaki's rate of production is higher. Right?

Am I the only poster who likes saying Takitaki?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
On April 5, the Browns signed Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi. I don't see why they would sign a relatively unknown junior college WR except that he was a kick returning demon. Obviously, he has a lot to prove before he makes the 53-man, but I gotta believe he was signed on the off chance he can bring do what he did in JC to the NFL.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/4/5/18297159/cleveland-browns-sign-damon-sheehy-guiseppi

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
L
Legend
Legend
L
It's fun!

Plus, we drafted Redwine

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
On April 5, the Browns signed Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi. I don't see why they would sign a relatively unknown junior college WR except that he was a kick returning demon. Obviously, he has a lot to prove before he makes the 53-man, but I gotta believe he was signed on the off chance he can bring do what he did in JC to the NFL.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/4/5/18297159/cleveland-browns-sign-damon-sheehy-guiseppi

Good point.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

LOL I must have said it about a million times.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Tru, you have no idea how irate I used to get at Ricardo Louis. Dude would be in perfect position and whiff on a tackle. I come on here and folks are saying our ST's coach sucked. Unreal!

Do you think Callaway could be our returner. He seems like he has the requisite skills, but I'm not sure we trusted him last year.

I think he could be dynamic as a returner, but I'm not sure if he will be reliable. What are your thoughts?

I remember Louis blocking on a punt return while engaging with a blocker, Louis turned around to see where our returner was...gave up on the play, and his man came in a swooped our returner for an easy tackle...I remember him giving up way too early often, and Im so glad he is gone...He did the same thing on a long Crowell run, and gave up...allowing his man to come up and get Crowell before the endzone....Just laziness, which kills me man.

Yeah Calloway is probably our purest candidate for returner...He doesn't have a lot of wiggle, but more wiggle than our other options...Has the speed for sure...I can't think of anyone but him...I dont think Jaelen Strong has ever been part of a return game, so yeah Calloway and maybe Ratley with his straight line speed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
I watched one of his games today (Umass)....he looked good-very good at times, however very suspect at times too. I can see where he tends to be in on a lot of the tackles...He however has a lot of issues too...Gap control, a lot of false steps, pursuit angles, gets washed away really easy...Made a nice play right at the 2 minute warning in the first half...Made another good play in the second half, and looked pretty good in pass coverage...Him and Mack Wilson definitely to work on tackling, gap integrity, and pursuit angles/steps....Both tackle rather high and try to whip you down, that's a lot more of a risky tackle in the NFL.

Perhaps it was just an off day, which just happens...He also looks smaller than his weigh/size listed. I think he will be a great addition on special teams and sub pacakges, until he learns the game.

What part of the season was that game?

I saw the Eliot Wolf interview on the pick. He was talking about how Takitaki was a DE last season and only transitioned to Lb this past season. And that he got a lot better as the season went on. If the game you watched was early in the year I would suggest that you watch a later one. If it was later in the season then it tells me that he still has a long ways to go.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

No. You have company.
I also like my new nickname for him:

Taki²

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season 2019 NFL Draft Browns pick Sione Takitaki 80th overall

Link Copied to Clipboard