Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Swish #1616407 04/23/19 10:27 AM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
and your point is? I don't think anyone is denying he had a great year , but to anoint him the GOAT or heir-apparent GOAT, or the most accurate passer in the league would be quite far fetched. Don't get me wrong I hope he becomes all of the above , but he aint there yet

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well, he is currently the rookie goat.

Now things get a little more difficult.

No Craps Given
EveDawg #1616646 04/24/19 07:53 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am ... GROAT

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bonitadawg
and your point is? I don't think anyone is denying he had a great year , but to anoint him the GOAT or heir-apparent GOAT, or the most accurate passer in the league would be quite far fetched. Don't get me wrong I hope he becomes all of the above , but he aint there yet

Where have I said he is the "GOAT"?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Do we know how that stat compares to the other top QB’s in the NFL?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Quote:
Baker Mayfield rips NFL draft analysts for criticizing first-round picks

Yahoo Sports Chris Cwik,Yahoo Sports Fri, Apr 26 1:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield has a message to all those people ripping NFL draft picks: If you haven’t played the game, you can’t have an opinion on the game.

Baker Mayfield
✔
@bakermayfield

All these NFL analysts still crack me up... Just bringing guys down and saying what they “can’t do”... When we all know they aren’t even athletic enough to play checkers. Congrats to everybody who got drafted tonight, keep making people proud and proving people wrong!
12:31 AM - Apr 26, 2019

Mayfield took NFL draft analysts to task Thursday night in a message meant to inspire players drafted in the first round.

Mayfield’s criticism is a type of gatekeeping you typically see in sports. It’s a way for those within the game to tell others their opinions don’t matter unless they took the field.

When applied to any other job, that line of thinking is ludicrous. Can only directors have opinions on movies? Should accountants be allowed to comment on which video games they enjoy? Is a plumber limited to talking about pipes every waking moment of their life?

Of course not. Fans and analysts are allowed to form opinions on their favorite teams and players. Being able to share and debate those opinions is what makes fandom fun.

In order to give themselves motivation, athletes rely on this idea that no one believed in them. Despite winning a million championships over the past decade, the New England Patriots still claimed that was the case after winning Super Bowl LIII.
Baker Mayfield Browns.
Baker Mayfield calls out NFL draft analysts. (AP)

That’s the same thing Mayfield is doing here. And while some picks will be universally panned and the occasional hot-take artist will say a first-round player was a seventh-round talent, the reason these players are being selected that high tells you the overwhelming majority of analysts do believe in them.

Even Mayfield — who was drafted No. 1 overall — ignores all the positive comments in favor of the negatives. Because of that, he’s a fiery, outspoken competitor who plays with a chip on his shoulder and fights back against bad analysis. Those attributes don’t just make Mayfield one of the most entertaining personalities within the game, they also make him successful.

In a world where all that goes away, Mayfield loses the traits that define him.

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/01/cleveland-browns-2016-season-position-review-wide-receiver/

Legend
Legend
Seems to me he's just trying to support the guys that were drafted and telling them to keep their heads up, and not to let their critics get them down. He speaks from experience, he was in that position last year and faced a lot of criticism from blowhard analysts.

Also, that link doesn't lead to the story.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1619284 04/28/19 09:28 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Also, that link doesn't lead to the story.

My bad.

https://sports.yahoo.com/baker-mayfield-...-172250805.html

jfanent #1619297 04/28/19 10:44 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Seems to me he's just trying to support the guys that were drafted and telling them to keep their heads up, and not to let their critics get them down.

Then why didn't he just say that?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1619301 04/28/19 10:57 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Seems to me he's just trying to support the guys that were drafted and telling them to keep their heads up, and not to let their critics get them down.

Then why didn't he just say that?

Seriously? He said pretty much exactly that. "Congrats to everybody who got drafted tonight, keep making people proud and proving people wrong!"

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1619314 04/28/19 11:40 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, you kind of left the checkers line out there. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
jfanent #1619340 04/28/19 12:40 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Well jfan, just understand that you aren't athletic enough to play checkers. LOL

Legend
Legend
Maybe not yet, but I been workin' out!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Swish #1619459 04/28/19 04:54 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
All I better hear in the stands this season is BAKER MAYFIELD *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1619462 04/28/19 05:00 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm expecting to hear chants of "King in the North! King in the North!"

