Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have only been there once. Not a big fry eater.

I usually end up getting some Rosie's and Rocco's meatballs. B spot once or twice a year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yeah, we aren't "looking to make" anyone anything in OTA's.

There isn't even any contact in OTAs. However, 1 writer is sure that a different player getting some 1st team reps at RG means that Corbett is a sure fire bust. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

You don't take a guy with the 1st pick of the 2nd round one year and make him the backup anything before camp even opens the next.

Unless you have someone better, and nobody wants to admit it may be he's not good.

You also don't give a guy a starting spot, only based on where he was drafed, especially if he's had a year to show his abilities.

------

Gc.

The Concern I still have, I see an update on the Cardinals, they went 3-13 worst record in the league, (surprised to realize it wasn't the Browns)
Then they say, key departures Head Coach Wilks,..

The Browns are putting their Defense in the hands of the guy who took the Cardinals to 3-13...
The Browns Head Coach is an offensive backgrounded guy, mainly because of what he can do with the quarterback...

The media and Vegas are speculating the Browns are going to be a top 10 team in the entire league,

And if everything goes wrong and the wheels fall off, the finger pointing and blame assigning are going to be EPIC!

What happens if this team fails to go 8-8 even, or if that's where they end up also?
If they go 8-8, everyone's going to act like they went 3-13.

And what happened to Gregg Williams,

And what happened to getting a decent field goal kicker in the offseason, if they go 60% on kicks this year, that might cost them 3 wins again.

And if I'm a team that is playing against the Browns,
I'm going to run outside and use my tight ends on offense,
and since they have a dozen receivers I can't stop, my only choice is to rush two blitzers over center right in the Qb's face from the first snap.

A bunch of concerns, #1 of which might be overblown expectations.

I think it's going to be real hard to make the playoffs in the AFC this year, look at these teams, I think each of them, from their perspective, thinks they are going to make the playoffs and are just as suited on paper to have high expectations.

Raiders, (no, but they're getting there)

Patriots,
Chargers,
Chiefs,
Texans,
Colts,
Jaguars,
Steelers, and
Ravens,

Everybodys got "A" quarterback, everybodys got continuity, and all of them have a recent trip to the playoffs in the last 2 years,

only 6 teams make the playoffs in the AFC, it doesn't matter what hype the Browns get, it's not going to be easy.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I hear all of that, and I still LOVE our chances of ruling the roost for a change.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I feel that barring injuries we have very capable O-line talent. It may not be top 10 at this point but we can be good. The x- factor is we have a top O-line coach in Campen. He is highly regarded and probably makes the guys we have better with his coaching much like Dante Scarnechia does in N.E. He retired and had to come back because halfway into the season their O-line was in a shambles. When he returned they played like all pros.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Didn't I see somewhere that we were looking to make Corbett the back-up Center and we had someone else at RG?

Did I read that here or somewhere else? I don't remember.

All I read (on this board) really don't go around too much on others. Is somebody crying about how a UDFA is playing RG so that means that Corbett is a bust from a 2nd round pick.

I will unsheath my Homer clothes here.
If any can remember I questioned the pick (#33) of Corbett immediately only for the simple reason that we expressed uncertainty of where he was going to play. For me you don't pick the first guy taken in the 2nd round for OL without a specific plan in where he was playing. That was just me doing my Sherlock Holmes on Corbett. It just is not done, taking a #33 pick at OL and not having a specific plan of where he was to be used.

I will now put back on my Homer jacket.

Corbett still has not answered any of the questions concerning him. I know he got some reps at OG last year and he did not look good.

But I know OL pretty well and its rather hard not to got to ONE SPECIFIC position and work on that all season. It does not help a young supposedly very talented OLman like Corbett to jump around at LT, RT, C, LG and RG which is exactly what he did last season.

Now about midseason we did settle him down to one position. That position was Center. We all thought...OK finally we know the plan, he will be settling down at the Center Position and obviously be the heir apparent to Tretter - Physically Corbett is the spitting image of Tretter.

The Irony of all this is that the person I hear mentioned is Kalis from Michigan who was a stud there and played Center his senior year. Who btw is the exact height and weight of Corbett.

Kalis I thought was very talented, Nasty and a good technical blocker. What I told everyone, It just might be that Kalis would in fact beat out Corbett for that RG position but that might not mean that Corbett was that "BAD" and LOST THE POSITION but possibly Kalis Progressed in his 3rd season by leaps and bounds and WINS the RT position rather than Corbett losing it.

Now keep in mind where did this Kalis in and Corbett out come from. OTAs - which in OL speak means we are out there in shorts.

