Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend

Completely understand what you are saying.

I can only speak for myself about that 07 team.

I never bought into Anderson. Besides the late Bengal game. He attempted throws that made anyone wonder? Dude what were you thinking?

In addition although there was some talent on that team. I don't think it compares well to this team.

Legend
Legend
Wait one!

Now we gotta dress for the Island? I gotta go shopping in November. It will be a public service. naughtydevil

Go, Browns!

Last edited by Bard Dawg; 05/08/19 01:08 PM.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
the DC.

offensive guard, OT.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not worried about Freddie any more of the past bum coaches we have had.

He doesn't seem to have a big ego. Having been a assistant, non-coordinator, he has ground it out year after year. He was worked under some really good coaches, so he knows how to set up a practice schedule.....Heck, he was a first year RB coach pleading with Hue to let guys suit up but not be overly active participants, only to hear about he wasn't the captain of the ship, bla, bla, bla.

He may not end up a good head coach, but I think his ego is in check, he has ground it out for some good coaches, and can relate to players. I think that is all you can want in a new head coach.

Freddie is a Cleveland guy. I don't like to simply say a blue collar guy because white collars don't get much handed to them either, but Freddie has a work ethic. Nothing came easy in the Kitchens house.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Heck, he was a first year RB coach pleading with Hue to let guys suit up but not be overly active participants, only to hear about he wasn't the captain of the ship, bla, bla, bla.

So Freddie ignores analytics. Interesting.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
Heck, he was a first year RB coach pleading with Hue to let guys suit up but not be overly active participants, only to hear about he wasn't the captain of the ship, bla, bla, bla.

So Freddie ignores analytics. Interesting.

I don't think so. I think he embraces the old and the new, just like John.

Just like most smart people would.

Pick all the fights you want. I love ya man. I am not going to engage.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it was you who brought up the same old crap and did not follow the guidelines of the thread.

The reason for resting guys during TC was an analytics decision and that was clearly translated. Let it go, man.

Do you have any concerns w/THIS particular team?

B
Legend
Legend
B
I have stated my concerns or lack of concerns.

I am not going to worry about injury. It happens, but you can't really plan on it. You can't have equal players at all positions.

I worry about John going all in maybe a year or two to soon....we have guys we do need to retain, but I have already said that

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Concerns? At this point I have but one ... And that is, that we are sailing into uncharted waters ...
"Just do it"

Go Browns!!!

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My concern is the OC. He's an "air-raid" guy. That concerns me a bit. Not a lot though. Waiting to see what offense we will be running. I'm hoping we run what we ran last year under Kitchens. If it ain't broke... That was a really good mix of run/pass. Do not want to see us get pass happy.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
My only concern is how much playoff tickets are going to cost me.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Concerns:

1. How we'll handle being the Hunted rather than the Hunter. Teams won't overlook us any more. Will we take any of them lightly? Dorsey and Kitchens are saying the right things now and seem to be cognizant of the potential problem. Still, we haven't had a large sample size of how most of the team handles success at this level. Will we be the team that everyone circles on the calendar and gets their best shot ready for?

2. Hell freezing over. I could see us making the Super Bowl only to have a new Ice Age start before the game is played.

2b. Armageddon-like scenario corollary.

3. Wanting to bleach my eyes out after seeing a live feed from the Island.

4. Injuries, opioids, and other Brownsian bad luck that leaves me shouting, "Are you serious!?!?" and shaking my fist at the sky.

5. People ruining threads by complaining about people ruining other threads, in every thread.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As far as Freddie goes, I "think" his head coaching career is going to be an immense success here.

After that everything is gravy.

Freddie has worked under some impressive coaches. Stallings (college), Saban (college), Whisenhunt & Arians (AZ)

We all know how well he did on short notice as an OC. We also saw the good chemistry he and Baker had.

On defense we have head coaching (all be it inconclusive) and DC experience with Steve Wilkes.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
As far as Freddie goes, I "think" his head coaching career is going to be an immense success here.

After that everything is gravy.

