Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The only game the "games started vs games played" distinction would come into play would be week 3 vs NYJ.

In that game, Tyrod Taylor went 4/14 for 19 yards, taking 3 sacks in the process. He was benched with the Browns trailing 0-14.

In came Baker Mayfield, who effortlessly marched the Browns down the field for a touchdown. The Browns ended up winning the game 21-17.

If you want to give Tyrod Taylor credit for that win, more power to you. I'll take the common sense, know-it-when-you-see-it standard over the official stat, since the latter makes no sense in this case.

Last edited by Haus; 06/05/19 08:54 PM.
Haus #1630075 06/05/19 08:55 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not "giving" anything. I am going by official NFL records.

Please stop.

Arguing over his record isn't that important. The important thing is that he called out a fellow teammate and that is indeed a distraction. Please stop deflecting simply in order to win another argument.

Btw..............this is precisely why I don't like talking to you. You try much too hard to win rather than discuss.

cfrs15 #1630079 06/05/19 08:57 PM
Legend
Legend
Back to Duke Johnson:

I think that any team wanting to trade for him will try to get him on the cheap.

His average contract value per year is 11th in the NFL.

This year he would cost us against the cap to trade him. The next 2 years we would save cap space if we traded or cut him. I think he's here this year, and may be cut next year ..... since most teams don't want a backup RB on a contract paaying them $4 and $5 million/year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Back to Duke Johnson:

Back to? Baker's comments about Duke were about Duke. There is no back to. Just because some may not want to hear it doesn't change a thing.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Most back up RBs make 4-5 million a year. See Dion Lewis or James White.

Haus #1630089 06/05/19 09:10 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Haus

[Baker's record in games he's played: 7-7
Duke's record in games he's played: 11-52-1
Duke's record in games he played, without Baker Mayfield: 4-45-1

Am I seriously reading this. Whoa! Duke was not in position to win games from a solo role in a way that the COACH OR THE QUARTERBACK WERE, rolleyes x a Million!

How about how Duke was playing Before Hue arrived, were there individual plays that won games, some days he was the (one of the) only guy(s) on offense getting first downs.

And He was the 2ND RUNNING BACK!, it's like giving a speeding ticket an blame for driving to a child in a back seat car seat, to assign wins vs. losses to the solo play of the 2nd RB, who performs well.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
CHSDawg #1630090 06/05/19 09:11 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Is this true? "Most?"

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am not "giving" anything. I am going by official NFL records.

Please stop.

Arguing over his record isn't that important. The important thing is that he called out a fellow teammate and that is indeed a distraction. Please stop deflecting simply in order to win another argument.

Btw..............this is precisely why I don't like talking to you. You try much too hard to win rather than discuss.

Stop what? Can't handle a reasonable critique about one of your posts? You used your "official NFL records" to say that Mayfield is a losing quarterback which is technically true, but you left out the fact that is only true when counting the Jets game as a win for Tyrod Taylor and not Baker Mayfield.

Anybody who watched that game knew that Mayfield came down when the Browns were down 0-14 and he was the only Browns QB that helped the team win that day.

Pick any of a hundred quotes about stats that you like. “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.”

I'm sure Mayfield and Duke will be fine so long as Duke spends spends his time and energy helping the Browns win instead of trying to find another team to play for.

Seriously, there was a report in one of these threads that said the two were fine at practice. Much ado about... very little... as far as I'm concerned.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

[Baker's record in games he's played: 7-7
Duke's record in games he's played: 11-52-1
Duke's record in games he played, without Baker Mayfield: 4-45-1

Am I seriously reading this. Whoa! Duke was not in position to win games from a solo role in a way that the COACH OR THE QUARTERBACK WERE, rolleyes x a Million!

How about how Duke was playing Before Hue arrived, were there individual plays that won games, some days he was the (one of the) only guy(s) on offense getting first downs.

And He was the 2ND RUNNING BACK!, it's like giving a speeding ticket an blame for driving to a child in a back seat car seat, to assign wins vs. losses to the solo play of the 2nd RB, who performs well.

