Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I get the impression that we are content with Gilbert.

Legend
Legend

Most Important Questions Ahead of Training Camp - No. 5: What do Drew Stanton, Garrett Gilbert bring as backup options to Baker Mayfield?

We're 27 days from the start of training camp in Berea, which means we have a little time to look toward the clouds (three days without rain!) and ponder deep thoughts about how things might go for the 2019 Cleveland Browns.

From that process, we've emerged from the inner portion of our football-focused consciences with nine very important questions related to this football team, which reconvenes for the start of camp in a month. We'll address one per weekday for the next two weeks. Next up: The most important player after QB1.

We can safely look at quarterback and say we know, for certain, who the starter will be. And we have the utmost confidence in him. Sunny days are near, Cleveland.

As for the guy behind him...

We've heard plenty about the contributions of Drew Stanton, a veteran who has SEEN SOME THINGS in his NFL career. His help and presence as a sage elder undoubtedly aided Mayfield in his first season and can only continue to be beneficial for the young star signal-caller.

But there's also the presumed MVP of the now-defunct Alliance of American Football, Garrett Gilbert.

Gilbert was lighting up the AAF before it folded in the middle of its first and only season. He was clearly the league's best player, and it shouldn't come as a surprise. He was once a 5-star recruit, Mr. Texas Football, Gatorade's Male High School Athlete of the Year, and the future at the University of Texas. That ultimately didn't pan out, and he's since followed a winding path that has included stops at Southern Methodist University and with four different NFL practice squads (St. Louis, New England, Detroit, Oakland) before making an active roster appearance last season with the Carolina Panthers.

It's an incredibly difficult road to consistent employment in the NFL as a quarterback, because A) there's one on the field at a time per team, and B) the importance of the position demands immediate success, or else. Gilbert had multiple opportunities after his AAF resurgence, but chose the Browns because he felt it was the best situation for him.

It helps that he knows Mayfield from their background as fellow former Lake Travis High School star quarterbacks. It also helps that his younger brother is in Mayfield's wedding party this summer. Familiarity makes such a move easier.

But we've seen no separation between Gilbert and Stanton. Assuming Gilbert entered as the No. 3 quarterback, we can guess right now he is still the No. 3 quarterback. Looking down the road, though, helps the 27-year-old's case as a future long-term backup, especially with Stanton celebrating his 35th birthday in May.

David Blough, a Purdue product, has also been with the team during offseason activities after going undrafted in April. He's likely the first to go at the position when cut-down day arrives, though he's worked hard while with the team.

The answer to this question, then, comes down to what the front office and coaching staff values more: experience or potential? It's not uncommon for a team to carry three quarterbacks -- in fact, most do it, save for the Chargers and last season, the Patriots -- but this is also a squad that is going to need to stretch roster spots to fit talented players elsewhere (we covered that issue with questions 6 and 7 this week). It's understandable to see the Browns only keeping two quarterbacks.

Like the questions before this, we'll learn much more during camp. But unlike the others, there's no legitimate indicator on how this might turn out. Keep an eye on the guys not wearing No. 6 this summer.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not going to predict the final pecking order between #2 and #3. I do think we will keep both Stanton and Gilbert behind Bake. Go one more year with Stanton as a mentor, then we can cut him loose next season as by then Bake will be a full vet himself.

Stanton will also be a positive influence for Gilbert. To me it is a no brainer, keep all three. If Blough looks good, put him on the practice squad with an eye towards next year..

Also, I think it foolish for a NFL team to not carry 3 qbs on the active roster. It is a pretty important position. You never know when your #3 qb is going to be thrust in the the #2 role...be it a series or two, a game or two, or the rest of the season.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 06/30/19 05:58 AM. Reason: additionl thought

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Blough...I really liked this kid and he has a lot of Baker in him. Hopefully he will be on our Practice Squad.

Gilbert, I am pretty ignorant on here is one game higlights of course not NFL starters but an all Cut League.