Freddie has worked under some impressive coaches. Stallings (college), Saban (college), Whisenhunt & Arians (AZ)

We all know how well he did on short notice as an OC. We also saw the good chemistry he and Baker had.

On defense we have head coaching (all be it inconclusive) and DC experience with Steve Wilkes.

Really, the only unproven one in his position is Freddie, and that's OK. As I said in another post, I think his ego is in check unlike, well, unlike our previous head coaches.

Freddie will be able to learn from his assistant coaches rather than think he knows it all.

This is the best coaching staff since our return IMO.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
U
Rookie
Rookie
U
I'm just concerned with all the media hype. It feels good to be liked but after getting OBJ everything has been outrageous. It feels great to have a team that should compete after all these dreadful years. Expectations are just way too highly set by outside influences that never , ever believed in our beloved Browns. You know the same voices that used to joke about us at every chance! Whats going to happen when the Browns don't live to their expectations? More trash talking against us? Maybe I'm just suffering from beaten dog syndrome but to hear the word Super Bowl, really!! I want to compete for the division as we haven't won it since before the realignment from AFC Central to now the AFC North. That was a LOOONNGG time ago.
After last year I'm still concerned with our over all defense. Especially stopping the run should be a priority this year as it will make or break this defense. Is adding Vernon and Richardson going to stop teams like Chargers,Chiefs,Colts, or even the Texans? I know we don't play them but if the Browns make the Playoffs, we most likely will play them and need to be ready. I just don't want to be a flash in the pan.

Remember, last off season Jacksonville was favorites and we know how that ended.

Legend
Legend

Agree. I am confident about how Freddie will handle the team and succeed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I thought this was a thread about "Concerns?" Guess not.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I thought this was a thread about "Concerns?" Guess not.

That's concerning.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The huge OVERHYPE of the Browns for next year!
AND our players telling everybody the Browns are going to the SuperBowl and we are creating a dynasty.
AND a NEW FIRST TIME head coach who has to manage all the HYPE and PERSONALITIES.

Despite all the positives, this has the potential to go the wrong direction in a big way!

All the hype and cocky predictions will definitely put a target on our back, especially in the AFCN. Will the Browns IMPLODE internally if we come out of the gate slowly/poorly?

THESE ARE MY CONCERNS!!!!

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
1.how Kitchens can handle the strong egos of Landry and Beckham.
if the Browns are winning..everyone is happy....
but if they hit a 2 game slide.....hmmmm.

2. if Baker gets hurt....then can the backup weather the storm until he returns.

3. how physical or not will the practices be under Kitchen?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
The huge OVERHYPE of the Browns for next year!
AND our players telling everybody the Browns are going to the SuperBowl and we are creating a dynasty.
AND a NEW FIRST TIME head coach who has to manage all the HYPE and PERSONALITIES.

Despite all the positives, this has the potential to go the wrong direction in a big way!

All the hype and cocky predictions will definitely put a target on our back, especially in the AFCN. Will the Browns IMPLODE internally if we come out of the gate slowly/poorly?

THESE ARE MY CONCERNS!!!!

Legit concerns, but ppsshhh don't be too worried. This team is talented and they have every right to have confidence. I would rather have a team that is over confident and beliving than one that is not.

If you're not confidient you're not going to win at anything. Life lessons.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Unfortunately, the team we have right now, this year, might be the most talented we'll have for the next 10 years or so. There's no way we'll be able to pay all our stars, mayfield, obj, garrett, ward, and even landry down the road. We will have to get creative.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Unfortunately, the team we have right now, this year, might be the most talented we'll have for the next 10 years or so. There's no way we'll be able to pay all our stars, mayfield, obj, garrett, ward, and even landry down the road. We will have to get creative.

Mayfield: 4 years left on his rookie contract ...

OBJ: signed through 2023 ... thats 4 or 5 seasons depending on if thats before or after the 23 season

Garret: 3 years left on his rookie contract

Ward: 4 years left on his rookie contract

VG: signed through 2022 ... thats 3 or 4 years before he needs to be re-signed ...

But since were cutting him after this year according to you, we won’t have to OVER PAY for him again .... *LOL* ...

