Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1630690 06/07/19 09:11 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I love our idiot president

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I realize the two of you could not find a clue if it was stapled to your foreheads, both of them, and you worked together, but NASA plans to reach Mars, have, for the last thirty years, involved using the moon for a staging base.

There are multiple clear and obvious reasons for doing this, can you name three?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Still trying to act like the smartest guy in the room while also trying to defend a horribly written tweet by Trump? Even given that an attempt to reach Mars might include the moon as a staging base - what Trump wrote is drivel. My 9 year old daughter could construct a better and more grammatically correct statement.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Lmfao, Nelson once again attempting to translate what the “straight shooter” is REALLY trying to say.

Let me know how that ‘boarder’ security is working out.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Read this and make up your own minds:

Quote:

The lunar gateway: a shortcut to Mars?
The Observer
Space

Nasa plans to put a module in orbit around the moon as a springboard for missions to the red planet – and beyond

Robin McKie

Sat 22 Sep 2018 09.00 EDT
Last modified on Sat 22 Sep 2018 19.15 EDT

artists rendering of the gateway in lunar orbit with the orion spacecraft approaching
Artist’s rendering of the Gateway in lunar orbit, with the Orion spacecraft on approach. Photograph: Boeing

Spaceflight will mark an important milestone this year – when Nasa celebrates the 50th anniversary of US astronauts reaching the moon. In December 1968 Frank Borman, Jim Lovell and Bill Anders – on Apollo 8 – swept over the lunar surface and captured bright blue images of Earth rising above the grey plains of the moon. It was one of the most dramatic space missions ever flown. Manned landings followed, but after a few years, the US lost interest in lunar space flights.

But now Nasa has revealed plans to return to the Moon and has asked European scientists and industry leaders to join the agency in a bold plan aimed at rebooting humanity’s conquest of the solar system - in the form of an international manned station that will orbit the moon within the next decade.

The proposed station, the Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway – known as Gateway – will allow astronauts to develop techniques that will open up the lunar surface to exploration and exploitation. At the same time, the station will help humans hone survival skills in deep space in preparation for future manned missions to Mars, says Nasa.

Taking part in the station’s construction would cost Europe more than £1bn and a decision on whether to become involved will be taken at a meeting of European science ministers next year. If ministers give the go-ahead, the European Space Agency (Esa) – of which Britain is a key member – would then join other international partners that Nasa is recruiting to its Gateway project. These include the space agencies of Russia, Canada and Japan.

“Essentially, Gateway will be a robotic outpost that will be visited by groups of astronauts – initially for weeks and then for months at a time,” says David Parker, director of human spaceflight and robotic exploration for Esa and a keen supporter of the project. “They will learn how to survive in deep space and deal with problems such as radiation and meteorites. At the same time they will also direct robot craft that will explore the moon’s surface.”

A go-ahead for Gateway would also bring to an end the hiatus in manned space exploration that has lasted for almost a decade. Since the grounding of the space shuttle, human spaceflights have been restricted to launches of Russia’s Soyuz space capsule, which is used to ferry crew and supplies to the International Space Station (ISS), and the few missions taken by taikonauts on China’s fledgling spacecraft.

Gateway should change that – and it will do so by taking advantage of a major advance in US space engineering which will occur when Nasa begins flights with its new deep-space capsule, Orion, and its launcher, the Space Launch System in a few years. These will form the core components of Gateway along with modules similar to those now used as stores and crew quarters on the ISS (see box), though Nasa stresses Gateway will be considerably smaller than their current Earth-orbiting space station.

And key to operation of their lunar station will be the extraction, from lunar soil, of minerals, chemicals, and – most important – water. “Recent evidence suggests comets and asteroids have bombarded the moon for billions of years, depositing water – in the form of ice – on to its polar regions,” said Mahesh Anand, reader in planetary science and exploration at the Open University.

Scientists like Anand believe it should be possible to use that water to turn the moon into a refuelling station for long-term missions to Mars and beyond. Ice would be harvested, melted and electrolysed – using power generated by solar panels – into its hydrogen and oxygen components. “You could then use that hydrogen and oxygen as liquid propellents,” added Anand. “That is what powered the space shuttle’s main engines after all. Then you could use the moon as a refuelling post to power spaceships to Mars.”

