Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1639068 07/14/19 11:01 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Well Dawgs camp is just over a week away. We have been foaming at the mouth to get this started.

It has been many moons since we have had the expectations and hype that surround this years Browns.

So what player will be the surprise of this years Camp. Lots of legit candidates.

We have a bunch of guys just signed like Odell, Richardson, Vernon, Whitehead, Murray, Hunt and others.

We have rookies Greedy, Taki, Wilson.

We have a bunch of second year guys and of course some vets.

My pick surprise or not is Greedy.

First he has great talent. When you watch his tape. It looks easy for him. So natural in his movements. He has the size for the position that you look for. He has that length that really comes in handy for a corner.

But what I love about this kid is his work ethic. That is what will make him succeed. Nobody had to coach him about effort and what kind of commitment it will take. Right from the start Greedy was the first guy there in the morning. He loves the film room. That is so important for young guys and especially corners.

He has Ward to help him on the defensive side of the ball. Ward came in last year and just took over his position. Ward is a good teammate and will help Greedy.

Then you have practice and the guys he will go against everyday. You get through camp going against our receivers for hours each day. You are going to get schooled. Game day will be like a day at the beach.

So that is my pick there are many worthy guys to choose from. Make your case.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The surprise is I thought it started the 24th.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
My hope is that Hilliard is given enough reps during camp - and certainly during preseason - that he'll show us why the coaches seem to like him so much.

Maybe not a complete surprise - just a hope.

Legend
OP Online
Legend

?

V
Legend
Legend
V
This is just a hunch, but I bet Duke's tenuous place on the roster might just have had a tiny bit of influence on how the coaches perceive Hilliard. LOL

Legend
Legend
[quote=bonefish]

He's saying camp was to start on the 24..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Online
Legend

So. What has that got to do with the thread?

Pretty clear what the topic is about.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
The surprise is I thought it started the 24th.

Well today is the 14th and that means camp starts in 10 days. Bone said in his post that camp was a little over a week away.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would really like to see Robinson show us all that he has been able to get it together and play like the stud people thought he was going to be when he was drafted.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
OP Online
Legend

I agree.

If there was one guy I would like to see stud out; Robinson would be the guy.

I am really uncertain about Robinson.

Legend
Legend
Young guys that I hope really pan out

Austin Corbett
Drew Forbes
Jamie Gillan
Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi
and either Austin Seibert or Greg Joseph

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Hilliard and Njoku.

The former can seal his place if we move on from Duke. The latter needs to prove why we moved up to get him. He has a ton of potential, but we have yet to consistently see it from him. Year 3 HAS to be his breakout year.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Njoku is 23, as you noted in year 3- he might have showed up as a physical STUD, but 20 is 20- playing a MAN's game. In college, years ago-27/29 at physical peak- MENTALLY isn't mature yet either....I expect him to continue to improve both mentally and physically.
Forbes is my sleeper/surprise- hope he kicks butt and gets best out of all our want to be starter GUARDS, I want better than decent at RG.
Robinson should be fine, more than just OK....Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Some of the choices don't really seem like "surprises" to me. Greedy was picked it he second round. He has a good resume. Him playing well would not be a "surprise."

I like the aforementioned choices of Robinson, either kicker, and one of the young safeties. They all fit into the category of being somewhat of a surprise but capable of maybe surprising. If that makes any sense.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
DL depth has been my biggest concern for the entire offseason.

Dan Ekuale or,

Chad Thomas or, both

brownie

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the surprise of camp will be Calloway looking like OBJ on the other side.

Would love to see him and Higgins stud out this year.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/14/19 07:57 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Legend
Legend
D
ANTONIO CALLAWAY
WR, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Baker Mayfield has been impressed with WR Antonio Callaway this offseason.

Mayfield said, "We have been very pleasantly and very happy with how he came back from the offseason ready to go. Just how quick he is and you can tell he has been working on his craft." The Browns are excited to get Callaway against CB3s this season with Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry receiving most of the attention, but targets will be slim for the second-year receiver. Callaway will be a low-end, boom-or-bust fantasy asset as a deep threat for Mayfield.

SOURCE: ClevelandBrowns.com
Jul 14, 2019, 4:53 PM ET

T
Legend
Legend
T
ya, just looked back, when I read the topic title, I was surprised, I thought "(shoot) I missed it" I thought it didn't start for another week.