We are going to have a GREAT PROBLEM TO HAVE when it comes to re-signing our guys, but its not all doom and gloom just quite yet when it comes to the cap .... were still a few years away from a possible exodus of good talent ....

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

OBJ: signed through 2023 ... thats 4 or 5 seasons depending on if thats before or after the 23 season

VG: signed through 2022 ... thats 3 or 4 years before he needs to be re-signed ...

But since were cutting him after this year according to you, we won’t have to OVER PAY for him again .... *LOL* ...

We are going to have a GREAT PROBLEM TO HAVE when it comes to re-signing our guys, but its not all doom and gloom just quite yet when it comes to the cap .... were still a few years away from a possible exodus of good talent ....

Just to let you know... as things are right now, we really don't have any cap space heading into the 2020 season. Unless we trade away all our draft picks, we are going to have rookies to sign. Someone is getting cut or will have to restructure their contract after this season. My guess is Landry will be prime for "exodus of good talent."

I don't want you to be disappointed. wink

V
Legend
Legend
V
A reminder to those who have steered away from the thread topic. The original poster made a very thoughtful post on what might derail the season. No one has to agree w/him, but perhaps we could stay on topic instead of all this agenda crap?

Here is what he said again before voicing his own concerns:

Quote:
With the offseason here and nearly 3 months til training camp the hype train is in full motion. I know we try to temper expectations and its only natural as a Browns fan. That being said with free agency and the draft over what are still some concerns you have with the team moving forward that could potentially derail the season?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Agreed...

Diam tried to divert us... I should have ignored his agenda crap.

Other that him, I'd say everyone has been pretty well on topic here.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If there was one thing Browns fans should have learned since Haslam bought the Browns...being #1,#2 or #3 in cap space available wins the franchise NOTHING!

Most Super Bowl competitors spend the cap space allocated by the NFL, rather than saving the cap space.

I'm glad to see the Browns finally try to win something besides
which team is #1 in cap space available...jmho, mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Just to let you know... as things are right now, we really don't have any cap space heading into the 2020 season. Unless we trade away all our draft picks, we are going to have rookies to sign. Someone is getting cut or will have to restructure their contract after this season. My guess is Landry will be prime for "exodus of good talent."

I don't want you to be disappointed. wink

We currently have $33 million in cap space. (top 51, which is what matters) I would guess that we have approximately $5 million in cap allotment with our draft picks. (no 1st, remember)

We're fine for right now.

We will also have several deals that can be terminated to increase cap space. Many of our current contracts do not have a ton of guarantees, which makes it easier to terminate for cap space. We can terminate Kirksey's deal next year for a solid cap savings. Same with Vernon, if we choose. Carrie, Burnett, and yes, even Landry and Richardson have deals that are structured to create cap space if we need to. Those 4 could, if needed, save us almost $50 million next season. We'll see what happens.

This is life in the NFL, though. It is basically a 1 year game. Look at how many players the Patriots typically lose every season. Not everyone on your team is a core player. You identify those core guys, try to keep them, and work in the pieces around them. No team is 100% perfect in every position, from top to bottom of the roster. We're in good shape for this year and next. That's really about all any team can hope for.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
My major concern is now how do I post.
For years I have decided to post positive thing in a logical way to bring some hope to our fans instead of taking the more realistic negatives to just make sound bites of being correct.

Now what? We got us a franchise QB who is better than most will expect. We got a GREAT not good but GREAT WR room with a nucleus of OBJ, Landry, Calloway and Higgins. Is there a better 4 in the NFL?

We got a young and still developing TE in Njoku, I still say Devalve will be a weapon but we got more in the TE room.

We have Chubb, Duke and Hunt as the RB - possibly we will lose Duke down the road but Chubb and Hunt is a pretty good duo at that.

We have a young OL with some veterans who are OK but some youngsters who can progress into something Good.

We have one of the most Amazing front 4 possibly going into the real of EVER ASSEMBLED...start making a name for this group. Orange Crush has been taken in history but some magical name for them cause they will be GREAT!