It remains a far-off goal. For a start, astronomers do not have precise details of the most promising places to find water on the moon. Finding those sources will not be easy, but not impossible – thanks to Gateway. It will orbit the moon from a height of a few hundred miles and from there astronauts will control robot rovers remotely and send them trundling over the lunar surface to pinpoint areas rich in water ice. Samples could even be sent back to the space station by unmanned spacecraft.

Scientists at Esa are already working with Canadian and Japanese space agencies to prepare a robot mission called Heracles, which would travel to the moon sometime in the next decade and which would use the Gateway as a halfway house to store lunar samples before being sent back to Earth. “It will be much easier to drive a robot rover from a height of only a few hundred miles above the moon than from the Earth which is 250,000 miles away,” says Anand. “It will take only a fraction of a second to send a signal and get a response. By contrast it would take several seconds if you are on Earth, making the control of a lunar rover much, much more difficult.”

European astronauts recently guided an automated rover on Earth using controls in the ISS – which orbits the Earth at roughly the same height that Gateway would orbit the moon. The technology is therefore already well tested, says Esa.

“The moon has lain virtually undisturbed for the last 4.5bn years,” says Parker. “It is a museum of the history of our solar system. And yes, we visited it when we briefly landed Apollo spacecraft there. However, that was the equivalent of going to a museum, heading straight to the gift shop and then leaving. It is the dusty corners of a museum where you find the really interesting stuff – and that is where we are going to go with Gateway.”

This point is backed by James Carpenter, a member of Esa’s lunar exploration team. “The major scientific impact of Gateway will undoubtedly come from the way it will open up access to the lunar surface,” he says. “However, there are many other areas of research that will benefit.

Apollo took astronauts into deep space but the missions lasted a few days. We are talking of spending months at Gateway

“We will be able to study the effects of radiation on human physiology; we will be able to collect dust particles that come from asteroids or comets or possibly objects outside our solar system. We will be able to study the interaction of the sun and the moon with Earth’s magnetosphere. Gateway would also be ideal for launching tiny CubeSat satellites and other devices that could open up exploration of the solar system.”

Carpenter says Esa recently held a workshop to gauge European scientists’ interest in joining Gateway. “Around 250 came along and since then we have received a substantial number of proposals for doing science on the station. There is tremendous enthusiasm in Europe for this project. It is a real opportunity to do the kinds of science that have not been possible before now.”

Astronomers are also keen to use Gateway as a platform for assembling deep-space observatories, in particular to study low-frequency radio waves that could give new insights into the early universe not long after its big bang birth 13.8bn years ago. These low-frequency waves are difficult to observe near Earth because of interference from human sources.

In addition, Gateway’s location will take it far outside Earth’s protective magnetic field and will leave astronauts exposed to far more intense radiation than is experienced on the ISS. This will provide key opportunities to study the long-term impact of radiation on humans in deep space. “We will ultimately translate that experience toward human missions to Mars,” says William Gerstenmaier, an associate administrator at Nasa headquarters in Washington.

This point is backed by Parker. “We have to learn to work for long periods of time up there. The Apollo missions took astronauts into deep space but they only lasted a few days. We are talking of spending months at Gateway in the end and if you want to go to Mars, you will need to spend years in deep space. So we have got to learn to live in our backyard – near the moon – before going on longer journeys.”

The critical point about the Gateway project is that it does not depend on new or untested technologies, says Carpenter. “A huge expertise was built up during the design and assembly of the International Space Station. We know the risks involved in building a space station and the technologies that will ensure that its construction will go smoothly. That makes us very confident that Gateway will happen and that it will work.”

One important question remains, however. If Europe does agree to join Nasa in Gateway and be involved in the exploration of the lunar surface, would a European astronaut – possibly a British one – get to fly to the moon in the near future? Parker is cautious. “That is something we would aim for but [it] will depend on negotiations with our international partners.”