How about, Pipkins, or Whitehead.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Some if not most players being mentioned playing well in camp would not be surprising.

The surprise in camp for myself would be Drew Forbes. I would be very happy and surprised if he gets coached up and speed up his game to stop the edge rushers and stay an OT. I would prefer a surprise by one of the OL this camp...especially on the left side.

Need someone to help keep Baker waking up feeling dangerous and not beat... Not much on what ifs..But man I wish Joe Thomas was going in his 3rd season smile

Legend
OP Online
Legend

I said "surprise or not" I liked Greedy.

But I get that he may not be considered a surprise.

So, I am going with Jermaine Whitehead. This will be his 4th year. So, at 26 maybe everything comes together for him.

He got alot of positive press from the coaches as hard worker and smart guy. Seems to really know what is going on.

Maybe he earns time at safety.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'll define "surprise" as in a guy who exceeds expectations.

I'm going with Carl Davis...with Chad Thomas as choice #2. I've read where the FO was not happy that these guys weren't used more. Thomas was dinged early on and never "caught up" and Davis was quietly re-signed this off-season.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Drew Forbes. I think the guy can be really good.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
You, sir, may well have mastered the art of understatement. Certain you get that a lot LOL

But no worries! Drew R will make it all better, I suspect. Hilliard may well shine. fingerscrossed

Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Some of the choices don't really seem like "surprises" to me. Greedy was picked it he second round. He has a good resume. Him playing well would not be a "surprise."

I like the aforementioned choices of Robinson, either kicker, and one of the young safeties. They all fit into the category of being somewhat of a surprise but capable of maybe surprising. If that makes any sense.

The surprise with players like Greedy is if they totally suck.

A surprise doesn't have to be a good one.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
j/c:

Really? I didn't know that. Then again, I actually did read the first post that talked about Greedy. Here, take a look for yourself and you tell me if he was saying he would suck.

Quote:

First he has great talent. When you watch his tape. It looks easy for him. So natural in his movements. He has the size for the position that you look for. He has that length that really comes in handy for a corner.

But what I love about this kid is his work ethic. That is what will make him succeed. Nobody had to coach him about effort and what kind of commitment it will take. Right from the start Greedy was the first guy there in the morning. He loves the film room. That is so important for young guys and especially corners.

He has Ward to help him on the defensive side of the ball. Ward came in last year and just took over his position. Ward is a good teammate and will help Greedy.

Then you have practice and the guys he will go against everyday. You get through camp going against our receivers for hours each day. You are going to get schooled. Game day will be like a day at the beach.

Disclaimer: Hey bonefish............I wasn't getting on your case about this. I hope you didn't take it that way, but I can understand if you did. Sorry if it came across that way. I just would not be surprised if Greedy turns out really good. And that is just my opinion. Not saying I am right.

On the other hand: Hey peen....my sarcasm towards you was intended. LOL

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Good thread topic and I have a few. It comes from the fact that either an open position (or a position not as secure as others) or someone who has been injured and as a result, has been lost amongst the mix.

1. Jermaine Whitehead- I don't see Burnett as a lock to open the season as the starting SS and Whitehead might put a little pressure on him during training camp.

2. Seth DeValve- People are overlooking him because of his injuries but when on the field, Seth was an asset. There was an article written recently on the many creative ways Kitchens used DeValve when he was able to make it back on the field. Hopefully that continues.

HOT TAKE:

3. Sheldrick Redwine- I liked the Randall acquisition and enjoyed watching him play, but the contract extension talks have not resulted in anything yet (at least publicly) and maybe it's because the FO wants to see what Redwine has, even as a 4th rounder. This FO needs to be very judicious with future deals with Garret, Mayfield, paying Beckham,etc. so if Redwine performs well in TC, it could be interesting to see things unfold over the course of the season.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Online
Legend

All good.

I think Greedy has a shot at DROY.

The surprise is we got him in the second round.

I picked Jermaine Whitehead as the Camp surprise.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
j/c:

Really? I didn't know that. Then again, I actually did read the first post that talked about Greedy. Here, take a look for yourself and you tell me if he was saying he would suck.