Yeah, I know, I already addressed this in that very post:

"I realize these aren't exactly apples to apples comparisons-- different teams, different positions, and so on. However, let's not pretend that Duke is beyond criticism because he was part of this outstanding veteran group that predated Baker's time here, or whatever you're getting at."

I do think that if Duke were as vital a player as he seems to think that we'd have won a few more games over the years but I'm by no means blaming him for all those losses. There were obviously a lot of things that went wrong during his time here that had little or nothing to do with him.

Haus #1630098 06/05/19 09:22 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Stop what? Stop deflecting. I cited a NFL stat. Not an opinion.

It isn't even all that important to the real point. You are simply trying to discredit my opinion by deflecting.

You and Nelson win. I'll stop. But, that changes nothing!

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Yes. Most back up running backs who have gotten a second or third NFL contract make about 4-5 mil a year. Mark Ingram, Gio Bernard, Jerrick, Latavious Murray all get paid more than Duke. Just because Alvin Kamara and Nick Chubb get paid less than 1 mil a year doesn't mean that you can find a top 10 RB in free agency for a million dollars. Maybe if we learn that there's a difference between free agent contracts and rookie deals, we can push pass this stupid line of thinking all together. If people want to get a good grasp on the economics of the position then people should focus on team positional spending at the position instead of individual contracts. See how much the average team spends (8.5 mil) vs. what we spend 7 mil. But who knows. Maybe the Patriots are idiots because they spend 100k less on their third string RB than the Browns do.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We've been through this before. I like Baker's demeanor and call-it-as-he-sees it attitude, you don't, and we'll probably never agree when he does something that goes against the grain. Whatever.

Duke probably needed a little reality check. On his best day, he's the 5th best option on this team (OBJ, Landry, Chubb, and Hunt). He'd be 8th if you add Callaway, Higgins, Njoku, maybe even a couple others.

He's a shifty third down back that can catch the ball well out of the backfield or in the slot. He has been misused in the past and he can be a useful contributor, but not like he's a game-breaking player. If even a single other GM thought of him that way, he'd have been traded a long time ago.

Haus #1630104 06/05/19 09:58 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The only game the "games started vs games played" distinction would come into play would be week 3 vs NYJ.

In that game, Tyrod Taylor went 4/14 for 19 yards, taking 3 sacks in the process. He was benched with the Browns trailing 0-14.

In came Baker Mayfield, who effortlessly marched the Browns down the field for a touchdown. The Browns ended up winning the game 21-17.

If you want to give Tyrod Taylor credit for that win, more power to you. I'll take the common sense, know-it-when-you-see-it standard over the official stat, since the latter makes no sense in this case.

Correction: Baker marched down the field for a field goal. My memory was off on that... for some reason I remember it as a touchdown. My bad. I still feel the same way about the rest of the post though.

Anyway, back to Duke: https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/...b-duke-johnson/

Quote:
Could Chiefs explore trade for disgruntled Browns RB Duke Johnson?

There’s an intriguing offensive weapon that has reiterated to the public that he wants to be traded from his current team.

Browns RB Duke Johnson previously requested that the Browns trade him. This came after the team signed former Chiefs RB Kareem Hunt, and Johnson found out that the Browns had been mentioning his name in trade talks a month prior to his request.

Johnson showed up to Browns mandatory minicamp begrudgingly after skipping voluntary OTA workouts with the team. He told reporters that he still wants to be traded because of he feels “unwanted” by the Browns. This has caused a wave of comments from his QB Baker Mayfield and coach Freddie Kitchens that seem to be making an untenable working environment.

Check out Johnson’s comments on his trade request below:

Johnson’s desires are clear, but could the Chiefs possibly be interested in acquiring him? It makes sense that perhaps his name came up in trade talks previously when the two teams swapped Eric Murray for Emmanuel Ogbah.

From the perspective of Johnson’s talents, a trade to Kansas City would absolutely be a fit. Johnson has the reputation as a strong receiver out of the backfield or flexed out wide. Andy Reid is just the type of coach that could figure out the best way to utilize and maximize his skill set.

