Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
US measles cases climb to 704 as the disease spreads among unvaccinated people

-The CDC has confirmed 704 cases of measles, the largest number of measles cases since 1994.

-Nearly three-quarters of this year’s measles cases were in unvaccinated people, the CDC said.

-Health officials urge people to get the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/29/us-measl...ted-people.html

B
Legend
Legend
B
People are stupid.

There were no measles in this country 10 years ago.

I think they came in from south of Texas.

Just another reason.....just saying. Give it time, Ebola will start to spread.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Again, this isn’t so much about the unvaccinated getting sick, their parents are making that choice for them, but this is about other kids that aren’t old enough to get the MMR shot and people with weakened immune systems, specifically the elderly. They’re at risk. This will only get worse before it gets better.

...and this is all because some people think vaccines give you autism, which has been proven inaccurate.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Multiple reports show what truly causes the rise.

Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Anti-vaxxers actually are the culprits. Take your xenophobia somewhere else, Peen.

...and before the "you and your fancy words" crowd comes out, I'll provide you with the definition of xenophobia.
Quote:
fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign

Link

I'd like to think you're above giant blanket statements like this, but obviously you show fear and hatred from those "south of Texas."

Quote:
Give it time, Ebola will start to spread.

What are you insinuating here?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
According to the Center for Immigration Studies,

In FY 2018, the [Yuma] sector [of the Border Patrol] incurred more than $700,000 in medical care costs to cover 1,700 aliens who were apprehended and who had to be transported to the hospital. ... Other aliens show up sick, particularly children, some of whom are suffering from illnesses not generally seen in modern American society, including mumps, measles, and tuberculosis, as well as others with influenza, scabies, and other skin diseases. Plainly, the Border Patrol is not able to turn these individuals away without treatment.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Infectious-Diseases-Making-Border-Crisis-Worse

These are the ones we catch.

I think calling Xenophobia in the face of the facts is not safe for our Nation and its citizens.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet people have been illegally crossing our border for decades when the measles no longer existed here.

So let me get this straight. Now you've decided not to blame parents who refuse to get their children vaccinated but those "evil foreigners".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Another comprehension failure I see. rolleyes

I can answer that simply by saying NO.

So far it looks to me like there are multiple reasons for this outbreak.

But reacting emotionally to the outbreak of disease, calling people names, and making accusations does not get to the root of the problem. But that is typical of certain posters around here.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 04/30/19 01:53 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The highlighted portion of your post above isn't a comprehension problem.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Multiple reports show what truly causes the rise.

Anti-vaxxers actually are the culprits. Take your xenophobia somewhere else, Peen.

...and before the "you and your fancy words" crowd comes out, I'll provide you with the definition of xenophobia.
Quote:
fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign

Link

I'd like to think you're above giant blanket statements like this, but obviously you show fear and hatred from those "south of Texas."

Quote:
Give it time, Ebola will start to spread.

What are you insinuating here?

We both know exactly what he was insinuating.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The highlighted portion of your post above isn't a comprehension problem.

Well it is According to the Center for Immigration Studies and not a name calling group of posters on here.

Seems to back up Peen's position.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Did you look at their banner? They want low immigration.

I'd trust the CDC over a right-wing thinktank.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
A bit more about your source, 40.

Quote:
Founded in 1985 by John Tanton, the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) has gone on to become the go-to think tank for the anti-immigrant movement with its reports and staffers often cited by media and anti-immigrant politicians. CIS’s much-touted tagline is “low immigration, pro-immigrant,” but the organization has a decades-long history of circulating racist writers, while also associating with white nationalists.

Link

Like I tell my students, research your sources.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Southern Poverty Law Center???

You need to follow your own advice. rofl

Fighting disease is not a conservative or liberal thing.
It should not be a political decision either.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 04/30/19 02:44 PM.
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
What percent of 350 million is 704? I can't believe people are behaving like they are over a pitiful little 704 cases. This isn't even as deadly as the flu, which isn't mandated. I don't even know what to say about the "outrage" over people not vaccinating. This isn't the second round of the Spanish flu, and never has been.

I'm grateful for Browns football.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
These people think its serious...

