Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

Just look at the number of posts that have absolutely NOTHING to do w/the OP. It's the same old BS that you guys always pull. Hate the other side. Name calling. Lies.

Freaking sickening.

Legend
Legend
blush

Legend
Legend
It’s funny cause his threads never fail to go sideways fast. The guy whose constantly trying to blame both sides and talk about civil debates can never seem to get the following he so desires.

An inherent problem amongst beta males.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I deleted it all. Neither of you are worth the time. I do not allow people who w/hateful souls into my everyday life and I need to learn to shun the hateful souls on this board.

Legend
Legend
blush

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I need to learn to shun the hateful souls on this board.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
You respond to us quite often for us to not be worth your time.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
So you praise Cops with one side of your mouth and condemn them with the other for assassinating Blacks. Shame.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I want to go back and expound on some of the key points of the original article. These quotes are from leaders of minority organizations and Democratic presidential candidates.

Quote:
But can Democratic politicians do that in a way that wins new converts, particularly among the white working class whose votes might decide the 2020 election in the key battleground states of Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania? Is there a way for Democrats to talk about systemic racism in a way that actually wins over white voters rather than alienating them? Robinson was clear-eyed about the challenge. “People could come to hate Trump and not love our side in return,” he said.

Robinson and other progressive leaders who spoke to Yahoo News echoed a consistent message. The way to make racial justice a political winner, they said, is to combine it with a populist message aimed at convincing working-class whites that they’ve been distracted by the politics of race while wealthy elites take advantage of middle class and poor people of all races and ethnicities.

The Rev. Greg Holston, the leader of the Philadelphia interfaith group Power, spoke at Netroots after Robinson and denounced what he called an “unholy alliance between the white elite and the white working class.”

“We cannot win … unless we build a real black and Latino and working-class white-folk coalition that can stand together,” he said.

Quote:

Immigration offers one example. The progressive message is that the business community pushed the U.S. government to take a lax enforcement approach to border security for decades because it provided them with cheap labor from South and Central America. Immigrants had no leverage to organize themselves to demand higher wages or better working conditions.

And now those same business leaders are backing Republican candidates like Trump, who pass huge tax cuts for corporations while demonizing immigrants. Meanwhile, working-class whites were also victimized by globalization and outsourcing. “The injustice of companies moving their businesses overseas, not paying taxes, and depriving the white working class of benefits and income is also an unrighteous and unjust act,” Holston, the Philadelphia preacher, told Yahoo News.

Quote:
That, however, is exactly the message that Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., are taking on the campaign trail.

“The rules are rigged because the rich and powerful have bought and paid for too many politicians. And if we dare to ask questions, they will try to divide us: pit white working people against black and brown working people so they won’t band together and demand real change,” Warren said in a commencement speech last December at Morgan State, a historically black university.

These prominent folks realize what is at stake and the importance of cooperation rather than extending the divide. They understand that it's a team effort to win rather than "give me everything I want and screw the other side. The former is the ploy of the intelligent and reasonable. The latter are the demands of the childish and hateful.

This isn't about being "liked." It's about winning a damn election where you try and work collaboratively rather than selfishly. It's about respect. Don't ask people to see things your way while you endlessly mock them and mimic the racists on the other side. That's beyond ignorant.

Some of us are more intelligent than that. We understand that reason is a good thing. We understand that not categorizing entire groups of people is a good thing. We understand that not taking advantage of one group of people so another can profit is a good thing. We understand that compromise is not the action of the weak, but a tool that can help the majority prosper.

There are many, many people w/the same mindset as Warren, the minority leaders, and myself who feel the same damn way. We are strong. We will persevere. We will win the war against hate and bias. And if we have to run your hateful asses over...............so be it!

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 07/22/19 09:22 PM. Reason: I should proofread my posts for grammar
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Well it is good to see you clarifying your previous post.

Would have been better to do that originally.

It was already apparent to everyone else.
Hey, DC... you should start typing r e a l s l o w .

Don't bother. This is another example of 40¢ trying to save face without a paper bag.
Talk about your 'losing proposition'...

Legend
Legend
I will not straighten out Clem so as not to hijack your thread further.

Legend
Legend
My PM inbox is open.
Speak your piece.

Legend
Legend
Stop it! You will get us shunned!

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I'm liking Elizabeth Warren more and more. It's early, but she seems to be in tune w/what a lot of America's values. I think she understands how to bridge the gap between the liberals and conservatives.

I'm not positive of any of that. Just an early feeling.

Legend
Legend
That is why I originally asked you if Elizabeth Warren was considered a Progressive.

