Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Mensa #163819 09/11/07 12:59 PM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
MENSA...

if only Mr. Lerner read the boards, he'd see your QB rating posts and recognize your exceptional ability to build a team and manage the salary cap...

if you want to make a legit complaint that Savage made a mistake, do it...Savage has made a good reputation around the league in the talent eval dept, so proclaiming he's clueless speaks more about your intelligence than his...

Browns fans are born with it...
dnadawg #163820 09/11/07 01:01 PM
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Guys, the trade partner is confirmed. You can stop bickering now. He's a Seahawk and no longer our concern

[Linked Image from damontech.net]
dnadawg #163821 09/11/07 01:02 PM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Seahawks | Team acquires Frye
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:58:54 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Seattle Seahawks have acquired QB Charlie Frye from the Cleveland Browns. Terms of the deal are not yet known.

per kffl

dnadawg #163822 09/11/07 01:04 PM
Rookie
Rookie

dnadawg #163823 09/11/07 01:04 PM
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

MENSA...

if only Mr. Lerner read the boards, he'd see your QB rating posts and recognize your exceptional ability to build a team and manage the salary cap...

if you want to make a legit complaint that Savage made a mistake, do it...Savage has made a good reputation around the league in the talent eval dept, so proclaiming he's clueless speaks more about your intelligence than his...

Which Pro-Bowl players has Savage drafted?

Savage drafted Frye
Savage brought in DA
Savage traded for Dorsey

Don't blame me for the QB's we have. Savage brought them all in.

Savage brought in FB Droughns to play RB
Savage brought in over the hill Lewis
Savage brought in Wright
Savage brought in Harrison

Don't blame me for the RB's we have. Savage brought them all in too.

Savage drafted Pool
Savage let Russell go

Don't blame me for our saftey that isn't very good. Savage made those moves too.

aldamon #163824 09/11/07 01:05 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
That's funny...we will be arguing about this for years.

However, you are correct.

aldamon #163825 09/11/07 01:05 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Guys, the trade partner is confirmed. You can stop bickering now. He's a Seahawk and no longer our concern

At least his parents will get to see him in CBS again this season.

I do feel bad for them being Browns fans all this time, to have it end like this.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Beerdowner #163826 09/11/07 01:05 PM
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
Here is one of my theories on why the trade came so soon.

For those that watched the Romeo press conference he referred to the rule that if a 3rd string Q.B. goes into the game he can not come out for one of the two Q.B's ahead of him. By getting rid of Frye this will presumably move Quinn to number 2 on the depth chart. This way if DA starts struggling it would allow Romeo to insert Brady into the game while still leaving the door open for a return to DA or possibly Dorsey.

Just a thought.

[Linked Image from img339.imageshack.us]
Eric "Easy E" Wright and KW2- Bringing the attitude back to Browns football
dnadawg #163827 09/11/07 01:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Seattle now ... three partners in one day! Craziness.

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping on the front office. This is actually a pretty good move from them. We got trade compensation for a guy that was going to go nowhere, and was emotionally checked out for the team. We apparently had at leat 3 teams interested in him, we drummed up the trade interest, set a 4pm deadline and actually got something for him! That's a good move from the front office.

And I agree with Diam in that I think the original plan all along was to try and trade either DA or Frye and use the other one as a punching bag for a few weeks until Quinn was ready. When nobody took the bait, they cut Dorsey, knowing nobody would pick him up for his athletic talents and that he likely would still be on the free agent list come a week or two later. The hope was somebody would lose a QB, and offer a panic trade for DA or Frye ... looks like that plan worked out.

The problem is that phase two of the plan isn't working. Both DA and Frye looked like bums against Pittsburgh and people want to put Quinn in now. I'm not sure this is a bumbling move by the front office or even the coaching staff. I think this was the plan all along as they wanted trade compensation for Frye or Anderson, and the one remaining would be the backup anyway.

Beerdowner #163828 09/11/07 01:11 PM
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
When I was watching the game on Sunday and they pulled Frye, I started to think pretty deeply about all this, and I think that today's events confirm what I was thinking. It seemed odd to pull Frye that quickly. It proved to me that the staff either

A) didn't feel that strongly about Frye over DA (why would you risk the damage to Charlie's ego by pulling him that quick if you had him pencilled as your starter for the season? - leave him in to try to fight through it and restore his confidence)

B) Knew that Quinn was coming along quickly and you basically are unconcerned about the competition between Frye and DA because whichever one you put in is keeping the seat warm for a game or two before you install Brady.

I would venture a guess that trade offers were floating before Sunday's game on both players, and it was a matter of lining up the trade partner and specific player desired by that partner. Today they might have tried to up the offer by introducing some other potential partners to the mix and that is how it got to the media.