The Chiefs currently have six running backs on the 90-man roster, technically seven if you include fullback Anthony Sherman. Damien Williams was recently announced as the starting running back, but behind that things are rather murky for the position group. Trading draft capital for a player like Johnson would likely guarantee him a roster spot and limit the potential of a undrafted guy like James Williams making 53-man roster. It could even potentially push out Johnson’s former Browns teammate Carlos Hyde.

I’m not certain the Chiefs are willing to give up on the competition they currently have at the position to add a player like Johnson to the fold. The Browns don’t seem to currently want to trade Johnson. Prying him away from his current team might take more effort and draft capital than the Chiefs are willing to put in.

Things could quickly change if the team suffered a key injury at the position group, but that’s a bridge the team would cross when they get there.

It seems like there's a lot of speculation there. Reid has been known to get the most out of backs like this though, going back to his time in Philly with Brian Westbrook and LeSean McCoy.

I'm not really interested in helping the Chiefs out anyway, but if the price is right..

Haus #1630105 06/05/19 10:00 PM
Legend
Legend

I do think that if Duke were as vital a player as he seems to think that we'd have won a few more games over the years but I'm by no means blaming him for all those losses. There were obviously a lot of things that went wrong during his time here that had little or nothing to do with him.

Whats your source in saying Duke feels he is such a vital player to this team?

Dukes deal is he feels the Browns aren't being loyal to him, as he feels hes been loyal to the Browns.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
CHSDawg #1630110 06/05/19 10:55 PM
Legend
Legend

Really?

Duke is the 11th highest paid RB by annual average.

Running Back Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap
https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

Dion Lewis is 14th, and White is 17th. The highest paid backup RB, though, is Duke Johnson.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Yes. Average annual contract is a bad metric to use because it's not representative of any season nor does it factor in future contracts RBs might receive. If you're using it to forecast the RB market, then you will not be able to get an accurate reading. Especially when it comes to interfacing with RBs on the 5th year. For example, average salary says that Melvin Gordon is paid 2.5 mil avg per season, but ignores that he's getting paid 5.5 mil this year.

Instead, I would again, suggest using positional salary per team or at least focus it on a couple of years. For example, in 2019 Duke will make 3.1 mil per year and is the 20th highest paid RB in the NFL. Jerick McKinnon is the highest paid back up this year (and when you average their salary) at 5.75 and 7.5 respectably.

Even next year Duke is going to make 4 mil a year, and will be the 13th highest paid RB in the league assuming that many RBs like Melvin Gordon and Derrick Henry don't sign an NFL contract, which is a rather ludicrous assumption.

CHSDawg #1630130 06/06/19 05:44 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Average annual contract is a bad metric to use

Yes. Yes it most certainly is.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Then look at his cap hit.

Cap hit:

2019: $3.05 million
2020: $4,85 million
2021: $5.9 million

His signing bonus is only $750K/year. So, if we deduct that bonus, he's still a very highly paid RB. If you want to knock out the $100K workout bonus, he's still at $4 million and $5 million.

He's well paid for an NFL RB, especially a backup.

Now, 20th highest paid.... 15th highest paid .....as CHS noted above, by cancelling out his signing bonus (which no one does for cap purposes) then fine ....... is Duke the 15th, or 20th best, most productive RB in the NFL? He's the 3rd best, most productive RB on his own team. (assuming that Hunt returns to form on the field)

This year it would cost the Browns a million dollars, against the cap, to cut or trade Duke. Next year the team can see a cap savings if they cut or trade him. I think he's here this year, unless we get a knock out type offer for him.

CHSDawg #1630168 06/06/19 10:48 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Yes. Average annual contract is a bad metric to use because it's not representative of any season nor does it factor in future contracts RBs might receive. If you're using it to forecast the RB market, then you will not be able to get an accurate reading. Especially when it comes to interfacing with RBs on the 5th year. For example, average salary says that Melvin Gordon is paid 2.5 mil avg per season, but ignores that he's getting paid 5.5 mil this year.

Instead, I would again, suggest using positional salary per team or at least focus it on a couple of years. For example, in 2019 Duke will make 3.1 mil per year and is the 20th highest paid RB in the NFL. Jerick McKinnon is the highest paid back up this year (and when you average their salary) at 5.75 and 7.5 respectably.

