Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Legend
Legend
P
What Duke was paid has been an ongoing debate. I've been on the side that says we overpaid. I believe that's why trading him has been hard. At this juncture I believe most in the league realize that the situation has become at least a slight distraction, and if anything will only get worse.

I believe the sharks are smart enough to swim in the water awaiting Duke being cut. We already have our QB spouting off to the press. That's never a good sign.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
When assessing the RB market, it's important to note that at least seven of the top ten running backs are on their rookie deal. The market is artificial.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
3. Mayfield has emerged as the leader of the team without declaring that he is,

That's good because if somebody has to tell you they are the leader of something, they probably aren't.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

That's good because if somebody has to tell you they are the leader of something, they probably aren't.

I agree. That's why you don't hear me proclaiming I am the leader of this board. Ha!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I know a lot of people love big receivers. I do, too. However, what separates OBJ and AB from everyone else is how fast they are in and out of breaks. They create instant separation. That's huge!

This is a good point, and yeah, OBJ is crazy fast out of his breaks. Fast out of breaks, great speed, great catching ability-- those types of guys are super hard to cover.

It does seem like that type of receiver is becoming more common. I think some of the more recent NFL rule changes and emphases come into play here as receivers are protected more now than they ever have been. They don't take as much of a beating over the middle. That and maybe just the general evolution of the NFL passing game where QBs and offenses are a bit more precise.

On the other side of the ball, it's nice to have a guy like Denzel Ward to match up with receivers like that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

On the other side of the ball, it's nice to have a guy like Denzel Ward to match up with receivers like that.

Very true!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
...We already have our QB spouting off to the press. That's never a good sign.

rolleyes

Wow...just...wow.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
...We already have our QB spouting off to the press. That's never a good sign.

rolleyes

Wow...just...wow.

It's happening again! rofl

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You’re with the team, or you aren’t and that any awkwardness for Johnson is “self-inflicted.”

Yeah, he's not saying anything negative in regards to Duke. He just can't shut up and play QB. That's not my fault.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Mountain, meet mole hill.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't say it was a mountain. A mountain is an obstacle. A mole hill is a distraction. All young people say things they probably shouldn't or isn't wise. That's not an anomaly.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
He was responding to a question asked of him. I don't see any problem. Was anything he said untrue?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I didn't say it was a mountain. A mountain is an obstacle. A mole hill is a distraction. All young people say things they probably shouldn't or isn't wise. That's not an anomaly.
so do posters.....

you don't like the kid, that's all it is. and your entitled to your opinion. But to say he is doing something he is not is disingenuous.

You never called anyone else out on talking to the media about things they shouldn't have in the past, why start now?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes. It was the team who first tried to trade Duke, not the other way around. The best thing any player can do is let each position of responsibility do their job. Not overstep what is their responsibility. Young people say things they shouldn't. It's nothing new. Saying that isn't his department and he'll defer those questions to Dorsey or the HC would have been the smart thing to say.

Making this a one sided issue as though the team didn't play a part in all of this wasn't accurate. But like I said, young people make stupid comments sometimes.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Baker-to-Beckham might end up being my favorite QB-WR stack going into fantasy football season

Baker-to-Higgins might be the second. naughtydevil

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
OBJ making it to voluntary workouts wasn't so much about catching the ball or running a route so much as it was learning the offense and playbook, and working on timing/rhythm with Baker and the other QBs.

This was even subtly acknowledged in one of the articles earlier in the thread ("The two's timing isn't perfect"), probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but I still wonder what was so important that he couldn't make it to practices on a new team, with a new head coach.

Like I said, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The players negotiated a very favorable off-season practice schedule and they have every right not to come to voluntary practices.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Haus
OBJ making it to voluntary workouts wasn't so much about catching the ball or running a route so much as it was learning the offense and playbook, and working on timing/rhythm with Baker and the other QBs.

This was even subtly acknowledged in one of the articles earlier in the thread ("The two's timing isn't perfect"), probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but I still wonder what was so important that he couldn't make it to practices on a new team, with a new head coach.

Like I said, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The players negotiated a very favorable off-season practice schedule and they have ever right to not come to voluntary practices.
And yet every report says he was playing on day 1 every spot - meaning he knows the playbook already well enough to do so. . . . . it was a non story that many on here told a few, a few that refused to listen.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Water under the bridge at this point. I'm glad he's at mandatory minicamps and, by all accounts, performing very well.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I tend to agree, but I don't think saying you are the leader diminishes your leadership. LeBron has started every third sentence with "as leader of the team" since his rookie year.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Very true!

U
Rookie
Rookie
U
You’re with the team, or you aren’t and that any awkwardness for Johnson is “self-inflicted.”

Yeah, he's not saying anything negative in regards to Duke. He just can't shut up and play QB. That's not my fault.

So its OK that Duke was at OTA's and say's he wants to be traded to the media, but when Baker is asked about this hes say's its self inflicted , thats not right?

How about Duke shuts up and plays football. This is OTA's, you know organized TEAM activities. This is the time to practice and work with your TEAM! Leave that drama off the field. When Baker say's your on the train or not, its stating that Duke needs to leave that petty crap some where else and work with the TEAM. Even Kitchens stated that Duke is still a Cleveland Brown. Not going to argue that the Browns put Duke on the trade block cuz by some reports this is correct. Now I'm not saying that Duke doesn't have a voice but he should of voiced it at another time and not distract from the OTA's. IMHO Baker was 100% correct in his response and handled it wisely as a leader of this team.

