Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend

Todd Monken: Baker Mayfield wants to be great

Denzel Ward: Excited to see the tandem Greedy and I can be

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Notes: Todd Monken gives front office inside scouting report on free agent DT Gerald McCoy

https://www.brownszone.com/2019/05/22/no...t-gerald-mccoy/

BEREA — The front office sought out new offensive coordinator Todd Monken for inside information on free agent defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, and Monken provided plenty of insight after spending three years with McCoy in Tampa Bay as the Buccaneers’ offensive coordinator.

Monken said he wasn’t going to share the conversation with reporters, then elaborated anyway.

“I think a lot of Gerald,” he said Wednesday before an organized team activities practice. “Gerald has had a tremendous career and was an outstanding football player for us. He’s a great person.

“I won’t comment anything else about it — I know I can because he’s a free agent and they’ve let him go. Other than that, there were some other things that we talked about, but I like Gerald a lot.”

McCoy is available after the Buccaneers released him Monday because they were unwilling to pay the $13 million salary and couldn’t find a trade partner. The Browns have expressed interest and are among the teams that intrigue McCoy as he looks to join a playoff contender, according to a Cleveland.com report.

He was the No. 3 pick of the 2010 draft and is a six-time Pro Bowler.

The Browns signed free agent tackle Sheldon Richardson to a three-year, $37 million contract in March and have promising third-year tackle Larry Ogunjobi, so they are unlikely to get into a bidding war for McCoy. But for the right price, he would give the Browns an impressive three-man rotation on the interior of the line.

NO CLOWN SHOW

Monken is amused by quarterback Baker Mayfield.

To borrow a line from “Goodfellas,” he doesn’t think he’s a clown.

“You can certainly see the competitive spirit. The best way I can put it is: He likes to have fun but he’s not a clown,” Monken said. “I think people misconstrue how much fun he likes to have playing the game and around people, but I’m telling you when you’re in the meetings and you’re out here, he wants to be coached, he wants to be great. He’s a serious guy when it comes to the game of football.”

The Browns have had five OTAs practices, which is enough for Monken to get a sense of his new quarterback’s skill set.

“Tremendous arm talent,” he said. “And really, really has a unique knack once he gets outside the pocket to see receivers down the field and throw it accurately.”

Monken and Mayfield have experience in the Air Raid system, which means they like to play with tempo, without a huddle and in the shotgun. But Monken said it’s too early to tell how much of that will be incorporated in the offensive collaboration between him and coach Freddie Kitchens, who will call the plays.

NOT AROUND

Receivers Rashard Higgins, Damion Ratley and Blake Jackson got plenty of work with the first-team offense as Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry and Antonio Callaway — the team’s top three wideouts — weren’t on the practice field.

Beckham has attended one of the five OTAs sessions and just three days since the voluntary offseason program began April 1. Monken said that’s not ideal for Mayfield, and that he hasn’t been in contact with Beckham when he’s away.

** Running back Duke Johnson also continued his absence. He’s requested a trade and hasn’t attended any of the offseason program.

** Defensive ends Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon also were absent, leaving Chris Smith and Chad Thomas as the starters.

** Strong safety Morgan Burnett, receiver Derrick Willies, cornerbacks Donnie Lewis Jr. and Juston Burris and defensive tackle Brian Price worked on the side with the athletic training staff.

SIGHTS AND SOUNDS

Rookie cornerback Greedy Williams, a second-round pick, was part of the first-team nickel package. He and Denzel Ward played outside, with TJ Carrie in the slot. Jermaine Whitehead was the strong safety in place of Burnett.

** Linebacker Christian Kirksey intercepted Mayfield when Jackson didn’t look for a pass over the middle.

** Rookie safety Sheldrick Redwine, a fourth-round pick, intercepted a deflected pass downfield. He previously allowed a deep touchdown catch by receiver D.J. Montgomery.

** Kickers Greg Joseph and Austin Seibert each went 3-for-4 in a field goal drill. Joseph, the incumbent, missed from 37 yards. Seibert, a rookie fifth-round pick, missed from 42 with a low liner left.

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 05/22/19 06:15 PM.

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks to you and P-Dawg for all the updates. Much appreciated.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Steve Wilks: The identity of our defense will be how well our corners tackle

I was afraid of that. I've brought this point up in a few threads, including the Cover 2 thread.

Wilks played more zone than any DC in the league when he was in Carolina. I think Cover 3 is fine for our personnel and so is Cover 1.

I really don't want us to play much Cover 2, but no other coverage asks its corners to tackle more than Cover 2. Hell, I don't like Cover 2 anyway and I sure as heck don't like it w/our personnel.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

You gotta remember, an Owner is only as good as those he hires to run the team? If he/she gets it wrong, then keep trying till you get it right.

