Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Supreme Court rejects atheists' attempt to scrub 'In God We Trust' off US currency

The Supreme Court rejected an atheist case Monday to remove "In God We Trust," the national motto, from all coins and currency from the Department of Treasury.

Michael Newdow, the same activist attorney who tried to remove "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, lost his case, arguing Congress' mandate to inscribe "In God We Trust" on currency was a government endorsement of religion and a violation of the First Amendment.

Newdow argued in his petition to the Supreme Court that because his clients are all atheist individuals or atheist groups, the government violated their "sincere religious belief" that there is no God and turned them into "political outsiders" by placing the phrase "In God We Trust" on their money.

Newdow also tried to silence prayer and any religious references at the inaugurations of President George W. Bush and President Barack Obama.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-money-atheists-god

thumbsup

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Step by Step by Step....

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
When Newdow isn't practicing constitutional law.

Legend
Legend
So if atheism is a "sincere religious belief", then a systematic rejection of public mentions of God would also be a religious expression, and as such should violate the Constitution.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
So if atheism is a "sincere religious belief", then a systematic rejection of public mentions of God would also be a religious expression, and as such should violate the Constitution.

Keep in touch bud, Trump may be looking for another Supreme Court Justice down the road. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Well, if that is a sincere religious belief, then it should carry no more, and no less Constitutional weight than any other religious expression.

I am not sure how that plays out in the court now, because there is no "non religious" expression, and if no expression is actually a religious expression, then I have no idea how they handle it.

I think I would kick it back to the local, state, and federal authorities.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

O
Legend
Legend
O
As an atheist, IMHO this is a non-story being blown into your butts. Most atheist I know couldn't care less about "In God We Trust" being on our money.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/10/19 07:59 PM.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Good job Obama thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They don't have to use cash. Many native tribes refuse to deal with $20s, so why should these guys be special? If you don't like cash, don't use it. You have other options.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
As an atheist, IMHO this is a non-story being blown into your butts. Most atheist I know couldn't care less about "In God We Trust" being on our money.

That's good cuz you just lost, again. thumbsup

O
Legend
Legend
O

You just don't get it. Atheism is the absence of religious belief.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Interesting angle.

Legend
Legend

I just quoted what the lawyer for the atheists stated in his argument.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Oops, sorry.

Legend
Legend

Oops, sorry.

No problem.

I just found it amazing to finally find a lawyer for an atheist/group who would admit the truth, that rejection of God is a religious expression.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Oops, sorry.

No problem.

I just found it amazing to finally find a lawyer for an atheist/group who would admit the truth, that rejection of God is a religious expression.

Ummm, no it's not. I don't 'reject God', I never considered God as factual, how could I reject something I don't believe exists in the first place? It's not even really a choice for me because I never believed there was a God. I did question myself as I witnessed others who believed. I did struggle with rather to believe or not to believe. I did participate in and learn about various religions due to my inner struggle with trying to sort out what I did believe. But never once did I think of God as a literal divine entity.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/10/19 09:27 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Newdow argued in his petition to the Supreme Court that because his clients are all atheist individuals or atheist groups, the government violated their "sincere religious belief" that there is no God

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

Newdow argued in his petition to the Supreme Court that because his clients are all atheist individuals or atheist groups, the government violated their "sincere religious belief" that there is no God

IMHO that is a flawed argument from jump.

Legend
Legend
I don't believe in Santa Claus. I don't get upset, and/or see him as an affront to my beliefs when he is plastered all over the place around Christmas time.

I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, and, in fact, I don't like the fact that attention to the Easter Bunny has a way of blocking out the importance of Easter to a Christian.

However, I am not going to court to sue for the removal of these characters.

If all God is to an atheist is Santa, or the Easter Bunny, or another imaginary character, then why get upset over public mentions of Him?

I think that a lot of atheists doth protest too much, because if God didn't exist, and didn't matter, then neither would public mention of His name.

Just my $0.02 worth.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't. That was my point when I said:

Legend
Legend
I don't. That was my point when I said:

But many do reject the idea of any public expression of a (especially a Christian) religious belief.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think that's less about atheism and more about religion in politics.

Legend
Legend
‘In god we trust” wasn’t added to US currency until 1956. Wasn’t intended to be there by our for fathers but whatever. Some need this representation as a security blanket. So be it. Doesn’t effect me one way or the other.

Actually after thinking about it does effect me slightly. I collect coins. The coins I have without “in god we trust” are usually worth much more than those that have it. Just a fact, that they’re older, rare, and have more silver or copper in them.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 06/11/19 10:02 AM.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we should drive religious zealotry from our politics. A few stake burnings should suffice. Obviously I only say this because the alt-right and Trumpian political base closely resemble the american version of the taliban with a big ole dash of fascism and white supremacy to top it off.