Still he showed pocket awareness, good running skills and that TD on a broken play was awesome, not the zip that Baker has but seems confident in his throws.

jmho
http://www.nfl.com/videos/alliance-of-am...game-AAF-Week-3

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Legend
Legend
T
If Stantons' main attribute is mentoring, they shouldn't cut him loose after next year, they should transition him into a coaching role, when he is ready to retire.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
If Stantons' main attribute is mentoring, they shouldn't cut him loose after next year, they should transition him into a coaching role, when he is ready to retire.

That may happen if Stanton wants to go in to coaching. Some people do, some don't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
If McCowan, Stanton type guys are so tVITAL- what does QB coach do. Bottomline is if your first string QB goes down, you're screwed. Now that we've got a decent one- please make sure he
1. Is protected as much as possible
2. knows how to slide- and get down when need be
3. We have an enforcer, like in movie "Slapshoot", who wipes out any player who roughs up OUR QB....go Browns!!!

I lean toward young guy due to QB coach, Kitchens, Baker self motivated.....Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Blough...I really liked this kid and he has a lot of Baker in him. Hopefully he will be on our Practice Squad.

I noticed the same resemblance between Baker's game and Blough's game. It will be fun to watch him perform and compete for a roster spot..who knows, he might be our backup QB.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: hitt
If McCowan, Stanton type guys are so tVITAL- what does QB coach do.

It has a lot to do with the NFL collective bargaining agreement. The contract between the players union and the NFL strictly limit practice time between the coaching staff and the players.

Such restrictions are not placed on players working with other players. As such, when you have a strong mentor type player at the QB position, it allows for more time to be spent working with a young QB on the playbook and the nuances of the position that time does not permit the QB coach to work with your young QB.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
David Blough lacks style but his substance may land him a job in the NFL

https://footballmaven.io/browns/browns-m...ZkGObwACHmb6zQ/

Cleveland Browns quarterback David Blough isn't going to blow anyone with raw ability, but he avoids mistakes and does a lot of the little things right, which could enable him to find success in the NFL.

For most people, knowing the name of the quarterback who led Purdue to a lopsided victory over the Ohio State Buckeyes in 2018 is a good trivia question. If you watched David Blough's college career, you're probably surprised that he was signed by the Cleveland Browns or any other NFL team. Average arm, average testing and there's a ton of manufactured completions in Jeff Brohm's offense. He's a facilitator rather than a playmaker.

But so much of what Blough does well is avoiding mistakes, being patient and having an excellent understanding of situational football. And the results in his senior year weren't eye popping on tape, but they ended up remarkably efficient.

Blough completed 66% of his passes, averaged 8 yards per attempt and had 2.5 touchdowns for every interception.

The Boilermakers were able to win six games including the huge upset win over Ohio State.

And Ohio State really showcases what Blough does well. The box score looks impressive, but going through it throw by throw, the Buckeyes suffered death by a thousand cuts.

Purdue did not come out of the gate firing. After completing his first pass, Blough missed on the next four and a few of those were throw aways. He usually diagnoses quickly and gets out of bad situations pretty consistently throughout the game. Despite scoring 49 points in the game, Purdue converted just 6 of 15 3rd downs.

They converted the only two 4th downs they attempted, but Purdue was patient and didn't commit a turnover in the game. Much of that was due to Blough being smart with the football.

That's not likely to be too exciting when it comes to training camp, but that is Blough's game. Make smart decisions, avoid costly mistakes and end drives with kicks. And as people are evaluating players, they may have very little to say about Blough if they say anything. And in an argument for a spot for the final 53, it's probably going to be really difficult to see a way Blough makes it this year, but that isn't likely why he was signed in the first place.

Blough stands out as someone the Browns brought in with the intention of putting him on the practice squad if they liked him and see if he can improve. All of that said, Blough might be efficient if he gets into preseason games against the back end of the rosters. If he makes smart decisions and gets the ball to playmakers, he might rack up some impressive numbers without exerting a ton of effort.

Blough isn't terribly exciting, but what he does well works in the NFL regardless of era. And if he can improve his arm strength and find ways to create more plays, he's got a shot to become Baker Mayfield's backup when Drew Stanton is put out to pasture, perhaps more.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Hope he makes the practice squad.

Dink and dunk, smart player with limited arm reminds me of some of our other QBs in the last 20 years.