It appears that they got it right with Dorsey.

When you think about it, which would you rather have..

The Bengals who stayed with Marv for all those years, even after it was clear he could only get them so far? Or the Browns who kept hitting the reset button in hopes the next one would be the right one?

There is an argument for both. I believe in the old tried and true method..... Hire Slow, fire fast. And yeah, at times I've wanted to hang with what we had....but each time, I've ended up wrong.

I agree. Nobody can say say Jimmy hasn't tried to get it right and win. To me, that is all a fan can ask.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 05/22/19 07:49 PM.

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

I really don't want us to play much Cover 2, but no other coverage asks its corners to tackle more than Cover 2. Hell, I don't like Cover 2 anyway and I sure as heck don't like it w/our personnel.

See, I got lost on that other thread about Cover 2,3,0, 9, etc. I guess I'm not THAT interested in learning the true details of football. Too much coach speak makes me get sleepy lol.

But I like little tidbits like the one you provided, especially the one about not having corners that don't have a rep for tackling. Didn't we bring in Ward and Greedy to cover?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, it's not that complicated. Seriously. You are a smart guy. Go back and read what I said about each coverage in the Cover 2 thread. It's really very simple.

I'll make it even more simple even if it isn't completely accurate due to some details.

Cover 0: Everyone plays a man and no one plays an area.

Cover 1: Everyone plays a man except for a deep safety who provides over the top support. Hint...he's the "1."

Cover 2: The field is split into halves. Get it? Divide by 2.

Cover 3. The field is split into thirds. Get it? Divide by 3.

Cover 4. The field is divided into fourths. Get it? Divide by 4.

Cover 6. It's a combination of Cover 2 and Cover 4. Get it? 2 plus 4 equals 6.

Note: When I say divided, I am talking about horizontally, rather than vertically.

L
Legend
Legend
L
.you mean divided sideline-to-sideline?

Last edited by lampdogg; 05/22/19 08:31 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes.

For example........in Cover 3.........the corner to one side is responsible for any receiver who is outside the hash marks on his side of the field. The same goes for the corner on the other side of the field. The FS is responsible for the deep zones in between the hashes. The SS and LBers patrol the shallow and intermediate middle of the field, but 1 of them is also asked to cover the flat.

It's simple math. Divide the horizontal field into thirds.

Does that make sense?

L
Legend
Legend
L
It actually does , and I'm not saying that just to blow smoke.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
cool

L
Legend
Legend
L
Question though - and this is probably the last one cuz I don't want to bore everybody with my lack of X and O knowledge - which safety or LB is responsible if a CB gets beat outside?

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
The FS provides help on deep passes.

The LBers and SS cover zones horizontally across the field and that can change a bit due to the offense flooding one side of the field.

V
Legend
Legend
V
With all of what I said on numerous threads.....here is my wish.

I think the Browns should obviously mix up their coverages like every other team, but w/our personnel, I think we should play a lot of Cover 3 [zone] and Cover 1 [man.]

I think we should stay as far away from Cover 2 as possible. It's asking for trouble. I mean, you gotta put it in the mix occasionally, but just do it to provide a different look.

I know what I'm talking about on this particular subject. I hope Wilks doesn't screw this up.

C
Legend
Legend
C
According to practice reports we are running almost exclusively a 4-2-5 defense with Kirksey and Schobert at linebacker. Genard Avery is playing exclusively on the edge. When there are three linebackers Adarius Taylor is the third linebacker (I'd expect that to be Takitaki or Wilson by training camp).

L
Legend
Legend
L
It's settled.

Btw.....
What is a 2-4-5 defence called?

gmstrong

-----------------

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
In the US it's a nickel.I'm not sure what the Canadian equivalent would be.A quid or a quif maybe.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
V
Legend
Legend
V
Do you mean a 4-2-5?

It's just a variation of the 4-3 defense that takes one LBer off the field and adds a secondary guy.

However, I'll say this again.......defensive alignments should not be confused w/coverages.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I want to bring this up again because no one has replied to it and perhaps people missed it. I think it is noteworthy because we had several conversations about what coverages Wilks will use and if he will deviate from his past history and employ a defense that suits are talent.

I'll be frank..........his comment is concerning.

Quote:

I was afraid of that. I've brought this point up in a few threads, including the Cover 2 thread.

Wilks played more zone than any DC in the league when he was in Carolina. I think Cover 3 is fine for our personnel and so is Cover 1.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I agree. I believe it is concerning as well.

Dorsey and Kitchens and the whole lot of them seem to be a bright bunch. So Wilks's comment doesn't seem to make much sense unless Kitchens promised Wilks complete autonomy and he's a system guy no matter the talent of the players.