In short, we may have to wait a bit longer to see a Brit heading to the moon.
an artists rendering of the orion spacecraft above earth

The key component of the project Gateway mission will be the Orion capsule now being built by space engineers. It is designed to take a crew of four people beyond Earth orbit and into deep space. Orion has two key components: first, a command module, to carry astronauts. This is being built by Lockheed Martin. The second component will beis Orion’s a service module which will provide power and propulsion for the main craft. It is being developed by the European Space Agency (Esa.

Orion’s first manned flight is scheduled to take place inby 2023. Once in operation, capsules will be blasted into space on the US’s new generation of high-powered rockets, the Space Launch System which is designed to send heavy payloads towards the moon and planets. SLS rockets will also transport the modules that will be assembled to form Gateway in lunar orbit. These will be based on the modules – such as Esa’s Columbus module – that hold stores, contain research equipment and provide sleeping accommodation for crew now working on the International Space Station.

Last week, Nasa announced that Gateway would be fitted with two modules to house astronauts, one to be provided by the United States and the other by Nasa’s international partners. Conditions will be cramped, nevertheless. As currently envisaged, Gateway will have 1,942 cubic feet of habitable volume, compared to the 13,696 cubic feet on the ISS.

“Gateway modules will also have to be much lighter than those on ISS because they will have to be blasted much further into space,” says Esa director David Parker. “In addition, the modules will be moved around in space using ion propulsion rockets rather than chemical rockets. The fuel consumption of ion engines is much lower than that of chemical rockets. Versions of ion engines with the kind of thrust we will need for Gateway have not yet been built but are under development and should be ready in plenty of time for the station’s construction.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018...xa-mars-mission

Legend
Legend
Will someone please explain when the Moon became part of Mars?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Nelson37
I realize the two of you could not find a clue if it was stapled to your foreheads, both of them, and you worked together, but NASA plans to reach Mars, have, for the last thirty years, involved using the moon for a staging base.

There are multiple clear and obvious reasons for doing this, can you name three?

We already got to Mars when John Glenn stepped on the moon.

I know you're about as bright as a 100 year old incandescent light bulb, but how are we going to set up a lunar base without going to the Moon?

Legend
Legend

Soon as I read his tweet I understood what he was saying.

Who really is the Moron? Can you name 10? rofl

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

I can show you 3 mormons.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Will someone please explain when the Moon became part of Mars?

He didn't mean that the moon was a part of Mars, He meant that with the budget NASA has that as far as space exploration NASA should be looking at doing more then just going to moon that they should be looking at sending/going to Mars also instead of just planning one thing.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Slept through English class.
6 years in a row.

Rule of thumb: Those who do not read should probably not write.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
M
Legend
Legend
M

I can name 40 ....

So you're position (deflection/spin/noise) is that despite not writing what he meant to say - and the grammar of his written word being below the level of a 4th grade child ... it's kewl coz u got it. Well that's alright then.

I guess this is like when you have to explain a joke to someone it means the joke just just ain't funny. When you have to explain what someone meant to say because they didn't say it clearly ....

Legend
Legend
What he said was clear to most.

But I guess like most things when seen through a bubble of hate, it has a completely different meaning.

M
Legend
Legend
M

No sir. That would be you coming up with fake news. Lies. Spin. Deflection.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+tru...me&ie=UTF-8

But I don't expect you to start being honest about what an incompetent, corrupt and terrible President the Drumpf is now ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thank God for Trump!

Trump/Pence 2020!

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Thank God for Trump!

Trump/Pence 2020!

why is superbrown posting messages talking about "hail satan"?

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

But I guess like most things when seen through a bubble of hate, it has a completely different meaning.

Your ‘bubble of hate’ rhetoric is inane.
What’s not to hate? The guy is the physical manifestation of everything my mother raised me NOT to be. He’s divinely hatable. He’s loathsome in both action and word. He’s poorly educated. He’s braggadocios. An ego maniac. Petty. A human snapshot of compassionless capitalism in a skin suit.
Of course he’s hated. I saw him as a snake in the 80’s. He’s done absolutely nothing to change that image since.
So yes. I view him through the lens of humanity. He’s bottom of that chart. He’s not earned my respect. Let alone adoration.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
^ this, right here ^

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
Thank God for Trump!