Cruise ship quarantined in St. Lucia as health officials investigate possible measles case

"As per the Quarantine Act, our authority under the Quarantine Act, the Public Health Act, and after internal discussions as well as discussions with external health agencies such as the Pan-American Health Organization, we thought it prudent that we quarantine the ship...The crew and passengers aboard were not allowed to leave," she said.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/cru...ory?id=62762857

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: KyDawg
What percent of 350 million is 704? I can't believe people are behaving like they are over a pitiful little 704 cases. This isn't even as deadly as the flu, which isn't mandated. I don't even know what to say about the "outrage" over people not vaccinating. This isn't the second round of the Spanish flu, and never has been.

I’m not a doctor but I remember one saying when you mix measles, a highly contagious airborne disease, with a population that isn’t getting vaccinated at a high enough rate, it could get out of control fast. Again, this is more about the very old and very young that can’t get exposed to it.

I feel for the parents of newborns that have to wait it out a year. If this expands, how do you take your 6 month old to the mall if that could expose them? Scary.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Originally Posted By: KyDawg

I’m not a doctor but I remember one saying when you mix measles, a highly contagious airborne disease, with a population that isn’t getting vaccinated at a high enough rate, it could get out of control fast. Again, this is more about the very old and very young that can’t get exposed to it.

I feel for the parents of newborns that have to wait it out a year. If this expands, how do you take your 6 month old to the mall if that could expose them? Scary.

For the sake of the argument I'm about to make, let's pretend for a minute that we could vaccinate babies the second they take their first breath. A 6 month old has no business at the mall for many reasons, including but not limited to, we have no vaccine or cure for the common cold. They are very prone to cry for no good reason, which is very annoying. I'm a father of 4 and get it, you want to get out and interact, leave the kids with the other parent or get a sitter. If you picked the wrong person to create a child with, and they don't help, don't make the public suffer. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old fashioned man though. Not so old fashioned that I won't be dad while mom goes to the mall though.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So rather than demand that everyone be vaccinated, we should force society to keep their babies away from the public and make sure people don't have to hear babies cry?

Maybe we should sit back and watch tuberculosis become popular again as well.

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Did you not understand the fact that we can't cure or vaccinate against the common cold, or did you ignore it? If you get a cold you become susceptible to pneumonia or bronchitis, both of which can cause death. Again, there is no cure or vaccine to stop it, so it would be best if we urged parents to not take children under a certain age everywhere, but we don't. We preach herd immunity and don't warn parents against against the dangers of a disease that we can't cure or prevent. BRILLIANT!!!

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Did you not understand the fact that we can't cure or vaccinate against the common cold, or did you ignore it?

I got it..

Quote:
If you get a cold you become susceptible to pneumonia or bronchitis, both of which can cause death. Again, there is no cure or vaccine to stop it, so it would be best if we urged parents to not take children under a certain age everywhere, but we don't. We preach herd immunity and don't warn parents against against the dangers of a disease that we can't cure or prevent. BRILLIANT!!!

Kids get sick... it happens. That's how the body develops the ability to fight things off. Raising kids in a bubble so they never get sick just means they will get sick more later.

Every parent knows that whenever the kids get exposed to other kids, whether it's as an infant or a toddler in day care or a 5 year old in Kindergarten, whenever it happens... they are going to be sick a lot from all of the other stuff those other kids carry around.. My son spent almost the entire age of 2 sick..

yebat' Putin
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Every parent knows

Do they really? One of my replies was prompted by another poster suggesting everyone should be vaccinated so parents can take their 6 month old to the mall without being scared.

B
Legend
Legend
B
A few year ago, measles was called eradicated from the USA.

Stupid people who don't vaccinate their kids and stupid people who have allowed it to cross the border are criminal.

Why not just let Ebola infected people to enter the country unchecked?

Some may want that in their neighborhood. I don't, and don't want it in yours either.

Time to wake up.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Please provide empirical factual claims to back up your assertions that undocumented migrants are a statistically significant cause for the measles explosion.

Thanks, we'll be waiting.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Do you think measles magically self generated, or came in with a vaccinated, legal immigrant? Just exactly where do you think the new patient zero came from? It was not present in the US, and now it is. Un-vaccinated residents
did not suddenly generate new cases.

They DO cause it to spread more easily, but do NOT generate new infections.

