Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns need to sign Mike Daniels at all costs
by Cody Williams 4 hours ago Follow @TheSizzle20

The Cleveland Browns have made splash additions all offseason but landing Mike Daniels would be perhaps their most important if they can get a deal done.

There has been nothing quiet about the Cleveland Browns in the 2019 offseason. From signing running back Kareem Hunt,to trading for Olivier Vernon and, of course, Odell Beckham Jr. to even drafting Greedy Williams, general manager John Dorsey has made his intentions of winning now abundantly clear. Those aspirations can be further realized if the team can land Mike Daniels.

Daniels was released by the Green Bay Packers on Wednesday in a shocking cap-cutting move. Now Daniels is on the open market and the Browns are clearly interested. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the defensive tackle’s first visit is to Cleveland.

The Browns have been interested in increasing the talent and depth at defensive tackle for some time now. When Gerald McCoy was released by that Tamp Bay Buccaneers earlier this offseason, Dorsey and Cleveland were in on trying to land the perennial Pro-Bowler. Thus, it stands to reason they’d want to add another highly effective veteran that has now hit the open market.

There’s no question that the defensive line in Cleveland should be a strength in the 2019 season. Myles Garrett looks primed to become a star, Vernon should help complement him on the opposite edge, Larry Ogunjobi showed tremendous promise last season and free-agent newcomer Sheldon Richardson isn’t anyone to write off.

While that may be so, the depth on the interior of the line behind Ogunjobi and Richardson is a bit suspect. Brian Price and Trevon Coley comprise the two primary backups for that unit and, while they are fine for sparingly dispersed snaps, they aren’t players that a defense feels comfortable consistently rotating onto the field.

Ill effects of poor depth at defensive tackle showed up last season where Ogunjobi was, in essence, run into the ground. That’s not the way to effectively use high-end defensive line talent. That’s where a three-man rotation with Daniels, Ogunjobi and Richardson would become dangerous. That would give the Browns three Pro-Bowl caliber defensive tackles to rotate in and keep fresh while never relenting the pressure up the middle.

Considering that Daniels was set to make $10.7 million from Green Bay in 2019, one would have to assume that he would get a deal either in that range or even slightly cheaper on a one-year rental for the 30-year old stalwart up front. And while that’s no small amount of money, it’s an amount that Dorsey and the Browns shouldn’t be wary of giving out.

Daniels has proven to be a pass-rushing force up the middle this season, a player that can truly break up any play with his presence. Given just that and the fact that he can be a key piece to keeping the rest of the defense healthy and at their best, cost should not be an issue — especially for a Cleveland team that still has $34 million in cap space remaining, per Over the Cap.

This should be a no-brainer for Cleveland in terms of signing Daniels. He’s a high-end player that answers and immediate need with almost no question marks, save for an injury that nagged him last season, and that they have the money to land. It would have to go down as a loss of the veteran defensive tackle doesn’t end up on the Browns.

Link

thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Why do the Browns keep searching for veteran defensive tackles? Browns Take
Updated Jul 25, 8:56 PM; Posted Jul 25, 8:14 PM
Mike Daniels, right, with the Packers. (AP Photo, Mike Roemer)

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns had Mike Daniels in for a visit on Thursday. This marks the first visit for the former Packers defensive tackle and he plans on making more to other NFL teams.

Does this sound familiar? It should. We did this same dance last month ago after the Buccaneers cut Gerald McCoy loose. McCoy took a tour of teams that included the Browns and eventually decided to sign in Carolina.

The NFL is an actions speak louder than words league. So what can we read into the fact that the Browns continue courting veteran defensive tackles as they become available? They appear set at the top of their depth chart. Not far from where Daniels was visiting on Thursday afternoon, defensive end Myles Garrett was singing the praises of the incumbent, Larry Ogunjobi.

