Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1623739 05/13/19 12:34 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The Browns have gone through a massive roster overhaul the last two years. Lot of new guys mixed into the roster.

There will some position battles but not many. It is possible that we will still make some roster moves. We also have a bunch of second year players.

Given what we have currently we could have a number of guys that could have a breakout season.

The guy I think may be a surprise is Genard Avery.

I thought given where he came from the 150th player selected (5th round). He played very well.

He showed he could rush the passer. He did drop into coverage. Not often but he showed he could do it.

He plays hard. Has good size and shows strength. He was a very productive college player.

I expect him to start. He will be challenged by the drafted LB's and maybe others. But I think this guy will stand out.

When you watch this guy closely he is tough to block. He has a nose for the ball.

I think has a second year guy he will be asked to do more and will deliver. As a fifth rounder he is hungry player.

There are others that should break out this year but with the adds to the front four this guy could be very productive.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I was just thinking of starting a “Forgotten Dawgs thread” but this will suffice ... *L* ...

We have some 2nd year guys that didn’t see the filed at all or didn’t see much of it .... we also have some FA’s that are flying under the radar ....

Not sure this is what u were looking for but my breakout dude is a FA signing .... D Harris ... watch out for him ... dudes as freakish an athelete as Njoku and in limited action he doesn’t appear to have the dropsies ... i have HIGH HOPES for this kid ...

Sorry if thats not what u were looking for .... i really like that kid ... he’s definitely gonna improve the room ... question is does he become the alpha in that room ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree that Avery could improve to be a very good player. He looked pretty good as a rookie. But I think the fans can see that and saw his play so it wouldn't be a "big surprises".

So I'll change directions and go with someone they haven't see. I'll go with Austin Corbett. While we haven't seen anything from him, this FO was confident enough in his abilities to let Zeitler go. I don't see this organization creating a big hole in the OL without a plan in place and a reasonable replacement in the wings.

So I'll go with Corbett as the biggest surprise we haven't seen.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Surprise breakout could be guys like Chubb, (even Odell), Callaway, Robinson.

Even though a guy could be established. He could still have a breakout season.

"Surprise" kind of not seen coming.

Avery had a good rookie year but breakout is like pro bowl.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don’t see many surprises with the guys coming back and FA signings as the expectations are already quite high.

So having said that, I’ll say kicker Austin Seibert exceeds expectations and Mack Wilson on defense.

Legend
Legend
Baker Mayfield.

Why not? Sure, he is set up for a huge year ..... but how about a legendary year? What if he throws 50+ TD passes? He threw 27 last year, (in 13.5 games, and that projects to 32 in 16) and he'll have OBJ this year, as well as a more complete control of the offense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
If he throws 50 touchdowns in his second year he will match what Mahommes did in his second year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If he throws 50 touchdowns in his second year he will match what Mahommes did in his second year.

Which I hope he doesn't have to. I would love to have about 70 TDs this year but I want 25 rushing and 40 passing and 5 defense and special teams... that would be awesome.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
The more balanced the better.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Sure maybe he wins MVP.

Myles could win defensive mvp?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If we get solid years out of Calloway, Robinson, Corbett and even Chad Thomas we will be better than expected. Breakout is great but just solid will make us a formidable team.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I love Greedy's ability as a cover corner.

It would not surprise me that he could be in the running for defensive roy.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Maybe not a breakout, but.....

Assuming Duke is no longer with us at the beginning of the season, maybe Dontrell Hilliard will raise some eyebrows. Here's hoping.

Legend
Legend
Hope Avery shows up and performs like crazy. Better front pressure could make him surprising at LB. Our front should shine. Fingers crossed fingerscrossed

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
DeValve

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sione Takitaki

B
Legend
Legend
B
Antonio going to benefit big. Then OBJ....they won't know who to shade.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
If Olivier Vernon can complement Myles with a breakout year, I can't imagine the havoc our defense could wreck.

Legend
Legend
This is rather difficult for me as I think our roster is past 'surprises' at this point because we have so much talent.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
DeValve

The surprise will be if DeValve makes the team.

Legend
Legend
Duke Johnson. I can see him making some huge plays off the bench.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'll go with Sheldrick Redwine.

As Milk Man mentioned, I feel like we've got a strong understanding of what these players are capable of, and many of our young players locked in to starting roles have already "broken out" barring a very high ceiling on the definition of the word.

For that reason, I feel like Redwine is a strong option.

