Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Happy brithday!

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I am not sure any club can dictate the market beyond contract. Overpay and get him. Nothing real in serving notice. hats off to agent(s) who built this potential bidding war. I do feel that it is "McCoy at any price." We just need to outbid the Rats. Our "price" is, I am sure, some number with a range and some variety in time length. I trust Dorsey. We don't want to pay too much for this tin whistle, but he may command more.

Waiting to see how this will play out.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Why not front load the contract to pay him more in 2019 than Balt could offer? Give him 2 years $20-21 million with $14 coming in 2019. Balt can’t match the 2019 money. He gets paid. We get a great player and some cap relief in 2020.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Happy brithday!

Thanks, FL

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Excerpt from article:

A meeting is in the works. According to the Athletic, McCoy has agreed to visit Carolina this week.

“Pro Bowl defensive tackle Gerald McCoy will continue his free agency tour this week with a visit to the Panthers, a league source told The Athletic on Wednesday. McCoy has already visited Cleveland and Baltimore, but left both teams without a contract.”

McCoy is an enticing talent, but there’s probably a reason why he left the Browns and Ravens without a deal. Signing an elite defensive lineman is an expensive proposition.

As of right now, the Panthers have just $9.8 million in cap room, according to Over the Cap. They might need to cut some dead weight if they’re seriously going to make a run at McCoy.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/29/panthers-gerald-mccoy-interest-meeting/

This saga is starting to annoy me. If we get him, I'm happy. If we don't - meh.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I agree. I believe he said he wanted to go where he could win, right? As in,, "it's not about the money", yet, as always, it's about the money.

I don't blame him. I just hope he signs somewhere, soon.

C
Legend
Legend
C
McCoy has never been a free agent and is towards the end of his career. I don’t blame him for finding out as much as possible about potential teams before making a choice.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
"This saga is starting to annoy me. If we get him, I'm happy. If we don't - meh."

This.

L
Legend
Legend
L
You guys are being impatient. Relax.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
"This saga is starting to annoy me. If we get him, I'm happy. If we don't - meh."

This.

It’s May 29th, what’s the rush?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Why not front load the contract to pay him more in 2019 than Balt could offer? Give him 2 years $20-21 million with $14 coming in 2019. Balt can’t match the 2019 money. He gets paid. We get a great player and some cap relief in 2020.

You can do that to an extent, but I don't think you can vary more than 25% from year to year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
IF we get McCoy, what I see with him is a defensive roster than can TRULY run any front. We would have guys that would allow us to seamlessly switch from 4-3 to 3-4 and actually FIT their roles in each.

The same way that we now have an offensive roster than can attack any defense, we'd have a defensive roster that could fit to and attack any offense.

This prospect makes my head swim. After so many years of head-banging futility, dysfunction and ineptitude, it's still hard to believe that this team looks like this- in less than 18 months.

Unreal.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Impatient for sure.

I suppose it's more a reaction to all the hype put on individuals for this team in the past (Rison, Bowe, Britt, etc...)and our colossal failures.

By mini-camp, it'd be sure nice to see all members present, focused, keeping personal stuff to a minimum in the media (yes, I'm worried about that with the media attention on us this year) and a young team with a few standout veterans starting to take shape.

No distractions.

Legend
Legend
If McCoy wants to be on the field at all times, then he's not coming to Cleveland. He'd be in a rotation here with Larry and Sheldon on board.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
You'll see that as soon as attendance is mandatory.

There will still be drama, but I'll wager that the vast majority of it will be manufactured by the sports writers - and most likely at cleveland.com.

Browns is the Browns

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
You'll see that as soon as attendance is mandatory.

There will still be drama, but I'll wager that the vast majority of it will be manufactured by the sports writers - and most likely at cleveland.com.

MKC has been strangely quiet. It almost seems as though, without a QB to complain about, she doesn't know what to do with herself.

rofl

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
L
Legend
Legend
L
If I’m Dorsey I put an expiration on the offer. Of the 3 teams we prob need him the least

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So we change what we actually think the palyer's value is just to outbid them? If the Rats couldn't match what we already offered him, why would he be negotiating with them?

If we didn't think he was worth more than 10 mil. before he visited the rats, what has changed about him that would make him worth more than 10 mil. now?

If spending a mil or two extra to keep him away from them and helping them win the division is what could change our opinion.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
So we change what we actually think the palyer's value is just to outbid them? If the Rats couldn't match what we already offered him, why would he be negotiating with them?

If we didn't think he was worth more than 10 mil. before he visited the rats, what has changed about him that would make him worth more than 10 mil. now?

If spending a mil or two extra to keep him away from them and helping them win the division is what could change our opinion.

They need more than him to win the division. We just need to offer more than they can comfortably offer without having to cut people to create space. Ditto for Carolina.

