Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Oregon Republicans go missing to avoid climate change vote; governor sends police to find them
BY TRE'VAUGHN HOWARD

JUNE 20, 2019 / 10:33 PM / CBS NEWS

Republicans in Oregon's state government have gone missing — and the governor is sending police to go find them. Gov. Kate Brown dispatched Oregon State Police to search for 11 Senate Republicans who walked off the job to avoid a vote for a climate change bill. Their whereabouts are unknown.

"The Senate Republicans have decided to abandon their duty to serve their constituents and walk out," Brown said in a statement.

Officers can arrest the lawmakers if they refuse to willfully return, CBS Portland affiliate KOIN-TV reports. The Republicans will each be fined $500 a day if they don't return to work by 11 a.m. Friday.

"I am authorizing the State Police to fulfill the Senate Democrats' request," Brown said. "It is absolutely unacceptable that the Senate Republicans would turn their backs on their constituents who they are honor-bound to represent here in this building. They need to return and do the jobs they were elected to do."

The bill would make Oregon the second state to have a comprehensive cap-and-invest strategy for combating climate change. The bill has faced opposition from Republicans, as well as loggers and truckers, who say it would cut jobs in the logging industry and increase fuel prices. Hundreds of truckers and loggers protested the bill at the state Capitol. Supporters of the bill hope to reduce emissions over time and move businesses away from fossil fuels.

The Oregon Senate Republicans Twitter account posted a quote from Brown in 2001, when she was Senate Democratic leader, supporting a walkout by Democrats over a Republican legislative redistricting bill. "Well here we are, Senate Rs fighting for Oregonians," the tweet read.

This is the second time in two months that Oregon's Senate Republican walked out in protest. After a four-day walkout in May, Brown made a deal with the GOP over a school funding tax package. Republicans made a trade off with the governor and promised not to walk out again.

"This is a sad day for Oregon," Republican Sen. Herman Baertschiger tweeted. "There is no fine that could ever amount to the FEAR democrats have put on Oregonians over the #hb2020 legislation that will destroy livelihoods of many in our state."

First published on June 20, 2019 / 10:33 PM

Link

Dear Republicans, you are not doing your job by running away. The bill was written, it was debated, it was negotiated... you had your chance, you lost, so vote. That's the way the process works. Vote no and walk away knowing you did your best to represent your constituents but it wasn't enough.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
SMH boo

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure I heard a story about 18 mo/2 yrs ago wherein Dems from some state did the same thing. Can't remember the state or the issue for vote, but dudes all left the state to avoid casting a losing vote. GOPz started a manhunt.... it was a mess.

Cowardice all around.
Take your L and regroup.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
thats pathetic.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
83 Environmental Rules Being Rolled Back Under Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/climate/trump-environment-rollbacks.html

I don't believe anyone really expects them to stand up against Trump.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
I'm pretty sure I heard a story about 18 mo/2 yrs ago wherein Dems from some state did the same thing. Can't remember the state or the issue for vote, but dudes all left the state to avoid casting a losing vote. GOPz started a manhunt.... it was a mess.

Cowardice all around.
Take your L and regroup.

Clem, it was in Wisconsin 2011.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-...1cc4c03286.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Republican party has been been denying, providing false information, and running from this issue for decades. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

We can’t buy back biodiversity with your oil money. Yet, many of you will vote Ronald Rump again. You don’t care yet, you soon will, at the very least your children will.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sticking their heads in the sand. Sound strategy.

Legend
Legend
I’m utterly astounded, and shocked.

Moving on.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good for them...screw the green vote.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
thats pathetic.

I know you love Obama. Check how many times he missed votes in the Senate.

Legend
Legend
I'm all for states rights. Let them have what they voted on. It's a good chance to see if green will work or black their eye.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Good for them...screw the green vote.

Legend
Legend
yep.

That's exactly the story I was remembering.

Damn.

I thought that I'd heard this story just a scant 2-3 years ago.
In point of fact, this story actually came from 2011... a full year before POTUS44 began his 2nd term.

8 FREAKKING YEARS AGO.

We have learned nothing... as yet another decade of the 21st c. cements itself into Our History Books.

This #kaka makes me so sad about us.
We should be farther down the road than this.

just sayin'

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Science is going to take a flame thrower to the Republican ideology.

Just a heads up

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
yep.

