Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Sashi was with the team from 13-16. Hue not as long.

Who had the better winning percentage during their tenure?

Asking for a friend...

Sashi was not great, or good. But he dang sure was better at his job than hue was/is and will ever be.

Legend
Legend
Does it really matter that one of them might have sucked a little less than the other? They both oversaw the worst record in NFL history. Good riddance to both!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
That would depend.

Did any of the self-proclaimed "great football minds" tell us that Sashi was good at his job, and berate anyone who questioned such a proclamation by declaring that they just wanted Sashi fired? Numerous, multiple times?

Did Hue accomplish anything at all worthwhile to the future of the team?

Did the team improve overnite when Sashi was fired?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
No doubt. He was never the GM. I have no doubt that once the team started to look attractive to quality GM candidates, like John Dorsey, we would have hired a GM and Sashi would go back in to his role, or possibly a role like Team President.

But he wasn't. He was tossed out on his ear. And nobody else has given him a job in the NFL either. He was the final decision maker like every other NFL GM. You can call a pig a cow but that rump roast is still going to taste like ham.

I understand that. The relationship between Sashi and Hue became toxic, leaving any other option behind.

Really? The option was to fire Hue, Sashi, or both. I wonder if that uber talented roster and QB room had anything to do with it?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You do know that's not what the claim of most is don't you? They say that Haslam took the side of Hue so he was not allowed to finish the job he was hired to do. Theories abound.

Or that's just what you're trying to put into people's mouths...

P
Legend
Legend
P
You know what they say about opinions don't you? Everybody has one. And not everyone shares yours. You can read the thread yourself to see that different people have different theories.

I mean he fired Sashi and kept Hue. You do the math.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You know what they say about opinions don't you? Everybody has one. And not everyone shares yours. You can read the thread yourself to see that different people have different theories.

I mean he fired Sashi and kept Hue. You do the math.

As long as you can do the math, we'll be ok.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I just did.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You're welcome.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yep. When given the choice Sashi was gone first. Still didn't get a second NFL job. Nothing to see here folks. The best he ever hopes to do in the NFL is as a team lawyer. Hue lasted longer than Sashi and they both sucked.

In case you still needed a lesson in basic addition.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And here I thought you could do math...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Says the man who can't figure out that Sashi was let go before Hue.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm convinced of one of two things. You are either intent on arguing just to argue, or the concepts within this thread are way over your head.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You mean contrived concepts. It's what people need to do in order to try and twist simple, basic facts to try and come up with something that in their own minds sounds like something they want to hear.

The facts are simple. The facts are easy to see. When push came to shove, Haslam felt they both sucked. But what he did know was this. Sashi was fielding and produced a crappy team. You will never get where you need to go with a crappy roster.

Hue hadn't been given a roster with the talent at any of the skilled positions to win. So the answer seems basic enough when you look at the facts rather than some of the spin people post on here.

Haslam saw that Sashi had done a crappy job at building a roster and Hue had never been given a roster to win with.

So he ditched Sashi and gave Hue a chance with a far better roster. Hue did poorly with that better roster so he was the next out the door.

Everything else is just spin.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
You mean contrived concepts. It's what people need to do in order to try and twist simple, basic facts to try and come up with something that in their own minds sounds like something they want to hear.

That's pretty much what you do with every post with your crazy strawmen arguments. You somehow keep claiming that people think Sashi was a great GM because he was able to build a great team, and then keep pointing out that the roster sucked.

The facts are these:
- Sashi wanted 4-5 years to fully execute a rebuild.
- The first phase was to take a few years to strip down and amass draft capital and cap space.
- The second phase was to use those two things to build a solid team.

From that standpoint, he did a great job in the first phase, and that's the ONLY thing people are giving him credit for. You can say all day long, "Well that's easy", but if it's so easy, then why can nobody do it? Part of it is that nobody has the patience to really stick to their guns and do a full rebuild. Most of the time, they'll strip the team down in a year, then try to quickly build it back up by the next year, squandering the draft picks and cap space in an attempt at a quick fix. Sashi didn't do that, so when Dorsey came into the picture, he was practically waking into a dream job for a GM. Two years before, and it's doubtful that a guy of Dorsey's caliber even considers the job, because the draft capital and cap situations were a complete mess. THAT is what people thank Sashi for.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yep, the crappiest roster in the NFL was all a part of the plan. Seriously?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I'm convinced of one of two things. You are either intent on arguing just to argue, or the concepts within this thread are way over your head.

Looks like it's the latter.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Still making excuses for ineptitude and trying to blame others for it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yep, the crappiest roster in the NFL was all a part of the plan. Seriously?

Not sure how many times we have to explain this concept to you. But check out teams like the 2011-2012 Cubs or Golden State before 2012. Or heck, the Cavs from 2010-2013 or Indians pre-1995 if you want local examples. The main goal is to amass draft capital and set up your team for 4-5 years down the road. It's not necessarily to make the crappiest roster possible, but it's also not about trying to throw in a quick fix that's going to net you one or two wins in a season where you aren't in a position to win much anyway.

The plan was to put the team in a position where they were loaded with draft picks, cap space and tradable assets, where in two to three years a GM could pull the trigger and quickly construct a team because they had all the means to do so. Everything else was secondary. By that metric, Sashi did pretty well. So when you keep throwing out strawmen about how crappy the roster was, how little we won, or who got fired first ... then you're missing the point.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Yep. When given the choice Sashi was gone first. Still didn't get a second NFL job. Nothing to see here folks. The best he ever hopes to do in the NFL is as a team lawyer. Hue lasted longer than Sashi and they both sucked.

In case you still needed a lesson in basic addition.

Why does it matter that Sashi was sent packing first?