Even next year Duke is going to make 4 mil a year, and will be the 13th highest paid RB in the league assuming that many RBs like Melvin Gordon and Derrick Henry don't sign an NFL contract, which is a rather ludicrous assumption.

Are you talking about cap hit or actual cash earnings? Spotrac is pretty good for information on this. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/duke-johnson-16801/

So for example, last year Duke made 5.9+ mil in cash but 3.89 mil cap hit (signing bonus is cash now but prorates the cap hit over multiple years). This year he'll earn 2.3 mil cash, but the cap hit is 3.0+ mil, and so on. He has made plenty for what he brings.

Running back is an odd position because when a team pays a RB big money, they're almost always paying for past performance. Look at the teams paying big money for free agent RBs-- not good teams, in most cases. I don't know why we would want to follow their lead.

Ballpeen #1630173 06/06/19 11:07 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Politics and business aren't the same thing. If he were being honest he would might have said, "Well, the FO put Duke on the trading block first so I can understand why he doesn't feel supported by the FO."

Is that the kind of honest you mean?

So you are saying you think Dorsey sucks for doing that?

I'm saying trades, player contracts, comments on those situations and dealing with such situations are the job of coaches and the FO, not the players. To defer to those people and staying in your own lane is the proper way to conduct your business.

I'm also saying that if a player knows that the FO sees him as expendable, it only stands to reason he may not hold the greatest of loyalty in return.

I think you knew exactly what I meant to begin with.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1630178 06/06/19 11:13 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
And it's a total distraction having your QB making statements to the press about how this is all duke's fault.

I know your interpretation of distraction falls under the dislikes some have for Baker.

But I must of missed this, can you share? I have seen no distraction on this team let alone by their amazing leader.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1630183 06/06/19 11:20 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's has nothing to do with a dislike for Baker. It has everything to do with young people saying things they shouldn't say sometimes. It's not that big of a deal. But for people not to see it is hilarious.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
Average annual contract is a bad metric to use

Yes. Yes it most certainly is.

Says two of the 4 or so menZas that believe VG is overpaid ... and the metric they use to prove it is his __________ ....

rofl ... u guessed it ... his average annual contract #...

Oh the sweet sweet irony ... *LOL* ...

PitDAWG #1630196 06/06/19 11:44 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Are you talking about the comment about Duke basically making his own bed???

Again if that was the comment you were referring to...your personal dislikes of Baker were obvious in you rendition of what transpired. I fail to see this being a distraction of any kind created by Baker. To come up with that interpretation and representing it as a fact shows some disdain for our QB and ironically liked by one who definitely disdains the young QB.

You should actually show that it was your opinion.
I read it as a fact and was wondering what he said. He pretty much towed the line of his HC. I just don't see how that would remotely be a "Distraction" Baker hater tongue saying you ARE NOT does not cut the cheese when your actions show otherwise...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1630213 06/06/19 12:25 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm actually wearing a Baker Nike T-shirt as you spew your drivel. smile

I don't care what you think Tab. Because it seems you don't actually do much of that.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1630220 06/06/19 12:49 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Baker can say a anything he desires and there will never be any backlash.
why?
hes the franchise qb
the leader of this team
Those things insulate him from backlash.
Duke wants to be traded.
he wants more snaps.
understandable.
this isnt 2016 or 17.
hes not the best player on offense anymore
hes a 5th option who cant even return kicks

DiamDawg #1630229 06/06/19 01:05 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Average Salary = #4 WR
Guaranteed $$ = #5 WR
Practical Guaranteed = #5 WR
Contract Total $$ = #5 WR

Choose any metric you'd like, but here are 4.... 4 for 4 menzas.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Average Salary = #4 WR
Guaranteed $$ = #5 WR
Practical Guaranteed = #5 WR
Contract Total $$ = #5 WR

Choose any metric you'd like, but here are 4.... 4 for 4 menzas.

Or a straight up lie ... u may wanna check your sources on the average ... he’s 8th at both sites i went too ... i’ll provide a link to one of them ... u didn’t provide one at all ... i’d Like to see where the differences lie ... *L* ...

