Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
To me, leaving Balt without signing a deal is more telling than leaving Cle without doing so. Maybe I am misreading things.

I don't believe you are misreading the situation at all. Leaving Baltimore without signing puts us back in the picture. In fact, I predict he signs with us by Thursday latest...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
Has he left Baltimore? I thought he overnighted there to continue talks today ...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I heard he's still there... maybe doing some crabcakes for breakfast or something...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dave
Has he left Baltimore? I thought he overnighted there to continue talks today ...

Yes, this is my understanding as well.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Dawg .... u realize your beating a dead horse with menZas that think VG is overpaid but wish the dude who brought us Kenny Britt was still here .... i guess bringing VG here with their hero’s QB rooms would have been a complete waste of VG’s talent .... rofl ...

Just curious...who the heck is wishing Sashi was still here??? Is it Sashi here for the $$$ issues and have Dorsey here for the Football stuff??? I cannot remember anyone stating they wish Sashi over Dorsey??? I skim over a lot of posts so might have missed it.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I confess I am clearly biased but IF McCoy is about winning IMO there is no comparison between Baltimore and Cleveland. Yes Baltimore won the division last year, that won't happen this year.

Cleveland has the better QB/offense, and a much better Defense again don't care if Baltimore had #1 Defense last year. With or without McCoy Baltimore won't win the division that honor will be Cleveland's again with or without McCoy.

My point is if McCoy views Baltimore as the Browns equal he needs to get his eyes checked, Baltimore is a sinking ship with Jackson piloting them to the Bottom.

So if its about winning McCoy will be a Brown.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Happy birthday, Cap!

Thanks, device.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
we'll see if he signs in BALT today

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
If they can possibly survive a ball control (running game) offense with a top 3 defense in this day and age then they can pull it off.

I seriously doubt it. And I don't think they will have a top 10 defense...if they do. It will be because statistically teams just need 18 points to beat them and will spend time running the clock as they lead 14-3 mid 3rd quarter so that statistically their Defense shows up big time but its fools gold.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
L
Legend
Legend
L
unless Jackson has learned how to throw, and based on his comments and observations from their OTA's he hasn't. They aren't going anywhere. A qb that can't throw will not win when it counts. Say he's the next Vick? how many superbowls did Vick lead his team to. How about Brees or Wilson..yep, I like our QB alot more. They don't even have recievers better than AC, let alone vice grips and OBJ

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I thought I saw something where he left their facility at 7pm. Could be wrong.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
figures, like i said..last person always has the advantage.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Happy Birthday to the man who keeps PARADISE ISLAND hydrated ... guess there stuck with me bartending on the Isle today ... sorry dawgs ... *L* ...

- i haven’t heard he left yet .... my post was based on him spending the night and continuing in this morning ...

- i said when he left here if the left ratville w/o signing we’d be in great shape ... as that was his only other visit at that time and that was supposedly out of loyalty to his old OL coach ...

Since then its leaked he may have another visit scheduled .. his agent was vague .... so if he leaves the rats w/o signing it depends on WHY .... if its cause he promised another visit somewhere that popped up since the rats visit then who knows where the heck we stand ...

If he leaves and has no other visits were in GREAT SHAPE IMO ...

What is clear ... the rats visit was a lot more than simply a courtesy visit and this dude don’t care that much about winning ....

We should hear sometime soon either way about weather he ends up in RATVILLE or has another visit scheduled or if its negotiation time ....

COME ON GERALD ... DO THE RIGHT THING ... thumbsup

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
If they can possibly survive a ball control (running game) offense with a top 3 defense in this day and age then they can pull it off.

I seriously doubt it. And I don't think they will have a top 10 defense...if they do. It will be because statistically teams just need 18 points to beat them and will spend time running the clock as they lead 14-3 mid 3rd quarter so that statistically their Defense shows up big time but its fools gold.

jmho

Agree 100% tabber ... we ROASTED that D in week 17 and that with Bake as a rook and no Hunt or OBJ .... WAIT TIL THIS YEAR .... there losses coupled with our gains .... LOOK THE F OUT!!!!