Quote:

Disclaimer: Hey bonefish............I wasn't getting on your case about this. I hope you didn't take it that way, but I can understand if you did. Sorry if it came across that way. I just would not be surprised if Greedy turns out really good. And that is just my opinion. Not saying I am right.

On the other hand: Hey peen....my sarcasm towards you was intended. LOL

Actually, I was agreeing with you on Greedy. I expect him to be a good player. That wouldn't surprise me if he does. It would surprise me if he doesn't.

I agree with one of your comments about a guy like him probably shouldn't be on the list.

Understand? thumbsup

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL. Okay. Maybe. smile

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, there can be good and bad surprises- history shows us you got to KNOW the people you draft- MAJOR Browns mistakes- Gilbert- all american DB who hated football, and Johnny Manziel- the immature druggie...love the front office NOW who pick football players.....GO Browns!!!
Gilbert- two years in league and GONE- 8th overall- WOW- we got a 6th in return- damn did we waste picks in the past!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is just a hunch, but I bet Duke's tenuous place on the roster might just have had a tiny bit of influence on how the coaches perceive Hilliard. LOL

He actually had to work more with the WRs' in OTAs'.

He was making plays against our CBs' in the passing game.

He doesn't possess Dukes wiggle in the open field, but he can be another weapon.

[Linked Image]

E
Legend
Legend
E
My Surprise player that will shine in camp and win himself the full time starting position of SAM LB is Avery.He is going to shine and I personally thing he is an outstanding player and will put Collins to shame in taking over.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Online
Legend

I am very high on Avery. Thought he had a great rookie season.

Curious to see how Wilks uses him. During OTA's from what I understand they worked him as a DE.

Not sure if that was just looking or if that is the plan.

When you watch his tape what stands out is he is a strong guy. Violent hands. Very hard guy to block.

I thought last year when asked to play in space; that he did alright. There is no doubt he can rush the passer.

I expect him to make major contributions to the team this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I am very high on Avery. Thought he had a great rookie season.

Curious to see how Wilks uses him. During OTA's from what I understand they worked him as a DE.

Not sure if that was just looking or if that is the plan.

When you watch his tape what stands out is he is a strong guy. Violent hands. Very hard guy to block.

I thought last year when asked to play in space; that he did alright. There is no doubt he can rush the passer.

I expect him to make major contributions to the team this year.

See, i'm high on Avery, but not sure he fits the plan with this team. He reminds me more of a 3-4 OLB type.

Once other teams catch on to him as a pass rushing DE, he'll be limited IMO.

He's reminds me of TJ Watt.

Wish the best for him, i just don't think he'll reach his potential on this team

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
OP Online
Legend

I can understand your point.

However, we will have to see what Wilks does with him.

I agree with Tab that his place would be SAM.

Way to much talent to be wasted. I think camp will reveal a lot.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I would use Avery as an Edge rusher on passing downs.

Legend
OP Online
Legend

Don't know how that would work with Vernon?

I don't see a rotation. Vernon has a good reputation as a rusher.

I think Avery will play a lot. How I am unsure.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I can understand your point.

However, we will have to see what Wilks does with him.

I agree with Tab that his place would be SAM.

Way to much talent to be wasted. I think camp will reveal a lot.

I'd agree that SAM would be his position. For whatever reason, he seems to only be working out as a DE in OTA's. Makes me think that's what he'll be doing.

Pass Rushing DE. Useful, but he'd be far more useful on another team that runs a true 3-4. Like the Steelers or something (although i wouldn't want to trade him there of course)

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it would work because no unit subs more than the DL. They try and keep the guys as fresh as possible.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree with Vers ... last year he made a difference in the 1st half of the year when he was utilized as an edge rusher ... i get that they changed his role due to injury ... just no clue why it seemed like he never rushed the QB after they switched his roll ....

U can stunt Vernon or MG and that oughta open things up for Avery to come off the edge ... or flood an edge ... good luck dealing with him and Vernon or MG coming around the same edge ... that’s dangerous but with their ability to edge rush it could also reek havoc ...

Avery showed last year he has the ability to get around the edge affectively ... its a tool in his belt and one most don’t have ... not sure why u would want to take that tool out of his belt cause u have others that have the same tool ...

There’s plenty of edge rushing opportunities for everyone ... thumbsup

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The surprise of camp

Link Copied to Clipboard