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Swish #1620300 04/30/19 09:06 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The NFL channel replayed the Jets/Browns game this afternoon. Every time I watch that game I have all the confidence in the world that Baker will rise to the occasion this year. I mean, he came into that game cold and took it over.

Swish #1620316 04/30/19 10:00 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Danger Zone brownie

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1620319 04/30/19 10:11 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Baker reminds me of the kid most of us knew growing up. The kid who thought he was better than everyone. The kid who bullied others. The kid who built himself by making fun of others. The kid, who despite all his character flaws, had a lot of "friends."

I really don't like the dude. Can you imagine calling out guys like Kurt Warner, L. Tomlinson, Louis Riddick, etc by saying some dumb crap about these guys aren't athletic enough to play checkers?

And btw........are we saying that anyone who isn't athletic isn't capable of understanding the game? Where does that put all of you who defend him?

He and I would have fought if we were growing up in the same town and played for the same team. I don't like bullies.

I will root for him to play well because I want the Browns to win, but it's kinda like the Jimmy Haslam thing. I don't like him either. Both guys are pieces of crap, but I'm going to have to get past that because I want the Browns to win.

I almost didn't post this because I know of the personal character attacks that will be directed my way because I offered my honest opinion. However, I feel strongly enough about my position to endure those attacks.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I get that feeling when I watch Pat Mahommes.

----

If Baker throws for 3 Tds in game one, I may change my signature.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
There are times I wish he'd shutup and take the high road. Occasionally I've mentioned I don't like some of his mouth-running, and I thought the Hue stare-down was immature. Kid's got fire.

He is what he is, I guess. I love that he's our QB, so I'll mostly overlook the other stuff. For now.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Remember though, Vers. His teammates love and follow him, so he can't be a complete arse.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
That's completely fair.

Btw..............I am not trying to get anyone to agree w/me. Not at all!!!!!!

I am just voicing my solitary opinion that I really don't like the dude. He seems like a complete ass to me. I played w/and against dudes like him.

I mean.............think about it. Kurt Warner has won a Super Bowl. He was the MVP. He is a HOF player. And some dude who has a losing record is calling you out? Pfffttttt....

Dude, shut your mouth.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I really don't like the dude. Can you imagine calling out guys like Kurt Warner, L. Tomlinson, Louis Riddick, etc by saying some dumb crap about these guys aren't athletic enough to play checkers?

While it wasn't a good thing to say, I believe he was ta;ling about the so-called draft experts. Yep, just looked. He also wasn't defending himself, but those taken in the 1st round.

Baker Mayfield rips NFL draft analysts for criticizing first-round picks
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bak...icks/ar-BBWkmJg

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield has a message to all those people ripping NFL draft picks: If you haven’t played the game, you can’t have an opinion on the game.

Mayfield took NFL draft analysts to task Thursday night in a message meant to inspire players drafted in the first round.

Mayfield’s criticism is a type of gatekeeping you typically see in sports. It’s a way for those within the game to tell others their opinions don’t matter unless they took the field.

When applied to any other job, that line of thinking is ludicrous. Can only directors have opinions on movies? Should accountants be allowed to comment on which video games they enjoy? Is a plumber limited to talking about pipes every waking moment of their life?

Of course not. Fans and analysts are allowed to form opinions on their favorite teams and players. Being able to share and debate those opinions is what makes fandom fun.

In order to give themselves motivation, athletes rely on this idea that no one believed in them. Despite winning a million championships over the past decade, the New England Patriots still claimed that was the case after winning Super Bowl LIII.

That’s the same thing Mayfield is doing here. And while some picks will be universally panned and the occasional hot-take artist will say a first-round player was a seventh-round talent, the reason these players are being selected that high tells you the overwhelming majority of analysts do believe in them.

Even Mayfield — who was drafted No. 1 overall — ignores all the positive comments in favor of the negatives. Because of that, he’s a fiery, outspoken competitor who plays with a chip on his shoulder and fights back against bad analysis. Those attributes don’t just make Mayfield one of the most entertaining personalities within the game, they also make him successful.

In a world where all that goes away, Mayfield loses the traits that define him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Swish #1620336 04/30/19 10:39 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I love Baker's attitude. I watch football to be entertained, and he's entertaining. And he kicks ass.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
He called out Kurt Warner?!? What for?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
He also wasn't defending himself, but those taken in the 1st round.

YTown, I like how you responded to me w/out insults........but bro, I never said he was defending himself. I thought it was very clear he was speaking of the this year's prospects. I am NOT chastising him for that.