That's exactly the story I was remembering.

Damn.

I thought that I'd heard this story just a scant 2-3 years ago.
In point of fact, this story actually came from 2011... a full year before POTUS44 began his 2nd term.

8 FREAKKING YEARS AGO.

We have learned nothing... as yet another decade of the 21st c. cements itself into Our History Books.

This #kaka makes me so sad about us.
We should be farther down the road than this.

just sayin'

Looks to me like we did learn something. We learned to throw a tantrum.

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Nero fiddling.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Oregon Senate closes due to ‘possible militia threat’ after Republican walkout

By Adam Shaw |

Fox News

The Oregon state Senate closed Saturday after a “possible militia threat” from a right-wing group -- amid a broader drama over a walkout by Republican lawmakers over looming climate change legislation.

RIght-wing groups posted their support for the 12 rebel Republicans on Friday, including one group -- the Oregon Three Percenters -- who joined in an armed takeover of a wildlife refuge in 2016.

On Friday, a spokeswoman for Senate President Peter Courtney told The Associated Press that the Oregon state police “recommended that the Capitol be closed tomorrow due to a possible militia threat.”

Oregon State Police, in a statement, said it has been "monitoring information throughout the day that indicates the safety of legislators, staff and citizen visitors could be compromised if certain threatened behaviors were realized."

The dramatic scenes came after the Republicans had not only skipped the legislature, but some had even left the state as part of an effort to deny Democrats the votes to take up the bill to reduce fossil fuel emissions by 2050. Democrats hold a 18-12 majority, but they need 20 present for a quorum.

Republicans and anti-government groups were planning on protesting on Saturday before the closing of the Senate was announced. The Democrats had upped the ante this week when Gov. Kate Brown authorized the Oregon State Police to track down the rogue members and bring them back to the chamber.

“It is absolutely unacceptable that the Senate Republicans would turn their back on their constituents who they are honor-bound to represent here in this building,” she said in a statement, according to KOIN 6. “They need to return and do the jobs they were elected to do.”

Republicans soon fired back.

“Protesting cap-and-trade by walking out today represents our constituency and exactly how we should be doing our job,” Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger Jr., of Grants Pass, said in a statement Thursday. “We have endured threats of arrest, fines and pulling community project funds from the governor, Senate president and majority leader. We will not stand by and be bullied by the majority party any longer."

Republican Sen. Brian Boquist responded by telling state police to “send bachelors and come heavily armed” if they come and get him.

The bill would limit greenhouse gas emissions and auction pollution allowances for carbon that businesses want to emit, with a lowering cap. The bill would reduce emissions to 45 percent below 1990 levels by 2035 and 80 percent by 2050.

Opponents say it would hurt businesses and exacerbate a divide between the liberal, urban areas and rural parts of the state. Oregon would be the second state after California to adopt such a policy, while nine northeastern states have limited versions of so-called cap-and-trade programs.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Ah, so it was a right wing domestic terrorist group stopping a vote to help protect the environment. They must be Muslims.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
People are like a spring.
The harder you push them down,
the harder they will come back at you.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

People are like a virus to the earth. When we make it sick enough it gets a fever and burns us out. Our ‘viral load’ is getting high. Since you and yours don’t seem to care... hope you like the heat.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
We should never speak out against or defend ourselves from domestic terrorism. At least that's what Timothy McVeigh said.

Let's not pretend this is something new.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Enter the jack booted thugs... history repeating itself.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

People are like a virus to the earth. When we make it sick enough it gets a fever and burns us out. Our ‘viral load’ is getting high. Since you and yours don’t seem to care... hope you like the heat.

I hear tell it's pretty damn hot where he's going eventually anyway.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

Extract from Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith
Paris Nov. 13. 1787.

the people can not be all, & always, well informed. the part which is wrong [. . .] will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. if they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. we have had 13. states independant 11. years. there has been one rebellion. that comes to one rebellion in a century & a half for each state. what country before ever existed a century & half without a rebellion? & what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms. the remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. what signify a few lives lost in a century or two? the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it’s natural manure.
-----------------------------

You see, Jefferson understood that freedom was not free. People would have to be constantly vigilant in order to make sure their rights would not be taken away by power hungry leaders. They would, invariably, try. Therefore, in order for “the tree of liberty” to continue to thrive, and not slowly die because its strength was taken for granted, patriots had to be ready to defend the tree and fight the tyrants that would love to see it wither.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Where is Thomas Jefferson's writings on climate change?