I just have trouble believing that the FO and Crennel are so clueless that they are knee-jerking like this. I am guessing it just looks that way since this is the first the media has caught wind to definite plans. I am not saying the FO and Crennel are brilliant or anything, I just don't believe they are this stupid. Today's events lead me to believe that Brady was coming sooner than many of us thought, and the coaches and FO just wanted to use the other QBs to break in the team in the opener against a team who has always given our OL and QB headaches.

I just think there is more than meets the eye here. It seems like the smokescreen type stuff we have come to expect from Savage and Co.

Last edited by Jamey; 09/11/07 01:13 PM.
Mensa #163829 09/11/07 01:11 PM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
MENSA...

dude, you're out of it...

never mentioned a ProBowl, which is a popularity thing anyway...for every poor player you mention, i can name a good pickup, and then some...

let me spell it out for you, and i'll t y p e s l o w l y so you can understand...Savage is not clueless...he has made mistakes, and you're free to discuss them as you will...trying to put one decision on the overall ability of the GM makes you look silly...

ExclDawg #163830 09/11/07 01:12 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

three partners in one day!

People may start calling us the Shawn Kemp of the NFL!

In all seriousness, I wish Frye the best of luck. I really liked the kid and always rooted for him. He just didn't have what it took to fit here. All the best.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
WSU Willie #163831 09/11/07 01:12 PM
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

That's funny...we will be arguing about this for years.

However, you are correct.

I wonder if they Frye-cult exodus will be as big as the Couch-cult exodus?

ExclDawg #163832 09/11/07 01:13 PM
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

I think this was the plan all along as they wanted trade compensation for Frye or Anderson.

They were going to cut Frye if he wasn't traded by 4:00 PM today. That's not a very good plan.

If they wanted Dorsey and not Frye they could have made that decision on draft day when JAX tried to trade for Frye.

This organization is being run by a bunch of people that flip coins and don't know what they are doing.

Mensa #163833 09/11/07 01:15 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

*LOL* ... go become a SeaHag fan ...... maybe theres LOSERS over there that will enjoy your STATS ....

Mensa #163834 09/11/07 01:15 PM
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Fox now says we got a 6th rounder for him.

dnadawg #163835 09/11/07 01:16 PM
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Savage is not clueless...

If he couldn't find a trade partner he would have had to cut Frye at 4:00 PM today. Gotten nothing for him.

He had the opportunity to trade Frye on draft day. Instead he wasted all preseason giving Frye reps. Smooth Savage, smooth.

Face it, Savage doesn't know what he's doing. Oz ran the show in BAL.

KashDawg #163836 09/11/07 01:16 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

One thing is for sure: our FO looks like a bunch of buffoons right now, and I've ALWAYS defended them.

I think "buffoons" may be putting it lightly. This is a flat out embarrasment.

Unreal. I simply cannot fathom how you can deem a quarterback starting material and then after ONE AND A HALF QUARTERS trying to get him off your roster, let alone trying to deal BOTH QUARTERBACKS. Knee jerk reactions like this are why we're regarded as a joke around the league.

I'm speechless. Brady - I sure as hell hope you're ready.

We're... we're good?
dnadawg #163837 09/11/07 01:17 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Very shocking moves today. This was their plan all along I suppose, there's no way this could just be a knee jerk reaction... Good move by the FO, at least we got something for him. What do you think it is?

Best of luck to Chuck, he's been nothing but professional since he's been here.

I want the Cleveland Browns to be my pallbearers so they can let me down for the last time.
Mensa #163838 09/11/07 01:17 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

They were going to cut Frye if he wasn't traded by 4:00 PM today. That's not a very good plan.

No, it's a brilliant plan. Just because he's cut, doesn't mean you'll get him. He has to clear waivers, and if you don't have a good waiver position, you might not get the guy. By setting a 4:00pm deadline, you're forcing other teams into rushing a trade decision.

Quote:

If they wanted Dorsey and not Frye they could have made that decision on draft day when JAX tried to trade for Frye.

You keep saying this. Where was this trade scenerio stated, I've never seen it? What was JAX offering? Maybe we ended up getting a better deal today?

ExclDawg #163839 09/11/07 01:18 PM
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

What was JAX offering? Maybe we ended up getting a better deal today?

We got a 6th for Charlie from Seattle. Maybe Mensa can confirm if JAX's offer was better?

ExclDawg #163840 09/11/07 01:19 PM
C
Poser
Poser
C
Savage, IIRC, said something about Jax making a trade offer, but it wasn't enough. I do remember it at draft time.