Look......he could have defended those dudes by saying something like this:

The NFL draft talk is interesting, but it is an inexact science. We can talk all day about it, but the real proof comes on the field. Good luck to all of guys in this year's draft class. Only you can determine your success.

Pdawg #1620339 04/30/19 10:46 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Not specifically.

Come on. I didn't expect that comment from you. He called out all of them. Kurt Warner is one of the guys who was evaluating the draft. Sheesh!

I can see that my words are going to be twisted yet again.

Swish #1620340 04/30/19 10:49 PM
Legend
Legend
I didn’t know what you were talking about when I posted. I figured it out once I read Ytown’s post.

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1620342 04/30/19 10:51 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
My apologies. Like I said, I didn't expect that from you. You are a very fair poster.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Not specifically.

Come on. I didn't expect that comment from you. He called out all of them. Kurt Warner is one of the guys who was evaluating the draft. Sheesh!

Nobody is twisting your words, but I don't understand why you want to get into a fistfight with Baker....???

wink

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't say I want to. I said we would have had we been playing in the same era.

Swish #1620351 04/30/19 11:18 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

EveDawg #1620353 04/30/19 11:20 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He is the most perfect quarterback for us at the most perfect time.

If I ever run into John Dorsey I'm going to give him a nice big hug and thank him for listening to me and delivering us Baker Mayfield.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

Baker reminds me of the kid most of us knew growing up. The kid who thought he was better than everyone. The kid who bullied others. The kid who built himself by making fun of others. The kid, who despite all his character flaws, had a lot of "friends."

And btw........are we saying that anyone who isn't athletic isn't capable of understanding the game? Where does that put all of you who defend him?

He and I would have fought if we were growing up in the same town and played for the same team. I don't like bullies.

I will root for him to play well because I want the Browns to win, but it's kinda like the Jimmy Haslam thing. I don't like him either. Both guys are pieces of crap, but I'm going to have to get past that because I want the Browns to win.

I almost didn't post this because I know of the personal character attacks that will be directed my way because I offered my honest opinion. However, I feel strongly enough about my position to endure those attacks.

Is Baker a bully or is he the kid who was picked on by the bullies until he decided to stand up to them? His "antics" seem to generally be reactionary.

Sometimes bullies feel like they are being bullied when people stand up to them and other people stop being afraid of them, too. Baker doesn't take crap from anybody. He was doubted by many of those same "NFL analysts". I'm not sure he's referring to the same ones you are though. There are some pretty harsh hot takes that fly around on draft twitter and elsewhere.

If analysts stuck to analysis rather than putting out controversial clickbait takes and effectively bullying prospects, they wouldn't get so many responses like Baker's.

Some "analysts" seem to take perverse pleasure in loudly announcing that a player will fail. See Cowherd.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I didn't say I want to. I said we would have had we been playing in the same era.

C'mon man. You didn't get my post?

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And btw........are we saying that anyone who isn't athletic isn't capable of understanding the game?

This is the crux of the matter.

If only those who can do are permitted to judge, then that would change things.

That means that any of use who have never played music professionally should judge songs or performances.

And those of us who do not act in movies should judge movies or the performances of those who act in them.

Yeah ... I get it. Trying to bring logic to an internet discussion has as much effect as farting in a tornado.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker might have tempered his words or chosen them more wisely, but I love his intent. He was telling the drafted players to not listen to the talking heads, to rely on their talent and take care of business. I'm sure he already regrets intimating the notion that those who don't or haven't played can't understand the game. I do know this, I'm certainly glad I wasn't judged and condemned for every stupid thing I said in my 20's. Or 30's. Or yesterday. It's so much easier to be perfect or politically correct when you're not under microscopic scrutiny from the comfort of the couch. I'm also fairly certain some of his vitriol stems from his encounters with douchebags like Cowherd.

GO BROWNS!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F

Not specifically.

Guess it depends on what channel he was watching on. heck all the time on this board people use a group term but are truly referring to specific people in that group.

Besides, on draft night the "commentators" are more positive, it is the pre-draft "analysts" who tend to point out more of the negatives.

Last edited by FloridaFan; 05/01/19 08:35 AM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Swish #1620509 05/01/19 12:00 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think Baker's use of the term NFL Analyst was not directed at former players, but the Mel Kipers and Todd McShays and all of the "Mock Draft" experts of the world.

I would go to battle with Baker in my foxhole all day, every day...

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard