Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Larry Ogunjobi, Genard Avery attend Von Miller's Pass Rush Summit - Brownsmaven
https://footballmaven.io/browns/news/lar...30yUTA7u0yew1A/

Von Miller held his third annual pass rush summit at UNLV and two Cleveland Browns attended; Larry Ogunjobi and Genard Avery. The summit is a fair more than it is a seminar style event where players can show off their arsenal of pass rush moves and others can take them, adapt them or leave them.

Larry Ogunjob is no fool. He's pretty brilliant, but he's not unwilling to learn from other players. Since entering the league, he has forged a relationship with Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins and trained with him each offseason he's been in the league. This is another avenue Ogunjobi has employed to add to his own game.

Genard Avery also attended, who is in his first offseason in the NFL. Avery is coming off of a successful rookie campaign as a situational pass rusher and this provides an opportunity for him to improve his skill set.

Avery is interesting because he's light on his feet and can use agility, but he's got the strength of a power lifter to go with it. He has a lot of options in terms of how he can win as a pass rusher and he's showed off a few of those last year. From running the arc to driving an opposing blocker into the quarterback's lap, there's a lot of potential to grow.

Ogunjobi and Avery have a ton in common. Ogunjobi has remarkable strength and athleticism in his own right. And both players came from schools that aren't renowned football factories with an impressive fraternity of players that help each other once they get into the league. Memphis has certainly enjoyed more success sending players to the NFL than the University of Charlotte, which has a football program still in its infancy.

Ogunjobi entering this third year is still not a refined player, winning more on his brute strength and athleticism than anything else. And the first month of the 2018 season, he showed that off starting the season on a tear and almost single-handedly flustered the New Orleans Saints offense led by Drew Brees, a game the Browns ultimately lost in overtime.

If he can really master the technique he's developing working with guys like Atkins, those at the pass rush summit and then the Browns coaching staff, he can take another big step forward. This is why teammates like Myles Garrett believe he can go to the Pro Bowl.

Avery has the same ceiling. Both could earn some postseason accolades at points in their career. And while he's likely to be technically called a backup with Garrett and Olivier Vernon ahead of him on the depth chart, he can earn his way to getting close to the same number of snaps as they do in any given game. The potential is there for him to get a double-digit sack season and it might come as soon as this year.

Ogunjobi and Avery are part of an incredibly talented pass rush group that goes at least five deep currently and should be a major reason the Browns have postseason aspirations this coming year and for the near future.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Browns D-lineman Larry Ogunjobi, linebacker Genard Avery attended Von Miller’s pass rush summit - cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/06...ush-summit.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Last offseason, Browns defensive lineman Larry Ogunjobi tracked down Geno Atkins to work with the Bengals dynamic interior pass rusher. His quest for knowledge continues this offseason. He attended Von Miller’s pass rush summit at UNLV.

Linebacker Genard Avery was also in attendance.

Ogunjobi posted stories on his Instagram account, olumide, and popped up in a group photo from the summit, as did Avery.

This was the third pass rush summit Miller has held, according to BroncosWire, and included guest coaches DeMarcus Ware and Doug Flutie.

From BroncosWire:

“'It’s a place where we can link and learn,' Miller told teammates before the on-field work began. ‘It’s not a teaching clinic, where I get up here and teach. I just show you what makes me good, and likewise you show me what makes you guys great -- what made DeMarcus great -- and if we can apply that to our game, we do. If we can’t, we can’t. But I’m positive that -- we’ve got all these guys here in one spot -- we’ll be able to learn something.’”

Miller also said that Flutie was in attendance to offer the quarterback’s perspective to facing a pass rush.

Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald was also in attendance, as was Bradley Chubb, Miller’s teammate who logged 12 sacks his rookie season.

Ogunjobi had a strong second season, collecting 5.5 sacks. He played the final month of the season through a torn biceps. The 2017 third-round pick turned 25 years old on Monday.

Teammate Myles Garrett predicted a Pro Bowl for Ogunjobi two weeks ago. Defensive coordinator Steve Wilks wasn’t ready for bold proclamations a day later, but he’s seen good things from Ogunjobi.

“He has the talent and the skillset,” Wilks said. “We will see how it goes.”

Avery is coming off of a rookie season that saw him quickly rise to become one of the Browns’ key pass rushers. A fifth-round pick in 2018, Avery logged 4.5 sacks, including a forced fumble against Ben Roethlisberger in overtime of the opener against the Steelers.

Learning from some of the best pass rushers in the game can only help.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was the location of the summit "at the QB"?

Legend
Legend
I love stuff like this.

It's as encouraging as can be... after years of stories like Winslow's cycle crash, Braylon Edward's barefoot mis-step, Josh Gordon's 15th annual self-imposed rehab joint, or similar off/pre-season foolishness.

Lately, it feels as if we've been following an actual professional football team.

What a unique and pleasant sensation.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Was the location of the summit "at the QB"?

Nice.
I see what you did.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's reporting like this that fuels my confidence that the players aren't distracted by the media hype surrounding this offseason.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
I love stuff like this.

It's as encouraging as can be... after years of stories like Winslow's cycle crash, Braylon Edward's barefoot mis-step, Josh Gordon's 15th annual self-imposed rehab joint, or similar off/pre-season foolishness.

Lately, it feels as if we've been following an actual professional football team.

What a unique and pleasant sensation.

This is DIFFERENT ....

hmmm ... that sounds familiar ... seems like i’ve heard it several times since last Sept. ... naughtydevil

Legend
Legend
Young men taking their careers seriously.. Trying to master their crafts by learning from those that wish to teach. Not bad...Not bad at all.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I feel the same way, Clem. I am torn though.

Do I feel better because some of the crappy sideshow stuff taking away from the team has stopped or all the good stuff flooding in that is replacing it. Starting the year without an artificial QB controversy, and actually with a successful clear starter in place is worlds better than the JFF media fiasco.

Unleash this beast.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I've got my fingers crossed this is the year that Ogunjobi truly breaks out. His second season was a significant leap from his rookie year, and I can see year three being the year he approaches playing at a pro-bowl level.

I'm not sure what is going to happen with Avery. He's got the talent but his success seemed to come when Ogbah kicked inside - something I don't see happening with Vernon. I hope the Browns are able to find a decent role for him. I assumed he'd be a starting backer but who knows.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Avery will be a situational pass rusher which is the perfect role for him at this point in his career. Hopefully he can be more when Vernon is gone.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Avery will be a situational pass rusher which is the perfect role for him at this point in his career. Hopefully he can be more when Vernon is gone.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ogunjobi and Avery Attend Von Miller's Pass Rush Summit

Link Copied to Clipboard