I am beginning to think she will catch and pass Biden to end up with the nomination. She has been concentrating on important issues while the others fuss about Trump all the time.

Legend
Legend
her biggest issue is:

A: still a lot of concerns over the native american identity, and

B: she has a very leftist tax plan. its not as bad as bernie's, but its still up there. its gonna be a tough sell for a lot of americans. not impossible, as there's a ton of people upset about the tax cut, more specifically WHO it went to.

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't personally care about the Native American thing. It doesn't effect me at all.

The tax thing is a huge concern. I agree w/you. I still have to educate myself a lot more about all the candidates. I haven't studied them at all. I just like some of the things she says. She comes across as intelligent and fair. I think she gets how business works and that's important. I think she comes across as valuing all sects of the population. I like that. But yeah, the tax thing could be a deal killer because people freak about their taxes being raised---and understandably so.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I already answered that question. I don't classify people like that. It's not important to me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Her fumble with the Ancestry21 or whatever test she took will only matter to Trump soundbites in the general. It will garner chuckles from his base but it won't move the needle otherwise, not against people who view her sins against that of Trumps.

I give her credit for having PLANS though. I know some of them are out there but I have much more respect for someone putting their ideas in the marketplace and letting them speak for themselves. Agree or not, what other candidate is really doing that right now?

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I heard this on the way home from work yesterday on NPR and thought it was interesting.

Poll: Americans Not Sold On Trump — Or Democrats
3:49
DOWNLOAD
TRANSCRIPT
July 22, 201912:05 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered
Domenico Montanaro -
DOMENICO MONTANARO

Democratic presidential candidates are proposing lots of progressive policies in this election. And while those policies may resonate with the party base, some of those ideas are not popular with a general election electorate, according to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll.

And overall, independent voters said they were not impressed with the direction either President Trump or Democrats want to take the country at this point ahead of the 2020 election, the findings show.

"Independents are on the fence overall," said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion at Marist College, which conducted the poll. "They're not willing to grant President Trump reelection, and yet they're not persuaded by Democrats at this point."

Trump did his best in this polling since taking office, but his approval rating is still just 44%. Fewer independents are undecided about the president and give him a 42% approval rating, up from 35% in June.

The poll was conducted from July 15 to 17, after the president's July 14 tweet that four Democratic congresswomen of color, all American citizens, should "go back" to their countries of origin. The poll of 1,336 adults has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Don't see the graphic above? Click here.

What's more, by a 53%-to-39% margin, Americans said they would definitely vote against Trump, statistically unchanged from a month ago; 54% of American voters did not vote for Trump in 2016.

Among independents, a third said they would definitely vote for the president, up from one quarter. A majority — 54% — say they definitely won't, about the same as last month.

From the White House to your home — political news and analysis that matter, sent weekly.

E-mail address
What's your email?
By subscribing, you agree to NPR's terms of use and privacy policy.

The economy

There's a tremendous gap between views of the president overall and how Americans feel about the economy. Even though Trump gets just a 44% approval rating overall, 52% of registered voters approve of his handling of the economy and two-thirds — 65% — of Americans think the economy is working well for them, including 62% of independents.

Why Progressives Think Joe Biden Is Not 'Electable'
POLITICS
Why Progressives Think Joe Biden Is Not 'Electable'
"Independents are pleased with the economy, but it is not converting to a strong endorsement on his [Trump's] reelect question," Miringoff said.

So there's a political opportunity for Democrats.

But what Americans have heard about the primary so far is not necessarily giving them confidence that Democrats offer a better way. Americans split 46%-to-43% on whether Democrats would take the country in the wrong direction or right one.

And with all-important independents, more (48%) think Democrats would take the country in the wrong direction than the right one (40%).

Democratic loyalists vs. independent voters

There are areas in which Democrats' policy proposals are on solid footing with the overall electorate:

-- Requiring background checks for gun purchases or private sales (89% say it's good idea)

-- Medicare for all who want it, presenting it as an option (70%) rather than doing away completely with private health insurance (41%)

-- Regulating prescription drug prices (67%)

-- Providing a pathway to citizenship for immigrants in the U.S. illegally (64%)

-- Investing in so-called green jobs and energy efficient infrastructure (63%)

-- Increasing taxes on those making more than $1 million (62%)

-- Legalizing marijuana (63%)

-- Banning assault-style weapons (57%)

-- Raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour (56%)

Trump's 'Go Back' Rhetoric Is Sign Of A Racially Divisive And Turbulent Year To Come
ANALYSIS
Trump's 'Go Back' Rhetoric Is Sign Of A Racially Divisive And Turbulent Year To Come
Areas that are less popular include:

-- A guaranteed universal basic income of $1,000 per month for American adults (26%)

-- Providing reparations for slavery (27%)

-- Decriminalizing illegal border crossings (27%)

-- A national health insurance program that is available to immigrants in the country illegally (33%)

-- Abolishing the death penalty (36%)

-- Medicare for all replacing private health insurance (41%)

-- Getting rid of the Electoral College (42%)

"These would be issues where people would say the Democratic Party is too far to the left," Miringoff said, "and that's warranted within the data."