He's playing the waiting game, using what leverage he has while he has it.
He may want a one year deal, he may be holding out for one last payday knowing that his shelf life is limited now. Whatever it is, he is going to use all the time he can to leverage things to what he wants as much as possible..... we just have to meet him half way.

Browns is the Browns

L
Legend
Legend
L
Why would we put some kind of time limit?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

I am optimistic.

I like our chances. All things considered if the money is close; I think we are the best fit in all categories.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
If McCoy wants to be on the field at all times, then he's not coming to Cleveland. He'd be in a rotation here with Larry and Sheldon on board.

If he's smart that should intrigue him. Extend his career by being in a rotation like that.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They need more than him to win the division. We just need to offer more than they can comfortably offer without having to cut people to create space. Ditto for Carolina.

He may want a one year deal, he may be holding out for one last payday knowing that his shelf life is limited now. Whatever it is, he is going to use all the time he can to leverage things to what he wants as much as possible..... we just have to meet him half way.

If he really does want a one year deal then give him 16 million this year and let him walk next year. We have the cap space. He'd be a good locker-room guy. I don't thnk we should break the bank on some 2 or 3 year deal. But a one year then walk contract? Why not?

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

If he really does want a one year deal then give him 16 million this year and let him walk next year. We have the cap space. He'd be a good locker-room guy. I don't thnk we should break the bank on some 2 or 3 year deal. But a one year then walk contract? Why not?

If we were going to do that then we should have sent a 7th rounder to TB and paid him $13 million this year and let him walk next year.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

If he's smart that should intrigue him. Extend his career by being in a rotation like that.

And he would face a lot more double teams with Balt than he would here.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
McCoy has never been a free agent and is towards the end of his career. I don’t blame him for finding out as much as possible about potential teams before making a choice.

This is what i recognized when he left here and went to Baltimore.

McCoy has never been a Free Agent. This is his chance to see what things are like with other teams. It's also his choice to go anywhere that he wants (and wants him)

As a fan, it's frustrating. But i can't say i blame him one bit.

But, as i've said earlier, i'm happy whether we get him or not. Not that big of a deal to me. If we get him, we're really making a run for it this year. If we don't, we have more money to lock up guys like Demarius Randall/Larry Ogunjobi next season

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend

I didn't know/realize this.... in this case, there is nothing to sweat, yet, folks. Let the man enjoy his process. This may literally be the one and only time that he gets to experience this.

Browns is the Browns

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Agreed. He’s taking a tour of NFL stadiums. Getting to see the home facilities of a few teams. Getting wined and dined by a bunch of football guys talking football. Sounds like a cool experience any of us would jump at.
I hope we land him, but can’t begrudge him his process.

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
I see this as his agent doing his due diligence. McCoy could possibly never see a pay day like this again at his age. It doesn't make sense to leave big money on the table. I'm sure he wants to play for a winner but he also has to be looking at life beyond football.

The way I see it we're at least even with Baltimore on paper as far as he's concerned. Cleveland's prospects seem to be rising so does that tip the scales in that direction? Who knows?

My bet is we know something by this time next week. It's obvious McCoy is in no hurry and I don't blame him. And yes, I do believe he'll sign with Cleveland. I hope he does his Rolls in some metallic seal brown instead of orange, though.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend

I didn't know/realize this.... in this case, there is nothing to sweat, yet, folks. Let the man enjoy his process. This may literally be the one and only time that he gets to experience this.

I agree, let it play out naturally. No one is in a hurry here. As they say, the early bird may get a worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese. You want worms, or cheese?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
seems his agent and he don't like the deals that have been offered, whether that means years or salary or both

I'm guessing we offered 2 years, 20 million ... with like 15 guaranteed

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've never even sniffed a situation close to this one that McCoy is in. Still I don't believe it is purely a money decision. Team fit, personal goals, family considerations and working conditions would all matter to me.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
seems his agent and he don't like the deals that have been offered, whether that means years or salary or both

I'm guessing we offered 2 years, 20 million ... with like 15 guaranteed

I think he would have signed that deal quite quickly.

The Ravens don't have the cal space to go crazy on a deal. They do have about $13 million in cap space, but you need to keep some available, and the Ravens have been somewhat conservative with regards to the cap. The Panthers have only $9.8 million after restructuring Luke Kuechly's deal.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 05/30/19 01:15 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
At the risk of sounding like I'm "fawning over Freddie"... I LOVE that attitude.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

That is the right approach.

Show and tell what you have going and how he fits in.

He knows what we have going on.

Tell him "we want you but we want you all in." Go and look around. See first hand why if you want to win and be apart of something special; this is where it will happen."

Personally, I think he will decide to join us.

If he decides to go elsewhere; so be it.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I get the feeling that it's already a done-deal for us; McCoy is just enjoying touring the circuit for the first time.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Victory lap, with steaks and fine dining!

I think we get him. He can have his own cabana and hammock on the Island. Sit-in' in the sun soaking up the love.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum McCoy continued ...

Link Copied to Clipboard