I'd be ok if Ward and Greedy never had to tackle.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Funny how no one is bashing Burns here but if Doug Lesmerises alludes to it.... rofl

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'd sit up and take more notice if we start getting into training camp and the 2nd rounder is still sitting behind a UDFA.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'd sit up and take more notice if we start getting into training camp and the 2nd rounder is still sitting behind a UDFA.

I completely agree w/ you. I simply enjoy irony, that's all.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Bro, it's not that complicated. Seriously. You are a smart guy. Go back and read what I said about each coverage in the Cover 2 thread. It's really very simple.

I'll make it even more simple even if it isn't completely accurate due to some details.

Cover 0: Everyone plays a man and no one plays an area.

Cover 1: Everyone plays a man except for a deep safety who provides over the top support. Hint...he's the "1."

Cover 2: The field is split into halves. Get it? Divide by 2.

Cover 3. The field is split into thirds. Get it? Divide by 3.

Cover 4. The field is divided into fourths. Get it? Divide by 4.

Cover 6. It's a combination of Cover 2 and Cover 4. Get it? 2 plus 4 equals 6.

Note: When I say divided, I am talking about horizontally, rather than vertically.

The math doesn't trip me up, it's the responsibilities in those 'zone' coverages and the 'what-ifs' once the ball is snapped.

The Cover 3 Pattern Match - that is discussed earlier in this thread - is the one that makes the most sense to me. Essentially, playing 'man' on the outside with 'zone' on the inside. If only one eligible receiver is in your 'zone', don't you need to man-up on that guy? If a second guy comes into your zone, who else is supposed to come help defend?

Lastly, busting a zone defense in basketball can be done with good outside shooting. What busts up the various defensive coverage in football? My thoughts:

Cover 0 - Seems like you need a lot of good cover guys or you roll the dice...offenses will likely pick on the 'worst' cover guy on the field.

Cover 1 - Similar to Cover 0, but with a safety blanket...works with good man-cover CBs. I'm guessing that the FS in this coverage could be deep-ish middle or rolled to either side pre-snap;

Cover 2 - Requires that your CBs are good and willing tacklers (this I learned from you). But that's all I understand about the Cover 2 (that and the field is split in 2);

Cover 3 - All I know is that the field is split in 1/3s.

I'll stop there as I will just be redundant with my understanding of Cover 2 or 3. I'll add that contributing to the confusion - for me anyway - is this:

Cover 0 and cover 1 are referring to the # of players. In these cases, essentially the # of guys who 'have your back'...0 or 1. Cover 2, Cover 3 and Cover 4 refer to the splitting up of the field and really no reference to the # of players.

I mentioned earlier that there is jargon in these numbering schemes that make sense when you understand the jargon. Your list is certainly helpful for guys like me who don't/didn't know the jargon. Now I can get into trying to identify the coverage and who is responsible for what. Much appreciated.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah, I thought it was a great explanation. Now, at least I understand the very basics of Cover 2.

Next I'm gonna try to wrap my head around Cover 3....

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
In the US it's a nickel.I'm not sure what the Canadian equivalent would be.A quid or a quif maybe.

Lol.... quif... smile I don't know why but that's funny

gmstrong

-----------------

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
http://smartfootball.com/passing/attacking-coverages-in-the-passing-game#sthash.bWwLNsj6.dpbs

Here's a good, quick and extensive article about the weaknesses of each coverage, while also diagramming the coverage responsibilities.

For zone, you're suppose to play your man through your zone and help pass him off to the defender next to you while still maintaining your zone responsibility. Mesh concepts are some of the best ways to exploit this concept, which is sending two players to run across the field on a slant or drag route. Ideally they arrive in the zone at the same time, making the inside guy (usually a linebacker) commit to one WR. There are also wrinkles OCs throw into these mesh concepts like a third WR running a button hook in the inside zone, so even if the inside zones pick up the crossing routes, the button hook becomes open. Or they'll send a RB into the flat where a defender who is covering the crossing route is supposed to be.

These concepts are one of the main reasons pattern recognition is so important for linebackers in today's NFL. If you understand how the offense wants to attack you, then you know your guy will only be running a handful of routes to do so. This is where Schobert, who might not have world class athleticism really excels at. He's a great coverage linebacker because of his ability to maintain his zone and not get exploited.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Funny how no one is bashing Burns here but if Doug Lesmerises alludes to it.... rofl

Maybe because Burns knows football and Lesmerises doesn't.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I mentioned earlier that there is jargon in these numbering schemes that make sense when you understand the jargon. Your list is certainly helpful for guys like me who don't/didn't know the jargon. Now I can get into trying to identify the coverage and who is responsible for what. Much appreciated.

You're welcome.

I didn't get back to you on another post where you talked about it's hard to recognize the coverages on TV. You're absolutely right because the camera doesn't give us the end zone shots of how both teams are lining up very often.