Firstly, because it is hard to imagine a secondary not enjoying an immense benefit from playing behind a defensive front boasting the likes of Garrett, Vernon, Ogunjobi, Richardson, Avery, Schobert and Kirksey. This is a group that should cause significant disruption and force quarterbacks in to making hurried throws while under pressure and prevent offensive plays from consistently developing to a point of success.

Secondly, because the rest of the secondary is a collection of players that teams will be trying to avoid. Ward and Randall are stars. Greedy, Mitchell and Carrie should all be, at worst, solid options who can hold steady coverage. If you are going to force a pass, you're going to try and keep it away from them.

Thirdly, Redwine will be in competition with Morgan Burnett and Eric Murray. The most direct competition is Burnett, due to his experience as a starter, but Burnett was cast off with the Steelers due to his largely disappointing season. He was PFF's 53rd ranked safety and, at 30, isn't a long term answer. The Browns traded for Eric Murray but that may have more to do with the fact Ogbah was a likely cut and Murray is a special teams ace - again, I don't see the expectation as being 'they guy' more so as being a gun special teams addition in exchange for a player who'd been upgraded.

Lastly, Redwine boasts the versatility and natural ability to make an immediate impact. He was drafted as a senior with playing time across all four seasons, with the last two being a full-time starter at safety, so he's as experienced as rookies come. He showed year-to-year improvement since the transition; and I've seen plenty regarding him being highly-coachable and really wanting it; he still has Sean Taylor's autograph and wants to emulate his idol's play - even going as far as reaching out to Taylor's father following a difficult loss following his junior season.

I'll link the story below this paragraph because it is fascinating, but essentially it documents some things I find very interesting; Redwine reached out to Taylor after a tough loss because he wanted to improve, Taylor lauds his work ethic, Redwine's coaches feel he improved because he found his sense of urgency on the field and he's as good as any safety now that he's got it, and Redwine is basically a Brown because Alonzo Highsmith (Miami Alum) "knows he's going to get a lot better."

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05...herapeutic.html

He's got the athletic ability to have success, he's got the size, he's shown consistent improvement and he's got the right mentality. Betting against a guy like that having success isn't a hill I'd want to die on.

While he's understandably raw, he'll be competing against average veterans for a position in a defense that is incredibly favourable for a SS. That might not only be enough to get him the opportunity, but to see him have a very strong rookie season for a 4th round pick.

Wilks also had a young player (Budda Baker, 2nd year) break out last year after opting for him over Tre Boston until injury forced them both in to the line-up, so we know Wilks won't shy away from giving a young player the nod.

The more I see of Redwine, the more excited I am for what he offers.

I think he could be our breakout player.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

You make a strong case for him.

I was familiar with the Sean Taylor part but not much else.

It would be a great add if he turns out.

I will pay close attention to his progress.

"Breakout" the way I was thinking about it is: a guy who before might have had limited playing time and becomes a bonafide player.

Or a starter who becomes a pro bowler. Or, possible a guy like Sheldon Richardson who just becomes a force and has great year.

Or, a guy like Myles that truly has a breakout year where he leads the league in sacks and maybe wins the defensive MVP.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but I'll say Myles Garrett. I think with if the DL stays healthy, he has a pretty good chance to break the 20 sack mark. If you were to ask me what bold prediction I'd have for the season, it'd be that he sets a new sack record (22.5 Strahan).

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
DeValve

The surprise will be if DeValve makes the team.

OK, so I have a prediction and you have a prediction...and?

Get ready to be surprised twice. Devalve makes the team and he has a breakout season.

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/14/19 07:06 AM.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I don't know if he would be considered a breakout player but I think Sheldon Richardson will finally become the force that he has the tools to be. He has flirted with dominance at times but has seemed to under achieve. I think he finally puts it all together with the Browns.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The young talent, rookies and 2nd year guys...too many to name just one...Avery certainly is near the top of the list, behind Mayfield...Corbett is going to get his chance...don't forget Chubb.

A special note on Denzel Ward...his NFL career could be in question due to concussions. We need to face the fact that Ward could not stay on the field last season due to concussions and one more early in the season would cause great concern.
...Ward should be wearing the best possible helmet to protect his brain and hopefully the Browns were working during the off-season to find the best way to protect Ward from future concussions.

From the 2019 draft class, both LBs drafted this year, along with the cb and s ..I'll be watching them.

...and we have no idea of the type of talent that might come from our UDFA class...there could be some surprises.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chad Thomas.

I'm focusing on the surprise portion of the title.