“I think he’s ready (to reach his full potential) right now,” Garrett said of his draft classmate. “It’s all about staying healthy and being on the field. As long as he maintains that, he can be one of the most dominant defensive tackles.”

The pursuit of more at that position isn’t necessarily a referendum on Ogunjobi. How could it be? He had a strong season a year ago and there’s no reason to think he can’t make a jump again in Year 3. There’s certainly no reason to not find out if he can.

Here’s the reality: He suffered a torn biceps last season and played the final month of the season regardless. Still, after suffering that injury against Houston in Week 13, he played 51, 53, 36 and 57 snaps over the season’s final four games.

Prior to the injury, his snap numbers were even higher. He played 79 snaps in Week 1 against Pittsburgh and again in Week 4 against Oakland. He played 76 in Week 5 against Baltimore and 84 in Week 7 against Tampa Bay. His lowest snap total over the season’s first nine games was 48 against the Chargers, and that was still 80 percent of the defensive snaps in a blowout loss.

So whether the Browns really like Ogunjobi or still have some questions about him, adding a veteran tackle like Daniels who can play either inside position is only going to help Ogunjobi and Sheldon Richardson, whether Daniels starts or works in a part-time role.

Working in that part-time role might give Daniels pause about signing here. If he chooses the Browns, he can make them better simply by reducing the workload on the two men currently at the top of the depth chart.

Link

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It’d be really nice to sign him. I wouldn’t call it a MUST sign, but it’d add a lot to our defense IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
Damn

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
i didn't think we really had a shot when NE and KC want him too. I think our visit was a courtesy to our FO from having prior relationship

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Dorsey doesn't seem to be a pressure salesman. If you really want them, you lock them down when you got them in house. Don't let anyone else have a chance. Make them an offer they can't refuse and seal the deal.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Given the connections to the Packers we have, you'd think we'd be a shoe in to nab Daniels...

Still not sure it's a worthwhile spend given where we sit at the moment, but it wouldn't hurt.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As it stands right now... There's plenty of rotation on the D line...

My concern is the depth on the O line...

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'd really like that depth in the middle with a solid pash-rushing DT. It ain't over til it's over, but him leaving without a contract isn't the sign I was hoping for.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
My concern is the starters on the O-Line much less the depth ... were gonna miss Zietler the question is how much ... the tackles are questionable at best in pass blocking ...

This is by far my biggest concern ....

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'm far more worried about the defense. For far too long, we've sat back and watched as teams run at will on us. Games we thought we won were pulled from our grasp as team marched down the field and controlled the clock. We need defensive line...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
I’m not as concerned about the D either, but any depth on the interior of the DL is a big addition IMO

Legend
Legend

There is no way you can control this kind of process when agents are in control.

Their job is to seek the best deal. You don't know till you talk to the people who are serious about signing you.

The agents will do their job. I expect a decision before Monday.

Have no idea where he will sign.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
My concern is the starters on the O-Line much less the depth ... were gonna miss Zietler the question is how much ... the tackles are questionable at best in pass blocking ...

This is by far my biggest concern ....

Agreed. If we were to lure a big name Trent at LT may be more worthwhile to help secure our line. But, if Dorsey goes and gets Daniels...in Dorsey we trust.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
I'm far more worried about the defense. For far too long, we've sat back and watched as teams run at will on us. Games we thought we won were pulled from our grasp as team marched down the field and controlled the clock. We need defensive line...

Not at the expense of ignoring improvements at Linebacker,
And Spare me the line about the linebackers can't make plays because the O-line blew past the D-line Because

The D-Line Players are Already ON The Team!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Legend
Legend
C

C
Legend
Legend
C
Dorsey obviously can’t close.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Dorsey obviously can’t close.

What makes you think Dorsey wanted to sign Him ? Mike is 30 years old..6 foot tall and 300 pounds.. Can he break through the line and tackle guys in the back field ?

V
Legend
Legend
V
The Detroit Lions????