But if you really want to blame someone, blame our wonderful media, playing the question games that they do to get a story. They are the true evil causing the drama.

C
Legend
Legend
C
How about we just let people say how they feel and don't tell them what to do?

Also, the media is literally doing their job. How stupid would it be if they didn't ask Duke Johnson, who they haven't talked to all off-season, about his trade request? And then how stupid would it be if they didn't ask Baker Mayfield, the leader of the team, about Duke Johnson?

Bottomline -- No one is in the wrong. None of this matters.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. People just expressing their opinion.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It seems to me that a team (or more) called Dorsey about Duke, and Dorsey didn't slam the phone. (an entirely reasonable course of action for a GM)

If a team, or teams, call about a player, you listen. I cannot imagine us trading Baker, for example, but if KC calls and says "How about Mahommes and our next 5 first round picks for Baker?" you listen.

From everything I can recall having heard from John Dorsey, this is what happened. He said that aren't trading him. (with the silent affirmation, applicable to every player, "unless we get an offer we simply cannot refuse")

I think that Duke is using supposed trade rumors and hurt feelings, as an excuse to cover a desire for a bigger role.

Duke admitted that he thought about demanding a trade last year. (even though it was too late, IIRC) So, the guy who probably caused other teams to think they might be able to trade for him was actually ...... himself.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I think that Duke is using supposed trade rumors and hurt feelings, as an excuse to cover a desire for a bigger role.

We don't have to suppose what Duke Johnson is feeling, he said it all:

Quote:
I'm big on loyalty," said the versatile Johnson, whose role was reduced last season following the arrival of rookie Nick Chubb. "I've felt as I've been loyal to this organization through it all, and the moment that I no longer have loyalty - and that's even in my personal life, friends, family, the moment the loyalty stops, it stops on both ends. It's not a one-way street. It stops on my end.

"I was put on the trade block a month before I requested a trade," said Johnson, who had a career low in carries (40) and receptions (47) last season. "That's essentially my biggest issue. Again, my role since I've been on this team hasn't been big for four years, not just last year. It hasn't been for four years, and, again, I didn't ask for a trade, didn't complain, just came out and did my job."

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20190604/sports/306049903

E
Legend
Legend
E
I feel that Duke is getting a raw deal and they should let him go. The other players seeing this arent going to be happy, because it could be them next.

No Craps Given
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I feel that Duke is getting a raw deal and they should let him go. The other players seeing this arent going to be happy, because it could be them next.

That's not how this works. Imagine if fairness was instituted by every player who felt they were treated unfairly and the team had to let them go. This is literally how the NFL works. The team tries to get good players, if the players are better than you then you play less.

Legend
Legend

You don't think that the other players want the best other players around them?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

That's not how this works. Imagine if fairness was instituted by every player who felt they were treated unfairly and the team had to let them go.

Or felt he was paid unfairly.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

That's not how this works. Imagine if fairness was instituted by every player who felt they were treated unfairly and the team had to let them go.

It is how it works. If you force an unhappy player to play when they want a trade or unhappy state and then brag about it to the media, it only makes you look bad.

Who does that?

When Kyrie wanted out did we not let him leave? Dan Gilbert has more common sense.

So its so much better to force an unhappy player to play in a situation that is not good for his career? And talk ish about it to the media?

That will make other players not want to come to CLE.

Its a bad look. Browns egos getting a bit large.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
Im ok with Browns players and coaches talking ish about very many things, but not about your own teammates. That was immature from both FK and BM.

Thats how problems start on the team. You think Duke doesnt have friends on the team?

No Craps Given
C
Legend
Legend
C
Dan Gilbert has more common sense.

If you force an unhappy player to play when they want a trade or unhappy state and then brag about it to the media, it only makes you look bad.

Who bragged?

That will make other players not want to come to CLE.

"I was going to sign with the Browns but then I remembered that they held Duke Johnson to his contract."

Players do what is best for them for the most part. That means signing with teams that give them the most money or give them the best chance to win. The Washington Redskins, the biggest clown show in the NFL as of right now, signed some of the best free agents this off-season.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I will stop arguing about it. I just dislike this entire situation and how its being handled.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
It's happening again! rofl

It certainly is and it's not surprising you are instigating it.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Duke is a nice player for his role, but lots of players can play that role, and they abound.

Even taking Hilliard out of the mix, Duke is 3rd team behind Chubb and Hunt, and both of those guys can catch the ball well.

Maybe we get lucky, if getting lucky means someone gets hurt, but we are going to have a hard time trading the guy. Teams might want the player, but they aren't going to want the contract.

A Theo Riddick isn't worth that much when you can plug in a guy like Hilliard on a rookie deal.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't think he wants to be let go because he won't make as much money. He wants to be traded. The problem as I see it is there are teams who would like to roster him, they just don't want to at Dukes pay grade.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I doubt a 5 million dollar contact is going to stop a lot of people lol

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I don't think he wants to be let go because he won't make as much money. He wants to be traded. The problem as I see it is there are teams who would like to roster him, they just don't want to at Dukes pay grade.

My guess is that he is more valuable to the team than what we have been offered in a trade. A 2020 sixth round pick is not going to contribute nearly as much value as Duke Johnson (even if he is stuck behind two other backs for half the season). The moment the value is right is the moment he is traded.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mandatory Minicamp Thread (not to be confused w/ voluntary workouts)

Link Copied to Clipboard