I guess most will say there is a concern cause we do not have an equally great LB core. But we have the progress of Avery to be expected. The welcoming back of Kirksey who shows that he is a football player. Schobert who plays at a pro bowl level and is consistent along with the new addition of King from the formidable NFL type D of Alabama and our old friend Nick SABAN.

Good young Corners and Safeties that have to progress - I guess the concern is do we have a Top 3 Defense in the NFL to go along with our hopeful Top 3 Offense. The concern I have is how to react to a dynasty and winning team as opposed to the consistent LOSING Organization we have been since 1999.

My concern is how to say THANK YOU to our Owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam as they have delivered on their promise to us. And how do react to a Football Man of tremendous proportions in the likes of JOHN DORSEY...man o man is this going to be fun!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

We currently have $33 million in cap space. (top 51, which is what matters) I would guess that we have approximately $5 million in cap allotment with our draft picks. (no 1st, remember)

We will also have several deals that can be terminated to increase cap space. Many of our current contracts do not have a ton of guarantees, which makes it easier to terminate for cap space. We can terminate Kirksey's deal next year for a solid cap savings. Same with Vernon, if we choose. Carrie, Burnett, and yes, even Landry and Richardson have deals that are structured to create cap space if we need to. Those 4 could, if needed, save us almost $50 million next season. We'll see what happens.

This is life in the NFL, though. It is basically a 1 year game. Look at how many players the Patriots typically lose every season. Not everyone on your team is a core player. You identify those core guys, try to keep them, and work in the pieces around them. No team is 100% perfect in every position, from top to bottom of the roster. We're in good shape for this year and next. That's really about all any team can hope for.

This is correct.

We were just talking about down the road. As things sit now we don't have much room for 2020. I will defer to cfrs, in my opinion he's always been on top of this stuff. If I'm wrong, he'll tell me.

One of the high priced players you named will most likely not be here next season, although it's not guaranteed, there are other things we could do, yes... In my mind Vernon and Landry would be the top two candidates to be moved.

I believe and despite what people are saying or thinking, we are looking to win the Super Bowl this season. We are not spending money just to spend money. Some fans will be happy with playoffs, but I would have to believe the entire organization would be disappointed if we weren't hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

This is correct.

We were just talking about down the road. As things sit now we don't have much room for 2020. I will defer to cfrs, in my opinion he's always been on top of this stuff. If I'm wrong, he'll tell me.

One of the high priced players you named will most likely not be here next season, although it's not guaranteed, there are other things we could do, yes... In my mind Vernon and Landry would be the top two candidates to be moved.

I believe and despite what people are saying or thinking, we are looking to win the Super Bowl this season. We are not spending money just to spend money. Some fans will be happy with playoffs, but I would have to believe the entire organization would be disappointed if we weren't hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February.

Agreed. It won't be a "thing" until it happens...but if we deliver on being a 'winner' like we hope we will...I think you'll see older vets being willing to re-structure to stay on a playoff team that has a chance to win it all...while providing cap relief to keep the train rolling.

That will/would-be the next journey for Browns fans into uncharted territory.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

This thread seemed like the best place to put this post. There certainly are question marks with our OL. What do DawgTalkers think about the Browns rating in this article and the league ratings overall?

Browns OL ranked below average.

[social:tweet]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7bbtaUW0AA2e5f.jpg[/social]

Brandon Thorn ranks NFL Offensive Lines, Browns fare poorly

Pete Smith
by
Pete Smith
12 hrs
In a ranking of offensive lines in some relatively broad categories, the Cleveland Browns were ranked below average and put in the range of the 22nd to 28th best offensive line in the league. It's harsh but fair, though it does have some upside to improve.

Brandon Thorn, host of the Trench Warfare podcast, is an analyst that has really focused his work on the offensive line and he tweeted out a ranking of all 32 NFL teams in six different categories. The Cleveland Browns are in the second lowest ranking of below average along with six other teams. And in terms of what the Browns will have in 2019 that's proven, it's difficult to argue with him.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Brandon Thorn
@BrandonThornNFL
Here are my OL unit tiers. It's obviously early but I feel pretty good about it. I think most units could bump up or down one as the season plays out:

1:13 PM - May 25, 2019
395 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Joel Bitonio is fantastic at left guard. J.C. Tretter had a good year and center on one leg. He may well get some post season honors if he can be healthy for an entire year. Those are two high quality offensive linemen the Browns have up front and perhaps those two warrant having the group bumped up to average.

