Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Legend
Legend
P
There's no such thing as having too many pass rushers.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Avery will be a camp story to watch.

This is what has been said in regards to Avery.

"Avery is one, shining in pass-rush scenarios as a rookie and rising as a possible replacement for the departed Jamie Collins. "He plays with his hair on fire," run game coordinator/linebackers coach Al Holcomb said of Avery. "He plays fast, his effort is relentless, he's physical at the point of attack. Those are the things, the intrinsic things that he brings to the table, that he brings to this defense, just his overall ability and his willingness and pursuit to get to the football. And he's a pretty good pass rusher as well."
====================================================

High praise. I remember when he was drafted. Didn't know a thing about him. Pulled up college game tape. And was like "who is this dude?" He looked good to me.

So, just another story to follow.

If things were different. I would rent a place in Berea. Just go all in and watch everything possible. Really looking forward to see how this team comes together and plays.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I agree with Vers ... last year he made a difference in the 1st half of the year when he was utilized as an edge rusher ... i get that they changed his role due to injury ... just no clue why it seemed like he never rushed the QB after they switched his roll ....

U can stunt Vernon or MG and that oughta open things up for Avery to come off the edge ... or flood an edge ... good luck dealing with him and Vernon or MG coming around the same edge ... that’s dangerous but with their ability to edge rush it could also reek havoc ...

Avery showed last year he has the ability to get around the edge affectively ... its a tool in his belt and one most don’t have ... not sure why u would want to take that tool out of his belt cause u have others that have the same tool ...

There’s plenty of edge rushing opportunities for everyone ... thumbsup

That was a great post, not just in substance but in style. I wish more menZas could write like you.

wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Change things ... *L* ...

Love to have u their getting your thoughts ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

That was a great post, not just in substance but in style. I wish more menZas could write like you.

wink

Diam followed w/this:

Quote:
Love to have u their getting your thoughts ...

Sorry Diam, but that was too good to pass up. brownie

B
Legend
Legend
B
There their their

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
I already consider Callaway as maybe the best receiver on the team, at least potentially, and that's not taking anything away from the All Stars at Wr whom they signed in the last two years.

I saw pretty decent greatness in Callaways tape the day they drafted him, and I think he had about 6 TD's called back, for whatever reason, penalty or other nonsense, About 6 Td's called back, just last year.

Callaway, balling out? Isn't/wouldn't be a surprise to me, the "surprise" is how come it takes so long for other people to see it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I like Calloway. He's got to get better though, guys are in front of him now, or challenging him for time.

Luckily we have a QB who can find an open guy, make a swift decision and pound it in there.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Higgins is one to watch for me ... Callaway gets more love w/the media, but Higgins and Baker have good chemistry

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m really curious to see how snaps break down with that group after VG/OBJ ...

With Calloway’s physical talent i’d Imagine he’d be third in snaps ... then after that you’d figure Higgins ... but who knows ... will be interesting to see how that turns out ...

Also curious to see what Freddie does when we get a lead ... he don’t remind me of the type thats gonna sit on a lead and milk the clock ... we’ll see ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Also curious to see what Freddie does when we get a lead ... he don’t remind me of the type thats gonna sit on a lead and milk the clock ... we’ll see ...

I tend to agree with this.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
What did we do on offense last year when we got a big lead on the Bengals? Anyone remember?

D
Legend
Legend
D
No ... what? ...

It is all we have to go on ... here’s how i’d break it down before u tell us ..

Given last years situation with a rookie QB starting and not near the talent we have on O this year ... and not just OBJ and Hunt (like their not an embarrassment of riches ... man is is good to be us .. *L* ) ... Calloway has a shot to be real special also and if their was ever a set up for a break out season ... when DC’s game plan he’s gonna be at best the 3rd worry just in the passing game ...

Focus dude focus .... *L* ...

If Freddie kept his foot on the pedal last year there’s no reason to think with bake having a year of experience and all the talent we added he’ll decide to ease up now ... that wouldn’t make much sense now would it ...

If he took his foot off the gas last year the question is WHY ... is that his philosophy or was it because he had a rookie QB and not much talent on that side of the ball ....

OK ... what he do? ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't really remember. LOL

I was asking.

I do remember posters complaining after the game how we got too conservative and let them back in the game. I don't think I agreed w/them. As you probably know, I think "fans" overreact to how coaches handle play calling.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
No ... what? ...

It is all we have to go on ... here’s how i’d break it down before u tell us ..

Given last years situation with a rookie QB starting and not near the talent we have on O this year ... and not just OBJ and Hunt (like their not an embarrassment of riches ... man is is good to be us .. *L* ) ... Calloway has a shot to be real special also and if their was ever a set up for a break out season ... when DC’s game plan he’s gonna be at best the 3rd worry just in the passing game ...

Focus dude focus .... *L* ...