Trump/Pence 2020!

OK Swish, who is your angelic choice to lead the country?
AOC? Joe Biden? Crazy Bernie? Spartacus? Are you serious?? rofl

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Mayor Pete.

a combat vet like myself, unlike Trump.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
No, what is inane is calling the man who has accomplished all this in only 3 years, a moron.

Trump Administration Accomplishments

-Almost 4 million jobs created since election.

-More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history.

-We have created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since my election.

-Manufacturing jobs growing at the fastest rate in more than THREE DECADES.

-Economic growth last quarter hit 4.2 percent.

-New unemployment claims recently hit a 49-year low.

-Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded.

-African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.

-Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded.

-Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.

-Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years.

-Youth unemployment has recently hit the lowest rate in nearly half a century.

-Lowest unemployment rate ever recorded for Americans without a high school diploma.

-Under my Administration, veterans’ unemployment recently reached its lowest rate in nearly 20 years.

-Almost 3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps since the election.

-The Pledge to America’s Workers has resulted in employers committing to train more than 4 million Americans. We are committed to VOCATIONAL education.

-95 percent of U.S. manufacturers are optimistic about the future—the highest ever.

-Retail sales surged last month, up another 6 percent over last year.

-Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back in to the U.S. in the first quarter alone.

-As a result of our tax bill, small businesses will have the lowest top marginal tax rate in more than 80 years.

-Helped win U.S. bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.

-Helped win U.S.-Mexico-Canada’s united bid for 2026 World Cup.

-Opened ANWR and approved Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines.

-Record number of regulations eliminated.

-Enacted regulatory relief for community banks and credit unions.

-Obamacare individual mandate penalty GONE.

-My Administration is providing more affordable healthcare options for Americans through association health plans and short-term duration plans.

-Last month, the FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history. And thanks to our efforts, many drug companies are freezing or reversing planned price increases.

-We reformed the Medicare program to stop hospitals from overcharging low-income seniors on their drugs—saving seniors hundreds of millions of dollars this year alone.

-Signed Right-To-Try legislation.

-Secured $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic.

-We have reduced high-dose opioid prescriptions by 16 percent during my first year in office.

-Signed VA Choice Act and VA Accountability Act, expanded VA telehealth services, walk-in-clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care.

-Increased our coal exports by 60 percent; U.S. oil production recently reached all-time high.

-United States is a net natural gas exporter for the first time since 1957.

-Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord.

-Cancelled the illegal, anti-coal, so-called Clean Power Plan.

-Secured record $700 billion in military funding; $716 billion next year.

-NATO allies are spending $69 billion more on defense since 2016.

-Process has begun to make the Space Force the 6th branch of the Armed Forces.

-Confirmed more circuit court judges than any other new administration.

-Confirmed Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and nominated Judge Brett Kavanaugh.

-Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.

-Moved U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem.

-Protecting Americans from terrorists with the Travel Ban, upheld by Supreme Court.

-Issued Executive Order to keep open Guantanamo Bay.

-Concluded a historic U.S.-Mexico Trade Deal to replace NAFTA. And negotiations with Canada are underway as we speak.

-Reached a breakthrough agreement with the E.U. to increase U.S. exports.

-Imposed tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum to protect our national security.

-Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer, intellectual property theft, and their chronically abusive trade practices.

-Net exports are on track to increase by $59 billion this year.

-Improved vetting and screening for refugees, and switched focus to overseas resettlement.

-We have begun BUILDING THE WALL. Republicans want STRONG BORDERS and NO CRIME. Democrats want OPEN BORDERS which equals MASSIVE CRIME.

MAGA thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
If you are going to shill and be a lackey for Trump at least provide the source

https://www.whitehouse.gov/trump-administration-accomplishments/

Some of those "accomplishments" are highly suspect. Many are half truths.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Why would they use the Moon as a staging base?

It's a hostile environment that is not far from Earth.

That seems like an uphill battle so why would they do that?

Seems better to stage stuff on Earth.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
The Moon only has 1/6 the gravity of Earth.

You could assemble and launch everything you need from the moon. Oxygen, water, food, fuel etc..