Right away (don't know if its media) what happened??? A blurb of OH SHOOT KALIS was getting Reps with the ones at RG...right away in FAN SPEAK it must mean OH NO CORBETT IS A BUST!!! Who knows what happened. Kalis worked out all off season in Berea and caught the eye of our new OL COACH! Possibly Corbett tweaked a leg/ankle/bicep??? and we decided to let Kalis get reps there???

1. I am confident with either one winning the RG position.

2. RG is the easiest OL transition from college to NFL.
This does not mean you do not have to work hard at it. Just means anyone with talent can actually become pretty good at the position!

3. As long as the position is won early on. But both can play RG and Center. Kalis has a year up on Corbett and quite frankly I thought Corbett was a wasted season last year playing "ALL" the positions.

4. RG to be our ??? mark position on the OL is the best one to have in an unknown competition. Cause you never know who can stud out.

5. What do I know about Kalis. Kids dad played OL for 7 years so he grew up with excellent technical background and a knowledge of the game.

His first 2 seasons with Michigan was under one of the worst OL coaches in the history of Michigan. So coming to Michigan he was one of the highest touted HS OLmen. And he went to Michigan for the specific reason to play for Brady Hoke.

Guess what he's a Ohio bred boy and I'll just take a guess and think the kid loves the Browns!

Anyways, we got a very sound and intelligent football player who worked hard on his game his last two seasons in Michigan and in the NFL the last playing the entire season with the Browns.

Maybe he is getting reps at RG right now as we are in SHORTS cause he knows it all at this point over Corbett who I cannot stress more the wasted year in 2018 by not learning a specific position.

When Training camp starts and we start hitting. That is when we will find out who studs out at RG!

Corbett btw has better mobility and I know that will be a big time variable in our OL next year!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I only have one concern:

Freddie Kitchens calling plays

going right back to Hue Jackson type of nonsense.

Kitchens needs to focus on being a Head Coach and ONLY at HC, not calling plays too.

Todd Monken has 3 years of experience calling plays in the NFL (2016, 2017, and 2018) with Tampa Bay. He was also a Head Coach at Southern Miss, and a Offensive Coordinator at Oklahoma state.

Todd Monken has more experience calling plays than Kitchens does, and is more qualified to be calling plays at this point then Kitchens.

Kitchens is already becoming a problem. Guys that won't delegate to the people they hire end up becoming problems much sooner than later. Even Bellichik delegates. Sure, Bellichik has his hands in all the pies, but he lets his coordinators call the offense and defense on game day and only intercedes when needed.

Kitchens needs to let Monken call the plays and maybe over ruled every once in awhile as needed.

Kitchens being the playcaller and head coach means other areas of the team and weekly game plans like D, Special Teams, etc will suffer because they won't be getting the attention they need to be getting.

Being a Head Coach means you have a macro level control over the entire team and game plan, you can not do that when your calling plays.

The ONLY reason McVay can get away with that in St Louis is because of Wade Phillips is pretty much the 2nd best Defensive Coordinator in the modern NFL(Only behind Bellichik) and Phillips might as well be a head coach himself.

We don't have that here. The fact this is Kitchens 1st ever NFL head coaching gig, and he won't let the more experienced guy he hired call the plays tells me were in for a ride...this is going to be a problem much sooner than later...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: PresidentDawg2

4. The o-line
Lets take a realistic approach to the offensive line. According to the NFL stats and rankings our o-line last year ranked 14th, just below the Jets and ahead of the Vikings. PFF also had us ranked 2nd so there is quite a bit of discrepency but I think we can concur our o-line was above average/good. Since then we traded our Pro Bowl RG. Again breaking it down: we have Robinson at LT on a one year prove it deal. He had a decent 2nd half last season and ranked as the 63rd best tackle by PFF but is it a sign of things to come or a mirage from a player that was out of the league we picked up off the scrap heap. The LG is the most solid out of the group, Bitonio is going to be a perennial pro-bowler for years to come and is one of the best in the league coming in as the PFF #5 guard last year. At Center Tretter had his best season last year ranking 8th best center by PFF. This year however he will only have one pro-bowler playing beside him. How will that affect his production? At RG we replaced the #6 rated guard in the league with a high 2nd round draft pick from last season. Corbett is an unknown having played very little last season. Dorsey though gave him a huge vote of confidence when he decided to make the trade with the thought Corbett could step right in and fill the void left by the trade of Zeitler. We shall see. and then at RT we signed Chris Hubbard at RT who did a decent job, ranking the 50th best tackle from PFF last year. He played better than he did in Pittsburgh, can he maintain that once again. I like the depth we have but the is all going to come down to Corbett being able to hold down the RG spot and Robinson maintaining his play from the 2nd half of last year.

Good summary of the line situation. This is probably my biggest concern-- trading away Zeitler, the possibility that Corbett can't replace him and/or injuries elsewhere on the line. There's definitely some volatility there.

