Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Legend
Legend
M
Panthers are giving former Buccaneers’ DT Gerald McCoy a one-year deal, per sources. It is likely to be worth about $8.5 million, per sources.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1135666285495369728

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C

I would have liked to have him but I can’t begrudge him wanting to stay in the south and play against his old team.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Looks like in the end we were option #3. I, for one, am perfectly fine with him not signing with us.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Meh, as long as he didn't sign in Baltimore. Moving on.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Looks like in the end we were option #3. I, for one, am perfectly fine with him not signing with us.

I'd have liked him for 8.5 million dollars.

But not the end of the world. Supposedly, we like our other DTs, and this will give us more money to carry over to next season (and so on).

I'd really like to find a way to re-sign Demarius Randall.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

Ya, its not like he’s any good and would have helped at all ... who needs depth and fresh DL man ...

BIG TIME BUMMER for us ....

good for him ... he got what he wanted ...

One things for sure ... he wow’s easy ... *L* ...

Darn it ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

Ditto.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

Ditto.

This is a good note. I certainly prefer McCoy playing for Carolina than Baltimore

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Panthers are giving former Buccaneers’ DT Gerald McCoy a one-year deal, per sources. It is likely to be worth about $8.5 million, per sources.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1135666285495369728

8mill base ... worth up to 10.25 with incentives ...

GERALD MCCOY
DL, CAROLINA PANTHERS

Panthers signed DT Gerald McCoy, formerly of the Bucs, to a one-year, $8 million contract.

It can be worth up to $10.25 million. McCoy picks the Panthers over the Ravens and Browns and gets to stay in the familiar NFC South and play against his former Tampa Bay teammates twice a year. The Panthers are switching to a 3-4 front, which the Bucs are also doing, but Tampa didn't consider him a particularly good fit for DC Todd Bowles' version. Coach Ron Rivera and DC Eric Washington in Carolina have other ideas and will slide McCoy in next to NT Dontari Poe and DT Kawann Short to form a lethal front. McCoy will get a better bite at free agency next offseason at 32 years old.

RELATED: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jun 3, 2019, 6:04 PM ET

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c:

If not us, I’m fine with this. Have fun with Cam and the boys.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
While I am disappointed at losing out on McCoy, at least we didn't lose him to the Rats.

I am going to need some time to get the idea of a "Bears" front out of my head, though ....... Garrett, Ogunjobi, Richardson, McCoy, and Vernon. Ooof. Man, who could you hope to block for long? 1 LB and 5 DB, and go attack the QB.

I have heard that Chad Thomas, Carl Davis, and Daniel Ekuale looked good thus far in camp, for whatever that's worth in a camp without contact.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

A disappointment but what can you do?

Hopefully we won't miss him. You never know an opportunity opens for someone else and maybe that guy makes the best of it.

L
Legend
Legend
L
So he went to the team with the weakest chance of going to playoffs? Right. Oh well glad that drama is over. Let’s bring on the season already

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish

A disappointment but what can you do?

Asked

Quote:
You never know an opportunity opens for someone else and maybe that guy makes the best of it.

And answered ... thumbsup

All we can do at this point is be glad he isn’t in our our division, our conference or we don’t play them this year ... in that order ...

Thats a big pick up for them and a loss for us ... were still plenty good but as u well know u can never have enough good football players and he’s still a really good one ..

they needed him more so that was nice of us ... *LOL* ...

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
D linemen as a rule are more athletic than olinemen.There are certain traits that can be ascertained in non combat drills.If your not drafting combine warriors,a coach can get a good feel for what he's got.

That should read non contact,not non combat.

Last edited by BCbrownie; 06/03/19 06:49 PM. Reason: messed up

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Carolina might be the most Win/Loss bipolar NFL team I have ever seen.

He must be hedging his bets that they will be good last year because they were bad the previous year.