Looks like he’s a rat ... at least Ingram thinks so ...

I’d be bummed cause we didn’t get him but I wouldn’t be bummed cause he made the rats significantly closer to us as far as talent goes ....

And u brought up a GREAT POINT about next years D and why they may rank higher than they are ... well once Lamar took over they got that BUMP LAST YEAR in that there O kicked ass in TOP ...

Dang it ... Stupid Warren ... no 2nd cherry on top, OBJ will need to do in the cherry on top department ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Happy Birthday to the man who keeps PARADISE ISLAND hydrated

Thanks!

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
we ROASTED that D in week 17 and that with Bake as a rook and no Hunt or OBJ .... WAIT TIL THIS YEAR .... there losses coupled with our gains

I like reading this... this is what seems to be forgotten.

We won 7 games last year and added a stud Dline (hopefully) and Hunt and OBJ... Unless someone is predicting injuries, how can anyone say we don't have a chance to win it all and to curb the enthusiasm?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think if McCoy signs in Baltimore it isn't a bad thing. I think it'll add more fuel to the fire... we get to show him twice why he should have signed here.

Last edited by devicedawg; 05/29/19 10:02 AM.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think if McCoy signs in Baltimore it isn't a bad thing. I think it'll add more fuel to the fire... we get to show him twice why he should have signed here.

Can you imagine the crap Baker will talk to that guy, especially after meeting with him personally?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Can you imagine the crap Baker will talk to that guy, especially after meeting with him personally?

I'm not sure it makes much sense for Baker to be talking crap to Gerald McCoy if he goes to Baltimore.

I mean that's a very good DT looking to squash him twice a year............

I don't think it's a huge loss if we don't get him though.

I see positives and negatives. Positive, our Defensive Line is awesome. Negative, it negates our chances in the future of signing important young players to long-term contracts.

I'll be okay with this either way. If one thing happens, i'm very excited for next season. If another thing happens, i'll feel comfortable for our longer term future.

I am at peace

EDIT: Oh, and i'm not too worried about the Ravens next season anyway. If they think they're gonna be trotting our Lamar Jackson and having him run the ball 20 times a game this year, and that's gonna be it, they're gonna be in trouble. It might start off effective, but you can't have a guy with that body do that.

And with a defensive line like ours, we'll be able to generate pressure while containing him and allowing our LBs/Morgan Burnett to come up and get him

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 05/29/19 11:12 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
Dawg .... u realize your beating a dead horse with menZas that think VG is overpaid but wish the dude who brought us Kenny Britt was still here .... i guess bringing VG here with their hero’s QB rooms would have been a complete waste of VG’s talent .... rofl ...

Just curious...who the heck is wishing Sashi was still here??? Is it Sashi here for the $$$ issues and have Dorsey here for the Football stuff??? I cannot remember anyone stating they wish Sashi over Dorsey??? I skim over a lot of posts so might have missed it.

There not Ignorant enough to come right out and say it .... *LOL* ...

I’m actually very proud of the sashiettes ... usually all i have to do is mention that moniker and enjoy the popcorn .... they didn’t bite this time ... it actually seemed to stop the BS between them and Pit ... *LOL* ...

I just say things to get under their skin ... they deserve it for many reasons IMO and THEY TRIGGER SO EASY .... rofl ...

D
Legend
Legend
D

Translation: He left without a contract.

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:
we ROASTED that D in week 17 and that with Bake as a rook and no Hunt or OBJ .... WAIT TIL THIS YEAR .... there losses coupled with our gains

I like reading this... this is what seems to be forgotten.

We won 7 games last year and added a stud Dline (hopefully) and Hunt and OBJ... Unless someone is predicting injuries, how can anyone say we don't have a chance to win it all and to curb the enthusiasm?

I guess u only been reading my posts that contain the word sashiettes In them since last season ended then ... *L* ...