Interior line play is easy to overlook but it makes a big difference. Pressure up the middle is extremely disruptive, especially with a shorter QB. It's much easier to find throwing lanes with a clean pocket.

L
Legend
Legend
L
i think the dream would be Harrison has but on some weight and strength and will supplant robinson in TC. Robinson is bad, like really bad. Alot was masked by baker and Freddie's playcalling.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I think Todd Monken coming on staff is one of the more overlooked acquisitions this offseason.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I imagine Dorsey was looking to add a tackle at some point. Yet we saw Trent Brown get 4 yrs/$66m in free agency (ridiculous), first rounder went to OBJ, second rounder to Greedy. The situation just didn't present itself, so we gamble a bit with Robinson/Harrison and reevaluate when needed.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I think Todd Monken coming on staff is one of the more overlooked acquisitions this offseason.

Good point. We've gone over what the new defense might look like under Wilks but haven't really seen much scheme-wise on the offensive side of the ball.

There's a video here: https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/5/26/...and-pick-routes

Legend
Legend

This is all supposition and baseless.

What is fact is what the offense did under Freddie calling plays last year.

In addition a part of the hiring of Monkin was that he was clear that Freddie would call the plays and that he was good with that.

So it has nothing to do with delegation. Monkin will have his say in the offense and that was made clear and he has stated that. And has restated it during OTA's.

"Kitchens is already a problem?"

Based upon what you said and nothing else.

If Kitchens is a concern for you - fine.

However, trying to make it sound as if it is fact.

Is fiction.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/c

Newest concern: will I be able to keep my OBJ hype in check with so much time still to go before real games.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 05/28/19 03:50 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
We should be calling him Vice Grips.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Man, the last few posts are like GEESHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Talk about gloom and doom....

Freddie is Ready.

Calm down!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Exactly. Campen wants to find out who can do what. There are 5 starting OL slots. Each slot doesn't have a designated back-up because it is rare a team keeps 10 O-linemen. They keep 8, maybe 9, so a few of them will need to be back-ups at several positions.

True. Sometimes you even see a team go to 7 active OLine on gamedays, which to me is kind of crazy. Gameday rosters are tight but I'd take my chances with one too few tight end or safety or whatever.

Even with 8 though, you need guys who can backup multiple positions. Sometimes a starter may have to slide over somewhere too, especially if the center goes down. You have to have guys who can make the line calls and snap the ball consistently in shotgun.

L
Legend
Legend
L
So, you're saying Corbett hasn't busted yet? wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: bonefish

This is all supposition and baseless.

What is fact is what the offense did under Freddie calling plays last year.

I am not taking away what Kitchen did last year BUT he did not have the duties of HC at that time either. Willaims pretty much did everything else associated with the team, thus Freddie was able to soley focus on Offense and game plan.

He won't have that now. As a Head Coach there is far more then just game planning. There is a reason so many coordinators fail as head coaches, and Freddie is already going down the path that has the greatest chance of failure.

As much as I was not a Jackson fan, he did have a considerable background of expereince calling plays in the NFL(far more then 6 or 7 games Kitchens has) and even Jackson struggled and the team struggled because of it.

If we all want Kitchens to succeed as HC here, than he shouldn't be calling plays. At least not right now.

Freddie needs to be focused on the macro aspects of the team and managing the team as whole on game day. He is not ready to do all of that and call plays. He cna still have significant input on the game plan, and even over rule Monken when needed, but him calling plays at this juncture is a mistake. I think its too much for a young guy who has only been a play caller for 7 games before becoming a head coach.

Maybe 3 years down the road, once he has proven himself as successful coach and then he wants to call plays? sure...

We always do this kinda stuff. i'll never understand why we can't just set up a simple traditional system like the Patriots, the Rooney's, and such use and then just follow it...I mean this isn't rocket science.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Freddie needs to be focused on the macro aspects of the team and managing the team as whole on game day. He is not ready to do all of that and call plays.

I have no idea how anyone could know this... There is no textbook on how to be a HC. It works differently for everyone. Some can handle it and some can't. I would say each head coach in the NFL is different.

I don't have a problem with how we are doing things. We haven't seen the body of work. If I wanted to be just like the Patriots or the Steelers I would just go root for one of them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Freddie needs to be focused on the macro aspects of the team and managing the team as whole on game day. He is not ready to do all of that and call plays.

I have no idea how anyone could know this... There is no textbook on how to be a HC. It works differently for everyone. Some can handle it and some can't. I would say each head coach in the NFL is different.

I don't have a problem with how we are doing things. We haven't seen the body of work. If I wanted to be just like the Patriots or the Steelers I would just go root for one of them.

I don't either but Freddie, being a rookie HC, certainly has a lot on his plate...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
I can think immediately of a handful of HC calling plays. I don't think its that big of a deal.