On "Medicare for All," "whether it is a choice or a replacement is a huge distinction in terms of how the public reacts," Miringoff added.

On rejoining the Paris climate agreement, 53% think it's a good idea and just 31% think it's a bad idea, but that leaves many undecided.

People are split or give less support to: giving free college tuition at public colleges and universities (53% said good idea, 43% said bad idea); a tax on carbon-based fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas (50% vs. 44%).

Repealing Obamacare unpopular

One area that jumps out as a warning for Republicans is repealing the Affordable Care Act.

Radical Or Incremental? What's Really In Joe Biden's Health Plan
SHOTS - HEALTH NEWS
Radical Or Incremental? What's Really In Joe Biden's Health Plan
Just 44% think it's a good idea, while 51% think it's a bad one. The degree to which the tide has turned on that issue is remarkable considering how much the fight over so-called Obamacare helped Republicans in 2010 while President Barack Obama was in office.

Republicans voted to repeal the law dozens of times while Obama was in office, but with full control in Washington during Trump's first two years, they were not able to repeal or replace the health care law in full.

The divided states of America

One major takeaway from the poll is that America is a nation divided. Democrats and Republicans are worlds apart on the things they think are good ideas. Some of the widest splits on what the parties thought were good ideas were:

-- Rejoining the Paris climate agreement (63 points)

-- Investing in green jobs (60 points)

-- Repealing Obamacare (60 points)

-- $15 minimum wage (58 points)

-- Free college at public colleges and universities (57 points)

-- Increasing taxes on those making more than $1 million (56 points)

-- Health care for immigrants in country illegally (54 points)

-- Semi-automatic weapons ban (54 points)

Don't see the graphic above? Click here.

Of the 20 policy proposals respondents were asked about, many of which have been floated by Democratic presidential candidates, a majority of Democrats were in favor of 16 of them.

A majority of independents thought 12 were good ideas, while a majority of Republicans, as to be expected, were in favor of just three — repealing Obamacare, stricter gun background checks and regulating prescription drug prices.

2020 Democratic primary

There are lots of reasons to discount who has the early lead in primary polls, and that is borne out again in this survey — 82% of Democrats or Democratic-leaning independents say they have not yet made up their mind in the Democratic primary.

2nd Democratic Primary Debate Matchups Set: Sanders Vs. Warren And Biden Vs. Harris
POLITICS
2nd Democratic Primary Debate Matchups Set: Sanders Vs. Warren And Biden Vs. Harris
That is pretty much unchanged from a month ago, when 84% said their minds were not yet made up. A majority (54%) though say they want a nominee who can beat Trump rather than one who shares their position on most issues (42%).

That's a 13-point swing from last month when 47% said they wanted someone who shared their position on most issues versus 46% who said they wanted someone who has the best chance of beating Trump.

The poll of 1,346 adults was conducted from July 15 to 17. The respondents were reached by telephone, both cellphone and landline, with live callers. It has a margin of error of +/- 3.5 percentage points. The survey reached 1,175 registered voters and has a margin of error for that group of +/- 3.7 percentage points. There were 553 Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents interviewed. Results referring to Democrats' views therefore have a margin of error of +/- 5.4 percentage points.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/22/743516166...mp-or-democrats

Legend
Legend
I don't personally care about the Native American thing. It doesn't effect me at all.

doesn't change that its gonna be an issue. how big or small, we shall see.

Quote:

The tax thing is a huge concern. I agree w/you. I still have to educate myself a lot more about all the candidates. I haven't studied them at all. I just like some of the things she says. She comes across as intelligent and fair. I think she gets how business works and that's important. I think she comes across as valuing all sects of the population. I like that. But yeah, the tax thing could be a deal killer because people freak about their taxes being raised---and understandably so.

her work on the CFPB should be highlighted non stop, as she was amazing trying to represent us against corporations.

and let me clear; her tax plan is better than Bernies, IMO. i've said it before, bernie's tax plan will make even the europeans go "yo slow your roll".