IMO, he may not be a true threat to Stanton this year.

And I'm nervous with Stanton.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Sam Bradford is still available.

L
Legend
Legend
L
If he came cheap, it might not be a bad move.

He's a fragile fella, but as a backup, he'd be a better option than the QBs we have on the roster.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I don't think too many really want Sam Bradford,
but then I never really understood the Sam Bradford love, after him being what seemed like the only option coming out of that particular draft year.

Deshone Kiser said he wants to be Super Bowl MVP. Kiser back to the Browns?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Johnny football is available iirc. He could be a good back-up too. wink wink

V
Legend
Legend
V
No offense to any of you guys, but Sam Bradford is leaps and bounds above Kizer and any of our backups. Yes, he has an extensive injury history, but we would not be counting on him as our starter.

The dude is one of the most accurate passers ever. He has a very good arm and is pretty good at reading defenses and is decent at reading coverages.

It is my contention that we would not miss a beat if he replaced Baker because we have so many weapons. The backups we have now are just not good enough to take advantage of the talent we have on offense.

L
Legend
Legend
L
You lost me at DeShone Kizer. wink

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
I've always thought he was a smart QB, sometimes you can tell by watching their eyes, to see if they have something upstairs. And he's not weak-armed, either... if he accepted backup money, I'd sign him right now.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
The Browns are loaded in offensive talent. We have the best offensive skill talent in the league. I believe Baker is good enough to make a run at MVP w/this talent.

But, if he gets hurt.........

Ehhh, I'm not high on the guys behind him and it would be a shame to waste guys like OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, Duke [maybe,] Callaway, Njoku, and Higgins. Bradford is good enough to win w/those guys. And win big!

L
Legend
Legend
L
Exactly, and there'd be no QB controversy... we all know who the starter is.
Maybe Bradford doesn't want play if he's not a starter? Some athletes are like that... he's made his cash... Just speculating

gmstrong

-----------------

T
Legend
Legend
T
No offense to any of you guys, but Sam Bradford is leaps and bounds above Kizer and any of our backups. Yes, he has an extensive injury history, but we would not be counting on him as our starter.

The dude is one of the most accurate passers ever. He has a very good arm and is pretty good at reading defenses and is decent at reading coverages.

It is my contention that we would not miss a beat if he replaced Baker because we have so many weapons. The backups we have now are just not good enough to take advantage of the talent we have on offense.

I know Vers, you are smart, which is why I thought you were complelty joking when you brought up Bradford!

Only reason I mentioned Kiser, not with a straight face, I have a hard time thinking you had a straight face when you mentioned Bradford.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Googled Blough because I thought I remembered him looking good at Purdue. He throws a really nice ball and throws it with great anticipation. But it doesn't look like there's a lot of arm strength. I don't know if the anticipation can overcome it.

BTW, if you google just his last name don't look up the definition on urban dictionary

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B

I wouldn't mind Bradford. Not sure why he is still out there? Probably because he has a mind set to be a starter and hasn't wrapped him mind around the fact he is at the point in his career where the league sees him as more of a back-up.

I'll have to look around the net for Bradford news to maybe get a clue as to what might be cooking for the guy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...I always liked Bradford because of his accuracy. He has taken a beating over the years and his goods are damaged but he still is looking to be a Starter and get Starter Money. I think he is willing to sit and wait till a team gets an injury to their guy and would get what he wants.

I don't think he is ready to sign on as just a back up. And I'm sure in practice with no hitting allowed he would look very good.

Well I don't wish us to be the guys to have their starter get hurt and call on him later.

Liked Blough from the get go and think he will be a good BACK UP QB. He is like Holcomb with better legs and mobility!
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

That would be an excellent signing...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Kind of what I thought that he still wants starter money. I looked around and couldn't find any current rumors about Bradford talking with a team or two.

As I have said before, I am good with Stanton and whoever. In time I think Gilbert or Blough will be the main back-up. Probably next year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Man, I just looked, and Bradford is only 31. It seems like he should be 41, with all of the injuries, and all of the time he's missed as a result.