According to over the cap VG is 8th in average salary for 2019 .....

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

According to the same site VG is 10th in 2019 cap hit ...

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/2019/

I wonder why your site has such different numbers ... u gotta love the internet ... *L* ...

Not sure what the other three metrics u used are worth to what u said .. it was between average and cap hit ... now sure u even provided the cap hit in your 4 for 4 (wonder how many of the are wrong as the average takes him from 5th to 8th ... NICE JOB DAWG ... *L* ....) ... i have no clue what practical guaranteed means ... my guess is was the only other metric that fit your BS opinion ... *LOL* ..

Where did he rank in cap hit for this year on your site? ...

So thats 3 for 4 at best menZa .. and seeing as how your site is 0 - 1 in accuracy thats a big if ... *L* .. i have no desire to check it as i could care less ... thumbsup

DiamDawg #1630260 06/06/19 02:20 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
You're right, the least important metric of the ones I provided is 8th, instead of 5th-- not really much better. The others were correct.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/wide-receiver/

Is that all it takes to go from overpaid to not-overpaid?

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
He was never overpaid .... thumbsup

Huh .. i just went and looked ... on the link u provided when u click on the average salary tab it says VG is 8th ... in your initial post u stated VG was 4th in average salary ....

Thats very mis-leading at best ... hopefully it was just a mistake ...

And the metric u like way more than the average yearly salary according to u is the cap hit for this year metric .. that metric puts VG right around where he should be at #10 in 2019 ....

Knock yourself out dude ... i’m done fact checking u here ... *L* ...

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Then look at his cap hit.

Cap hit:

2019: $3.05 million
2020: $4,85 million
2021: $5.9 million

His signing bonus is only $750K/year. So, if we deduct that bonus, he's still a very highly paid RB. If you want to knock out the $100K workout bonus, he's still at $4 million and $5 million.

He's well paid for an NFL RB, especially a backup.

Now, 20th highest paid.... 15th highest paid .....as CHS noted above, by cancelling out his signing bonus (which no one does for cap purposes) then fine ....... is Duke the 15th, or 20th best, most productive RB in the NFL? He's the 3rd best, most productive RB on his own team. (assuming that Hunt returns to form on the field)

This year it would cost the Browns a million dollars, against the cap, to cut or trade Duke. Next year the team can see a cap savings if they cut or trade him. I think he's here this year, unless we get a knock out type offer for him.

I'm not sure why we're knocking his bonuses off. Our numbers digressed, because I rounded up as an act of generosity.

Yes, he's not going to be the 13th or 15th best back in the NFL. But again, the market has a fixed floor. A more accurate representation would be team overall spending or comparing him to players who have signed a contract. Comparing him to a back up RB on their rookie deal is disingenuous. So my question is, who is he overpaid compared to? Because to me it looks like he got a similar contract to Dion Lewis and James White, which sounds about right. What RB would you rather have at 5.5 mil over the next 3 years?

Look, I understand the analytics of drafting a RB to save money, but to assume said draft pick is just automatically going to be better than DUke Johnson is absurd.

CHSDawg #1630266 06/06/19 02:49 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
To me the point would be that many teams would see it as far wiser to draft a RB with a similar skill set than to trade a current player on their roster for a much higher paid RB with that skill set.

The RB position is highly undervalued in the NFL at the current time IMO. But unless a team suffers an injury and has an immediate need, drafting a RB would be much wiser from a cap perspective than losing a player on your roster and paying that price tag.

#gmstrong
Haus #1630267 06/06/19 02:50 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Running back is an odd position because when a team pays a RB big money, they're almost always paying for past performance. Look at the teams paying big money for free agent RBs-- not good teams, in most cases. I don't know why we would want to follow their lead.

Yes, I like Spotrac as well. As for this question, because if you're building a team around a run game they're important to have. That's why Gurley makes bank, and why Melvin Gordon and Zeke will soon start getting paid as well. Yes, you certainly don't want to be the Jets reaching for a RB in FA. However, spending high at RB isn't uncommon. The Rams and Patriots have been in the top 5 for the past two years in spending. Both spending over 10 mil a year this year. To put it in perspective, we'll be spending $5 million next season at the position.