Year Record Finish (Regular / Post Season) Coach
2018 7-9-0 3rd -- NFC South -- Ron Rivera Roster / Stats
2017 11-5-0 2nd -- NFC South 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs Ron Rivera Roster / Stats
2016 6-10-0 4th -- NFC South -- Ron Rivera Roster / Stats
2015 15-1-0 1st -- NFC South 2-1 - Lost Superbowl Ron Rivera Roster / Stats
2014 7-8-1 1st -- NFC South 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs Ron Rivera Roster / Stats
2013 12-4-0 1st -- NFC South 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs Ron Rivera Roster / Stats
2012 7-9-0 2nd -- NFC South -- Ron Rivera Roster / Stats
2011 6-10-0 3rd -- NFC South -- Ron Rivera Roster / Stats
2010 2-14-0 4th -- NFC South -- John Fox Roster / Stats
2009 8-8-0 3rd -- NFC South -- John Fox Roster / Stats
2008 12-4-0 1st -- NFC South 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs John Fox Roster / Stats
2007 7-9-0 T2nd -- NFC South -- John Fox Roster / Stats

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm fine with this. Browns brass wanted someone who is All In. And he's not.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
So, we were 3rd on a list of 3, that sucks. It appears to not be about money either. Did they not put out snacks?

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I was hoping we would sign him, but I realized that all three teams had something to offer. Looks like location was the biggest determining factor, because the money isn't all that. I also think that Cam had a role in his choice and even more importantly, he can stick it to TB twice this year and play for a better contract next year.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
So, we were 3rd on a list of 3, that sucks. It appears to not be about money either. Did they not put out snacks?

Where did you get 3rd on a list of 3?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm from Cleveland, and I love this town, but if I wasn't from here I would certainly rather live in Charlotte. We had sunshine here today for about the 2nd or 3rd time in the last month (or at least it seems), but it was only 54*F. In June.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Probably from this quote from Schefter:

Quote:
Gerald McCoy left Baltimore thinking he very well might sign there.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

From this quote from Memphis.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Dave
I'm from Cleveland, and I love this town, but if I wasn't from here I would certainly rather live in Charlotte. We had sunshine here today for about the 2nd or 3rd time in the last month (or at least it seems), but it was only 54*F. In June.

I live in Columbia, SC. That is about 90 miles south of Charlotte. It's been in the 90s for days not a day of rain in weeks. Thankfully, the dew point has been low.

I wear shorts on many winter days and the autumns and springs are divine. I am not a fan of the hot summer days when the dew point is in the 70s, but I have a pool. A lot of people down here do. No cover, no heater, no problem.

There is no doubt that the weather is better down here, especially if you like sunshine.

T
Legend
Legend
T
GC. Don't be too sad, my close Bengal Fan has been trying to convince me for 2-3 weeks, that not only did he visit Cincy the same day he visited Cleveland but he was going to sign there,

Yet even when checking online 1 day ago, the only teams mentioned were, Cleveland, Baltimore, somewhere else, Cleveland again, Baltimore again, and that other place again, ( I'm not 100% certain it was Carolina I was reading, perhaps San Francisco, yeah I think it was San Francisco, in reports if you just online checked McCoy's name 1 day ago.)

Somehow Cincy Fan I know thought it was a certainty he was about to go there, (maybe it was a "local" rumor) good luck with that.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
One thing I wonder .. especially with the McCoy checking out all three teams, the cities, the fans, the media ... Is if all the tempest in a teapot media drama about OBJ missing OTAs could have soured McCoy on the Browns a little. Not saying it did.. Not saying it didn't .. but I do have to wonder...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
One thing I wonder .. especially with the McCoy checking out all three teams, the cities, the fans, the media ... Is if all the tempest in a teapot media drama about OBJ missing OTAs could have soured McCoy on the Browns a little. Not saying it did.. Not saying it didn't .. but I do have to wonder...

Probably not, but that is an interesting thought. My son--who is a Steelers fan--and I were talking yesterday about how the Cleveland media and some of its fan base has a real problem w/certain types of people.

People dogged LeBron all the time even though he is the only guy in the modern era to deliver a chip to the city. A lot of folks don't like a guy like OBJ [I am not allowed to say why in this forum.] Yet, they will defend another guy whose incidents are much more severe.

We are far from being the among the most open-minded city to play in.

1st String
1st String
Yeah as hear the Cleveland media can be. And really they need to give players like that of LeBron at the time instead of others who do not get the attention. Or not enough of it.

June Summertime 2024!
V
Legend
Legend
V
No offense, but I really am not sure what you are trying to say.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Sorry, but that's just silly.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm disappointed the Browns couldn't sign McCoy. I don't think it should derail our season. The team has goals and it has talent. Our starters are fine. Our IDL depth is thin but I'm confident Dorsey will continue to explore options. Gotta coach'm up!

