Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
What are the double standards you are talking about?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Definition:
The definition of assault varies by jurisdiction, but is generally defined as intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. Physical injury is not required.

rofl

And people wonder why the term snowflake has become so popular.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If you are going to talk about snowflakes, start with people who get offended when somebody says something mean about them. Or they get so rattled by somebody saying the wrong word that they actually think words = violence. Those are the real snowflakes.

Somebody gets pushed over a metal gate, that is a textbook case of assault and/or battery, depending on the jurisdiction. A mild form of it to be sure, but you fall onto a metal gate and see what happens. You'll probably just get a bruise, but I've seen people throw their backs out from less. If acknowledging that makes me a snowflake, then so be it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Definition:
The definition of assault varies by jurisdiction, but is generally defined as intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. Physical injury is not required.

rofl

And people wonder why the term snowflake has become so popular.

I would guess that definition was part of the assault statutes a long time before anyone ever used "snowflake" as a pejorative. Whatever your opinion of it may be, it is the law.

Legend
Legend
I've seen worse in our hospital cafeteria line when they're running low on home made cheesecake....and that's by the senior citizen volunteers!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Haus
If you are going to talk about snowflakes, start with people who get offended when somebody says something mean about them. Or they get so rattled by somebody saying the wrong word that they actually think words = violence. Those are the real snowflakes.

Here's the issue....

Quote:
intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact

The word intent and apprehension are purely subjective terms. I've seen people get apprehensive when they see a bee. I've seen people get so upset they appear to be very angry. Maybe they are. So since that makes someone else apprehensive, are they guilty of assault because the person was angry?

It's just plain stupidity and a way the law can be misused to fit a prosecutors agenda.

Actually this fits your very description of words equal violence since no violence actually needs to occur.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
"reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact."

Quote:
The word intent and apprehension are purely subjective terms. I've seen people get apprehensive when they see a bee. I've seen people get so upset they appear to be very angry. Maybe they are. So since that makes someone else apprehensive, are they guilty of assault because the person was angry?

Who would be guilty of assault, the bee? What are you even talking about?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I made it simple enough for the third grader. Maybe I should make it more complicated for you? When there is no physical contact, you have no idea if there would have been. Just because someone feels apprehensive does not mean the other person committed a crime.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's where the word reasonable comes in.

Say you go up to someone with a raised and clenched fist and say, "I'm going to punch your lights out!", that is assault. The actual punching part is battery although definitions can vary on this depending on the jurisdiction.

What Zeke did is misdemeanor battery, that is exactly what Las Vegas police called it, but the security guard refused to press charges, which effectively ends a case like this. It can still be seen plain as day on video:

https://youtu.be/BvmMULX9WTQ?t=70

Zeke goes up to the security guard, who is just standing there, and Zeke says "You got something to say?" Zeke then bodies into him and extends his right forearm/elbow into the security guard, making him fall over and onto a metal gate.

You can click the link above which starts right before the incident. What do you see?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
A particularly good comment from some dawg over at PFT (not me):

Originally Posted By: dirtdawg53
The world is full of tough guys who think it isn’t a problem when a man interferes with a woman, or leans into a security guard.

Okay. Imagine any scenario where you’re not wanting to have a conversation with someone. And imagine that person is 2X, 3x, maybe 4x stronger than you. There is zero doubt they can lay a severe beating on you, if they choose. And they’re arguing with you. And you’re trying not to. But they keep cutting you off, getting in your way, following you around, preventing you from being clear of the situation.

Is that okay? Is it? Now try and use whatever limited cranial capacity you have. Is there any scenario where you think this is okay. Here, let me help you. It’s not okay.

Stop defending the undefensible.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yep I see where Zeke was following him around and verbally threatening him. The law and the prosecutor has the right to file their own charges irrespective of the victim if they see something they deem worth pursuing.

They chose not to. That alone speaks volumes.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm sure it was a practical decision. Misdemeanor battery with no injury, going against top-notch lawyers without a cooperating witness, it's kind of hard to fault the prosecutor for not pursuing it.

Still, the video shows what the video shows. Don't be surprised if it ends up getting Zeke a suspension, especially since he's already a repeat offender under the personal conduct policy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Nothing surprises me anymore. I mean look at the mountain being made out of this mole hill already.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's always nice to pair that third grade logic with third grade sayings. Very congruent. wink

P
Legend
Legend
P
#snowflake

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Must have been a formal date. Zeke is that special in special ways. Dunce-man!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Haus
It's always nice to pair that third grade logic with third grade sayings. Very congruent. wink

I have to keep things simple for some people. Wouldn't want it to fly over their heads.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Jer must have called Rog and had a chat.
Honest question to the board... If Zeke weren’t a Cowboy do you think this would have played out differently?
He did lean in on, and ostensibly shove a security guard to the ground... while publicly intoxicated... while having a past record of behaviors noted by the NFL...

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good question. It's hard to say. There has been a combination of lack of transparency and lack of consistency from Goodell and the NFL when it comes to levying punishment.

There easily could have been some back room deals or whatever. Or maybe Goodell thought he went a bit too hard on Zeke the first time around and cut him a break on this one. Who knows.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Jones and Goodell are rivals after the Commish unfairly suspended Zeke for 6 games a couple of years ago and Jones suggested getting rid of Goodell. So no, I don't think there is any favoritism at all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Zeke Elliott at it again...

Link Copied to Clipboard