Let's see........New England are the SB Champs. The Ravens won their division last year. The Browns are the most hyped team of the off-season.

And he chooses the Paper Lions? [hint: there is a double meaning w/the word choice of paper...LOL]

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
The Detroit Lions????

Let's see........New England are the SB Champs. The Ravens won their division last year. The Browns are the most hyped team of the off-season.

And he chooses the Paper Lions? [hint: there is a double meaning w/the word choice of paper...LOL]

The Gerald McCoy effect (playing the team that cut you twice a year)?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Maybe, but I was thinking it must have been all about money. But, I haven't seen his contract. I was just guessing. And for you young folks, Paper Lion was a book written by the author George Plimpton and he actually "tried out" for the Lions. They later made a movie out of it and I think Alan Alda played the lead.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The fact he’s still an extremely productive run stuffer and OLman eater upper and we could use one of those ...

I respect u too much to have just said ... cause he’s not a moron ... wink ...

We brought this dude and McCoy in for a reason ... not sure why he ended up in Detroit as opposed to here other than he wants to try and stick it up GB’s butt twice a year like McCoy did ...

BUMMED bigtime we lost him but glad he went to Detroit ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The Detroit Lions????

The Gerald McCoy effect (playing the team that cut you twice a year)?

Gerald McCoy released by Bucs, heads to Carolina.
Mike Daniels released by Green Bay, heads to Detroit.
Morgan Burnett released by Pittsburgh, heads to Cleveland.

We do want players who take things personally.

https://twitter.com/KenCarman/status/1154850333715251200

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 07/26/19 04:53 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Looks like money probably talked with this case

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As w McCoy, if he didn’t come here, glad he is not in the division

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure if it's all about money.. could be playing time. Idk but what if he was told he was going to play behind Ogunjobi ?

I do like the playing against his former team twice theory. And because my cousin played for the Lions.. I would like to see them do well..

My wish is to see a Browns / Lions Super Bowl with the Browns winning by a last minuet TD brownie

B
Legend
Legend
B
Except we always lose to the Lions. The all time series isn't good.

Regular season 4-16. Championships 1-3

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Time to change that Mr Ballpeen smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His old 31 year old body needs retirement plans.

Legend
Legend

He is way better than Robinson. Not even close.

D
Legend
Legend
D
This is DIFFERENT my friend ....

Who cares about what happened last year much less 10 years ago ...

This is DIFFERENT!!!! .... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
He is way better than Robinson. Not even close.

Aging injured vets..Is that the false hopes that still the minds of brown fan ?

Has talent been so bad that Brown fan feels old injured vets will come alive and tear it up ?

Yep they will tear it up..and ice it down then miss half the season and collect a season worth of money.

Legend
Legend

[color:#FFCC33]https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAHDP...HaigD9sQ4dUDCAo

Silverman: Smith, Williams and Bakhtiari Are NFL's Best Offensive Tackles
OTHER RANKINGS: QB | RB | WR | TE. ...
1.Tyron Smith, Dallas Cowboys. ...
Trent Williams, Washington Redskins. ...
David Bakhtari, Green Bay Packers. ...
Lane Johnson, Philadelphia Eagles. ...
Taylor Lewan, Tennessee Titans. ...
Andrew Whitworth, Los Angeles Rams.

Legend
Legend
I think Washington will re-sign him, just based on them releasing Foster to clear 5 more million

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
The Detroit Lions????

Yep. He ain't looking to Win.

$ move.

But JD can't Close. LMAO

Legend
Legend
It might also be a PT move as well.

But I see that they gave him 9 million for one year ... we probably offered around 6 IMO

V
Legend
Legend
V
cfrs was a Sashi guy, but I think he was being sarcastic in this particular case.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Daniels has been a good player. He's over 30 and coming off an injury, though. If he wanted to be here, fine. Not sure he is someone to chase, though. I wonder how his health is.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mike Daniels Visits Cleveland

Link Copied to Clipboard