I think this is a good situation for Frye. He goes somewhere where he can sit and learn, develop physically, have a mentor in Hasselback, and if and when he plays, a good pool of talent around him.

ExclDawg #163841 09/11/07 01:19 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Excel,
The reason I think its a stupid move is because they have waited UNTIL THE SEASON opener to figure out they do not have starting QBs!! You gotta be kidding me!! ALL the camps..etc, and now they figure out that CF and DA are not the answer!! That is just foolish! If they make this move in the beginning of training camp, OK, but after you named him the starter, then you trade him, that is the dumbest thing since the Paul Warfield trade!!! The Browns waisted an entire off season with these two and did not get them up to speed. Hell, they should call B.Leftwich because there is no way BQ, who has only been in camp 3 weeks is going to help.

aldamon #163842 09/11/07 01:20 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

We got a 6th for Charlie from Seattle. Maybe Mensa can confirm if JAX's offer was better?

He can't confirm anything, but I am sure he will make something up.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
CoachB #163843 09/11/07 01:23 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I, too, think it will be good for Charlie. But I also have to agree that this move makes us look like idiots. I cannot fathom how anyone can spin this to make our FO and HC look like anything but clowns. Dumbasses.

Good Luck, Charlie.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Here is one of my theories on why the trade came so soon.

For those that watched the Romeo press conference he referred to the rule that if a 3rd string Q.B. goes into the game he can not come out for one of the two Q.B's ahead of him. By getting rid of Frye this will presumably move Quinn to number 2 on the depth chart. This way if DA starts struggling it would allow Romeo to insert Brady into the game while still leaving the door open for a return to DA or possibly Dorsey.

Just a thought.

I don't see this as a move to get Quinn closer to the starters spot, they could do that without trading Frye. I think Frye quit on the team and the FO and coaches know it. He saw Quinn and knew his days were numbered....so he quit.

I can only guess that they pulled him from the game for running the wrong plays or refusing to throw. Something had to be very wrong with his attitude to bench the QB that quickly (and be traded within two days).

Frye gave up....so he's gone.

I'm not mad the Browns did this, because I think it had to be done, but why did they not see it prior to Sunday.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
crazyotto55 #163845 09/11/07 01:25 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Best of luck to Charlie. I'll still be rooting for him to succeed.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
crazyotto55 #163846 09/11/07 01:25 PM
C
Poser
Poser
C
Well, with all the things coming out of Berea, who knows. I have heard that there is "no way" BQ starts Sunday. I have heard that DA starts, Dorsey starts, and all sorts of things. I would love to know what's going on, but can't imagine how this will not look bad. Diam gave a pretty good response that is probably even close to what happened. That still doesn't mean it will go over well in the media or public perception.

aldamon #163847 09/11/07 01:26 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY,....and when was the offer made? before the Quinn selection?

DogNDC #163848 09/11/07 01:28 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The reason I think its a stupid move is because they have waited UNTIL THE SEASON opener to figure out they do not have starting QBs!! You gotta be kidding me!! ALL the camps..etc, and now they figure out that CF and DA are not the answer!! That is just foolish!

C'mon dog, you don't really believe that do you? They have known for MONTHS that Frye and Anderson are not the answer... the problem is that the answer held out 11 days and annointing him starter after 2 weeks would have REALLY made them look silly.... I honestly think the fan base played a part in this decision... It took what RAC did to FINALLY convince the various camps that neither Frye nor Anderson were any freakin' good. Face it, they both had their own little camp of fans who supported them.... RAC proved to everybody what he already knew, both camps were wrong.

What was his other option? Bring in a vet? At what price to start 4 games then step aside? ... we have Dorsey, a good vet for mentoring and even to fill in if needed....

I'm loving it, RAC has restored some of my faith in him. If the team comes out Sunday and minimizes the crucial errors, I will be doubly impressed.

yebat' Putin
PitDAWG #163849 09/11/07 01:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What I said was that DA will be cut..he wasn't..and when you popped that to me I said SO WHAT?

Fact is Dorsey is back on the team where he shoulda been to mentor the yungster.
And if you think Anderson has a long term status here , forget it..he's as good as gone also.
Initally I was wrong and said so(no biggie to me since neither QB is worth much)..but they elected to get rid of Frye first.

If not,Charlie won't be let go. The whole thing was predicated on Charlie winning the competition
Not quite..CF looked horrible ..they knew his days here were gone after that performance and he never lit it up in preseason..so logically they shipped him out..
The actual plan was for the INCUMBANT starter to manage the offense till Quinn is ready..it's still the plan..but it will short circuit faster if Anderson remains the starter for long..
GMAB Dorsey has a better grasp on how to RUN A OFFENSE better than Anderson..U get that CONCEPT?