His college highlights aren't super impressive, but he flashes a lot more inside in sub packages than he does on the edge. Didn't get a ton of finishes but he was pretty disruptive in Miami's bowl game against Wisconsin (just re-watched it). Knocking back guards and splitting double teams. Pretty good hand usage. Not great bend, but not as important at 3-tech.

Gerald McCoy is actually one of the comparisons for him that pops up on mockdraftable.

Curious to see how we use him and what he does this year when healthy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Before I read just your title, not your post, and Avery was the first player to my mind. I really think this dude could turn out to be a James Harrison type player.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The thing that jumps off the page is strength and instinct.

He can get off blocks. His bull rush is powerful. He shows quickness to get under blockers. He plays with full effort at all times.

When we drafted him I didn't know a thing about him. I started watching his college tape and my first thought was: "how was this guy available in the fifth round?"

He was very productive in college.

Glad we got him. This year I believe he will show up big time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe Antonio Calloway has the talent to be the #1 on close to half the teams in the league already. Gotta remember, the guy didn't play at all the year before. With Odell and Landry garnering all the help. He is one on one against the oppositions 3rd to the 5th best DB and you throw in the best RB room in football. Teams go zone and he can quick slant you to death. He may be the most dangerous offensive weapon we have and probably the least likely person on offense for a team to gameplan for.

Folks we have the makings of not only one of the best offenses in the league, this could be one of the best offenses the league has ever seen. A lot will depend on Health and the team willing to put in the work but the potential for greatness is there.

Legend
Legend
Callaway is a god pick, especially given our talent around him

I'm also hoping Njoku keeps coming on

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Callaway is a god pick

Yeah, I mean Dorsey is good, but God? I don't know.....

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't have a surprise breakout player because I would not be surprised if any player, who will not be cut in 2019, breaks out.

The players that came to mind were Genard Avery but I would not be surprised if he gets 8-10 sacks. Rashard Higgins but I think he is actually pretty good and, with opportunity, could be productive. Antonio Callaway but I feel like he already kind of broke out the end of last year. David Njoku but he's a physical freak who if you told me he turned into the best tight end in the league I would not be surprised.

In the end the best answer, to me, is probably some offensive linemen. If Desmond Harrison or Greg Robinson turned into a lock down left tackle I would be shocked but I would not pick either to do so.

We have built such a solid roster that basically everything is in the realm of possibilities for me.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Breaking News: Hollywood been breakout

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
This thread is about breakout player, but God was mentioned and so was Dorsey....God is God and he really doesn't care about football. Dorsey has proven he's best GM we've had in decades...my breakout isn't a player, but the HEAD COACH...Freddie Kitchens. He's got to balance all the egos, the talent, and the fact there is only ONE football and build a WINNING team- factor in we've had TWO winning seasons in twenty years and not many in 80s and 90s- hell of lot of losing to overcome. Yes it's all in rearview mirror, but overcoming that legacy will be a challenge. The first loss when we SHOULD have won will be HUGE challenge....I think Freddie has the ability to LEAD the way.....we are a sleeping giant, hope the cards finally fall our way......GO Browns!!!!

Last edited by hitt; 05/19/19 11:24 AM.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Agreed, hitt.

However, something inside of me won't let me believe that God doesn't care about football. It can't be true!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Austin Corbett.

It's a thought that occurred to me around the time we made the trade(s) with the Giants. Granted, we got a couple really good players from the Giants. We also gave up a couple good players and I think our interior line play, including Zeitler, was a big part of our offensive success down the stretch last year.

Now I know that this is the league where 5,000 yard passers are becoming somewhat common, and nobody cares about guards anymore. But still, there are some terrific interior pass rushers in the league these days and you better have somebody to stop them because pressure up the middle is extremely disruptive.

This is especially true when having a shorter QB, as having a guard get pushed back in the pocket severely affects the QB's vision.

This brings me back to Corbett, the the 33rd overall pick last year. We all agree that Dorsey is a great talent evaluator and I don't think he would trade away Zeitler unless he was really confident Corbett could step into his place.

We happened to have three good interior linemen last year who all played 100% of the offensive snaps, so us fans can't really evaluate Corbett based on a very limited amount of snaps in heavy packages. The coaching staff and front office has a much better handle of how he has developed. Guess we'll find out.

Legend
Legend
Watched a little of the Video of OTA's.. Jhavonte Dean stood out... Then a few days later, they got an article about him on the main site..

Not sure he'll be a breakout player, but I'm rooting for him...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Surprise breakout player

Link Copied to Clipboard