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: gage
Her fumble with the Ancestry21 or whatever test she took will only matter to Trump soundbites in the general. It will garner chuckles from his base but it won't move the needle otherwise, not against people who view her sins against that of Trumps.

I give her credit for having PLANS though. I know some of them are out there but I have much more respect for someone putting their ideas in the marketplace and letting them speak for themselves. Agree or not, what other candidate is really doing that right now?

thats the thing though, that dna test is gonna be attacked by his 35% automatically. the concern is that its gonna start bleeding over to the liberals.

for you and Vers: understand guys, i personally dont think its a big deal anymore, as she's done enough to have us move on from that. however, the big picture issue is that whether we like or not, because of the SJW era and such, liberals and people who lean left is gonna have a tough time with this because we keep claiming that minorties are marginalize, so the right will CORRECTLY wonder why we arent outraged over a white woman stealing identities in order to gain an advantage in her career?

its a problem.

as far as her policies, i like them overall. but again, 2020 is also gonna be about character. and while she certainly has a better character than trump to US, to others.....its an easy avenue to attack her over.

thats all im saying.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
2020 is also gonna be about character. and while she certainly has a better character than trump

2020 will be about character with the Left.
2020 will be about the Economy and Jobs with the Right.

Economy Trumps Character in National Elections.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 07/23/19 02:25 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Economy Trumps Character

The right should put that on a bumper sticker... they could put it right between this one..

and this one...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I mistakenly assumed you would comprehend we were talking in a National Election, not in personal life.

Fixed it to help with comprehension.

My error. rolleyes

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 07/23/19 02:26 PM.
Legend
Legend
Kristyunz, DC.
Now you know why.

I like your idea. That tailgate tag would serve as ID badges.

Legend
Legend
it wont though.

the right has shown they cant get past their disdain for immigrants and non christians long enough to focus on the economy.

hell, Trump can't even focus on the economy. economic numbers dropped a while ago, and was good.

but trump couldnt even tweet about it. why?

he was too busy starting twitter beefs with SNL.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
And here come the attacking minions. rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think you may very well be right, and if we continue to let perfect be the enemy of good we will continue on our authoritarian path.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
it wont though.

the right has shown they cant get past their disdain for immigrants and non christians long enough to focus on the economy.

hell, Trump can't even focus on the economy. economic numbers dropped a while ago, and was good.

but trump couldnt even tweet about it. why?

he was too busy starting twitter beefs with SNL.

Sorry but the recent immigrants are leaning more and more towards Trump because they don't like losing their jobs and the safety of their neighborhoods to ILLEGALS either.

Legend
Legend
you've had two years to pass E-verfiy, but didn't.

the country is well aware of the rights lip service to "fixing" immigration.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
It is sad but sooner or later a Terrorist or group thereof will use the Lefts porous, open border to hit us hard.

It will all be on you.

Legend
Legend
I mistakenly assumed you would comprehend we were talking in a National Election, not in personal life.

My error. rolleyes

So you are voting for Trump because of his character?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
It is sad but sooner or later a Terrorist or group thereof will use the Lefts porous, open border to hit us hard.

It will all be on you.

like the terrorist who came through and committed 9/11 under republicans watch?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

My error. rolleyes

So you are voting for Trump because of his character?

I will be voting for Trump because...

-Almost 4 million jobs have been created since his election.

-More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history.

-He has created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since his election.

-New unemployment claims recently hit a 49-year low.

-African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.

-Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded.

-Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.

I could go on but won't.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 07/23/19 02:43 PM.
Legend
Legend
Oh yea, and another really big one...

2 Conservative/Constitutionalist Supreme Court picks and

One-fifth of the judges on federal appeals courts have been installed by Trump. All Conservative/Constitutionalists.

thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c:

Just look at the number of posts that have absolutely NOTHING to do w/the OP. It's the same old BS that you guys always pull. Hate the other side. Name calling. Lies.

Freaking sickening.

It was so nice to see you following your own advice.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

One-fifth of the judges on federal appeals courts have been installed by Trump. All Conservative/Constitutionalists.

thumbsup

Yup...Building a dictatorship. Enjoy

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
If you don't draw a distinction between true followers of Christ and demagogues, you probably belong to Group B.

Group A gets my admiration, love and support.
Group B gets the back of my hand.

Q: How do I tell the difference?
A: Matthew 7:16

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

thumbsup

From Fox News:

For the first time in more than three decades, Republican-appointed judges will soon occupy nearly half the seats on the left-leaning 9th Circuit Court of Appeals — dealing a setback to progressive legal advocates who have long seen the court as a safe bet for favorable rulings.

nanner thumbsup

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus How Progressives Can Win the Election

Link Copied to Clipboard