I’ve said since Bake threw that fateful pick to end last season we were the best team in our division and our super bowl window would be open this year for the following reasons:

- all the cash we had for FA’s
- improvement of the young pups including the 2nd year guys
- addition by subtraction with the coaching staff and some of the coaching staff including the HC all ready knows what the players are capable of and their personalities ....
- the fact the stilers and rats had cap issues and were losing key players ...

I have said that without hesitation or any hint of doubt since the day the season ended ...

Then we get the gift in Hunt and Dorsey sends shock waves through the NFL by aquiring OBJ ...

It was a good off season ... *LOL* ...

This dude would be the proverbial cherry on top ... COME ON GERALD ... don’t be a RAT ... no one wants to be a rat ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend

Now it is about "the deal".

Money and time matters. My guess is the best two year deal wins.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. And pitting two division rivals against one another in the negotiations is a brilliant negotiating tactic.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
If both teams are contenders, then probably it comes down to money. Baltimore can't compete with us on that front, maxing out around $10M available from what I've read. Factor in also - perhaps only marginally - that McCoy is a Sooner, as is a certain QB we all know.

D
Legend
Legend
D
A little humor ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
If both teams are contenders, then probably it comes down to money. Baltimore can't compete with us on that front, maxing out around $10M available from what I've read.

But does that even really matter? I mean do we just pay more than the other team no matter what?

Or do we place a value on a player and refuse to pay more than we value that player at?

I mean, I'm not going to pay a player more than I believe that player is worth no matter who is bidding for his services.

I'm not sure cap space will be the issue here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If both teams are contenders, then probably it comes down to money. Baltimore can't compete with us on that front, maxing out around $10M available from what I've read.

But does that even really matter? I mean do we just pay more than the other team no matter what?

Or do we place a value on a player and refuse to pay more than we value that player at?

I mean, I'm not going to pay a player more than I believe that player is worth no matter who is bidding for his services.

I'm not sure cap space will be the issue here.

I think it means that if we value him as much as they do, we can outbid them. They have financial constraints that we don't have.

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
He left .... no deal ... we couldn’t have asked for more ... its not over ...

IF there’s no more visits ... there still may be ... IF there are no more visits if he wants to win this is the BIGGEST NO-BRAINER DECISION ever .... IF it’s about the money then its anyone’s guess ...

DO THE RIGHT THING GERALD .... no one wants to be a RAT!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
So we change what we actually think the palyer's value is just to outbid them? If the Rats couldn't match what we already offered him, why would he be negotiating with them?

If we didn't think he was worth more than 10 mil. before he visited the rats, what has changed about him that would make him worth more than 10 mil. now?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Solid breakdown of the potential factors for McCoy in his decision.

Gerald McCoy free agency decision Cleveland Browns Baltimore Ravens | 92.3 The Fan
https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/ger...altimore-ravens

Cleveland, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – Gerald McCoy could have a difficult decision to make. Should he sign with the Browns or Ravens?

McCoy visited with the Browns last Thursday night and most of the day Friday but left Cleveland without a contract. A first-time free agent, McCoy wanted to play the field and weigh his options by completing a visit to Baltimore.

McCoy spent most of Tuesday and Wednesday morning with the Ravens, and by all accounts his visit went as well as the one in Cleveland did, “great.”

It wouldn’t be a surprise if McCoy took more free agency visits, but let’s size up the opportunity for McCoy with the Browns and Ravens.

Money – Cleveland has $32.747 million in cap space while Baltimore boasts $13.484 million in room. Advantage: Draw. Both teams have the available resources required to sign McCoy, who reportedly is seeking a contract north of the $9.25 million guaranteed Ndamukong Suh got to replace him in Tampa Bay.