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Where is Thomas Jefferson's writings on climate change?

Don't know.

Should he have written about the ice ages? Or Greenland being called that? Or the Sahara desert?

P
Legend
Legend
P
What one shouldn't be doing is trying to determine what a forefather of our nation would think about issues today that they would have no idea were coming. You bring up other topics that fit as well.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
So why did you even ask the question of what he wrote about climate change?

You are trying to convolute 2 different issues, in a failed attempt to think you made a point.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No, I'm saying that 40 trying to use a quote from Thomas Jefferson in a thread about climate change isn't making a point.

I know you got a stiffy over me because of recent events but you really need to move on. It's not my issue.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Nah man, the only thing I think about you is "don't have a discussion with someone that doesn't want to discuss, and has nothing in life to do but get on here and.........."

Plus, go back 10? 15 years? You griping about Bush and his oil buddies and why the price of gas was so high, and me pointing out how damn wrong you were that Bush was at fault. You've not cared for me since. Now, please go on with your bad self.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I'm not going to participate in the peeing match, but I think it's important to be responsible in regards to climate change.

Money is nice to pass down to our heirs, but I think that being able to breathe is more important.

O
Legend
Legend
O
So I seen that the Governor sent state police to round up the missing GOPers, even after threats that it would lead to bloodshed. Imagine the outrage on the right if democrats had promised bloodshed for being made to do their jobs...

And dems won the supermajority there, so if any two GOPers show up they can pass laws without a single republican vote... Yet nobody is saying elections have consequences... lmao

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/23/19 10:51 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc

The biggest issue with this approach is that the minority party now rules the state of Oregon. Without quorum, no laws can be voted on in the senate. This is very bad as it means that Oregon can't enact any legislation. Hopefully oregon voters vote out at least 2 of the senators who ran away.

Filibusters in the US senate break our federal government the same way. The use of filibusters in the US Senate was nonexistent until 50 years ago. The fact that you need 60 votes to bring a vote on a piece of legislation is ludicrous.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I've had this problem with all politicians. They have a job to do, they must do it. Running away doesn't get it done.

Simple as that.

I think it's more that they don't want to be seen voting against Trump and the Republican party line. Time to step up and do your job.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
I'm all for states rights. Let them have what they voted on. It's a good chance to see if green will work or black their eye.

Totally agree with this. And a state that pollutes the water or air that flows into nearby states will eventually be sued for large amounts of cash for doing so. Taxes in the polluting states will go up bigly and people will move on to live and work in the cleaner states. Problem solved.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: gage
jc

The biggest issue with this approach is that the minority party now rules the state of Oregon. Without quorum, no laws can be voted on in the senate. This is very bad as it means that Oregon can't enact any legislation. Hopefully oregon voters vote out at least 2 of the senators who ran away.

Filibusters in the US senate break our federal government the same way. The use of filibusters in the US Senate was nonexistent until 50 years ago. The fact that you need 60 votes to bring a vote on a piece of legislation is ludicrous.

Lol Oregon politics. I remember their answer to the grounded oil tanker on the coast in 1998 was to blow it up and let it burn on the beach . Pffft.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
You have to reach back 12 to 15 years ago to pull out a win. That speaks volumes. I debate more topics on here than you even understand. And it shows. "Illegals don't apply for asylum! Do you think they're filling out paperwork?" And that was just yesterday.

rofl

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Nah man, the only thing I think about you is "don't have a discussion with someone that doesn't want to discuss, and has nothing in life to do but get on here and.........."

Plus, go back 10? 15 years? You griping about Bush and his oil buddies and why the price of gas was so high, and me pointing out how damn wrong you were that Bush was at fault. You've not cared for me since. Now, please go on with your bad self.

10-15 years, that cant be right, because 10-15 years ago we were supposed to underwater today right?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, Miami isn't getting flooded because sea levels are rising. It's all some conspiracy....

Miami is racing against time to keep up with sea-level rise

https://www.businessinsider.com/miami-floods-sea-level-rise-solutions-2018-4

Sticking your fingers in your ears and going, "la, la, la" isn't going to help you.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Oregon Republicans go missing to avoid climate change vote

Link Copied to Clipboard