We luckily have a lot of cheap talent at that position.

CHSDawg #1630268 06/06/19 02:53 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would agree with you when it comes to premiere RB's. But that's really not a part of the equation here.

#gmstrong
DiamDawg #1630269 06/06/19 02:58 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I have no idea why there is all this angst about how much we pay Jarvis. it is like the money is being deducted directly from some folks checking accounts. he is a part of this team that is back to relevance. His pay will not affect us when it comes time to pay our qb so I am not worried about what he makes. I care about his catches, his touchdowns and his leadership. that is why he is here!

PitDAWG #1630272 06/06/19 03:02 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I would agree with you when it comes to premiere RB's. But that's really not a part of the equation here.

Sure it is. When premiere running backs are operating on their rookie deal like most of them are, their salaries will reflect the spot they got drafted in. Not their performance. So you will have many RBs being paid less than any running back on their second or third deal. Those players are not going to be getting that pay rate once they get on their veterans contract. If you look at the actual market, you'll see that top notch RBs are getting paid 10-14 mil a year. That good RBs are being paid 7-9 mil a year and that situational backs are being paid 4-6 mil a year. You cannot base the free agency market on players on their rookie deal. it doesn't make sense.

PitDAWG #1630276 06/06/19 03:10 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
To me the point would be that many teams would see it as far wiser to draft a RB with a similar skill set than to trade a current player on their roster for a much higher paid RB with that skill set.

The RB position is highly undervalued in the NFL at the current time IMO. But unless a team suffers an injury and has an immediate need, drafting a RB would be much wiser from a cap perspective than losing a player on your roster and paying that price tag.

Absolutely. That's always a plan. Sashi liked that idea a lot.

The RB market is certainly undervalued although it's coming to the crossroads quickly. RBs now, unlike 5 years ago, are fully expected how to run a small route tree and to catch the ball. You can't just come out as Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson anymore. There's a reason why it just became OK to pick a RB in the first round again. The nature of the position had very real but subtle shift to the passing game. While it took players awhile to get used to it, the new crop of RBs will get paid by someone. It's much easier said than done to draft a replacement, with a similar skill set. It's much easier to work with a consistent product instead of an unknown. Not every team will think that they can draft the next Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt. At one point those guys will get paid and the market will start to reflect the value of the position in modern offenses.

CHSDawg #1630278 06/06/19 03:16 PM
Legend
Legend
A drafted RB might not have to be better than Duke Johnson. Maybe Hilliard moves up and is as good, or better. Maybe the role Duke was filling is simply eliminated.

Looking at their roles, last year White ran for 425 yards and 5 TD, and caught 87 passes for 751 yards and 7 TD. Is Duke's value the same as his? I don't know. What say you?

Lewis ran for 517 yards and 1 TD, and caught 59 passes for 400 yards, and a TD.

Duke had 630 total yards, and 4 TD.

I see him as having lesser production than both of your examples, but especially White, who had 12 TD last year. (1 less than Duke has for his entire career receiving and rushing)

cfrs15 #1630281 06/06/19 03:24 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Duke is not a consistant TD producer.
he moves the chains.
but he's not one these a "threat to score everytime he touches the ball" kind of player

cfrs15 #1630282 06/06/19 03:24 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You're projecting on things you predict will happen. Not the current state of the situation. Currently a team would.....

A. Have to give up a player on their current roster to acquire Duke.

B. Pay his current contract for a situational RB.

Duke Johnson is currently ranked as the highest paid situational RB.

Now I can understand the point that some of the top RB's are still on their rookie contracts. Yet Duke is the highest paid situational RB in the league ahead of other veteran RB's filling his role.

That's not an enviable position for a team in a trade situation. Whether it be to sign a FA RB or use a draft pick on a situational RB would both be better options. Even in the FA market you would get Duke at a similar price and not have to give up a player in return.

So every other possible scenario would be better than a team actually trading for Duke.

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Duke Johnson

Link Copied to Clipboard