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 06/08/19 02:30 PM.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
There are numerous reasons to stage from the Moon.

If you have no knowledge of these whatsoever, you can do some research on your own or you can remain blissfully ignorant.

As usual, your choice will be obvious.

You can also just continue to whine and complain about subjects you know nothing about.

For a brand-new experience, you might try this - find someone who DOES know what they are talking about, and shut up and pay attention.

Hey, it could happen.

Legend
Legend
Thank God for Trump!

Trump/Pence 2020!

OK Swish, who is your angelic choice to lead the country?
AOC? Joe Biden? Crazy Bernie? Spartacus? Are you serious?? rofl

If Spartacus could actually run for president? I might actually vote this time 'round. laugh (The TV show was great.)

P.S. Time for a nap.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Trump is too pathetic to hate. I don't even dislike him anymore. He's so ineffective as a leader, that he's practically not even leading, but he's dumber and more entertaining than any reality show on TV.

Trump might be the dumbest American to ever live.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
There are numerous reasons to stage from the Moon.

Oh...Oh... I know... Call on me...

There's almost certainly water at the lunar poles. (useful, very, very useful)
Humans are incredible at adapting to new environments. There is a lot to still be laearned about human long-term presence away from earth.
The lunar gravity is minuscule compared to earth - excellent for launching a distant mission.
Exploration is our destiny.
The earth is pretty from the moon.

"All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct." -- Carl Sagan

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Of course it sucks that over 80% of what the U.S. government spends is for social programs.

NASA is in that extremely thin green slice.

But by god the democrats will claim NASA is starving babies. (starving babies of well-fed single moms)(voting single moms)

O
Legend
Legend
O

If you have no knowledge of these whatsoever, you can do some research on your own or you can remain blissfully ignorant.

This personal attack addressed to Swish yet meant for Eve is courtesy of the guy who fails time after time to use the quick reply link... just saying.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

Your ‘bubble of hate’ rhetoric is inane.
What’s not to hate? The guy is the physical manifestation of everything my mother raised me NOT to be. He’s divinely hatable. He’s loathsome in both action and word. He’s poorly educated. He’s braggadocios. An ego maniac. Petty. A human snapshot of compassionless capitalism in a skin suit.
Of course he’s hated. I saw him as a snake in the 80’s. He’s done absolutely nothing to change that image since.
So yes. I view him through the lens of humanity. He’s bottom of that chart. He’s not earned my respect. Let alone adoration.

^^^ TRUTH BOMB ^^^

Golden.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/08/19 03:48 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Lmao

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg

But by god the democrats will claim NASA is starving babies. (starving babies of well-fed single moms)(voting single moms)

You invent stuff like that often? Maybe you have a future as a fiction writer?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
His pie chart is the real fiction lol

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I'm assuming that no one took the time to read the article about the Gateway project that I posted.

If you had taken the time, you could see how Trump got the part the moon being part of Mars. Of course, you would also note that Trump is still a moron because he wants to bypass that important project and head directly to Mars. Btw------he is also a moron because he cannot formulate a simple sentence. It's embarrassing.

Anyway, some of you should read that article. It's a pretty cool project that is trying to generate global interest in relaunching the space program.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mayor Pete.

a combat vet like myself, unlike Trump.

Are you a don't ask don't tell kinda guy?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I should have expounded on Trump's plan to forget about the moon and go directly to Mars. It's similar to a guy who wants to jump out of an airplane but doesn't take the time to learn how to operate his parachute of how to land. Or the mountain climber who doesn't know how to properly use his climbing tools and understand the importance of becoming acclimated to the altitude.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I read the article. It was news to me. However - I took Nelson at face value when he mentioned the same thing. But regardless of any plan to include the moon in any attempt to conquer Mars .... the tweet written by Trump is chronically, terribly written. It's certainly not set in stone that Trump meant that the Moon is part of the process of going to Mars ... but even if that's what he meant, it doesn't read that way and needs explanation.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree. I also went on to explain why his thoughts on the Moon and Mars still make him a moron.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump is a freaking Moron

Link Copied to Clipboard