In 9 seasons (144 possible games) he has played in only 83 games. One area I feel he really lacks in is protecting himself as the QB. Of course, a large part of this could be due to the fact that he has had so many injuries.

One thing, however, that he has been great at is getting huge contracts. He has made over $130 million in 9 seasons, for not much production.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

That would be an excellent signing...

I'd like having him as our backup too.

Legend
Legend
I would like him as our 3rd string QB, and continually pray that he doesn't hurt himself while sitting down to pee.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Sam Bradford is available for a reason. My guess is it's because he's never been a backup and has made a ton of money in his career. Being a backup for a fraction of what he is used to being probably doesn't seem like a great deal.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Exactly, and there'd be no QB controversy... we all know who the starter is.
Maybe Bradford doesn't want play if he's not a starter? Some athletes are like that... he's made his cash... Just speculating

Maybe, but Bradford is what, 31/32 years old? He already has a long injury history.... nobody is going to give him big time starter money. His best bet would be to sign a 1 year back-up contract and if he can get on the field, ball out... then he might get signed on somewhere as a transition starter or something.

Odds are though, if he wants to stay in the league 4 or 5 more years, it's going to be as a back-up/spot starter...

And yes, I wouldn't be opposed at all to giving him top end back-up money on a 3 year deal for him to be here... heck if Mayfield gets hurt and Bradford balls out, what's the worst that happens? We get to trade him for some inflated price?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I would like him as our 3rd string QB, and continually pray that he doesn't hurt himself while sitting down to pee.

rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Bradford is made of glass and has not averaged TWO healthy games in a row for his career. He will be expensive and likely disruptive to our QB room. Hard Pass.

Stanton did not look good against scrubs last preseason, but a veteran presence and steadying influence on Baker is likely helpful. Blough or Gilbert is the rookie we train and sell off for big gain down the road.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Bradford's knee issues started against Carolina when he bailed out-of-bounds on one of those stupid canvass sheets they put on sidelines, and an overzealous LB gave him a push that caused him to slip awkwardly. ACL. His next game the following year was pre-season, the knee obviously hadn't healed back and he went down without being hardly touched. Same knee, another year out.

His next to last season he went lights out. Adam Theilin became an all star receiver under Bradford, and the first game the next year was a masterpiece...but the knee failed again...and another year out, due to arthritic issues. He had some alternative treatment in Europe for it.

At Arizona he never had a chance with that O line...same with Rosen. My point is, Sam has NEVER been out because of a hit, save one game in Philly due to a shoulder. He's been hit hard, and stays in there completing passes. He's as tough as nails.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Shoulder injury in college.

Dude would be a starter now if he could stay just a little bit healthy. He can't.

You can't help the club, if you're in the tub.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Keep in mind I think he would take the back up job but we would have to pay him like $20 mil. For a backup. So quite frankly I don't think it has a chance to happen.

If a poster is actually searching for a QB to compete for the starting position and feels we need to do so then I guess its a great idea.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Bradford would be a GREAT ADDITION to this particular football team ... a PERFECT FIT as a back up ...

100% PERFECT FIT for us ..

V
Legend
Legend
V
Bradford's injury history is a real thing. It's why he isn't starting for an NFL team right now. I'm not debating the guys who keep bringing it up, but we would not bring him as the starter. He would be the back-up.

My ideal situation is that he would be a highly-paid backup who is on a 1-year deal. This team has enough talent to win w/Bradford should Baker get injured. It would be a shame to waste all this offensive talent because of inferior qb play.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It would. I am just not sold we would get inferior play out of Stanton. Sure, it would be inferior compared to Baker, but Stanton wouldn't have to carry the team

He has done a good job as a back-up on a team without as much talent as this team. It's not like the other players are going to give up if baker gets dinged.

I am sure the front office and coaching staff discussed the QB room in great detail over the last few months. They have said they like the group. If they were just saying that and didn't do anything to maybe help the situation, maybe they aren't as crackerjack as many think.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm pretty sure that the powers that be claimed they liked the QB room Sashi assmembled too. What are they going to say? "These guys suck!"?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Backup Quarterback?

Link Copied to Clipboard