Get your head out of the "everything is racism" bucket and use it for something besides a hatrack.

E
Legend
Legend
E
According to the news, the new measles patient zeros were traveling out of country, in countries where it's more prevalent. And brought it back here.

No Craps Given
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Not if they were vaccinated, they didn't, and to legally cross the border, guess what you have to do?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Are you talking to yourself?

It was brought here by US citizens traveling abroad.

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
It was a Scientology vessel from the U.S. where someone was sick with measles.

I'd like someone to prove with peer-reviewed empirical research data that undocumented migrants are a significant statistical cause for the measles epidemic.

I bet I'll be waiting for quite some time.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K

Stupid people who don't vaccinate their kids and stupid people who have allowed it to cross the border are criminal.

I might not agree with people who don't vaccinate, but it's not only NOT criminal, it's their right not to vaccinate. Deprivation of rights while acting under the color of law is criminal though, and you aren't hesitating to let it be known how you judge someone exercising this right.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So your logic is since we can't stop the common clod we shouldn't stop the diseases we can control?

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
No. I stated some facts and my opinion. I did say I don't agree with those that don't vaccinate, sorry you keep having trouble comprehending me.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Please provide empirical factual claims to back up your assertions that undocumented migrants are a statistically significant cause for the measles explosion.

Thanks, we'll be waiting.

It came from somewhere. It was eradicated from this country and most all western countries. It only lingered is backward states

I have figured it out. In time, you will too.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet the CDC has plainly stated it was brought here by Americans traveling abroad. I guess you can figure it out better than they can.

Actually, the countries you seem to be holding responsible have a higher vaccination rate than the United states.

Quote:
According to World Health Organization estimates, the U.S. has a measles vaccination rate of 92 percent, while Mexico and Nicaragua have 99 percent vaccination rates and Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador each have 93 percent vaccination rates. If anything, those countries should be concerned about Americans coming down to visit.

https://theweek.com/articles/537527/no-i...easles-outbreak

Last edited by PitDAWG; 05/04/19 11:42 AM. Reason: To add content.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Measles Cases in 2019. From January 1 to May 3, 2019, 764**

Individual cases of measles have been confirmed in 23 states.

This is an increase of 60 cases from the previous week. This is the greatest number of cases reported in the U.S. since 1994 and since measles was declared eliminated in 2000.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Kentucky teen who sued over school ban for refusing chickenpox vaccination now has chickenpox

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ken...S17X2wrrsBJZZ_Q

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c

Kentucky teen who sued over school ban for refusing chickenpox vaccination now has chickenpox

Classic! rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
j/c

As a centrist, I ask this question from a logic-only perspective. If they have a problem with the vaccine because it was developed from two fetuses 60+ years ago, don't they have other things they can't use because they were developed or tested on animals or humans? Heck, shouldn't they also have a problem living in the US because we dropped the bomb on Japan twice, killing thousands of civilians?

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
j/c

As a centrist, I ask this question from a logic-only perspective. If they have a problem with the vaccine because it was developed from two fetuses 60+ years ago, don't they have other things they can't use because they were developed or tested on animals or humans? Heck, shouldn't they also have a problem living in the US because we dropped the bomb on Japan twice, killing thousands of civilians?

We've entered the age of "a'la cart, pick what offends you and carry a torch" society. Doesn't matter if your crusade doesn't align with anything else you believe - if people call you out, just call them racist bigots. wink

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
j/c

We've entered the age of "a'la cart, pick what offends you and carry a torch" society. Doesn't matter if your crusade doesn't align with anything else you believe - if people call you out, just call them racist bigots. wink

Makes sense, well, it doesn't, but it matches what I'm seeing.

It's like people protesting with PETA and wearing leather belts and boots. If you're going to draw a line in the sand, make sure you're not crossing it frequently.

Also, I thought you need to throw the word "Nazi" too.

[Linked Image]

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: FATE
j/c

Classic! rofl

I want to hear how you rationalize laughing at someone who got sick after suing to not get a vaccine, because it's not cool to laugh at players getting injured. In my book you don't laugh at someone's misfortune, even if they brought it on themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... US measles cases climb as the disease spreads among unvaccinated

Link Copied to Clipboard