Peen as many times as you've bottomed out with your predictions and theories I wouldn't chime in if I were U.

DCDAWGFAN #163850 09/11/07 01:31 PM
Legend
Legend
DC, are you saying that RAC knew Frye was going to implode and showed the FO the truth by letting him start Sunday?

Like, he wanted Quinn to start because he was the best of the bunch.....and the FO said no.*

*and I'd like to point out that I'm only saying Quinn was the best of what we have. Not the best in the league or anything.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
CoachB #163851 09/11/07 01:33 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The part about them trading Charlie even if he had a great game against Pitt is ludicrous. Diam is hittin' the pipe again......

They can spin this any way they want but I will never believe this was anything but a knee jerk reaction to Sunday's game. And since just about everyone on the team stunk at one time or another I'm wondering whether the right guy has been sent packing........

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
DCDAWGFAN #163852 09/11/07 01:33 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
DC,
Naw man, I cannot buy this crap at all. Look, they might have known those two were not the answer and by the way they played the entire competition, I can believe it because those two did nothing to earn the job, but waiting until the first game is crap!! I cannot put this on RAC because he might make the decisions on who plays but when you are talking about trades, thats Opie and Lerner. Rac and Chud might have said all along those two were weak, but my answer is then get me a QB who can get it done now and I can wait for Quinn to develop. Dorsey is just like Detmer, all brains, no game! SO we now have to HOPE DA can hold out until BQ gets up to speed on the offense.

DCDAWGFAN #163853 09/11/07 01:34 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

What was his other option? Bring in a vet? At what price to start 4 games then step aside? ... we have Dorsey, a good vet for mentoring and even to fill in if needed....

Too many people think it's so easy to just move a player you don't like and aquire the ones you do,.....yep,....nothing to it.

Attack Dawg #163854 09/11/07 01:36 PM
Legend
Legend
Just clicking

Well, my hat is off to those that felt Charlie wasn't the guy... Apparently we will never know now but as long as the Browns win I'm good to go....

Peen,, and a few others,, My apology for ever doubting you.

wish they had one of those Graemlins that show a man bowing to his betters

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Calzone #163855 09/11/07 01:36 PM
U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
Just more speculation but this was posted on KFFL.

Browns | Quinn may start Week 2
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:30:20 -0700

Steve Doerschuk, of the Canton Repository, reports Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel has not ruled out the possibility of starting QB Brady Quinn Week 2. "There are no personnel changes we will talk about," Crennel said. "Whether I will make any (changes) or not, I will let you know the next time we meet." KFFL

crazyotto55 #163856 09/11/07 01:37 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't know Otto. After going through all of training camp, all of pre-season, and then naming Frye a starter; do you really think anyone would give up after 2 quarters?

There is knee-jerk, and then there is stupidity. Both might have been involved here, but I tend to think we knew we were not sticking with Frye. Maybe we just wanted to see what would happen after the cuts and week 1 to see what teams needed QB's.

Overall we still look like idiots, but I have/want to believe this was more than just saying we're done with Frye after 2 quarters of the first game of the season.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
crazyotto55 #163857 09/11/07 01:37 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
*L* .. Ya ... cause Frye had such a GREAT FUTURE here either way .... u still have no clue what drafting BQ meant do U???

and if we could have gotten ANYTHING for Da he would have been gone ... unfortunatly for Frye he had more trade value than BUM #2 ....

but thats OK .. VENT AWAY .... go have fun on the rAC thread and help Peenie and Pit with RAC's hood ...

Punchsmack #163858 09/11/07 01:38 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

DC, are you saying that RAC knew Frye was going to implode and showed the FO the truth by letting him start Sunday?

No, not the FO... everybody. And of course RAC knew he was going to implode... when has he NOT imploded?

Quote:

Like, he wanted Quinn to start because he was the best of the bunch.....and the FO said no.*

Hopefully the FO is not dictating who starts and who doesn't...

I honestly believe that RAC knew from early on that Quinn would be starting sooner rather than later, that he was clearly the best of the bunch, by a wide margin...

I also believe that RAC knows how he would have been ridiculed if he would have come out and said that after 2 or 3 weeks in camp.....

I don't know that he WANTED Frye to implode... my guess would be he would have rather gotten a few good games out of either him or Anderson.... and he still might, who knows, both are eratic as hell and Anderson could start against the Bengals and play well... but my guess is that while fans were saying "next year" or "second half" or "later on".. RAC was thinking... "Week 2 or 3 or 4".....

yebat' Putin
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Frye Traded

Link Copied to Clipboard