Winning – After adding Pro Bowlers Olivier Vernon and Sheldon Richardson to the defensive line as well as arguably the best receiver in the game in Odell Beckham Jr. to the roster this offseason, the Browns are the trendy pick to win the AFC North led by quarterback Baker Mayfield, who enters his second NFL season. On paper, Cleveland might have the best collection of talent in the division. The Ravens are all in on Lamar Jackson at QB but questions remain about his arm strength and accuracy. On paper, Baltimore took a step back - Terrell Suggs, C.J. Mosley, Za’Darius Smith, Michael Crabtree and Eric Weddle are all gone but they did add Earl Thomas and obviously putting McCoy up front will absolutely give their defense serious punch. Advantage: Browns.

Playing time – McCoy would be a starter for both teams; however, he’d probably see more snaps in Baltimore because Steve Wilks would likely implement a rotation among the defensive tackles in Cleveland meaning fewer opportunities to rack up those all-important sacks. Advantage: Ravens, but if fresh legs and less tread on the tires matter, then advantage to the Browns.

Supporting cast – In Cleveland McCoy would be surrounded with three Pro Bowlers up front with Myles Garrett, Richardson and Vernon in addition to Larry Ogunjobi. In Baltimore it’s Chris Wormley, Brandon Williams, Pernell McPhee and Tim Williams on the front line. Advantage: Browns.

Relationships – McCoy played for Ravens defensive line coach Joe Cullen for two seasons with the Buccaneers 2014-15 but he’s also familiar with new Browns offensive coordinator Todd Monken, who held the same position the previous three years in Tampa. Advantage: Ravens.

Future earnings impact – If the goal of McCoy’s agent is to get the six-time Pro Bowler back on the market in 2020, more snaps equals more opportunities to make impact plays which translates to more potential free agent dollars. Advantage: Ravens.

From an opportunity – both playing time and setting up future free agent money – standpoint, the Ravens make more sense, but if McCoy really wants to win, and win big, the Browns would be a no-brainer choice to make.

And now we wait.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Nothing has changed. We just didn't start negotiations with our top number. The Browns had to figure they wouldn't be the only team interested in McCoy, so they didn't show all their cards yet. I'm sure they have a figure in mind that they won't go beyond.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's possible. However, I would think you would wish to put your top offer forward so he would sign and not leave town without a deal. And I still don't believe he's worth 10 mil.+. If so cap space would play into it. But I just don't think that's an issue.

I mean the deal Suh signed was worth "up to" 10 mil. with incentives. I really don't think McCoy has more value than Suh.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
IF we get McCoy, what I see with him is a defensive roster than can TRULY run any front. We would have guys that would allow us to seamlessly switch from 4-3 to 3-4 and actually FIT their roles in each.

The same way that we now have an offensive roster than can attack any defense, we'd have a defensive roster that could fit to and attack any offense.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
So we change what we actually think the palyer's value is just to outbid them? If the Rats couldn't match what we already offered him, why would he be negotiating with them?

If we didn't think he was worth more than 10 mil. before he visited the rats, what has changed about him that would make him worth more than 10 mil. now?

That's not how I see this situation. Maybe with other players, different GMs may value them very differently... but I doubt that's the case with a guy like McCoy. He's a solid, known qty. There really aren't very many question marks with his game OR his head/attitude. Age will start to become a question mark, but it's not yet.

A guy like McCoy is probably still valued very highly. Having more cap space would allow a team to pay at or closer to his value.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

Nothing would change. We make our pitch and offer a fair contract. If he wants to take it great. If not, he can sign elsewhere. I'm not falling for the obvious and transparent "pit the divisional rivals against each other" strategy and I doubt Dorsey is either. He has been aggressive in using up cap space, but he hasn't been reckless. There's a difference.

Legend
Legend

This is agents now. Time and money.

Suh set the market price.

Maybe $11 for a year. $20 for two.

There maybe incentives or other conditions.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ty interesting read.

I don't really agree with his slant on snap counts, because its more about quality snaps and being able to bring your best on any given play.

That is why they rotate the DL in the first place.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Ty interesting read.

I don't really agree with his slant on snap counts, because its more about quality snaps and being able to bring your best on any given play.

That is why they rotate the DL in the first place.

Agree 100%

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum McCoy continued ...

Link Copied to Clipboard