If Freddie kept his foot on the pedal last year there’s no reason to think with bake having a year of experience and all the talent we added he’ll decide to ease up now ... that wouldn’t make much sense now would it ...

If he took his foot off the gas last year the question is WHY ... is that his philosophy or was it because he had a rookie QB and not much talent on that side of the ball ....

OK ... what he do? ...

Now that's a question a good reporter would ask Freddie before the season. Unfortunately.....

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
What did we do on offense last year when we got a big lead on the Bengals? Anyone remember?

The second game wasn't really a blowout. That was the game they lost Dalton and their backup came in and did what all backups do to our defenses. He looked like an all-pro and started bringing them back. In that game, though our last 2 drives were pretty run-heavy, with a couple big passes. The 3rd from the last drive was more sustained and had a more balanced run/pass ratio.

The first Cinci game was more lopsisded (35-20). This was week 12 (Hue and Haley were gone, right?)
The second half saw 6 Cleveland drives, in which a total of 4 passes were attempted (the first drive of the half came off a Cinci fumble and Baker tossed a short pass into the endzone for a TD, the others were mixed in throughout the drives, were various distances and I think only 1 more was completed). The final drive was a 2-play drive, where the final play was a kneel. I'm running through the play-by-plays very quickly, so I may not be 100% accurate. Except for that early 3rd quarter TD, all drives ended in punts.

The run/pass ratio was very lopsided, so Freddie (he was OC at this point, right?) most definitely took his foot off the gas. The only argument I can think of is that, back in week 12, where was Baker in terms of his handle on the playbook/teammates? I don't remember. Freddie may have felt he had to be cautious with the new QB. I don't remember.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks. The 35-20 game was the one I was talking about.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

The second game wasn't really a blowout. That was the game they lost Dalton and their backup came in and did what all backups do to our defenses. He looked like an all-pro and started bringing them back. In that game, though our last 2 drives were pretty run-heavy, with a couple big passes. The 3rd from the last drive was more sustained and had a more balanced run/pass ratio.

The first Cinci game was more lopsisded (35-20). This was week 12 (Hue and Haley were gone, right?)
The second half saw 6 Cleveland drives, in which a total of 4 passes were attempted (the first drive of the half came off a Cinci fumble and Baker tossed a short pass into the endzone for a TD, the others were mixed in throughout the drives, were various distances and I think only 1 more was completed). The final drive was a 2-play drive, where the final play was a kneel. I'm running through the play-by-plays very quickly, so I may not be 100% accurate. Except for that early 3rd quarter TD, all drives ended in punts.

The run/pass ratio was very lopsided, so Freddie (he was OC at this point, right?) most definitely took his foot off the gas. The only argument I can think of is that, back in week 12, where was Baker in terms of his handle on the playbook/teammates? I don't remember. Freddie may have felt he had to be cautious with the new QB. I don't remember.

We also have no idea if Greg was in the MIC telling Freddie to lay off and let his Def finish it up. ALL SPECULATION, but that does seem like something Greg would do.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I’m really curious to see how snaps break down with that group after VG/OBJ ...

With Calloway’s physical talent i’d Imagine he’d be third in snaps ... then after that you’d figure Higgins ... but who knows ... will be interesting to see how that turns out ...

I hope he milks things a bit if we have a 2 TD lead in the 4th. Before the 4th QTR, you don't milk anything unless you are up by maybe 30 pts.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I hope he milks things a bit if we have a 2 TD lead in the 4th. Before the 4th QTR, you don't milk anything unless you are up by maybe 30 pts.

Over the past 20 years we have been the NFL's ragdoll, punching bag and bully toy...It's now our time to seek revenge. The rise of the ancient champions! Honestly, unless FK is worried about 1st team injuries or wants to give them some rest...no matter how inflated the score is in our favor, I'd love it if he goes in every game and literally plays to keep scoring until the final whistle is blown. No rest for the wicked once the sleeping giant has been awakened!!

Legend
Legend
One thing I was really impressed with last year, with Freddie calling the plays, is that 3rd and long wasn't a "give up" type run right up the gut. I can remember so many 3rd and long, even buried in our own end of the field, being converted. Baker completed better than 55% on 3rd and 8+.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
One thing I was really impressed with last year, with Freddie calling the plays, is that 3rd and long wasn't a "give up" type run right up the gut. I can remember so many 3rd and long, even buried in our own end of the field, being converted. Baker completed better than 55% on 3rd and 8+.

thumbsup That just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling because it's always been the other team doing that to us.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Jc

I’d also guess we see some of the 3 RB backfield again, especially when Hunt returns

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Over the past 20 years we have been the NFL's ragdoll, punching bag and bully toy...It's now our time to seek revenge. The rise of the ancient champions! Honestly, unless FK is worried about 1st team injuries or wants to give them some rest...no matter how inflated the score is in our favor, I'd love it if he goes in every game and literally plays to keep scoring until the final whistle is blown. No rest for the wicked once the sleeping giant has been awakened!!