Time consuming is in the preparation and I think that is why we got a very experienced OC and he came here with the knowledge that he was not going to be calling the plays.

Kitchens as head coach is involved in the GAME PLAN...

I think with the background and knowledge Kitchens has accrued he showed us last year that he has an excellent vision of what defenses do and how to put us in the best possible opportunities with the talents that we have. He was the first OC we have had that was able to stretch vertically and Horizontally creating space for some very talented impact players.

I think he has a special skill in that vision and is several plays ahead. He showed no delays in his play calling. He knew what where and how ahead of time. Also during the game his attention to our defense will be limited due to the DC he chose and trust in that DC to be able to execute the game plan on that end. Calling Time outs??? If being HC hinders his play calling duties or vice versa then we can go a different route.

But Kitchens is not the type of coach to have Panic in him...he stays calm and knows what he is doing. I don't think he will have a problem implementing that during games.

So that concern should be wiped out by mid season.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

As far as Freddie calling plays goes, he did have a knack for that last year. As you mentioned, different structures can work. I believe Reid and Payton call their own plays, as do a few others. I think Belichick is going to go back to calling plays on defense now that Flores is in Miami. Those guys have much more experience so it's not a direct comparison... guess we'll find out how well this works. I think Freddie can handle it.

edit: deleted some off-topic stuff

Last edited by Haus; 05/29/19 11:10 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Another concern is the ticket situation. I like real tickets in my hand, not some BS on my phone.

As I understand it, all tickets will be E-mailed to us and we have to pull them up on the phone. I like my tickets in my ticket holder hanging around my neck.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I have zero concerns with this team in terms of talent or coaching ability. None.

My only real concerns are in wondering how soon we'll be together as a team - will we be able to start hot and maintain it? And how will we handle adversity? If we hit a stretch of bad luck, how will the leaders of this team get the team to respond?

Beyond that, I'm All In on this team.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
as long as our OL holds up, we will score a lot of points. Too many weapons, & Bake will find them. Often.

I truly believe we can win the Super Bowl next season.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
as long as our OL holds up, we will score a lot of points. Too many weapons, & Bake will find them. Often.

I truly believe we can win the Super Bowl next season.

Have u decided what your wearing to the PARADISE ISLAND Super Bowl kegger yet ... i’m still having trouble deciding ... at Freddie “who is ready” request it will be brown and orange but other than that there’s just so many choices ...

Let me know you’re thoughts please ... naughtydevil

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
I only have one concern:

Freddie Kitchens calling plays

going right back to Hue Jackson type of nonsense.

Kitchens needs to focus on being a Head Coach and ONLY at HC, not calling plays too.

Todd Monken has 3 years of experience calling plays in the NFL (2016, 2017, and 2018) with Tampa Bay. He was also a Head Coach at Southern Miss, and a Offensive Coordinator at Oklahoma state.

Todd Monken has more experience calling plays than Kitchens does, and is more qualified to be calling plays at this point then Kitchens.

Kitchens is already becoming a problem. Guys that won't delegate to the people they hire end up becoming problems much sooner than later. Even Bellichik delegates. Sure, Bellichik has his hands in all the pies, but he lets his coordinators call the offense and defense on game day and only intercedes when needed.

Kitchens needs to let Monken call the plays and maybe over ruled every once in awhile as needed.

Kitchens being the playcaller and head coach means other areas of the team and weekly game plans like D, Special Teams, etc will suffer because they won't be getting the attention they need to be getting.

Being a Head Coach means you have a macro level control over the entire team and game plan, you can not do that when your calling plays.

The ONLY reason McVay can get away with that in St Louis is because of Wade Phillips is pretty much the 2nd best Defensive Coordinator in the modern NFL(Only behind Bellichik) and Phillips might as well be a head coach himself.

We don't have that here. The fact this is Kitchens 1st ever NFL head coaching gig, and he won't let the more experienced guy he hired call the plays tells me were in for a ride...this is going to be a problem much sooner than later...

I completely disagree. Monken is an "air-raid" guy. Do you really want Baker throwing the ball 50+ times every game? Getting beat up, taking all of those hits? What worked last year is we started keeping guys in on pass protect, we ran the ball and that opened up the play-action. Hell, we ran a reverse wishbone. lol We had a really good balance of run/pass and with our backfield this year we should be really effective running the ball. The only reason Kitchens was hired was his play calling last year. That got him the job. I hope he calls it much like he did last year. I want to see Nick Chubb early and often. Teams can't afford to put 8 in the box on us now. With the weapons we have, they just can't. Nick Chubb can have a stellar season this year.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
*Replying to the quote*

Many offensive minded coaches prefer to cal their own plays. They have a coordinator who can help design and install the offense, but the head coach calls the plays.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Concerns you still have

Link Copied to Clipboard