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I never thought he was going to leave the NFC South, but 10 mil is a hefty amount. Good for him

T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't know how Lebron and OBJ are similar.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I, for one, am perfectly fine with him not signing with us.

Second-best outcome, for us Browns fans.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I don't know how Lebron and OBJ are similar.

They are black men who don't know the meaning of "stay in your lane, bro."

T
Legend
Legend
T
Sorry, I don't know what that line means either, I guess i'll have to leave this to the smarter people.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Somehow, I doubt that the "smarter people" will reply. LOL

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Ya, its not like he’s any good and would have helped at all ... who needs depth and fresh DL man ...

BIG TIME BUMMER for us ....

good for him ... he got what he wanted ...

One things for sure ... he wow’s easy ... *L* ...

Darn it ...

Dawg, Imma pick a little bone with ya, here... but with respect and a smile.

I'm with you that it would have been great to have McC here, but I just think about this as consolation:

Him signing elsewhere doesn't diminish our current 'embarrassment of riches' one little bit.

Since '99, this team has never been so well-stocked. On both sides of the ball.

And so, I'm also with Memphis, if you can understand my split personality on this one. McCoy would have been some truly sweet icing on our D's cake... but we already have the necessary ingredients for a pretty damned good cake without him.

In years past, losing out on a Gerald McCoy would have been potentially devastating. If not devastating, certainly deflating. Why?
Because we were so lousy/talent-starved we NEEDED guys like him for our team to even sniff "respectable's" azz. rofl

(Remember how geeked we all were to get FA C LeCharles Bentley back when our OL was the laughingstock of the league? And how destroyed we were when he went down on Day One of TC?)

It's certainly disappointing to miss out on a great player, but it would hurt more- if we were less of a team.

Truth: This is the very first time since '99 that a story like this got nothing more than a shoulder shrug from me. That's how much better I think we are.

I ain't just yet ready to buy a Royal Caribbean cruise ticket to your island... but I'm also not borderline suicidal all the time any more. wink

It's been a fun offseason after a surprising, entertaining year... and I'm unwilling to let this McCoy story place a little dark cloud in my otherwise blue skies.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Gerald McCoy gets $4 million guaranteed, deal heavy on incentives
Michael David Smith,ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports 2 hours 30 minutes ago

Gerald McCoy would have had a $13 million base salary this year if he hadn’t been released by the Buccaneers. He’ll make a lot less than that in Carolina, but how much less will depend on how well he plays.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, McCoy gets just $4 million guaranteed, although he can make up to $10.25 million if he hits all his incentives.

In addition to the signing bonus, the deal includes a $3 million base salary, $500,000 roster bonus at training camp, a total of up to $500,000 in roster bonuses for being active on game days, a $500,000 bonus if he records 6.5 sacks and a $1.5 million bonus if he records eight sacks, plus $250,000 if he makes the Pro Bowl and $250,000 if the Panthers make the playoffs.

There’s no reason McCoy shouldn’t get the $3 million base salary and $500,000 roster bonus, which will bring him up to $7.5 million on the season, but the incentives will be tough to reach. If McCoy were to have an identical season in 2019 to the one he had in 2018, he’d make $437,500 in per-gram roster bonuses (for playing 14 out of 16 games), and hit none of the incentives: Last year McCoy didn’t get 6.5 sacks, didn’t make the Pro Bowl and the Panthers didn’t make the playoffs.

McCoy and his agent may have been looking for a way to spin the contract as comparable to or even better than the deal that Ndamukong Suh got to replace McCoy in Tampa, and by structuring it so that he can make up to $10.25 million, they’re allowing for the possibility that McCoy will make more than the $10 million maximum Suh can make this season.

The difference, however, is that Suh gets a $9.25 million salary, and only $750,000 of his pay is in incentives. McCoy is unlikely to hit enough incentives to reach $9.25 million. If McCoy were to have the same season this year that he had last year, he’d make just under $8 million — meaning getting cut by the Bucs will cost him more than $5 million.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gerald-mccoy-gets-4-million-230443352.html

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
he’d make $437,500 in per-gram roster bonuses

He'll be the richest guy in the NFL!

He weighs a lot of grams!

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum McCoy continued ...

Link Copied to Clipboard