Jimmy obviously had no idea what he was doing for the large majority of his ownership here, so saying that Jimmy fired Sashi first as evidence of anything is really kind of strange, and might even work against the very argument you are trying to make.

(I do appreciate that the Haslams do appear to have gotten it together and the team is firmly on the right track, but this has not always been the case!)

Truthfully, I think pride and contractual status were much bigger factors in keeping Clueless Hue around, even when it was completely obvious to most of us that he was in over his head. Remember that Jimmy overruled the front office, who wanted to hire Sean McDermott (who coached a team in tank mode to the playoffs in his first season.)

As far as contracts go, Hue's deal was never made public, but various reports suggested it to be a 5-6 year deal in the mold of what Kyle Shanahan got in San Francisco. I'm guessing Jimmy wasn't very enthused about buying that out after year 2.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Does it really matter that one of them might have sucked a little less than the other? They both oversaw the worst record in NFL history. Good riddance to both!

It's a fair point.

Hopefully once training camp and pre-season roll around, we can put all this stuff behind us. It's a bunch of silly arguing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's a Sashi Brown?

P
Legend
Legend
P
It really doesn't matter they were equally as bad. As long as people are willing to admit that. But they have nothing but more excuses as to why Sashi was better.

I mean their saying is, "Sashi died do that we could live". It makes him sound almost Christ like.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
edit: time to just let this one go

Last edited by Haus; 06/10/19 05:33 PM.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Looks like it's the latter.

Of course it's the latter.

My guess is 90% of the board sees it and doesn't say anything because it's somewhat entertaining. At least for me it is.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Haus

Maybe you're talking to the wrong people. A guy who was fired and sent packing because he had no clue what he was doing is somehow being heralded as far more than he ever was or will be and people really should let that go.

While they act like they have some superiority complex actually the opposite is pretty much true.

Sashi is gone because he sucked. According to some having the worst roster in the NFL was the goal. Yet they can't see how stupid that sounds.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Haus

Maybe you're talking to the wrong people. A guy who was fired and sent packing because he had no clue what he was doing is somehow being heralded as far more than he ever was or will be and people really should let that go.

While they act like they have some superiority complex actually the opposite is pretty much true.

Sashi is gone because he sucked. According to some having the worst roster in the NFL was the goal. Yet they can't see how stupid that sounds.
This is not at all what we have been saying, that is what you have twisted what we have been saying into. I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you, yet again. As for the air of superiority, that is all you.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
Having a firm grasp of the obvious doesn't doesn't take superiority.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

j/c

Quote:
That's pretty much what you do with every post with your crazy strawmen arguments.

Truer words have never been typed...

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
hmmm...I wonder if Sashi himself surprised when
he was shown the door?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Wah.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
hmmm...I wonder if Sashi himself surprised when
he was shown the door?

I doubt it. Sashi knew his time was limited. The Browns hadn't had a winning record since 2007 and only 2 winning seasons since their return in 1999 and with the constant Coaching and Front Office turnover plus the fact that the core of the roster at that time were either toward the ends of their careers or being paid and not producing Sashi and Jimmy knew that no proven quality GM was going to take the job so they came up with a plan to overhaul the team to make it attractive enough that they could hire a guy like Dorsey. Sashi knew that once the job became attractive enough that he would be replaced.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Hue Jackson got hired by a basketball team too — the Washington Generals.

Legend
Legend

Sashi Brown has another job — in another sport

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 22, 2019, 9:40 AM EDT
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/22/sashi-brown-has-another-job-in-another-sport/

The Browns thought they were being outside-the-box when they put Sashi Brown in charge of their football operation.

When it didn’t work, his next job came from outside the sport.

The NBA’s Washington Wizards announced this morning that Brown was hired as chief planning and operations officer He joins new General Manager Tommy Sheppard in the rebuilt front office for the Wizards — who have some Brown-ish tendencies in their own sport.

“We have formed a new leadership team with a forward-thinking structure to adapt to the ‘new NBA’ that requires every possible strategic advantage to compete and win,” Wizards chairman and CEO Ted Leonsis said in a statement that’s pumped as full of buzzwords as the Browns were in bad draft picks during Brown’s leadership. “We are building a leadership brain trust with deep Wizards/NBA experience and with sports professionals from inside and outside the NBA to challenge our thinking and adapt to an ever-increasing competitive environment.”

The team’s release said Brown would “manage efforts relating to technology, finance, communications, security, research and player engagement,” which means he’s not making basketball decisions.

Brown’s background is in law, and he worked as counsel for the Jaguars and Browns before being given the reins in one of Jimmy Haslam’s many shakeups.

And while you can’t put all the blame for his tenure in Cleveland on him (Hue Jackson was there too), another leadership role in football was probably unlikely.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
It will be interesting to see how he does without DePodesta.
If he can get someone aboard that can fill those shoes, then I'd say that you can maybe expect them to follow our path: suck for a couple of years and emerge positioned to make gigantic leaps.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Hue Jackson got hired by a basketball team too — the Washington Generals.
thumbsup rofl

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
But really ... if you want to tear a team down to the studs Sashi is the dude

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
But really ... if you want to tear a team down to the studs Sashi is the dude

Ya ... thats really tough to do ... took a real menZa to tear it down ... rolleyes

I’m part of the group that prefers VG to Kenny Britt and that would rather avoid trading for and then giving huge contracts to bums like Jamie Collins meanwhile letting guys like Schwartz walk ...

But that’s just me ...

to the sashiettes ... Congrats ... your boy got another job in sports ... shocked its not football seeing as how he did such a great job with us .... rofl rofl rofl rofl ...

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Sashi Brown: Discuss Here

Link Copied to Clipboard