We mostly have to either be at the game or see play breakdowns similar to the stuff that Burns has been putting out there.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Yeah, I thought it was a great explanation. Now, at least I understand the very basics of Cover 2.

Next I'm gonna try to wrap my head around Cover 3....

Cover 3 is the zone coverage I hope we use the most of this year. I'll try and give another simple explanation.

--You see a lot of Cover 3 on first and second down because it's good not only against the pass, but against the run.

--It's typically run in rush 4 and drop 7 plays.

--The corner on each side is responsible for his third of the field. In high school and college, it's outside the hashes, but the hashes are closer together in the NFL.

--The corners cover the WR in their part of the field, but pass him off to others if the receiver drifts out of their zone.

--The corners typically line up about 7 yards deep.

--The FS has a very similar responsibility as he does in Cover 1. He plays deep middle and provides support over the top as well as the middle intermediate passes.

--The SS is important against the run, but can cover the TE the shallow middle, and the flat.

--If there are three LBers, one might cover the TE or the flat. The other two drop into the intermediate range on passing plays and can pick up outside receivers who venture over the middle of the field.

--I'd say the weaknesses of Cover 3 are that it isn't designed to be really strong at stopping the run or the pass and is instead designed to give you a run/pass balance. I actually like it for that reason, but it's not geared to be great against. Thus, you might want to come out of it on really short or long yardage situations. It's also not the best at stopping short passes because the corners can taken way down the field by the WR in their zone.

Does that help? I can answer more questions if need be.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is a basic diagram of Cover 3. I don't like how they used the phrase: "three deep safeties" because it might confuse some folks. They are talking about the FS has the deep middle and the two corners cover deep on their third of the field. Well, most of the time. This is just a basic diagram.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is a basic diagram of Cover 2. Maybe it will help those of you who are interested to read the Cover 2 and Cover 3 descriptions in this thread and the Cover 2 thread and then look at the diagrams. Kinda go back and forth. That should be helpful.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Btw------do any of you see the weaknesses of Cover 2? It's easier to identify than Cover 3 weaknesses.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Seam routes exploit Cover 2 nicely as I recall.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Hammer

More specifically, one WR into each deep zone then have your TE chip and release into a seam route. The chip will add enough delay to get the WR deep and take the Safeties away, clearing the middle for the TE.

Extra credit. Run a RB or a second TE across and have him sit down in the middle and turn to stare at the QB right away to freeze the LB covering that area, then the primary TE releases into the seam with nothing near him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Yep. You're right because you can split the seam between the two safeties. Especially w/a TE.

Also, you are asking your safeties to cover deep WRs down the sideline. That can be devastating.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Back to Cover 3 for a moment. Here is a really simple Cover 3 explanation from a high school coach.

He's not very entertaining, but if you combine his diagram w/what I said earlier, it might all come together for those of you who are interested.

I chose this video because cfrs said we are running a ton of 4-2-5 defenses so far. It's cool to see, but you can also sub a LBer in for one of the safeties who is closer to the LOS and it's a 4-3 look.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

Yep. You're right because you can split the seam between the two safeties. Especially w/a TE.

Also, you are asking your safeties to cover deep WRs down the sideline. That can be devastating.

A lot of it comes down to personnel. For example, the Colts under Polian and Dungy used cover 2 as their base scheme.

Polian's philosophy was that cover corners are expensive, so why bother with those. Use the big resources (first round picks) on pass rushers and offensive players, hence Freeney, Mathis, Tarik Glenn, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and probably a few others (it's nice to be able to build around Peyton Manning.)

Since the corners' coverage ability isn't prioritized in cover 2, they could get those guys cheaply.

I'm not saying this is an ideal way to build a team mind you, just bringing it up as an example. I agree with our very skilled cornerback bunch that playing cover 2 a lot is a waste, but I do think you have to play it sometimes for variety.

Outside corners can jam/force the outside receivers inside and one of the linebackers can cover the tight end on a seam route, as in the old Tampa 2. Not my favorite defense but it can still be effective with a good pass rush.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Btw------do any of you see the weaknesses of Cover 2? It's easier to identify than Cover 3 weaknesses.

The one obvious point (based on your earlier posts) is you're having your CBs patrol areas along the LOS instead of LBs like in cover 3. That means they'll not only be hitting WRs, but also RBs and potentially fighting through blocks by linemen and FBs? Your CBs better like and know how to hit and get hit.

Also, you have a whole bunch of field covered by your safeties. What happens when you have more than 2 receivers break into those zones with the QB still able to throw the ball (rush didn't get there)? Hopefully those 2 safeties can read the QB and react quickly when the ball comes out, and have speed to close.
edit: yeah, what Prp said

Last edited by oobernoober; 05/23/19 03:22 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OTAs interviews

Link Copied to Clipboard