Prove me wrong.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/11/19 12:24 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't believe in Santa Claus. I don't get upset, and/or see him as an affront to my beliefs when he is plastered all over the place around Christmas time.

I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, and, in fact, I don't like the fact that attention to the Easter Bunny has a way of blocking out the importance of Easter to a Christian.

That's really no surprise. Christians have always made excuses why it's okay to lie to their kids about pagan customs that have been incorporated in what are supposed to be Christian holidays.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Keep up OCD, this is what we do. We take very small, relatively insignificant stories, we give them life, and we use them to perpetuate that things are much bigger than they seem.

I understand that 99% of athiests don't care if God is referenced on government buildings or on the money..

As exhibit B, 3 guys in Boston filing for a permit to have a straight pride parade.. that 99% of straight people don't care about... seems to be all social media can talk about these days..

In other news, Kylie Jenner hosted a "A Handmaid's Tale" themed party in which a bunch of beautiful wealthy women thought it would be fun to dress in the red and white of women who were forced into sexual servitude and conceive children at their masters wishes and drink and dance the night away in joyous merriment....... seems like a fun theme for a party.

What other molehills can we turn into mountains?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am ok with it.

Just as long as they don't substitute Jesus for God.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
What other molehills can we turn into mountains?

From the looks of a lot of us old fat guys I'm gonna have to say our boobs.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Step by Step by Step....

Step by step trump is systematically removing lady liberty from all of our lives.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

That's really no surprise. Christians have always made excuses why it's okay to lie to their kids about pagan customs that have been incorporated in what are supposed to be Christian holidays.

That's how Christians got the pagans to convert. They absorbed pagan holidays.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Actually, Christians were so brutally oppressed in the earlier days of Christianity that they celebrated the birth and resurrection of Christ during pagan holidays so that these celebrations would go largely unnoticed. They could gather together without causing any undue notice.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

I think there's a big difference between converting people and joining in with their pagan traditions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Pit has always been confused on this issue. He is against Christmas trees and such but the arrival of Jesus changed the belief one had to be Jewish to become a Christian.

Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, "This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent."

That is what is important.

The well-known story of Peter's vision of being invited to kill and eat "unclean" animals comes just before an obvious parallel, where "uncircumcised" men are baptised.

The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.” ...

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Then Peter answered, “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.

Circumcision was no longer necessary.
Kosher foods were no longer necessary.
Christmas trees and many other Gentile things were of no concern.

Spreading the Word that Jesus is the Christ became paramount.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, following pagan customs is the Christian thing to do. lmao

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Atheists cry foul after 18 high school football players get baptized on field

"We request that the district investigate and take the appropriate steps to ensure there will be no further illegal religious events, including team baptisms, during school-sponsored activities," wrote Christopher Line, a FFRF legal fellow. "Coaches and school staff should be instructed that they can neither organize nor participate in religious activities with students while acting in their official capacity."

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values/alabama-football-players-baptized-atheists

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well they're discriminating against Christians because they won't let them baptize people at school. Shame on them! They should always be allowed to use public schools as a place to follow religious customs. I mean everyone who goes to school is a Christian. They should be able to use the football field to lay down their prayers rugs and pray for the Muslim students too, right?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Again, most atheist couldn't care less about what Christians do amongst themselves. More clickbait troll food from Fox.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Shame on them! They should always be allowed to use public schools as a place to follow religious customs. I mean everyone who goes to school is a Christian.

They weren't forcing anybody else to get baptized, they weren't forcing anybody else to watch.. tone down the drama just a bit.

As is typical in this type of case... one lonely person had a problem with it..

Meanwhile, a transgender is suing the baker in Colorado who has been sued twice before... because he, again, refused to bake a cake for a transition celebration based on religious reasons.. I'm sure the transgender person sought out this baker to further their point, that they don't just want acceptance, they want to break anybody who disagrees with their choices.

Quote:
They should be able to use the football field to lay down their prayers rugs and pray for the Muslim students too, right?

Nobody should be made to pray FOR anybody else.. but Muslim students are already allowed to pray in school as long as it is not disruptive to other students.. School sponsored prayer is out of bounds... was this baptism school sponsored just because the coach was there?

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I’m all for high school kids expressing an interest in religion. And getting baptized is fine.

Getting baptized on the field as a group sounds really hokey.

Very contrived. ("we'll be on the news")

I wonder what’s going on there behind the scenes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Supreme Court rejects atheists' attempt to scrub 'In God We Trust' off US currency

Link Copied to Clipboard