The problem is the rest of the line is made up of guys the Browns hope to provide average play and a spot that's up in the air to be decided in right guard. Chris Hubbard was average at best and Greg Robinson was enough at left tackle. Both benefited a great deal from Baker Mayfield's ability to work in the pocket and make his tackles look better. It's not a given that Hubbard will win the job either as he faces off against Kendall Lamm in a competition.

Robinson, in a contract year with an opportunity to secure a lucrative contract after this season, seems likely to be no worse than last year, but may take a step forward. He has a ton of reps to learn from and should have more confidence. Robinson has remarkable physical gifts and hopefully this coming season, he can take more advantage of them when it comes to the running game.

Right guard is a question mark, but the Browns do have talented options. Austin Corbett, the team's second round pick from last year and Eric Kush stand out among them. They have Kyle Kalis who has made some noise in OTAs as well. Replacing Kevin Zeitler is an incredibly difficult task and they have to expect some drop off there.

Overall, the list seems solid. It seems like the Minnesota Vikings offensive line is no better than the Browns even if they did draft a very talented center in Garrett Bradbury in the first round. No one is great on that unit and he has them as average.

In a vacuum, it's not unfair to have concerns about the Browns front heading into the season. Beyond cost, the Browns are just hoping to upgrade the unit, likely moving on from both starting tackles. The Browns do have some depth though, so outside of an injury to Bitonio or Tretter, they can survive an injury up front. On the year, they need to get through the year and keep Baker Mayfield up right. If they can do that, it was a successful year.

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/27/19 11:09 AM.
Legend
Legend
What is a Brandon Thorn??

sorry, had to do it lol

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
E
Legend
Legend
E
The OL is returning with the exception of RG Zeitler...our OL got praises last year not sure what this Steeler fan had us ranked last year (they all seem to be Steeler fans...lol laugh )

Its an UNKNOWN...Corbett that is. for all we know he will be better than Zietler? Just as well as he might be Worse than Zietler.

But outside of that our OL is exactly the same as last year. RT n LT are the same. LG and Center are the same. Just the RG change. If I remember we were ranked top 10 in OL at the end of last year. Now bottom around 28th??? lol like how that works.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Didn't I see somewhere that we were looking to make Corbett the back-up Center and we had someone else at RG?

Did I read that here or somewhere else? I don't remember.

Legend
Legend

Didn't I see somewhere that we were looking to make Corbett the back-up Center and we had someone else at RG?

Did I read that here or somewhere else? I don't remember.

We played Corbett at C for part of one day.

You don't take a guy with the 1st pick of the 2nd round one year and make him the backup anything before camp even opens the next.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Exactly. Campen wants to find out who can do what. There are 5 starting OL slots. Each slot doesn't have a designated back-up because it is rare a team keeps 10 O-linemen. They keep 8, maybe 9, so a few of them will need to be back-ups at several positions.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, we aren't "looking to make" anyone anything in OTA's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
As far as biggest concern, mine is I hope C-Town Eats only has one serving area rather than 2 and someone new enters the Club food service options. It's all good, but it has been the same for 5-6 years now. There is a vendor in the lower level who makes a pretty good Philly.

I'd also like to see the Browns Hospitality Group come back. Sometimes they had a carving station set up. Others it would be breakfast burritos. I liked that option.

It cost a bit more, so maybe people didn't make it worth the bother. I know I used them quite a bit.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Go ahead and scrap Street Frites while your at it. If your claim to fame is fries - serving them "cold and old" isn't gonna cut it, regardless of how much fresh rosemary you toss on 'em.

Oh, and Happy Hour after all wins, so I can wait for traffic to thin out. Actually, scratch that too, probably not a good idea lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Concerns you still have

Link Copied to Clipboard