I understand. I feel like that until the 4th Qtr. Not on D. No prevent D's until it is Hail Mary time for them.

On O, the clock is your 12th man when ahead. Snap the ball with 2 seconds on the clock, maybe 3, run the ball, and throw high percentage passes to keep the clock running. Run time or make them use timeouts. That's smart football.

I say snap the ball on 2 or 3 seconds because if you wait to 1, the backers can make really good jumps. Still keep them on their heels a bit. At least keep them honest.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

While reading this sentence a thought came to mind:

Look at this line-up. It's great at the top, really good at the depth spots... with so little drop-off in quality between tiers. That is so frickkin huge. Browns have always been starved for not only #1 talent, but also depth of any sort- at almost every position.

If I'm an opposing DC, I'm not sure how to defense a squad that is this stacked from top to bottom.

#embarrassmentofriches

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Yeah I agree Clem ... I always think having a versatile/deep roster is nearly as important as having top tier talent (and in the past we haven’t even had that)

Gone are the days of relying on Cribbs or Gabriel or Hawkins to be our big threat

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Yeah I agree Clem ... I always think having a versatile/deep roster is nearly as important as having top tier talent (and in the past we haven’t even had that)

Gone are the days of relying on Cribbs or Gabriel or Hawkins to be our big threat

If you're naming post-return "superstars", gotta include Northcutt!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Training camp starts tomorrow. It gets real now.

We're ridiculously deep at WR, so probably no surprises there. But when I think of Willies, I see 6'4" speed merchant at 207 lbs in only his second year in the NFL. He acquitted himself well last year, and with the experience with Mayfield, and the competition against a stout defense in camp, he should really take a leap. Watching....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am interested to see what Strong does.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

Doesn't camp begin July 24th?

Legend
Legend
Haha yeah Northcutt, Andra Davis, Quincy Morgan, Chiaverini, etc .. loved that group

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

You're right~ Can't blame a guy for getting excited. I saw Demarious Randall in the house during the Browns online radiocast yesterday though.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 07/18/19 11:27 AM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZ766ZKjZA

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/03...ie-collins.html

What you all have to remember he was a rookie and he has made the transition to LB...it doesn't mean on passing situations that he doesn't take on a DE look as we move Garrett inside or Vernon.
Although I like him in 2 point moving all around the DL on passing downs

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZ766ZKjZA

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/03...ie-collins.html

What you all have to remember he was a rookie and he has made the transition to LB...it doesn't mean on passing situations that he doesn't take on a DE look as we move Garrett inside or Vernon.
Although I like him in 2 point moving all around the DL on passing downs

From your article...

Matt Miller, Bleacher Report: “Genard Avery has a diverse skill set that should intrigue teams looking for a linebacker to play on the line of scrimmage. He's likely best as a strong-side linebacker in a 4-3 defense or an outside linebacker in a 3-4. He has more than enough athleticism given his thick frame, but the instincts and vision needed to diagnose NFL offenses in motion are lacking and limit his ability as a true inside linebacker.

That's what we have heard, are still hearing, and watched for ourselves. When he reacts quickly to plays, he'll pop off the screen at times.
I know instincts and "twitch" are intangible traits, in a sense, but doesn't good coaching and confidence allow a good athlete to improve them? Many a great coach would just tell a player like that to "let 'er rip and learn from your mistakes". I think if Avery can get to a point where his confidence matches his athleticism, and "football IQ" improve, he can play any down, any situation, inside and out. He's got the talent. Two weeks of the James Harrison Hip Thrust Workout would put him on the fast track. Do you think he'll take a big leap in his second year?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

You're right~ Can't blame a guy for getting excited. I saw Demarious Randall in the house during the Browns online radiocast yesterday though.
I think Denver already opened up camp? Or maybe today ... regardless, we should start seeing guys trickle into Berea now

T
Legend
Legend
T
It's about getting the job done, one play at a time.

It's about the next play.

Legend
OP Online
Legend

From what was published about camp the other day Derrick Willies had a good day.

Last year before he was injured he was doing well.

He really intrigues me. He is 6'4" 210 lb. Has got speed. Catches the ball clean. I love tall receivers with speed. When they learn how to use their body when covered they win a lot of 50/50 balls.

We have size at tight end. We are showing in camp a lot of plays going to TE's in the end zone.

Having a guy like Willies is another option that favors us in match ups. I would like to see him win one of those last receiver spots.

Our third and fourth receivers options would start on many teams.

I would hate to game plan against the Browns. We have so many ways to skin the cat.

Legend
Legend
Ever since last year’s TC, Baker has had good chemistry with Williies, Ratley, and Higgins ... I think all 3 stick, unless Ratley can’t make the field

D
Legend
Legend
D
THATS MY BOY ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Takitaki

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The surprise of camp

Link Copied to Clipboard